[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

lb calls out ariza again...
Author Thread
oohah
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #887
1/6/2006  1:31 AM
I never said Ariza said he outplayed Lee and Q. I said he complained, which I posted.

I never accused you of that. I don't really think he complained, he was asked a question and he answered. If he was unhappy that is his right.

Also, this concept that David Lee has better post moves than Eddy Curry is really pretty humorous. Curry is consistently dominant in the post, his only problem has been staying on the floor whether through foul trouble or injury. Power moves in the post are still post moves. He is unguardable because of his moves. He is one of the only pure post centers in the league. How many times has Lee even posted up all season? four? five? This argument is insane.

Even if Curry was dominant which he isn't...enough yet. He still has one move. Go right and try to dunk. If that doesn't work out he shoots a hook shot that he isn't that good at. Since when has he been consistently dominant in the post? The last 5 games? This season if you want to stretch it?

You're right, Lee has only posted up a few times this year, but he has show several moves when he has. Does that mean I think we should make Lee the main post presence and not Curry? No, that would be stupid. The point is that probably every player on the Knicks has more post moves than Curry...even AD, definitely NR does. And it is annoying to see someone with Curry's talent not develop it the way he can and should.

Does Curry have any move besides the one I descibed?

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 01-06-2006 01:33 AM]
Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
AUTOADVERT
MinsHeartsReezy
Member: #872
USA
1/6/2006  1:39 AM
correct me if i'm wrong

First LB SAYS:
Before tipoff against Phoenix, Brown said that David Lee and Qyntel Woods had both "beaten out" Ariza in practice recently. Lee started last night - his third start this year - while Ariza suited up but ended up sitting the entire game, including all three extra periods.

Then: REEZY REPLIES
It's the first time I'm hearing of this, so it's a little bit of a shock," Trevor Ariza said last night, moments after Brown told reporters Ariza had fallen down a few notches in the small forward depth chart. "That's Coach's decision. I come to practice every day. I work hard and that's pretty much all I can do. He makes the decision on who plays.

"I think everyone is still confused. Nobody really knows how to look at things, or what (Brown) sees or what he wants."

Followed by: LB SAYING
Responding to Ariza's statement that he was surprised by his recent benching, and unclear about the reasons, Brown said, "To say he doesn't know what's going on, he's delusional." Contradicting Ariza's account, Brown said he spoke to Ariza before dropping him from the rotation Monday. "It has nothing to do with basketball," Brown said. "I think he's just got to grow up a little bit and understand this is a team, and he's got to act like a good teammate."

Can u see where the confusion could have come from? thats all i ask.

And i agree with u crzy that this is overblown which is why its best for them to handle these issues in person rather than through the media.
oohah
1/6/2006  1:44 AM
Ariza isn't being a good teammate BECAUSE he's complaining that Brown thinks Lee and Q2 outplayed him. This isn't that complicated.

I never said Ariza said he outplayed Lee and Q. I said he complained, which I posted

Seems like you are contradicting yourself. If he is complaining that brown thinks Lee and Q outplayed him, that sounds to me like he you are implying that he thinks...well just read the quote above.

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 01-06-2006 01:47 AM]
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
1/6/2006  1:45 AM
Larry needs to learn to speak his mind.
Erniecat
Member: #851
1/6/2006  1:59 AM
Posted by crzymdups:

Brown never called Ariza a bad teammate. Man you guys like to overreact. Ariza is obviously showing some immaturity here. Clearly he wasn't playing well at all this season, I said in several game threads he looked awful.

He has to be a good teammate and work to get back in the rotation and not expect anyone to hand anything to him. this is how good teams operate. This shouldn't be a controversy in any way shape or form.

Amen, crzymdups.

What is the problem here? Ariza is 20 years old, has proven very little in his brief career and has played very, very poorly for the entire season, despite being given every opportunity. Brown would be negligent if he did not sit Ariza. Who cares how Ariza found out? Brown has enough to worry about without worrying about "offending" a 20-year-old nobody. If Ariza can't handle it, too bad. Maybe if he'd taken better advantage of his playing time, he'd still be playing. And I read Brown was not thrilled that Ariza turned down a starting spot at LA recently.
oohah
1/6/2006  2:10 AM
Amen, crzymdups.

What is the problem here? Ariza is 20 years old, has proven very little in his brief career and has played very, very poorly for the entire season, despite being given every opportunity. Brown would be negligent if he did not sit Ariza. Who cares how Ariza found out? Brown has enough to worry about without worrying about "offending" a 20-year-old nobody. If Ariza can't handle it, too bad. Maybe if he'd taken better advantage of his playing time, he'd still be playing. And I read Brown was not thrilled that Ariza turned down a starting spot at LA recently.

There really is no problem that I can see, it is all media fabricated.

As far as whether LB should worry about offending a 20 year old nobody, that isn't the point. This is outside of basketball. It is about treating people with respect. LB is famous for treating people like sh!t. A player, no matter how good or bad, should not find out about his demotion from the press, if that in fact did happen.

For the record, I have no problem with Ariza's benching, unless Malik Rose keeps playing.

oohah

Erniecat
1/6/2006  2:10 AM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by SlimPack:

also I disagree with the author of this article, I still dont like the way curry plays. I think he is a Power Forward and not a center.

are you kidding me?

of course not, do you really think that curry is a good center? becuase I think he's a pretty bad one. his post up moves are worse than david lee's, its good that he has been cutting down on his offensive fouls but he's still utterly incapable of passing out of double teams for some wierd reason. He's alot more useful when he can use his nimbleness and athletism to charge to the hoop. A center in my opinion should be responsible for passing sometimes, whereas it PF's dont, so it would be easier for him there. thats what i think anyay.

Eddy Curry is unstoppable in the post. The Suns were triple-teaming him in the overtime. He doesn't pass out well yet, but that is a skill that can be learned. That doesn't make him any less dominant in the post.

If you think David Lee is better in the post than Eddy Curry...I'm sorry.

Boy, crzymdups, you and I are on the same wavelength today.

Of course Curry is a center! Who cares if he does not have polished moves? He is a dominant low-post presence and is unstoppable at times. Feed him the ball down low, and get out of the way. OK, we'd love for him to hit his foul shots more often, and he obviously has to learn to pass better and defend better. But give him time to mature and improve, because I think he will. I think we have seen nothing from this guy yet, though we have seen that he is a dominant presence when not plagued by injuries or foul problems. Once he gets his act together, look out.

Right now, that trade is looking bad because we gave up what will likley be a very high draft pick. Isiah can't really be faulted for that. When he made the deal, just about everyone liked it, despite giving up the pick. And, for the record, I still like it. Lee is proving to be legit (and who knows If Isiah really had the option of throwing in Lee or a first-rounder anyway), and we need to be more patient with Curry. I think he is finally rounding into form.
Erniecat
1/6/2006  2:13 AM
Posted by oohah:
Amen, crzymdups.

As far as whether LB should worry about offending a 20 year old nobody, that isn't the point. This is outside of basketball. It is about treating people with respect. LB is famous for treating people like sh!t. A player, no matter how good or bad, should not find out about his demotion from the press, if that in fact did happen.

For the record, I have no problem with Ariza's benching, unless Malik Rose keeps playing.

oohah

Do not get me started on Malik. I hate the fact that he takes minutes away from all the young guys, and even Mo T.
Erniecat
1/6/2006  2:23 AM
Posted by oohah:
Amen, crzymdups.

oohah

Yeah, but the thing is, Ariza -- as a 20-year-old who came into the NBA with few press clippings and has not done a whole lot yeat -- needs to adjust to his coach. Yes, LB has a huge ego and is known to treat players poorly. But Ariza should realize the deal, that he will not win any battles with LB. And he does himself no favors by acting hurt by the way he was told he was being benched (if it's even true).

That said, I agree that this is just about all media-fabricated. It's such a non-story. I bet Ariza and Brown don't even care. Knick beat writers just need something to write about, because this ain't the most compelling team in the world. A good beat writer is able to take a small, nothing story and run with it. A starter being demoted to third-string, and apparently finding out about it from a media relations guy (I think it was a Knicks employee rather than a reporter), is an obvious juicy item, and any reporter worth his laptop will make it into a headline item.
oohah
1/6/2006  2:27 AM
Knick beat writers just need something to write about, because this ain't the most compelling team in the world.

Right on. Right now the beat reporters are just like us--discussing and arguing bullsh!t.

oohah

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/6/2006  7:32 AM
do we really care why Ariza has been benched? Was his play so dominating that the move has people scratching their heads? I think its pretty obvious that Lee and Woods ARE better than he is. The more minutes he got the more he got exposed. He's got a lot to learn. Why is this an issue?

Obviously there is something that we and the reporters arent privy too, based on Brown's comments. Something happened thats pretty obvious to Larry but not to Trevor. Clearly he think Ariza should sit until he figures out what that is. This isnt a 20 year old Lebron James we have riding the pine here
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/6/2006  7:48 AM
It's all right with me. I think a lot of reactions right now have to do with the degree of trust in Larry. I'm good with him.

Btw personally I'm not that impressed with Q2 yet. Would love to see it happen though.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
1/6/2006  8:28 AM
2 problems with this

LB's antics clearly have been that- Ariza says no one on the team knows what LB is looking for or at- they're confused.

They should know- LB is looking for effort, defense and team play.

You guys drinking kool aid are saying that LB is breaking them down to build them up again. I no longer buy that.

The second problem is if he's going to piss off ariza, its entirely possible that he might leave when his current contract is up. Yes, he's played like crap this year- could it be the confusion caused by LB screwing up his game?- but last year and at times this year, you see a player who might develop into an effective part of this team.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/6/2006  9:17 AM
If he leaves, its cuz we won't want him.

Reezy might have just needed to deflect blame and was stupid to say "we are all confused".

I see some guys are getting in spurts. Marbs I think gets it, as does Craw. They might not do it all the time, but they are getting it.

Barnes, Qoods, Lee and Reezy all have been confused. But Reezy spoke for other players and that might be a no-no in larry land.

Bottom line, we don't know what is going on.
Swishfm3
Member: #392
1/6/2006  10:14 AM
Nobody has a problem with the team COACH talking about his players like this to the media??

Asked why Ariza still doesn't understand what's going on, Brown, a former coach at Ariza's alma mater, joked: "If he doesn't, it's because UCLA was not a good academic institution."

this is the SECOND time that Brown that insulted Ariza intelligence to the PUBLIC.
very unprofessional and immature...
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/6/2006  10:25 AM
Posted by SlimPack:

also I disagree with the author of this article, I still dont like the way curry plays. I think he is a Power Forward and not a center.
Huh? Care to elaborate on that?
Bippity10
Member: #574
1/6/2006  10:27 AM
Ariza at his age and talent level should never be questioning a hall of fame coach. But I agree with Fish. The benching is obviously over something that happened that none of us are aware of.
I just hope that people will like me
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/6/2006  10:27 AM
i heard he got benched b/c he stole some jolly ranchers from lb's kid.
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
1/6/2006  10:50 AM
Like Nalod said, Bottom line is we don't have the real inside scoop on LB/Reezy, but one thing is obvious...ONE of these guys has years of experience and a championship, and has the title 'head coach', and the other recently became old enough to vote. Old-school rules apply here, coach can determine how he wants to communicate anything he wants, you follow his lead, obey his orders, simple. If this was Phil Jax, the media would have told Trevor to remain silent already.
"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
1/6/2006  11:20 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by SlimPack:

Huh? Care to elaborate on that?

at the center position curry is able to crack the 20 point barrier only very rarely, and... hey wait a minute I did elaborate on it that post, and I agree with what oohah said regarding it. I don't think the bulls last year used eddy to post up at all, I dont know why we are. erniecat did make a good point about patience though, maybe someday eddy will learn how to play that shaq, draw double teams than kick it out style of play, but Im too enthused about it, he's not that good at it.

[Edited by - slimpack on 01-06-2006 11:28 AM]
lb calls out ariza again...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy