[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

marc stein chat wrap
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/3/2006  12:07 PM
Marc Stein: First chat of the New Year, friends. Welcome back. Hope the holidays treated you well. To the questions . . .

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Peter Derry,NH: Hey Marc whats up? Why hasn't Ron Artest been traded yet? Where do you think he will end up going? If G.S. gets him they're gonna be nasty!

Marc Stein: It's simple. Indy hasn't received an offer it likes and, thanks to the new inactive list, it has a mechanism to keep Artest away from the team (with pay) until the Pacers like what they're offered. The teams that want Artest in the worst way (Denver, Wolves, Lakers) have been trying to pull in a third or fourth team because they don't have the pieces to convince Indy to do a straight-up deal. Teams like the Clips and Golden State, who do, are obviously reluctant to give up quality for a guy they can't depend on. No matter how tantalizing the talent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chris (IN): Can the Clippers aquire Artest without giving up Corey Maggette? If it's Maggette or nothing, do you pull the trigger?

Marc Stein: I know that Dunleavy isn't scared to coach Artest. But I can understand the Clips' hesitation. As much sense as it makes basketball-wise -- and I does make sense -- I can't blame the Clips for holding off. Like I've said from the start, gambling on Artest only makes sense for the truly desperate: Lakers and Wolves are my top two in that category. Of course, if you're that desperate, it probably means you don't have enough to interest Indy in a deal . . . until the Pacers are desperate to get rid of him.

Alerix (Greenville, SC): Marc, I think that Allen Iverson gets nipped every year for his ability. Can you explain why a player of that stature is cut from MVP Honors?

Marc Stein: I think you're referring to my recent Trimester Awards column. Iverson was not my East MVP of the Trimester, so I suppose you're asking why I picked someone like Billups (best player so far on the best team) over AI and his individual brilliance. It's like this in my world: If AI's greatness doesn't lead to significant team success, it's not as valuable as what, say, Billups is doing now to take a good team over the top. AI, remember, has won an MVP trophy -- when his genius carried over to the standings, too. Agree or disagree if you wish; it's your right. But those are my standards.

Jay (Burke, VA): What's your take on Kobe Bryant's suspension. I thought it was too much because he gets clobbered every game, and nothing becomes of it. I mean how can Kobe not be top 3 in free throw attempts? Please explain...thanks.

Marc Stein: Deserved. You can't extend an elbow like that -- and then crow to the press about how you "hit first, ask questions later" -- and expect to go unpunished. Especially after a string of elbow-related confrontations. I agree with Kobe's contention that Dwyane Wade did something similar to him in the Christmas Day game, but this was more blatant.

Aaron (Phoenix): Just got done watching the Suns-Knicks game tonight. 54 FT to 16. 4 Suns fouling out, with 2 more with 5 fouls. I have no problem with the rankings this week, but next week I'd like to see the refs added to your power rankings, and placed one spot above Phoenix.

Marc Stein: Hard for me to argue. From the fourth quarter on, it seemed as though every 50-50 call went the Knicks way. It was fun to watch, but hard to believe they needed three OTs to finally win the thing.

Bill Springfield, NJ: Watching the Knicks last night, it is clear that what they lack are guards who can pass the ball & defend. Curry can be an absolute beast & has great potential. Frye & Lee look solid as well. Do you agree?

Marc Stein: Lee looks good every time I've seen him. Frye has been better than expected, although I'm not quite ready to endorse Isiah's assertion that he'd have drafted Frye over Bogut. But let me caution that last night probably wasn't the best gauge for the Knicks' big men, with Amare in a suit and all his undersized replacements fouling out.

Mustafa (Florida): Does Dallas and San Antonio and Detroit and Miami sound good to you in the Conference Finals?

Marc Stein: Yeah. Except there's roughly no chance that happens because Dallas and San Antonio will almost certainly meet in the second round, no matter who wins the Southwest. One of those teams would have to slide to sixth in the West to avoid each other until the West finals. Not going to happen.

Jef, SLC, UT: If/when Carlos Boozer rejoins the Jazz, will it be an improvement or just another roster shake up that will lead to confusion and disarray?

Marc Stein: Confusion and disarray? That only happens when Kirilenko is out. The Jazz HAVE to get Boozer back on the floor because it's the only way they're going to find out if all the money they've invested in the Kirilenko-Boozer-Okur triumvirate will pan out. If Boozer and Okur can't play together, as some suspect, Jazz need to get Boozer back on the floor to start building his value back up so they can move him.

Josh (Detroit): Can Detroit afford to pay all five starters ten million a year or will they have to be broken up at some point?

Marc Stein: You really don't see that anywhere. Phoenix was headed down a similar path and that's partially why the Suns wound up parting with Joe Johnson. If you go that route, obviously it means that you're not going to be spending much on your bench. But when you have a starting five like Detroit's, where the five have such good chemistry and none of them are deep into their 30s, I'd be just like Joe D -- trying as hard as I could to convince my owner to spend what it takes to keep the group together.

Jim (Chicago): The Elton Brand trade is killing the Bulls, Chandler is playing soft, 3 rebs and 2 missed dunks. Any chance the Bulls make the playoffs or do we ride it out in lottory land and hope for a good draft pick?

Marc Stein: The more this team slides, it makes even less sense to rush into a trade now with cap room and picks (New York's too, remember) coming in the off-season. The Bulls decided they were only going to keep one of their centers and the one they kept (Chandler) is struggling big-time. But I still say Paxson is wise to play it like he's playing it, because even if cap room in the summertime doesn-t bring the Bulls a quality free agent or two -- a story Bulls fans know well -- having that flexibility in the summer is crucial for trades.

Aaron (Washington): Marc, did you really like Duncan's 'fro? I think he was just setting himself up for an unwinnable mismatch in the finals against Ben Wallace.

Marc Stein: Yes. Far better than the shaven scalp. I don't think there can be any debate.

JD (NJ): Although the Nets are surging, will their current win-streak trick management into thinking that they do not need a better big man than anything currently on their roster?

Marc Stein: No it won't. The Nets know they need a frontline upgrade. But they also know that this winning streak doesn't make the trade assets any better to find a deal that can help them.

Steven (Wisconsin): Do you think the Bucks can be a contender for the Eastern Conference Finals?

Marc Stein: If they never lose a close game, sure. But, realistically, no. For all the issues we always discuss with regard to Miami, I struggle to envision any scenario in which the Bucks beat the Heat in a playoff series. And if the Bucks are in the Pistons bracket, even less so.

tad (new york): what about a paul pierce for gordon trade i think it gives boston young talent and give bulls a great scorer.

Marc Stein: That is the exception for the Bulls. Make a trade between now and February if you can get a Pierce or someone you're sure is better than what you can manufacture in the summer. Of course, I'm guessing Boston would want Gordon, Deng and more if they're going to part with Pierce. And I'm guessing Bulls fans wouldn't be as excited about that idea.

Pape Sow (Arkansas): Whats the deal Marc? Cal State Fullerton grads get no love. I'm a 20 and 10 player in the D-league and yet I can't get a call up. Can you call Babcock for me, and plead my case. I know I've left enough messages on his voice mail.

Marc Stein: It's just your luck, Pape, that the one position where the Raps are (reasonably) well-stocked is the four. You will not be surprised to hear that I'd find a way to get you minutes if I were coaching the Raps, but if Sam is going to sit you, I'd rather see you tearing up the D-League (on NBA TV this afternoon, if I'm not mistaken). Titan fans need your big numbers right now because the team you left behind is off to such a disappointing start.

Marc Stein: Thanks for all the questions, everyone. We'll do it again soon.
AUTOADVERT
marc stein chat wrap

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy