[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

N Y Post - Robinson and Lee to start as Brown sets a rotation of nine.
Author Thread
Ira
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #91
1/2/2006  5:35 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/59782.htm

"January 2, 2006 -- It's a new year and the Knicks have a new goal: Develop the young players.
Coach Larry Brown announced it's time to sink or swim with their three first-round rookies, even if it means sacrificing wins. The biggest shocker? David Lee will become the new permanent starting small forward — the vacuum position on the roster.

For the second time in three weeks, Brown said he's ready to pare his rotation to nine men and establish a set starting lineup that will include two rookies — Nate Robinson at shooting guard and David Lee at small forward.

If the Knicks are going to lose, they might as well lose with the young guys. The Knicks, who face the Suns and old friend Kurt Thomas tonight, are tied for the NBA's worst record at 7-21 with Atlanta. The tragedy is their potential No. 1 pick was dealt to the Bulls in the Eddy Curry trade.

"I've talked to Isiah [Thomas] about this for weeks," Brown said. "We're 7-21. We might as well play some of the younger kids, get down to a shorter rotation and give those kids some experience. How our season is going, the most important thing is to play them.""
AUTOADVERT
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
1/2/2006  5:39 AM
Heard it before - at least about the rotation = and it hasnt stuck.

Also how can you believe Larry? Just a month ago Frye had earned a starting position and where is he now? Why all of a sudden are Nate and Lee going to start?

I think its good they will get playing time, but I dont think this is the smartest decision.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
oohah
Member: #887
1/2/2006  6:16 AM
If Lee is really the best starting SF available on this roster and LB kept him inactive all this time, it is time to seriously start questioning LB's strategy.

"January 2, 2006 -- It's a new year and the Knicks have a new goal: Develop the young players.
Coach Larry Brown announced it's time to sink or swim with their three first-round rookies, even if it means sacrificing wins. The biggest shocker? David Lee will become the new permanent starting small forward — the vacuum position on the roster.

Sacrificing wins? If starting Lee sacrifices wins on a 7-21 team, we are worse off than I thought!

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
King1
Member: #998
USA
1/2/2006  6:55 AM
Larry Brown has a huge ego. He wouldnt be playing these guys unless he thought he could win. He will get this turned around the guy is crazy but can coach
DarkKnicks
Member: #882
Spain
1/2/2006  9:27 AM
Woods or Ariza are better (and they are young) at the 3 than Lee. If we want to play Lee, make him Frye's back up and that's it, almost 20 minutes per night. I don't know why Crawford isn't our starting SG since Q is doing so bad. I'm happy we play the young kids but playing but Nate at the 2 and Lee at the 3 is doing things not the most logical way. Oh well, nevermind, we will lose anyway.
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
1/2/2006  10:21 AM
where is frye? Is he starting? Why no crawford? LB has gone senile. I say start all three rooks, curry and marbs.
all kool aid all the time.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
1/2/2006  10:29 AM
frye doesn't start b/c his defense is pretty poor. it will be AD.

i don't understand why crawford doesn't but my thinking is two-fold: 1. he wants crawford at the point and 2. we'd have nobody to run the team off the bench.
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
1/2/2006  11:01 AM
Posted by DarkKnicks:

Woods or Ariza are better (and they are young) at the 3 than Lee. If we want to play Lee, make him Frye's back up and that's it, almost 20 minutes per night. I don't know why Crawford isn't our starting SG since Q is doing so bad. I'm happy we play the young kids but playing but Nate at the 2 and Lee at the 3 is doing things not the most logical way. Oh well, nevermind, we will lose anyway.

Im still of the opinion that Larry Brown knows alot more about who's better at what position than we do, also I can see the rotation being shortened too, a couple of things were revealed the other night against the bucks, namely that Lee is a capable 3, and that JJ, and rose shouldnt get minutes.

[Edited by - slimpack on 01-02-2006 11:03 AM]
King1
USA
1/2/2006  11:04 AM
How cdan you say Ariza better he has started 10 games and he really didnt get anything done. Ariza has been a three all his life and is in his second year in the league. Lee has been a three for 2 months and put up the same numbers as Ariza and will get better each game. Just wait and see by the end of the month Lee will be getting 8 points 10 rebounds a game.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
1/2/2006  11:05 AM
This is the first step to coming out of this madness. No more Malik Rose. No more Jerome James. Players need to know what's being asked of them and they need to know when they'll play.

While I'd prefer Channing to start, if this means guys will get set minutes, I'm fine with it.

Also, there's been no mention of how Ariza fits in to this. I'm guessing he's the 9th man and will continue to guard the big swingmen around the league.
¿ △ ?
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
1/2/2006  11:05 AM
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by DarkKnicks:

Im still of the opinion that Larry Brown knows alot more about who's better at what position than we do, also I can see the rotation being shortened too, a couple of things were revealed against the bucks, namely that Lee is a capable 3, and that JJ, and rose shouldnt get minutes.

Hey I love Lee and i'm excited abouit his future but right now I don't call him a capable 3. Especially on a team that needs scoring from that spot. He's got the rebounding down pat for a 3 and he's unseleish and heady but where's the handle, outside shooting, ablility to create baskets for yourself, etc?
crzymdups
USA
1/2/2006  11:08 AM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by DarkKnicks:

Im still of the opinion that Larry Brown knows alot more about who's better at what position than we do, also I can see the rotation being shortened too, a couple of things were revealed against the bucks, namely that Lee is a capable 3, and that JJ, and rose shouldnt get minutes.

Hey I love Lee and i'm excited abouit his future but right now I don't call him a capable 3. Especially on a team that needs scoring from that spot. He's got the rebounding down pat for a 3 and he's unseleish and heady but where's the handle, outside shooting, ablility to create baskets for yourself, etc?

We don't have a three like that on the entire roster. I'm hoping Isiah goes out in the trade market and addresses that...
¿ △ ?
TheSage
Member: #386
1/2/2006  11:14 AM
Dark and RV-I don't intend to demean your knowledge of the players or Dr. Naismith's game however when one determines that he or she has greater knowledge than a man holding rings from three disparate venues and has his name on hall of fame plaques at the college and professional level I believe it is incumbant upon them to set forth their credentials.

Craw isn't starting because he's the spark off the bench at either pg or sg and LB wants Nate in there for the energy he brings to the starting unit and Lee for his boarding. He wants Frye off the bench at either c or pf and to push him with his d. AD brings a bit of Oak with him and some boarding to help out Curry. There is a method to LB's "madness" and his chemical mixture is still being brewed. It probably won't be complete until the trade deadline has passed and he sees what he has for this season and next.

[Edited by - TheSage on 01-02-2006 11:15 AM]
crzymdups
USA
1/2/2006  11:20 AM
I don't have a problem with Nate starting. he's more active defensively and he's had some great games when he's started. He seems to be much more involved and aggressive when he starts, where Craw is a mystery and starting doesn't seem to change that.

I'll give credit to Brown for starting Nate, it's weird, but it seems to work pretty well. Then again, the Bucks back court torched us. But that was mainly pick and roll defense again.
¿ △ ?
King1
USA
1/2/2006  11:21 AM
I agree he isnt ready but how is he going to learn in practice? Woods or Ariza isnt the answer and I dont think they need him to score. They need some defenders and unselfish players. They have enough players that want to shoot and score. Browns team win by playing hard and being unselfish. I think you will start seeing this team make progress. he finally is giving up on the vets and that was the first step
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/2/2006  11:22 AM
a couple things... I read nothing into this move as Larry often doesnt play starters starter minutes, so big whoop. Now if they are commited to playing Lee at SF for 25-35 minutes a night then great.

If we take advantage of having an oversized player there than great. that means post ups and backdoor plays. It also means he probably gets you 10 boards a night which is key playing next to guys like Frye and Curry. Lee is a good passer also and seems to see the floor well.

Supposedly Brown is starting Nate also, so having the extra ball handler on the floor with the big line up is key.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
1/2/2006  11:37 AM
ive been a little critical of lee at 3 but right now im excited and hoping for the best. not every player has to be a scorer, although with nate lee davis in the SL, that kind of limits scoring a bit BUt it does make us BIGGER and SMARTER in the backline as guys blow past our guards:>(

Hopefully Lee can give us 8 points 11 reb 3 asi with good D. maybe some more points tonight against the up tempo suns.
RIP Crushalot😞
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
1/2/2006  11:43 AM
Hey, how did I get dragged into this? I just wondered where Frye was, if we are sinking or swimming with the rooks, and he's our best rook, I was just suprised. That makes frye and craw as the 6th and seventh player in rotation, then we assume reezy. Who is the 9th? Jackie B?
Posted by TheSage:

Dark and RV-I don't intend to demean your knowledge of the players or Dr. Naismith's game however when one determines that he or she has greater knowledge than a man holding rings from three disparate venues and has his name on hall of fame plaques at the college and professional level I believe it is incumbant upon them to set forth their credentials.
[Edited by - TheSage on 01-02-2006 11:15 AM]

[Edited by - rvhoss on 01-02-2006 11:44 AM]
all kool aid all the time.
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
1/2/2006  11:49 AM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by SlimPack:
Posted by DarkKnicks:

Well I guess you dont have to be a HOF coach to realize that those are valid points, but I think david lee's offense is coming along. There was a game where he hit two jumpshots in a row(I know that isnt a whole lot but its something), I think he just needs to be more confident with his J, becuase in the most recent milwaukee game, he simply didnt look to score, but he does have a pretty good jumpshot, in fact its probably better than arizas already, thats why Im not opposed to lee at the 3, also qwood gets beaten off the dribble too easily.

[Edited by - slimpack on 01-02-2006 11:50 AM]
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
1/2/2006  11:49 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

i don't understand why crawford doesn't but my thinking is two-fold: 1. he wants crawford at the point and 2. we'd have nobody to run the team off the bench.

wow, people are starting to get it
N Y Post - Robinson and Lee to start as Brown sets a rotation of nine.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy