[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Frye and Lee really need to improve their defense, along with Crawford:
Author Thread
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
1/4/2006  1:35 PM
These 3 guys are the future and Larry appears to love them all. But Lee let Marion score 39 points on mainly jump shots which exposed a glaring weakness. Lee's perimeter defense isn't great yet. But the thing is, it can be, b/c it's simply a matter of him getting around those screens quicker and putting a hand up. He didn't do that the other night.

Frye is trying, but he's also very tentative on the defensive end. It seems like he isn't sure when to help and when to stick with his own guy. Maybe this is something that will come with time. Hopefully. But like I said, at least he's working out there. His rebounding has improved a little.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
1/4/2006  1:50 PM
it's been a long time since Lee has had to guard SFs out on the perimeter. give him some time. he's got the speed and athletism to do it. Frye I have no idea if his defense & rebounding will ever improve
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
1/4/2006  1:54 PM
I think Crawford's defense has been much improved. He's not big enough to guard stronger players, but he's doing a good job on PG's and he's been smart about going for steals and he's been helping on the defensive boards.
¿ △ ?
Bippity10
Member: #574
1/4/2006  2:06 PM
I think lee and Frye are guarding quikcer guys and are afraid to get beat off the dribble. I don't see where Craw's d has gotten better from last year.
I just hope that people will like me
Allanfan20
USA
1/4/2006  2:09 PM
It's like I've been saying. He needs to add a little bulk to himself. He barely has any muscle on him. He seems just as skinny as Iverson, but much taller. That's not gonna help your defense.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/4/2006  2:33 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

It's like I've been saying. He needs to add a little bulk to himself. He barely has any muscle on him. He seems just as skinny as Iverson, but much taller. That's not gonna help your defense.

Muscle isn't the answer for Craw. It's about getting over and around picks. It's about knowing where your man is and not drifting off of him too much, it's about boxing out. Check out Bruce Bowen. Dude is thin as a rail relatively speaking.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Allanfan20
USA
1/4/2006  2:50 PM
He's thin but not nearly as thin as Jamal. Jamal needs some bulk to get around those screens and so he can gain some stamina and so he CAN box out and so that he CAN'T get backed downn so much.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/4/2006  2:57 PM
Marion is an allstar. He gets lots of touches, and extends out to corners. and he played like the whole game.

I think Lee going 10 for 11 and 15 rebs in say about the same time with hardley any touches and it was his first Start at the Postition Sun fans might want to question the Matrix.

The Suns are hard to defend. We won. Book the stat.
Allanfan20
USA
1/4/2006  3:21 PM
Nalod, I agree with you 150%. Marion almost seems unfair for Lee to guard in one of his first starts. But 1, you gotto do it sometime and 2, I am just saying that there were a few times when Lee didn't come around quick enough to put a hand up. Yes, he had a wonderful game and I would have been the first one to get up to give him a standing ovation, but I was in the very last row of the 400s and the ceiling kinda hangs down and blocks my vision of the court, so I wouldn't have been able to see. Hence, a standing ovation w/o me seeing him would have been gay. But his game wasn't perfect and he had some trouble on the defensive end. The criticism is fair.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/4/2006  3:52 PM
He got a lot of schooling ahead of him with quicker SF around. Marion is the quickest.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/4/2006  4:25 PM
Posted by martin:

Muscle isn't the answer for Craw. It's about getting over and around picks. It's about knowing where your man is and not drifting off of him too much, it's about boxing out.
Its about focus mainly with him. He loses his man when his man doesn't have the ball. He is lazy around screens. He forgets he's supposed to be guarding someone. All he has to do is do a good job of chasing the player and TRY to stay in front of them and near them at all times.

I saw him play good defense once and that was for a stretch against Nash. But overall, his defense is still among the worst in the league.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
1/4/2006  4:26 PM
Marion also played mainly PF last year, so he's used to being guarded by PFs.

I still say Craw has been much better last year. I mean, did you guys see him last year?
¿ △ ?
PhilinLA
Member: #696
1/4/2006  6:57 PM
Why Oh Why did we have to draft ROOKIES??????????????????????
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/4/2006  7:26 PM
Posted by PhilinLA:

Why Oh Why did we have to draft ROOKIES??????????????????????

LOL
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
1/4/2006  8:24 PM
I agree with the title of this thread. I don't analyze game film, and probably none of you guys do either, but I know that they're missing concepts of team defense (more than just man on the ball) like knowing when to switch, when to communcate, rotations, assignments, defensive rebounding, passing lanes... Walton thinks a problem could be that they switch too frequently when on the defensive end. Whatever it is, it's mission essential for them to get better at it.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
1/4/2006  8:33 PM
two words, tayshawn prince. the guy is like 172pounds w/a wet fur coat on, he's a pretty good defender. reggie miller, ai when they were younger were good defenders. my point is that just because your thin does'nt make you a worse defender, on the contrary, you'll lose some speed. how can you ask a player that has never been asked to play defense at this level and intensity to gain weight so he can "play better defense"? it takes time, he's definetely playing better d.
now as for frye, as much time as we gave sweets, and as much patients as we had w/him, why are people already giving up on frye's d? he avg'd over 2 blk's in college. give him time to adapt.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
1/4/2006  8:42 PM
good point Mac, i've noticed they'll play solid defense until late in the shot clock, when the other team gets a wide open three or outside shot. there's bad comunication.
bigbeast
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1060

1/4/2006  11:21 PM
Posted by daddynel:

two words, tayshawn prince. the guy is like 172pounds w/a wet fur coat on, he's a pretty good defender. reggie miller, ai when they were younger were good defenders. my point is that just because your thin does'nt make you a worse defender, on the contrary, you'll lose some speed. how can you ask a player that has never been asked to play defense at this level and intensity to gain weight so he can "play better defense"? it takes time, he's definetely playing better d.
now as for frye, as much time as we gave sweets, and as much patients as we had w/him, why are people already giving up on frye's d? he avg'd over 2 blk's in college. give him time to adapt.

Tayshaun Prince is a 6'9 Sf with the wing span of someone 7'5. Prince could be 39lbs soaking wet and would be a good defender because of his wing span alone. AI isn't a good man to man defender, he just plays the passing lanes well and anticipates with his quick hands and gobbles up loads of steals.

Adding some muscle would help Crawford fight over screens better. When he gets screened, he sticks to the screener like a fly on one of those sticky-sleeves that hang from the ceiling.

[Edited by - bigbeast on 01-04-2006 11:50 PM]
"Man, who knows with this team." Aguirre.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/4/2006  11:45 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

I've been wondering why he hasn't added any weight because it's obvious he needs to. I'm not sure what would be worse--if he's trying to but can't add weight or if he's not dedicated enough to try to.
Frye and Lee really need to improve their defense, along with Crawford:

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy