[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Spree staying put
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
7/19/2002  4:47 PM
I wonder what Layden has up his sleeve. So far we have learned that rumors mean nothing, as demonstrated by the draft. Nobody, and I mean nobody had a trade for McDyess even on the radar. I never even heard his name mentioned as someone the Knicks should consider going for. Every day there seems to be a new Spree rumor. At first I thought Spree is a goner, but now I am not so sure. I am wondering if Layden is shopping Spree so heavily to feel out other options and see what teams are willing to do. It makes sense...We also know Layden leaks nothing. He handles potential team transactions like they are nuclear secrets and this is the cold war.

I am not saying Layden wont trade Spree, just that I no longer think Spree is really being shopped, more that he's just a prop.

I think theres a good shot we will be suprised again, and Layden will grab someone not even on the radar. Ben Wallace, Adonal Foyal, Kelvin Cato or Theo Ratliff. Before the Dice trade I had no faith anything would ever happen, and the best hope this team could have for improvement would be Chris Wilcox. Now I think the guy has a plan, and can play the rumor game to his advantage.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
7/19/2002  4:54 PM
True, he can also check the Media and message boards about what the general consensus is about the proposed trades. If one of the rumors gets him burned down in the NY media I doubt he'd pursue that avenue any further.
ClydeDaGlide
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #275
USA
7/19/2002  4:55 PM
Hey, fishmike...nice to see a fellow msg poster over here. yeah, I totally agree, Layden could def. surprise us with an unexpected trade...I'm pinning my hopes on Wallace...
I came here to drink beer and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer...
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
7/19/2002  5:27 PM
Yeah, I stated in a few threads that these Spree rumors can really be a smokescreen. It wouldn't suprise me if Allan Houston is the one traded when all is said and done. Based on how the draft went down, I have no idea who we'd get in return...
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
7/19/2002  6:23 PM
I totally agree - Now that I've seen Scotty's method, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Houston/KT for Shareef and change...Or a Houston/Dice for Kemp/'Sheed... I believe there's a smokescreen up, and it's mad thick...

Cheers-
"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
7/19/2002  8:22 PM
Lets hope so cause it seems to me, Layden can't execute another bombshell deal. Based on what teams are saying regarding the knick players, it looks like layden is possibly handcuffed. The only reason why layden was successful on the McDyess deal was 3 things A)McDyess had already exercise his clause to leave whenever he can which left Denver on dangerous grounds. B)C'mon people, KiKi use to play for the knicks. C)Denver was afraid McDyess wouldn't be the same player. As of right now, the way the NBA is structured financially, the system is totally against the knicks on what they want to accomplish. Not only having the largest payroll but also giving th money to mediocre players on the team is killing the knicks..
The Future. GO KNICKS!
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/20/2002  12:46 AM
Posted by knixphan:

I totally agree - Now that I've seen Scotty's method, I wouldn't be surprised to see a Houston/KT for Shareef and change...Or a Houston/Dice for Kemp/'Sheed... I believe there's a smokescreen up, and it's mad thick...
Cheers-

Maaaaaaaaad thick... Thicker than his coke-bottle glasses.
I like that AH/KT for Shareef and.... name the change, I'm curious.

As for Spree, he needs to stay put just like the pic at the top of the page...

[Edited by - HARDCOREKNICKSFAN on 07/20/2002 00:58:33]
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
WOODMANnYk
USA
7/20/2002  1:28 AM
As for Spree, he needs to stay put just like the pic at the top of the page...

[/quote] It soon will be coming off just like the one that showed Camby/Spree And H20...

[Edited by - knicksbb10 on 07/20/2002 01:29:50]

[Edited by - knicksbb10 on 07/20/2002 01:30:59]
The Future. GO KNICKS!
neoxuxo
Member: #291
Mexico
7/20/2002  1:50 AM
Fishy indeed...

Hope you're right. Anyway I have just some questions with all this... Isn't this diminishing Spree commitment to the team? You know, the fact that he's being used as bait?

I know that the commitmentof Spree to the Knicks is unquestionable, but hey! the guy has feelings, doesn't he?
Hope that Mr. Layden spoke to Spree first if he's trying to make a move like that.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/20/2002  1:57 AM
Posted by knicksbb10:

It soon will be coming off just like the one that showed Camby/Spree And H20...

[Edited by - knicksbb10 on 07/20/2002 01:29:50]

[Edited by - knicksbb10 on 07/20/2002 01:30:59]

Whatever, sir Bias. Maybe the folks at Ultimateknicks.com (as well as ALOT of those who post here) are in on something you are obviously missing- that Spree is the player that we should have- featured on the team. Notice, fella, they removed Camby and Houston's pic. Keep feeding me ammo to shoot down your own sarcasm... Too easy.

[Edited by - HARDCOREKNICKSFAN on 07/20/2002 02:58:33]
VG
Member: #68
Australia
7/20/2002  3:41 AM
Man I hope you are right that all this is a smokescreen, trading Houston would be an absolute coup (but it's pretty unlikely IMO).
WOODMANnYk
USA
7/20/2002  4:13 AM

Whatever, sir Bias. Maybe the folks at Ultimateknicks.com (as well as ALOT of those who post here) are in on something you are obviously missing- that Spree is the player that we should have- featured on the team. Notice, fella, they removed Camby and Houston's pic. Keep feeding me ammo to shoot down your own sarcasm... Too easy.

That pic will have either have Mcdyess or H20 soon...
[/quote]
The Future. GO KNICKS!
Caseloads
Member: #41
7/20/2002  9:36 AM
Posted by VG:

Man I hope you are right that all this is a smokescreen, trading Houston would be an absolute coup (but it's pretty unlikely IMO).
hey - houston can't be traded until his BYC status changes, as of august 1st.
Knick2001
Member: #83
7/20/2002  10:06 AM
I think today's NY Times article said it best, very few teams (only a few veteran teams) are interested in Sprewell. Houston can't be moved because of his contract. The only tradeable players Layden has to deal are Thomas and Harrington. It is most likely Layden picks up a Doleac or Collins to plug the hole in center, and the rest of the current roster stays the same. I would much rather go through this summer NOT taking on another longterm contract, ala Weatherspoon. Just 2-3 more years and the Knicks can clear the roster and start rebuilding the right way.

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/07/20/sports/basketball/20KNIC.html

[Edited by - knick2001 on 07/20/2002 10:08:10]
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/20/2002  10:47 AM
Posted by Caseloads:

hey - houston can't be traded until his BYC status changes, as of august 1st.

Oh yes, I am very aware of that. Maybe the status change of his contract is specifically what the Knicks are waiting for... 11 more days.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
7/20/2002  1:16 PM
I dont think Houston or Spree are going anywhere. But thats just my opinion.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/21/2002  6:35 AM
Posted by OasisBU:

I dont think Houston or Spree are going anywhere. But thats just my opinion.

Yup, and I guess the Bucks will be keeping Big Dog, after his latest little domestic fiasco with wifey...

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0720/1408202.html

Good. I thought that trade rumor was asinine anyway. Let BD stay right there in Milwalkee.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/21/2002  6:47 AM
I guess that Atlanta trade is dead in the water too. Good!

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/45637.htm

So much for all the toungue-wagging that went on around here about that rumor.

Slowly, the smoke is starting to clear...
WOODMANnYk
USA
7/21/2002  11:38 AM
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:

I guess that Atlanta trade is dead in the water too. Good!

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/45637.htm

So much for all the toungue-wagging that went on around here about that rumor.

Slowly, the smoke is starting to clear...

The reason why Spree won't get traded is because of his reputation from the past from G.S days. If you hear what the Hawks G.M. said, he admitted not wanting Spree from the Mutombo rumors and still feel the same way based on the Jr RIder fiasco from a couple of yrs back. You must understand when Spree is losing, he's like a time bomb ready to explode. MAny g.m's out there don't want spree because of salary, age and fear of his attitude. Hey, the best trades are the one you don't do so maybe Layden will stick with Spree/H20 combo after all.
The Future. GO KNICKS!
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
USA
7/21/2002  4:06 PM
Posted by knicksbb10:

The reason why Spree won't get traded is because of his reputation from the past from G.S days. If you hear what the Hawks G.M. said, he admitted not wanting Spree from the Mutombo rumors and still feel the same way based on the Jr RIder fiasco from a couple of yrs back. You must understand when Spree is losing, he's like a time bomb ready to explode. MAny g.m's out there don't want spree because of salary, age and fear of his attitude. Hey, the best trades are the one you don't do so maybe Layden will stick with Spree/H20 combo after all.

"Now, aside from mentioning Spree's salary, you sound just like Mitch Lawrence (clearly a Knick hater, who has a specific disdain for Spree) did three years ago. That nutcase in Atlanta doesn't want Spree? GOOD! Maybe the Hawks will take Houston and they can read the Bible together. That is, if anyone still wants to trade for the players Atlanta has on the table. That "time bomb" talk is clearly used to stigmatize certain players, and also hints of racial bias (as has been pointed out in several news articles since the P.J. incident). So please refrain from mimicing the behavior of individuals (namely those biased media workers) whose issues we are already aware of. BTW that very same behavior nourishes that "fear of his attitude" that some may have of him.

They actually tried to compare Spree to Isaiah Rider? I won't waste my time at all dismissing that obvious ignorance. Rider can be labeled as a "time bomb" if anyone is to be, but Spree? Please. What has he done in the three years he's been a Knick, incident-wise, for anyone to call him that? Nuff said.

Also, we lost last year, and who'd Spree choke? Did he pull a gun on anybody, shoot, stab, rape, kill or even fight anybody? Anything like that happen on or off the court?
NO.

With that understood, let's not place that extremely inaccurate label on the man. The bias against Spree is sickening. We get enough of that garbage force-fed to us by the media- let us not perpetuate that dysfunction here, too.

Now, getting back on topic...

We haven't tried the core Three on the court yet- if that works out, we'll all be happy.

[Edited by - HARDCOREKNICKSFAN on 07/21/2002 20:46:01]
Spree staying put

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy