lb calls out ariza again...
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/6/2006  11:35 AM
FYI on Eddie's scoring:
Reached double figures in scoring on 170 occasions, with 49 games of 20+ points and two 30+ point outings
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
SlimPack
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1009
USA
1/6/2006  11:37 AM
Posted by fishmike:

FYI on Eddie's scoring:
Reached double figures in scoring on 170 occasions, with 49 games of 20+ points and two 30+ point outings

yeh good point about the scoring, I actually came back to this thread to delete that part of my post, but now I dont know if I should since you responded to it.
EWING33BXNY
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #625
USA
1/6/2006  11:52 AM
I really don't know why LB is entertaining this guy. He is TRASH, BOTTOMLINE. He has not done anything to improve himself whatsoever and then has the AUDACITY to speak to the press. I guess he doesn't realize that he is one of those players that needs to be seen and not heard. Watching that guy on the court is sickening . I'm so glad LB has him BURIED on the Bench.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/6/2006  12:07 PM
slim... thing is I agree with you. I dont really see Curry as a post scorer per say. Not like Ewing was, or LJ or even Sweetney or Mo T. Those guys have an array of tools they can use to get off good shots. Curry is however a dynamic finisher, among the best in the league. This is part of the reason I love having 2 guys that can penetrate on the floor with Curry. With a Marbury and Nate backcourt it gives you two guys that can attack the paint. It doesnt matter if the D collapses on them or they get bottled up. If they can get the ball to EC its a dunk. If they miss a layup in traffic there's a good shot EC is there to clean up. We saw Nazr have 20 point 15 rebound games last year doing just that. I think you will see Curry have some MONSTER games doing the same, as he's just a bit better than Nazr.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
1/6/2006  12:26 PM
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by SlimPack:

also I disagree with the author of this article, I still dont like the way curry plays. I think he is a Power Forward and not a center.

are you kidding me?

of course not, do you really think that curry is a good center? becuase I think he's a pretty bad one. his post up moves are worse than david lee's, its good that he has been cutting down on his offensive fouls but he's still utterly incapable of passing out of double teams for some wierd reason. He's alot more useful when he can use his nimbleness and athletism to charge to the hoop. A center in my opinion should be responsible for passing sometimes, whereas it PF's dont, so it would be easier for him there. thats what i think anyay.

No disrespect intended, but...

I understand that is your opinion, but it really makes no sense what so ever... Can you even attempt to explain that one?
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
1/6/2006  12:37 PM
As Marv said in another thread "It's part of the deal with the devil. " This is what you get with Larry Brown. I'd prefer he not do it, but I don't really think it's that big a deal.

Hopefully Ariza isn't suicidal and will focus his attention on performing well in practice and in games. In any event, I'm sure he'll survive.

[Edited by - BASKETBALLJONES on 01-06-2006 12:42 PM]
https:// It's not so hard.
Finestrg
Member: #1069

1/6/2006  12:45 PM
I know a lot of you guys probably aren't with me on this, and that's fine, but the bottom line on this kid Ariza, for me, is this:
He came out of college way too early. Whoever told this poor kid that his game was ready for the NBA and that he should declare for the 2004 draft should be shot. For him to come out after only 1 season for the Bruins (and a rather poor season at that if you look at the #s - 23% on college 3s, 50% FT - definite room for improvement and hardly NBA-ready) was wrong. Some kids can come out early (say a Jamal Crawford) and log heavy minutes, flash a little game, produce right away, etc... but that was never gonna be the case with Trevor. He never had mid. to high 1st round potential and his game wasn't anywhere near NBA-ready. Then why come out? And I'm not trying to knock the kid, believe me...
Look, UCLA is a decent enough program. If he had stayed in and grew as a player for the Bruins (say he stayed another 2-3 years), playing everyday with a kid like Jordan Farmar getting him the ball, there's a good possibility he could've developed enough to crack the 1st round in either this draft or next. That would've made quite a difference in his paycheck too, btw, if he just decided that he needed to come out early for the money. Poor kid really got some bad advice... But now that he's here (and as far as Isiah and the Knicks are concerned, it was a good pick - I mean who else was left on the board at that point that was worth taking, Ricky Paulding?) I really think he needs to hit the D-League to learn the game. He's got a lot of work to do, offensively especially, but defensively too. Granted, it's nuts for him to find out from the media that he's no longer in the rotation and not from LB himself, but it's something that needed to be done. Having said that, he can't come out and pop off in the papers about it being a shock and about everyone being confused as to what's going on with LB's rotation. He should've went to Steph and let Steph talk to Larry, or Steph should be the one saying something. Bottom line is he's right, Larry's done an awful job here, but nobody wants to here it from you Trevor. Shut your mouth and do whatever they tell ya. As for the Knicks, if they don't decide to include him in some trade by the deadline (which I wouldn't be against, btw - you guys all know the guys I want - Artest, Al Harrington or Rashard Lewis) DO NOT repeat DO NOT just place him on the 3-man inactive list every game (there's only so much his game is going to develop in practices). That would be a waste. Send him to Fayetteville and let him learn what it takes to be a small forward in the NBA.

[Edited by - finestrg on 01-06-2006 12:47 PM]

[Edited by - finestrg on 01-06-2006 12:47 PM]
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
1/6/2006  1:00 PM
Posted by Finestrg:

I know a lot of you guys probably aren't with me on this, and that's fine, but the bottom line on this kid Ariza, for me, is this:
He came out of college way too early. Whoever told this poor kid that his game was ready for the NBA and that he should declare for the 2004 draft should be shot. For him to come out after only 1 season for the Bruins (and a rather poor season at that if you look at the #s - 23% on college 3s, 50% FT - definite room for improvement and hardly NBA-ready) was wrong. Some kids can come out early (say a Jamal Crawford) and log heavy minutes, flash a little game, produce right away, etc... but that was never gonna be the case with Trevor. He never had mid. to high 1st round potential and his game wasn't anywhere near NBA-ready. Then why come out? And I'm not trying to knock the kid, believe me...

i agree, and this is also why i like the new age limit in the draft. it requires players to at least be exposed to the fundamentals for more than just a season. in the long run, the nba will be better for it.

bigbeast
Member: #1060

1/6/2006  1:01 PM
I agree with everything you said, but no way do I see Ariza excepting a move to the D league. The fact that he is pissed about brown saying "he was beat out" and Trevor saying "He's never been beat out before" shows you how much he thinks of himself and his game.
"Man, who knows with this team." Aguirre.
jaydh
1/6/2006  1:03 PM
Posted by bigbeast:

I agree with everything you said, but no way do I see Ariza excepting a move to the D league. The fact that he is pissed about brown saying "he was beat out" and Trevor saying "He's never been beat out before" shows you how much he thinks of himself and his game.

ariza will learn more from LB and practices than going to the D league.
bigbeast

1/6/2006  1:08 PM
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by bigbeast:

ariza will learn more from LB and practices than going to the D league.
Very true

tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
1/6/2006  1:26 PM
Posted by bigbeast:

yea I love trevor but he is a little shocked, In westchester HS in california, he had his jersey retired, almost averaged a triple double in his senior year, and one of the few if not first to have his jersey retired at that HS, which is also the HS of Arizona senior guard Hassan Adams.

At UCLA ariza was pac 10 all freshman first team player, not bad. In other words in such a short period,ariza has achieved a lot including cracking the knicks rotation as a second round pick, skinny 19 year old kid. Now it seems as if he is having that taken away, I can understand that he feels confused, but he needs to realize that everyone on this level has achieved similar if not more accolades in their short careers, He will learn from this, or he won't improve..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/6/2006  1:49 PM
after a full investigation (reading the rags) my take is 5 assistants told him, but the puplic relations person told him BEFORE larry and Reezy got diva like on that point.

Knicks have more assistants than any other team! 5 of them for 12 rostered? Thats a good ratio!

Growing pains. We all go thru it.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/6/2006  1:52 PM
Curry's probably just beginning learning to diversify his post moves. I saw him make a nice move going *left* against Dwight Howard where he drew a foul. He doesn't have to do anything spectacular going left. The defense over plays him so badly to the right that they're completely unprepared for anything going left. Aguirre, Brown, and Isiah are probably still working more on rebounding and defense with him because those are more important issues. Then comes work on going left, passing out of the double team. He seems to have improved his rebounding intensity and efficiency excellently so far. Hopefully the rest will come along.
bigbeast

1/6/2006  2:03 PM
Posted by fishmike:

slim... thing is I agree with you. I dont really see Curry as a post scorer per say. Not like Ewing was, or LJ or even Sweetney or Mo T. Those guys have an array of tools they can use to get off good shots. Curry is however a dynamic finisher, among the best in the league. This is part of the reason I love having 2 guys that can penetrate on the floor with Curry. With a Marbury and Nate backcourt it gives you two guys that can attack the paint. It doesnt matter if the D collapses on them or they get bottled up. If they can get the ball to EC its a dunk. If they miss a layup in traffic there's a good shot EC is there to clean up. We saw Nazr have 20 point 15 rebound games last year doing just that. I think you will see Curry have some MONSTER games doing the same, as he's just a bit better than Nazr.

I would say, Curry is more than a bit better than Nazr. Curry may not have a variety of low-post moves, but similar to Shaq, he never needed them. Since HS, he could always over power his foes. Similar to Shaq, all Curry needs is a righty and lefty hook, a spin move over his right shoulder (this is valuable because everyone overplays him over his left shoulder in anticipation of a right hook) and maybe and up and under because he never seems to use ball fakes.

Curry is also a lot quicker than i anticipated. Saw him put the ball on the floor a few times and go around defenders for slick reverse layups. Once he gets into tip top shape, he'll be fine.

SlimPack
USA
1/6/2006  2:23 PM
Posted by tkf:

I understand that is your opinion, but it really makes no sense what so ever... Can you even attempt to explain that one?

what I meant to say is that a center who's primary role is to post up should be able to pass, not all centers post up though, in fact very few do.

[Edited by - slimpack on 01-06-2006 2:42 PM]
jaydh
1/6/2006  2:25 PM
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by tkf:
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by SlimPack:

also I disagree with the author of this article, I still dont like the way curry plays. I think he is a Power Forward and not a center.

are you kidding me?

of course not, do you really think that curry is a good center? becuase I think he's a pretty bad one. his post up moves are worse than david lee's, its good that he has been cutting down on his offensive fouls but he's still utterly incapable of passing out of double teams for some wierd reason. He's alot more useful when he can use his nimbleness and athletism to charge to the hoop. A center in my opinion should be responsible for passing sometimes, whereas it PF's dont, so it would be easier for him there. thats what i think anyay.

what I meant to say is that a center who's primary role is to post up should be able to pass, not all centers post up though, in fact very few do.

Ewing couldnt pass, he had horrible hands. And when Nellie tried to teach him how, Nellie was fired.
SlimPack
USA
1/6/2006  2:32 PM
Posted by bigbeast:
Posted by fishmike:

I would say, Curry is more than a bit better than Nazr. Curry may not have a variety of low-post moves, but similar to Shaq, he never needed them. Since HS, he could always over power his foes. Similar to Shaq, all Curry needs is a righty and lefty hook, a spin move over his right shoulder (this is valuable because everyone overplays him over his left shoulder in anticipation of a right hook) and maybe and up and under because he never seems to use ball fakes.

Curry is also a lot quicker than i anticipated. Saw him put the ball on the floor a few times and go around defenders for slick reverse layups. Once he gets into tip top shape, he'll be fine.

I hope your right, curry can get away with simply overpowering his opponents sometimes, but not consistently, I think thats why he's an inconsistent scorer. I would still prefer it if he developed some legit low post moves like mo taylor though.
SlimPack
USA
1/6/2006  2:41 PM
Posted by jaydh:

Ewing couldnt pass, he had horrible hands. And when Nellie tried to teach him how, Nellie was fired.

good point, but I never considered it a problem with ewing becuase he was a consistent scorer, anyway you and tkf are right, a center doesnt necesarily need passing skills, but that's impression I get when I watch curry becuase according to LB the team is trying to go inside and out, I thought the point of that strategy was to for the center to attempt to score and then if gets doubled pass out of it to the open man, curry just doesnt seem to look to pass as much as he should. I just dont like the idea of dumping the ball down to curry and hoping that he scores. not on a consistent basis anyway.
put he seems to be working on his ability to pass out of double teams so thats good.

[Edited by - slimpack on 01-06-2006 2:53 PM]
Masterplan
Member: #362
1/6/2006  3:22 PM
Posted by Nalod:

after a full investigation (reading the rags) my take is 5 assistants told him, but the puplic relations person told him BEFORE larry and Reezy got diva like on that point.

Knicks have more assistants than any other team! 5 of them for 12 rostered? Thats a good ratio!

Growing pains. We all go thru it.

yeah. i'd also add, we haven't had a game in a few days. there's nothing else to write about other than this overblown ariza crap, especially if you're looking for negatives after a big win. most of the quotes aren't clearly negative and possibly taken out of context; i'm not going to get concerned over one game and some media crap. if ariza is benched for a long while or put inactive, then i'll be worried.
lb calls out ariza again...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy