Member: #261
USA
1/3/2006  8:27 AM
Knicks rise over
Sun in thriller
BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
Tuesday, January 3rd, 2006

The longest game in the history of Madison Square Garden lasted 63 heart-stopping minutes and included more favorable whistles than any one team should get.

But for the Knicks, down in both the standings and in the morale department, all that mattered was that they managed to survive against a playoff-caliber team and started 2006 by doing something they didn't do enough of in 2005.

"It was a huge win for us because there haven't been a lot of opportunities for us to smile," Larry Brown said after the Knicks' 140-133 triple-overtime victory over the Phoenix Suns. "I could see that it meant a lot to them."

The Knicks improved to 8-21 and managed to rise above the turmoil that is festering in the locker room. Before the game, the Knicks announced that backup center Jerome James has been suspended indefinitely for conduct detrimental to the team. Also, after Trevor Ariza learned from a team official that Brown had told the media he had been beaten out of the rotation by David Lee and Qyntel Woods, the backup small forward admitted the coach's rotation has everyone "confused." Brown, however, stuck to his promise of a tighter rotation that included Lee, a rookie, getting a start and playing 52 minutes. And Lee made the most of it by converting 10 of 11 shots while establishing season highs in points (23) and rebounds (15).

Meanwhile, the road-weary Suns were forced to conclude their five-game trip with players they seemingly picked off the street. They stuck around until early in the final OT, when Stephon Marbury finally reappeared and scored seven of his 32 points. Jamal Crawford added 29 and Eddy Curry, who tied the game in regulation by hitting two free throws with 8.4 seconds left after a questionable foul call, scored 13 of his 20 in the overtimes.

Steve Nash, the reigning MVP, put on a dazzling display for Phoenix with 28 points and 22 assists. Shawn Marion added 39 points and 14 rebounds in 60 minutes as he and Nash were the only two Phoenix starters who didn't foul out.

Overall, Phoenix was called for 41 fouls compared to 27 for the Knicks. Brown's team also attempted 54 free throws, making 32, while Phoenix went 14-for-16 from the line and left New York feeling like they were in an Oliver Stone movie.

"When you foul out your whole team and you have the rest of the guys running on fumes after a nine-day road trip, for us just to hang around at that point is outstanding," Nash said.

The Suns had three starters - Raja Bell, Boris Diaw and former Knick Kurt Thomas - all foul out in the last six minutes of the fourth quarter, forcing Phoenix to use journeyman Pat Burke as its center. Burke was giving up 35 pounds to Curry, not to mention tons of talent. Burke played 13 minutes before fouling out in the third overtime. With Burke gone, James Jones, who could fit inside Curry's body, was forced to guard the Knicks' center.

"When I saw Burke come in, I definitely felt like things were (about) to turn around for me a little bit," Curry said. "I'm sure he's a great player and everything but I think the refs let Kurt Thomas get away with a little more than Burke can."

Curry was a load in overtime. He totaled 10 points and 10 rebounds in 13 minutes, including a tap-in with 1:48 remaining in the second overtime that gave the Knicks a 127-125 lead. Eddie House tied it with a jumper and the Suns had two chances to take the lead, but Crawford forced Nash into a traveling violation and Burke missed a 22-footer.

The Knicks came up empty for a third straight trip, this time with a hobbled Crawford missing badly. Phoenix called timeout with 9.3 seconds left and ended up with Burke yet again taking the biggest shot and missing, this time from the corner.

Nash had a chance to win the game in regulation but with Lee in his face, missed a 20-foot jumper at the buzzer. The Knicks, who led by 13 in regulation, went ahead by four in the first overtime and were down 116-112 with two minutes left before Robinson scored four quick points. Crawford had a chance to win the game but his pull-up 15-footer bounced out. Curry opened the third OT with a three-point play and the Knicks never trailed again.

Could you write a more negative description of an exciting road win than this?
AUTOADVERT
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
USA
1/3/2006  8:29 AM
Not to mention that this idiot says that the game lasted only 63 minutes. How do these guys have their jobs? An error in the first sentence?
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
1/3/2006  8:31 AM
48 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 63
PURE KNICKS LOVE
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
1/3/2006  8:32 AM
48 + 5 + 5= 63

the beat writers have been more right about this team than wrong. Put the kool-aid down.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
1/3/2006  8:32 AM
thats strange, becuase I dont see it as being negative at all. I think its a pretty accurate desciption of what happened
Killa4luv
USA
1/3/2006  8:43 AM
Posted by Andrew:

48 + 5 + 5 + 5 = 63

Ooops. Alright.

To all who disagree with me, do the papers EVER mention when the refs do us us dirty? (which is often)
Do they ever take into account when we are on a west coast trip playing 5 games in 6 or nights?
We beat a team with players the Suns 'picked up off the street'?
Nash says its outstanding to hang around with the team who is tied for thwe worst record in the league?
The foul disparity is simple to explain= we take the most ft's in the league, they take the least. Why no mention of that?
We did get some homecooking, finally, but I saw about 4 or 5 calls in all. Nothing to write about as if the refs handed us the game.
How many times has Nate been called on phantom fouls after his remarks? I haven't read a single word about it in the papers.

KT was playing dirty the whole game and hung around for alot longer than he should have.

[Edited by - Killa4luv on 01-03-2006 08:44 AM]
McK1
Member: #964
1/3/2006  8:54 AM
nice spin but this is what Nash actually said:

"When you foul out your whole team and you have the rest of the guys running on fumes after a nine-day road trip, for us just to hang around at that point is outstanding," Nash said.

it was a gutty effort for them.

ps
what happened to Nash not getting numbers?

28 22 and 5 boards
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/3/2006  8:56 AM
this is coming from the same cat who said he was done with the knicks if they lost last week and that nate was an over hyped POS, doesnt belong in the nBA. I dont use the word hater--i have no idea what it mena s, but after announcing that i qill quit on my team if they lose, I wouldnt use that word dig
RIP Crushalot😞
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/3/2006  8:56 AM
The longest game in the history of Madison Square Garden lasted 63 heart-stopping minutes and included more favorable whistles than any one team should get.

But for the Knicks, down in both the standings and in the morale department, all that mattered was that they managed to survive against a playoff-caliber team and started 2006 by doing something they didn't do enough of in 2005.

Just keeping it real.
Killa4luv
USA
1/3/2006  9:51 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

this is coming from the same cat who said he was done with the knicks if they lost last week and that nate was an over hyped POS, doesnt belong in the nBA. I dont use the word hater--i have no idea what it mena s, but after announcing that i qill quit on my team if they lose, I wouldnt use that word dig

BRIGGS either you dont read very well, or you're an idiot or you enjoy hyperbole. I wont venture to guess which it is.

I said Nate was over-rated and had a long way to go. Nothing close to a POS who doesn't belong in the NBA. Having said that he's been playing well as of late.

I said if the knicks quit on me I would quit on them. It was an emotional response to the losing and obviously a desperate plea for them to please beat the Utah Jazz at least. As a fan of Hyperbole I would expect you to get that. I just had a baby and the knicks were bringing me down. I am a fanatic. I tried to quit posting and I think I was able to go a whole 3 or days (but was reading the boards everyday of course).

That subltey escapes you is no surprise. Keep going and I will unload the laundry list of stupid, arrogant, and incoherent things you have said. 'Bank it'. But you'll probably wait for Martin to use his Mod powers to shelter you from my onslaught like a little....okay, okay, I wont go that far. But lets just remember this:

People who live in glass houses, should not throw stones. OK, Briggy?

firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
1/3/2006  10:10 AM
fight fight fight fight
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
Killa4luv
USA
1/3/2006  10:24 AM
Posted by McK1:

nice spin but this is what Nash actually said:

it was a gutty effort for them.

ps
what happened to Nash not getting numbers?

28 22 and 5 boards
The assist numbers were incredible, but you know what? his team lost, bottom line.
BlueSeats
Alba Posts: 41
Member: #1024

1/3/2006  11:17 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:

The assist numbers were incredible, but you know what? his team lost, bottom line.

heehee,

remember than next time someone tells you we're 25-57 over the past year.

NYKniCksFan87
Member: #700
1/3/2006  11:20 AM
what about these numbers....Nash 10-25 from the field
''We don't have the luxury to take anybody lightly,'' New York's Quentin Richardson said. ''We're not that good.''
Killa4luv
USA
1/3/2006  11:26 AM
Even in victory, some enjoy bashing the team. Why not root for another franchise? Cheer on the nets or Brevin Knight and the bobcats. Just get away from me with your anti-knick posts. We won and I am happy about that. perhaps you 2 dark clouds aren't, but I am.
Knight
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #968
1/3/2006  11:31 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:

Even in victory, some enjoy bashing the team.

Victory is a winning record. Until then something deserves to be bashed.

[Edited by - Knight on 01-03-2006 11:33 AM]
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
BlueSeats
Alba Posts: 41
Member: #1024

1/3/2006  11:33 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:

Even in victory, some enjoy bashing the team.

Nah, just enjoying bashing you.

Killa4luv
USA
1/3/2006  11:37 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:

We won and I am happy about that. Perhaps you 3 dark clouds aren't, but I am.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
1/3/2006  11:43 AM
Ah, the drama. How do you guys still find the energy to get wo worked up about a season that is pretty much done?

Just enjoy the development of young playes and do the healhty thing and accept the no pick thing.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/3/2006  11:50 AM
the discrepancy in foul calls had nothing to do with the refs, it was style of play more than anything else. The Knicks take more FTs than any other team in the NBA. The Suns take the fewest. So whats the shock when the Knicks take a bunch more? Pho is more about running and shooting 3's and transition jumpers. Knicks are about getting the ball in the post.

I dont care if you write negative stuff, but offer us something with substance. That article sucked and was pretty typical of Knick coverage.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Even in victory Isola is a hater.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy