Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/3/2006  12:01 PM
Passion always in fashion
By Greg Anthony
ESPN Insider

Eddy Curry had some of his biggest moments in his brief New York Knicks career in Monday night's 140-133 triple-overtime win over the Phoenix Suns.

When the Knicks' big offseason acquisition stood at the foul line in the final moments of regulation, calmly sinking two free throws that helped send the game into overtime, it reminded the Madison Square Garden fans why perhaps the deal was made to bring him here from Chicago.

But those high points have been few and far between from the hefty center. Since Isiah Thomas dealt for him, the Curry deal ultimately has the potential to sink the Knicks, who have put a lot of the franchise's future in his hands. And the statistical impact of the main man Chicago got from the Knicks for Curry, fellow widebody Mike Sweetney, has been about dead even. That's not a good sign for New York.

My big problem with Curry: he has shown no evidence of having the passion needed to become a great player. Curry, who did much of his 20-point, 12-rebound damage Monday when ex-Knick Kurt Thomas was out with foul trouble, still has not shown the fire that it takes to be great.

The biggest measure of the deal will be how the draft picks the Bulls obtained, including the Knicks' conditional No. 1 in the coming draft, pan out. Both teams are struggling now, the Knicks' 8-21 mark flirting with the league's worst record. The Bulls have lost seven straight, dropping to 12-18 on the season with a 93-92 loss to the Bucks. In the loss, Sweetney had a late miss in his seven-point, nine-rebound effort.

Curry's numbers don't reflect greatness either. He's been 13.5 points per game, and 6.4 rebounds per game, right around Sweetney's 11.2 and 6.1.

The Knicks were looking for him to be one of those 20-point, 10-rebound per game guys. That's not a big group in the NBA, guys like Duncan, Jermaine O'Neal, Kevin Garnett, Amare Stoudemire. And those 20-10 guys are usually a part of winning teams.

Curry still could become the centerpiece for the Knicks. Even though he hasn't panned out yet, it's hard to give up on a guy at the age 23. And he does have as good as the game has in a teacher when it comes to Larry Brown.

By dealing Curry, the Bulls don't have to deal with the situation of paying for somebody's potential. This gives them the chance to find the next big-time player. The Bulls still have good talent, and they still have a chance to make the playoffs this year.

Chicago's core is legit, Hinrich, Deng, Duhon, Gordon and more --- those guys can play at a high level -- the question now is their ability to put the supporting cast around them. They now have the flexibility to do that with the salary cap, and the Knicks' draft picks.

Both teams held strong playoff hopes entering the season. Chicago's isn't gone yet, but the Knicks don't have much of a shot now. In the years ahead, I think Chicago will have a chance at great things, but the Knicks will likely be the ones with questions that will need to be answered.

The biggest of all: does Curry have the passion to be great?
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
1/3/2006  12:46 PM
A couple things stood out to me in that article.

- the Bulls mention of talet included no PF or Center. The 2 harest positions to fill.

- the bulls have a shot at the playoffs but the Knicks do not? The Bulls currently have 4 more wins than the Knicks.

- the draft picks the Bulls obtained, including the Knicks' conditional No. 1 in the coming draft. Conditional? Typo?
PURE KNICKS LOVE
FireIsiah
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1029

1/3/2006  12:57 PM
The point is that sweetney is playing just as good as curry and we gave up a top 5 pick. The question would be would u rather have Morrison/Aldridge/Gay and Sweetney or just Curry?
I want to leave something that's going to stand for a long timeI want to leave a legacy,I want to leave tradition.I want to leave an imprint,a blueprint in terms of how people play,and how they coach and how they respond when they put on the Knick uni.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/3/2006  1:02 PM
Posted by FireIsiah:

The point is that sweetney is playing just as good as curry and we gave up a top 5 pick. The question would be would u rather have Morrison/Aldridge/Gay and Sweetney or just Curry?

Your name is really dumb.

But in any case, we are not picking in the draft tommorow, it will be at the end of the season. We have alot of ground to make up, but I doubt we will be the 3rd or even 5th worst team in the league by seasons end. I would rather have Curry. The point Zeke made is valid, Curry is in the same age group as thoses guys and if he were in the draft he would be the #1 pick by a long shot. If you can turn Sweets into Curry, you do it. We cannot cry over milk that hasn't been spilled yet. The pdraft still has to happen and the guy picked still has to pan out in a major way, AND Curry has to show no improvement. When all of those things happen holler at me. Until then, STFU.
attaboy2005
Member: #992

1/3/2006  1:07 PM
Posted by FireIsiah:

Until last nite Sweetney was benched for two games, so there is something to be said about that.
bigbeast
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1060

1/3/2006  1:08 PM
First off, Anthony said Hinrich, Gordon, Deng and Duhon are the core players and they need a supporting cast around them. I think Greg has got that twisted, those guys are supporting-cast-type players and they need a core (superstar) player to help them over the the top.

Also, Curry has averaged 20 pts and 12 rbnds over the last three games. Sweetney just got demoted and is now comming off the bench. His play has been going backwards, over the last three I think he's averaging about 9pts and 6-7 rbnds.

And why are the Bulls still in the playoff and the Knicks aren't. As bad as the knicks have been playing there only 3 and a half games behind the bulls.
"Man, who knows with this team." Aguirre.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
1/3/2006  1:17 PM
Posted by FireIsiah:

if that is true, why has Sweetney been moved to the bench??

Sweets vs. Curry
11.1ppg vs. 13.8ppg
6.2rpg vs. 6.8rpg
.72 bpg vs. 1.05bpg
48.8fg% vs. 52FG%
60.8ft% vs. 63.4ft%

Plus, Sweetney is no center. Now, tell me again how sweets is playing just as well as curry.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
1/3/2006  1:17 PM
Posted by Andrew:

A couple things stood out to me in that article.

- the Bulls mention of talet included no PF or Center. The 2 harest positions to fill.

- the bulls have a shot at the playoffs but the Knicks do not? The Bulls currently have 4 more wins than the Knicks.

- the draft picks the Bulls obtained, including the Knicks' conditional No. 1 in the coming draft. Conditional? Typo?

With 2 potentially high draft picks next year plus $20MM in cap room I think they'll address their lack of size. It's also been proven that you don't need a great or even very good center to win a championship.

4 more wins is still 4 more wins. Even then I think the Bulls, with a nucleus that made the playoffs last year, are a better bet to make a playoff run than the Knicks at this point.

I think he meant that it's conditional in terms of it being better than the San Antonio pick. There are conditions on it but nothing that is likely to keep it from going to the Bulls this year.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/3/2006  1:23 PM
I think Curry needs to experience some winning. Plain and simple. If he gets in shape like he was last year and plays like he did last night than I have no problem with the trade no matter where we pick.

He missed a ton of FTs but the Suns simply couldnt deal with him. Funny how someone said he only did well when KT was out of the game, but I seem to remember Curry as being part of the reason KT fouled out in the first place.

I think you saw some of the fire and passion last night, and I think you saw it because of the energy in the garden and his desire to win that game.

He's 23 and he's doing the right stuff. He's got a live in chef that prepares low fat meals for him. He's getting his strength back. He's playing out of shape but playing his way into shape.

I see a lot of good signs for Curry right now
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
1/3/2006  1:27 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by FireIsiah:

But in any case, we are not picking in the draft tommorow, it will be at the end of the season. We have alot of ground to make up, but I doubt we will be the 3rd or even 5th worst team in the league by seasons end. I would rather have Curry. The point Zeke made is valid, Curry is in the same age group as thoses guys and if he were in the draft he would be the #1 pick by a long shot. If you can turn Sweets into Curry, you do it. We cannot cry over milk that hasn't been spilled yet. The pdraft still has to happen and the guy picked still has to pan out in a major way, AND Curry has to show no improvement. When all of those things happen holler at me. Until then, STFU.

Stop hating. I think his name is great.

And the milk has been spilt already. The picks are gone. It's just a matter of how big the spill is going to be. And we're not judging this on just this year's pick. If Sweetney plus the FOUR picks turn out to be bigger pieces to the puzzle than just Curry, then Isiah screwed up in a big way.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
jaydh
1/3/2006  1:40 PM
Posted by islesfan:
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by FireIsiah:

Stop hating. I think his name is great.

And the milk has been spilt already. The picks are gone. It's just a matter of how big the spill is going to be. And we're not judging this on just this year's pick. If Sweetney plus the FOUR picks turn out to be bigger pieces to the puzzle than just Curry, then Isiah screwed up in a big way.

4 picks...lol, what 2 2nd rounders? if they can find a good player in the 2nd round, then they will be lucky as hell. we gave up the unprotected 1st next year, and only the **OPTION** to switch with us in 07, doesnt mean we are switching, but even if we are, the bulls pick couldnt be much worse.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
1/3/2006  1:44 PM
The article is very inacurate. You can have many opinions on the topic, but this particualr writer knows very little about basketball in general. So I would not value his 2 cents very much.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
McK1
Member: #964
1/3/2006  1:46 PM
and only the **OPTION** to switch with us in 07, doesnt mean we are switching, but even if we are, the bulls pick couldnt be much worse.

2 first rounders (both likely in the top 15) and 20 mill in cap-space in a top 3 market to go along with Deng Gordon Heinrich Duhon and Sweetney all still playing on their rookie contracts and Chandler.

Projection is the key here. Bulls have a ton of assets to boost themselves externally as well as internally

[Edited by - McK1 on 01-03-2006 1:48 PM]
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
jaydh
1/3/2006  1:51 PM
Posted by McK1:
and only the **OPTION** to switch with us in 07, doesnt mean we are switching, but even if we are, the bulls pick couldnt be much worse.

2 first rounders (both likely in the top 15) and 20 mill in cap-space in a top 3 market to go along with Deng Gordon Heinrich Duhon and Sweetney all still playing on their rookie contracts and Chandler.

Projection is the key here. Bulls have a tn of assetts to boost themselves externally as well as internally

The 06 pick is theirs. The 07 pick, if we are better than the bulls wont be going anywhere thereby making the curry trade only having 1 1st rounder, YET if we are worse than the bulls, we still get the bulls pick if they swap. No biggie since the bulls arent exaclty one of the elite teams. Sweets is nothing special(his game hasnt improved from last season), hes been relegated to the bench where i'm sure he will remain.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/3/2006  1:52 PM
Curry has done some things even this year Sweets could only dream of.

With larry, you set the bar higher with some players.

I would take curry over any one in the draft, and we still got 50 plus games to go!
McK1
1/3/2006  1:58 PM
you must really believe Isiah's "fore-sight" on the draft.

Isiah is a good evaluator of talent. He is not a good evaluator of professional capacity of prospects.

Any GM who says Nate Robinson was the best pg in a draft that featured CP3 Williams and Felton and only fell b/c he is 5' 9 is clearly an imbecile
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
jaydh
1/3/2006  2:00 PM
Posted by McK1:

Any GM who says Nate Robinson was the best pg in a draft that featured CP3 Williams and Felton and only fell b/c he is 5' 9 is clearly an imbecile

he def was not even a PG when he was drafted; but he did fall only because of his height, a definate lottery pick if he was 6'6"

[Edited by - jaydh on 01-03-2006 2:01 PM]
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/3/2006  2:01 PM
Isles Knick look.......
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/3/2006  2:02 PM
Posted by McK1:

Projection is the key here. Bulls have a ton of assets to boost themselves externally as well as internally

realistically the Bulls have had this same option for like the last 5 years, and they are still treading water. Remember the year TMac was a free agent... wouldn't go to Chi.

I can't remember the last big name free agent switching teams. TMac to Orlando, Shaq to LA, who else?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
McK1
1/3/2006  2:09 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by McK1:

realistically the Bulls have had this same option for like the last 5 years, and they are still treading water. Remember the year TMac was a free agent... wouldn't go to Chi.

I can't remember the last big name free agent switching teams. TMac to Orlando, Shaq to LA, who else?

a) different regime

b) Joe Johnson to Atlanta. KG might want to go home after this season . 20 mill in capspace and the roster spot(s) + multiple draft picks + perhaps young talent on rookie contracts is good clean deal to a motivated seller
passion always in fashion (article)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy