[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

would utah bite on the spurs pick?
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/4/2006  3:01 PM
since we owe utah a #1, which is apparently HEAVILY protected until 2010, when it's unprotected, do you think if we offered utah the spurs #1 this year, would they take it?

i ask this b/c then it clears us from any obligations to them in the future. we may have to give them some cash considerations for them to do it but if there's nobody we want, then is this a viable option? and do you think they would take it?

[Edited by - djsunyc on 01-04-2006 3:02 PM]
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
1/4/2006  3:32 PM
i don't understand the question... does UTAH have a choice in the matter? if the Knicks choose to give them the Spurs' pick to pay for the pick given in the Phoenix deal, do they have the right to refuse?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/4/2006  3:36 PM
utah is owed OUR PICK. but it's heavily protected.

something like top 25 in 2006, top 24 in 2007, top 23 in 2008, top 22 in 2009, and unprotected in 2010.

if any of those conditions are met, the pick AUTOMATICALLY goes to utah.

we're not going to be higher than 25 this year...BUT the spurs will. so i'm wondering that if we offer utah that spurs pick INSTEAD of waiting for ours, would they agree to swap it. it's their choice.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/4/2006  3:39 PM
dj... I dont think its our pick, rather *a* first rounder
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
SlimPack
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1009
USA
1/4/2006  3:42 PM
why would you want to do that anyway? isnt better to get whatever we can out of the spurs pick now, rather than assume that we will still be a bad team in 2010?
TMS
USA
1/4/2006  4:00 PM
just give Utah SA's pick & be done with it... Isiah needs to make a trade if he wants to be in the draft this year... picking where SA will be at isn't favorable for us anyway... you can sometimes get equal level talent in the 2nd round
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
SlimPack
USA
1/4/2006  4:18 PM
Posted by TMS:

just give Utah SA's pick & be done with it...

yeah but why do this? from what i figure we dont need to, we may as well keep it.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/4/2006  4:21 PM
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by TMS:

yeah but why do this? from what i figure we dont need to, we may as well keep it.

agreed. The assumption is that the Knicks will get better over the next 3-4 years, and you want to find those last pieces necessary to build this ship for that same time period. Use that guy now and for the next years and then give Utah the scraps later on.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
simrud
Member: #474
USA
1/4/2006  4:22 PM
I disagree, lower picks in the 1st round can often yield a solid role player because everybody is going for a homerun takin younger players as opposed to college seniors, and a lot of very solid guys who can really help right away of the bench get left on the board and some of the bubble guys from the 2nd round are taken.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
1/4/2006  4:28 PM
Posted by fishmike:

dj... I dont think its our pick, rather *a* first rounder

it's specifically the second pick in the Marbury trade that has descending protection each year and is completely un-protected in 2010. Utah got both picks from Phoenix for cap room.
¿ △ ?
TMS
USA
1/4/2006  4:43 PM
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by TMS:

what do you mean, we don't need to? we owe them a pick regardless... SA's pick is going to be in the late 1st round... that's the best pick to give them if we have to at all, since i don't see the Knicks picking that low in the next few years anyway.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
1/4/2006  4:47 PM
we just can't choose to give them the pick, plus I don't see why they won't just wait until until it is unprotected, by then who cares.... They don't have to take the pick from NY unless the conditions are met...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
1/4/2006  4:48 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by TMS:

what do you mean, we don't need to? we owe them a pick regardless... SA's pick is going to be in the late 1st round... that's the best pick to give them if we have to at all, since i don't see the Knicks picking that low in the next few years anyway.

we can't CHOOSE what pick goes to Utah. It's already been determined. It's the second pick from the Marbury trade.

I don't know why they'd take a late first round pick instead of an unprotected 2010 pick.
¿ △ ?
TMS
USA
1/4/2006  4:49 PM
Posted by tkf:

we just can't choose to give them the pick, plus I don't see why they won't just wait until until it is unprotected, by then who cares.... They don't have to take the pick from NY unless the conditions are met...

k, that clears it up then... i was under the impression that the Knicks could choose which pick to give them.
SlimPack
USA
1/4/2006  4:52 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by TMS:

oh so you think we'll pick in the 25-28 territory in the next couple of years, i guess it makes sense if you look at it that way, but I dontt think the knicks will be that good that soon, thats why I dont think we should give away our one and only pick right now when we are a bad team, just in case we become a pretty good one within the next two years. besides how are we supposed to become that good without draft picks?
SlimPack
USA
1/4/2006  4:53 PM
Posted by tkf:

Yeah I know, the jazz wouldnt do this. I just wanted to know why we would.
TMS
USA
1/4/2006  4:55 PM
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by TMS:

oh so you think we'll pick in the 25-28 territory in the next couple of years, i guess it makes sense if you look at it that way, but I dontt think the knicks will be that good that soon, thats why I dont think we should give away our one and only pick right now when we are a bad team, just in case we become a pretty good one within the next two years. besides how are we supposed to become that good without draft picks?

no, i was thinking that the Spurs' pick would be worse than any pick we'd have for the next several years anyway, so we mine as well give Utah that pick... but i didn't realize it wasn't up to the Knicks to determine if Utah got the pick or not.
JohnWallace44
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #910
USA
1/4/2006  5:59 PM
This will not be a deep draft because everyone came out in anticipation of the new age rule last year. We should give up a pick this year if we can.

Alan Hahn: Nate Robinson has been on a ridonkulous scoring tear lately (remember when he couldn't hit Jerome James with a Big Mac in early January?)
would utah bite on the spurs pick?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy