[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Why running isn't the answer.
Author Thread
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
1/1/2006  10:22 PM
Phoenix runs as a system. Nash is a superb tempo setter, the ball moves, and for the most part they take good shots.

the shots Arenas and Ray Allen throw up border on thee absurd. Guys that you would want to get touches like Etan and Collison end up being garbage men instead. IMO the same would likely happen with NY's guards being allowed to play fast.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
AUTOADVERT
oohah
Member: #887
1/1/2006  10:27 PM
the shots Arenas and Ray Allen throw up border on thee absurd. Guys that you would want to get touches like Etan and Collison end up being garbage men instead

Etan Thomas, Evans, and Collison ARE GARBAGEMEN. The less 'touches' they get the better, with the possible exception of Collison. Yes the Sonics and WIzards do throw up some wild shots, but the right people are shooting.

IMO the same would likely happen with NY's guards being allowed to play fast

So the Knicks would be a better team then? They are not exactly a smashing success thus far.

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 01-01-2006 10:36 PM]
Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
McK1
1/1/2006  10:43 PM
Etan Thomas can score in the post.

Nick Collison has another level besides put backs. He can slash. He can spot up out to 20. He can pull up off the dribble and nail the 15 footer.

and I don't think NY's record would be better by much

the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
oohah
1/1/2006  10:47 PM
Etan Thomas can score in the post.
Nick Collison has another level besides put backs. He can slash. He can spot up out to 20. He can pull up off the dribble and nail the 15 footer.

I am not saying they are bad players, but they are not "goto" guys and they don't warrant more than a few touches per game other than the touches they create themselves.

and I don't think NY's record would be better by much

I don't either, the Knicks are simply a bad team. But the idea that running would hurt the team seems preposterous to me since they are the worst in the NBA.

oohah

McK1
1/1/2006  10:47 PM
Ray Allen Gil Arenas coming down off the dribble throwing up about 15 22-27 footers a night on average makes them the wrong person shooting alot of the time. Those shots kill your offensive flow and transition D.
oohah
1/1/2006  10:54 PM
Ray Allen Gil Arenas coming down off the dribble throwing up about 15 22-27 footers a night on average makes them the wrong person shooting alot of the time. Those shots kill your offensive flow and transition D.

Unlike the wonderful flow and defense we have going on?

In any case I am not arguing for them to play as in the extreme examples you are describing. I am talking about playing to the obvious strengths of the players the Knicks have: Speed and athleticism. As opposed to what LB is doing: Playing to the strengths of Davis and Rose.

oohah

OldFan
Member: #446
1/1/2006  10:54 PM
Posted by oohah:
I disagree with the premise that the knicks have players that fit the running system. I stated why. They don't play defense, don't rebound and don't take care of the ball. Being able to run fast and dunk - does not make a running team. This team lacks the defense and rebounding to consistently get the opportunity to run and lacks the passing and know how to effectively run given the opportunity.

All the weaknesses you described are true whether they play half-court or if they run. The difference is if they play an uptempo game they are taking better advantage of the player's abilities--if there is one thing we can say about the knicks it's that we have athletes.

What we don't have is players who can execute in the halfcourt set. We don't have shooters, which is mandatory for a successful half-court team. We don't have executors and we ain't a bruising team.

Furthermore:

1) To run you have to play D. It's hard to run when you're taking the ball out of the net. Until the Knicks can get some stops running ain't an option.

Perhaps if we played an uptempo style we could PRESS. Don't tell me we don't have the right players for a pressing defense. This team is terrible in the halfcourt both offensively and defensively, so what are we losing by running or pressing? The Knicks are the worst team in the league plaing their current style! They have to take advantage of the personnel. Create some turnovers and some opportunities. Give the other team something to think about--which they are not doing playing half-court.

2) To run you have to make good decisions with the ball.

Same goes with playing half-court style--even moreso. The players the Knicks have are better suited to running, so they have a better chance of success ball-decision making being equal.

3) Marbs so far in his career has not shown the running the break to be one of his Strengths. What running team has ever been successful without a PG that was excellent at running the break?

He hasn't been successful running a half-court set either. However, he finishes at the basket better than most players in the game at any position. If the Knicks run, that uses Marbury to his strengths, it causes defenses to concentrate on him, opens up the lanes for Ariza, Frye, and Lee to jambola, and for frye to get OPEN j's as a trailer.

Also, if Crawford isn't the type of player who thrives in an uptempo game, I don't know who is. NR could use his athletic abilities better to get steals and push the ball. Q might get some of those open 3's he enjoyed in Phoenix.

4) Curry - a key component of the offense - is out of shape and has trouble even playing at half court pace.

Curry has had a enough time to get in shape--3 months at least. There is no longer any excuse for him to not be in game shape. They can't tailor the game plan to when he might be in shape. In any case, Curry does not have to be the main man all the time. Curry is a half-court player. Go to him when you can't run, and run when you can!

5) To run - you need to have a Strong Defensive rebounding team. This team is only a so-so defensive rebounding team.

This is still hurting us with the half-court style. So why not take advantage of some of the team's strengths?

Apparently you disagree. That's great - but please expain why.

No need to be obnoxious.

Running isn't the answer, but it is a lot closer to the answer than trying to fit a running peg into a half-court hole.

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 01-01-2006 7:36 PM]

If we were running track this would be a good running team. I don't think we have enough team cohesion for running to benefit this team at this point. All the players you mention are young and fast - and bad decision makers and prone to taking bad shots who don't play well together. At high speeds these faults become magnified.

But even if you disagree with the above:

Even running teams need an effective 1/2 court offense. Being a good fast break team is optional - a good 1/2 court offense
is mandatory.

The same can be said about 1/2 court defense as opposed to pressing. Being able to press is optional - 1/2 court defense is mandatory.

I think LB is trying to get the team to play smarter and more under control on offense and defense. I think it is easier to build up team play with a more controlled half-court offense then it is with a running offense.

In my view this team has a lot to learn. 1/2 court ball is a must - running is an option. I'd rather they focus on the 1/2 court offense first before working on running.

PS - There was no attempt to be obnoxious in the previous post - I actually was making an apparently failing attempt to be gracious.
OldFan
1/1/2006  11:05 PM
Posted by attaboy2005:
Posted by OldFan:
Posted by oohah:

Running is not a solution for bad basketball teams.

It just so happens that this bad team has a lot of players who can fit in well with a running system. Why not utilize the strengths of players rather than exposing them by playing them in a style that is contrary to their abilities?

oohah

I disagree with the premise that the knicks have players that fit the running system. I stated why. They don't play defense, don't rebound and don't take care of the ball. Being able to run fast and dunk - does not make a running team. This team lacks the defense and rebounding to consistently get the opportunity to run and lacks the passing and know how to effectively run given the opportunity.

Do you think the Suns are a good defensive team, they aren't and they run, that is myth that you have to be an defensive team to run, that fact is we never saw this team run, to know whether they can do it or not. Maybe the problem with our defense is that our offensive is too stagnant, if we ran on offense, and succeeded, then the defense could get better, we won't know unless we try, what do we have to lose at this point and time, the team is already losing so why not give it a try. RUN RUN RUN LIKE HELL!!!!!

The Suns get significantly more defensive stops then the knicks and their opponents points per pessession is actually almost
as good as the Spurs - so yes the Suns are a pretty good defensive team.

The SUNS opponents FG% 43.2% opponents effective 46.3% Opponents Points per 100 possessions 100
KNICKS opponents FG% 45.9% opponents effective 50.3% Opponents Points per 100 possessions 107

McK1
1/1/2006  11:12 PM
Posted by oohah:

Unlike the wonderful flow and defense we have going on?

In any case I am not arguing for them to play as in the extreme examples you are describing. I am talking about playing to the obvious strengths of the players the Knicks have: Speed and athleticism. As opposed to what LB is doing: Playing to the strengths of Davis and Rose.

oohah

I agree with play to their strengths and like you want to see more pressing and trapping. As for the running I don't believe the guards have the IQ and nerve to play that way. I think we'd see more Jake Plummer in Arizona like performances. Yeah they were exciting but with the game on the line, the scramble and 30-40 yard flings drew just as much turf and turnovers as they did receptions for big gains and the team rarely won. His efficiency and record in Denver playing reigned in has been phenomenal and he is doing it with 55 yr old Rod Smith as his no. 1 WR.

[Edited by - McK1 on 01-01-2006 11:14 PM]
BigC
Member: #829
1/1/2006  11:19 PM
Besides rebounding the ball, to run you also have to have a running squad on the court.

There is no way in hell the Knicks are going to running with AD, James, Marbury and Q. Other teams that quicker will be able to run down the court faster.

If we want to run we should have a line up that includes Nate and Jamal with Lee,Ariza or Woods, Frye, and Curry.

As far as Curry running. He gets down the court like any other big man. James is a different story.
BigC's Knick blogs and Knicks highlights after every Knicks game http://fromthebaseline.com/
oohah
1/2/2006  12:05 AM
If we were running track this would be a good running team. I don't think we have enough team cohesion for running to benefit this team at this point.

I am not looking for a good team...I am looking for a better than 7-21 team. What the Knicks have going on now in no way benefits team cohesion. I don't see how running will damage the Knick's non-existent team cohesion.

All the players you mention are young and fast - and bad decision makers and prone to taking bad shots who don't play well together. At high speeds these faults become magnified.

I don't agree. Playing in a style that their abilities are not suited to is already magnifying the faults of this team. If anything, running would diminish the bad decision making because they would be playing in a style their abilities fit in to.

But even if you disagree with the above:

Even running teams need an effective 1/2 court offense. Being a good fast break team is optional - a good 1/2 court offense
is mandatory.

I am not arguing against learning to play half court. I just think adding a running game is pretty important considering the players the Knicks have. In any case, what is the point of shoving a half-court system down the throats of players who can't play effectively that way? LB is trying to change not one player, but an entire cast of players!

The same can be said about 1/2 court defense as opposed to pressing. Being able to press is optional - 1/2 court defense is mandatory.

What is mandatory is to create game situations that your players can excel in. This is not against half-court anything, but it is not optional to play uptempo when your players simply can't play a strictly half-court game.

I think LB is trying to get the team to play smarter and more under control on offense and defense. I think it is easier to build up team play with a more controlled half-court offense then it is with a running offense.

I don't see that so far.

In my view this team has a lot to learn. 1/2 court ball is a must - running is an option. I'd rather they focus on the 1/2 court offense first before working on running.

Why are the two styles mutually exclusive? They both can be used in the course of one game, even from play to play! Once again, there is no benefit in trying to remake a bunch of players...maybe one or two, but not an entire team. That gets you a 7-21 record.

PS - There was no attempt to be obnoxious in the previous post - I actually was making an apparently failing attempt to be gracious.

If you had left out the: "that's great", it would not have read obnoxiously.

I agree with play to their strengths and like you want to see more pressing and trapping. As for the running I don't believe the guards have the IQ and nerve to play that way. I think we'd see more Jake Plummer in Arizona like performances. Yeah they were exciting but with the game on the line, the scramble and 30-40 yard flings drew just as much turf and turnovers as they did receptions for big gains and the team rarely won. His efficiency and record in Denver playing reigned in has been phenomenal and he is doing it with 55 yr old Rod Smith as his no. 1 WR.

I don't get the assumption that you have to be a higher I.Q. player to run. If anything, it takes a higher I.Q. to maintain a well disciplined half-court team, and other positions than the point guard need to have this high I.Q. because it isn't instinctive.

Besides rebounding the ball, to run you also have to have a running squad on the court.
There is no way in hell the Knicks are going to running with AD, James, Marbury and Q. Other teams that quicker will be able to run down the court faster.

Q excelled in a running system last year. James did pretty well in a fast system last year as well. And when did Marbury become slow or a bad transition player?

If we want to run we should have a line up that includes Nate and Jamal with Lee,Ariza or Woods, Frye, and Curry.

As far as Curry running. He gets down the court like any other big man. James is a different story.

The point is not to run on every play but as the opportunity presents itself and to create more running opportunities. Not all 5 players have to run down simultaneously. There are trailers and if the transition opportunity isn't there, set up a half court play.

oohah

Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
1/2/2006  12:17 AM
Curry can't run, but when he isn't on the court, I would think running would help us get certain guys going. In a half court offense, Ariza, Lee, AD, and Malik Rose are utterly useless.
oohah
1/2/2006  12:25 AM
Curry can't run, but when he isn't on the court, I would think running would help us get certain guys going. In a half court offense, Ariza, Lee, AD, and Malik Rose are utterly useless.

The Knicks can run with Curry on the floor. Not every player on a fast-paced offense has to be a gazelle. All he has to do is rebound, outlet the ball then get his ass down court. If they don't have the transition opportunity, they pull the ball back, and by the time he makes it there they set up the half-court play for Curry.

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 01-02-2006 12:26 AM]
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
1/2/2006  1:07 AM
The thing is our wings aren't great shooters. So if we play half court ball they suffer. And so does the guards because of it. Uptempo offense can also inspire(spell?) better effort on defense as well.

In the end though It doesn't matter if they play half court or uptempo. If they don't play aggressive and with emotion and passion nothing is going to going to work. But if they do play with emotion and passion they could play either way and do good. I prefer uptempo but if we could get Curry going (consistantly) then Half Court would be fine.

[Edited by - newyorknewyork on 01-02-2006 01:08 AM]
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
OldFan
1/2/2006  1:27 AM
Oohah - I think we'll have to agree to disagree on a few points.

1) I don't think having players that run fast means running the break "Suits their Abilities". There are many other necessary skills that are lacking that makes running not suit their abilities.

2) I think the team has a lot to learn and half court is mandatory so why overload them with trying to run and press also.

3) I am not interested in taking the team from 7-21 to 11-17. That to me makes no difference. It's like learning chess in a way that lets you beat so-so players but but at the cost of not learning the basics. I'd rather lose longer and learn right so eventually you can beat good players.

4) I don't think LB is trying to change a whole team of players. This team has no identity or style he's not changing the style he's trying to put one in place. To me Curry and Marbs both seem more comfortable in the half court game. I don't see any reason to think Frye is more productive in a running game and those are the players management is building around. (and all the athletes are bad decision makers - and I reiterate that making decisions at high speed only makes the problem worse)

[Edited by - oldfan on 01-02-2006 01:27 AM]
oohah
1/2/2006  2:24 AM
1) I don't think having players that run fast means running the break "Suits their Abilities". There are many other necessary skills that are lacking that makes running not suit their abilities.

Such as?

2) I think the team has a lot to learn and half court is mandatory so why overload them with trying to run and press also.

The problem with this team is not "learning". The team is not very good plain and simple.

I don't think it is learning half-court or full court. These guys have been playing all their lives. Malik Rose and Antonio Davis have played plenty and they know how to play half-court. Marbury knows how to play half-court. The only players I think need to learn how to play a system are Ariza because of his inexperience and possibly Crawford because he does not learn quick.

What is holding this team back is not the learning of a system. They are not very good and they are playing a style unsuited to their abilities.

3) I am not interested in taking the team from 7-21 to 11-17. That to me makes no difference. It's like learning chess in a way that lets you beat so-so players but but at the cost of not learning the basics. I'd rather lose longer and learn right so eventually you can beat good players.

We are losing now in order to learn and become better? That is some positive thinking, I'll give you that. We are losing now because the team is not very good, and they are playing the wrong kind of game.

4) I don't think LB is trying to change a whole team of players. This team has no identity or style he's not changing the style he's trying to put one in place.

LB is implementing the wrong style/identity. The players abilities dictate the style, you don't try to cram them into the one you like best.

To me Curry and Marbs both seem more comfortable in the half court game.

Curry you may be right about because he does not like to run due to his conditioning. Half-court is also the domain of the huge center. I don't see where you extrapolated that Marbury is better or more comfortable in the half-court from. He has run plenty in his career and have you seen him finish on the break?

I don't see any reason to think Frye is more productive in a running game and those are the players management is building around.

With the long arms and athletic ability of Frye, Lee, and Ariza they could anchor a wonderful pressing defense, with Curry/James/AD at the back ready to take on anyone that dare drive the basket. NR, JC, and Marbury can pressure the ball to force errors. JC in particular is good at stripping dribblers. I'll bet NR would give ball-handlers fits if allowed to press.

Offensively it would benefit Lee and Ariza by taking advantage of their athletic ability to finish. Or perhaps Curry trails for the monter jam or putback. Frye, JC, and Marbury are quite good finishers as well. Should the driving opportunity not be there, there can be a secondary break for trailers, frequently Frye or Q who are both good shooters.

If none of that works, set up the dismal half-court play that has led the Knicks to their worst record in 20 years!

(and all the athletes are bad decision makers - and I reiterate that making decisions at high speed only makes the problem worse)

I don't follow you. How does it get worse? Why would it get worse? They might be running, but decisions are made in the same split second in half-court play. Either way, A turnover is a turnover, a miss is a miss.

Transition ball has very few rules. If you know a couple of simple principles it is easy and effective. The advantage is to the offense especially when defensive players are backing up. Transition basketball is much stronger FGP-wise than half-court ball.

In fact, memorizing 20 half-court plays is much harder than understanding how to fill a lane, or how to attract a defensive player and passing off, or kicking it back out for an open jumper.

And when half-court plays break this group is left senseless.

Certain groups of players are more suited to different styles of play. Being that this team is not highly skilled in the front court, is not very good at shooting, but very athletic and quick with guards who can put defensive players on their heels, I think transition ball should be played when possible.

You seem to be under the impression that they are better suited to the half-court game. I don't see that. And I think the record is bearing out my view. Why not see if they can run, and then we will know for sure?

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 01-02-2006 04:07 AM]
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
1/2/2006  3:07 PM
Posted by OldFan:
Posted by Bonn1997:

The Knicks have the rebounding part down well. They've outrebounded their opponents by 119 boards (4.3 per game) this year. Most people don't realize rebounding is one of the few very bright spots for the team this year. The defense is terrible, though, obviously. The team's not gonna be able to run much giving up this many points.

Look at their Defensive rebounding - it's average at best. They're strength rebounding is on the Offensive boards.

The Knicks have grabbed 32 more defensive rebounds than their opponents have despite having 72 fewer opportunities for defensive rebounds than their opponents. The Knicks have many weaknesses but all aspects of rebounding are actually a strength of this team.
OldFan
1/2/2006  8:54 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by OldFan:
Posted by Bonn1997:

The Knicks have the rebounding part down well. They've outrebounded their opponents by 119 boards (4.3 per game) this year. Most people don't realize rebounding is one of the few very bright spots for the team this year. The defense is terrible, though, obviously. The team's not gonna be able to run much giving up this many points.

Look at their Defensive rebounding - it's average at best. They're strength rebounding is on the Offensive boards.

The Knicks have grabbed 32 more defensive rebounds than their opponents have despite having 72 fewer opportunities for defensive rebounds than their opponents. The Knicks have many weaknesses but all aspects of rebounding are actually a strength of this team.

Bad use of statistics. They grab more defense rebounds then their opponents because they limit their opponents defense rebounding by being a good Offense rebounding team.

Their defensive rebounding percentage is 72.7 the median in the league right now is 72.5 - to me that is so-so.
OldFan
1/2/2006  9:33 PM
Posted by oohah:

Such as?

Passing ability, Decision making.

The problem with this team is not "learning". The team is not very good plain and simple.

So there is no reason they are bad. There is no possibility they can learn to play better?

I don't think it is learning half-court or full court. These guys have been playing all their lives. Malik Rose and Antonio Davis have played plenty and they know how to play half-court. Marbury knows how to play half-court. The only players I think need to learn how to play a system are Ariza because of his inexperience and possibly Crawford because he does not learn quick.

So Woods, Frye, Lee, Curry, Nate etc - all know everything there is to know and know how the best ways to maximize each others skills. Yes they are very knowledgeable about basketball compared to you and me - but they are playing against players that have also played all their lives. Relative to other NBA players they are low on the learning curve.

What is holding this team back is not the learning of a system. They are not very good and they are playing a style unsuited to their abilities.

I disagree that we have a clear indication of what style best suits them

We are losing now in order to learn and become better? That is some positive thinking, I'll give you that. We are losing now because the team is not very good, and they are playing the wrong kind of game.

We are losing like you say because we're not very good. My point is you can sometimes take short cuts that will make you a little better but limit your long-term growth. I think LBs style it to make the big changes even if it hurts in the short-term.

4) I don't think LB is trying to change a whole team of players. This team has no identity or style he's not changing the style he's trying to put one in place.

LB is implementing the wrong style/identity. The players abilities dictate the style, you don't try to cram them into the one you like best.

Most of these players have never been successful with any system and certainly not playing with each other. LB is trying to figure out what works.
To me Curry and Marbs both seem more comfortable in the half court game.

Curry you may be right about because he does not like to run due to his conditioning. Half-court is also the domain of the huge center. I don't see where you extrapolated that Marbury is better or more comfortable in the half-court from. He has run plenty in his career and have you seen him finish on the break?

My observation and that of most posters on this board that I have read is that Marbs does not advance the ball quickly and slows the offense down by holding the ball too much. These are not the qualities that suit a running point guard. I do agree he has the physical ability and many of the skills to run - but I haven't seen the mind set.
I don't see any reason to think Frye is more productive in a running game and those are the players management is building around.

With the long arms and athletic ability of Frye, Lee, and Ariza they could anchor a wonderful pressing defense, with Curry/James/AD at the back ready to take on anyone that dare drive the basket. NR, JC, and Marbury can pressure the ball to force errors. JC in particular is good at stripping dribblers. I'll bet NR would give ball-handlers fits if allowed to press.

And what team that used the pressing defense as more then a seldomly used change of pace have you seen succeed? This is not meant to be sarcastic I just can't remember a team then has successfully usinh the press on a regular basis particularly in the post season. The press is also another "Team skill" to learn it is not a matter of people just covering people further up court. It needs to be coordinated and practiced - at this point the practice time could be better spent. THough I have no objection to implementing in the future when the team has learned the basics of defense.
Offensively it would benefit Lee and Ariza by taking advantage of their athletic ability to finish. Or perhaps Curry trails for the monter jam or putback. Frye, JC, and Marbury are quite good finishers as well. Should the driving opportunity not be there, there can be a secondary break for trailers, frequently Frye or Q who are both good shooters.

This point I agree with fully. The athletes are good finishers. My concern is that I don't think Craw, Nate, Lee, or Q the guards who will be controlling the ball will do a good job running the break

If none of that works, set up the dismal half-court play that has led the Knicks to their worst record in 20 years!

(and all the athletes are bad decision makers - and I reiterate that making decisions at high speed only makes the problem worse)

I don't follow you. How does it get worse? Why would it get worse? They might be running, but decisions are made in the same split second in half-court play. Either way, A turnover is a turnover, a miss is a miss.

Transition ball has very few rules. If you know a couple of simple principles it is easy and effective. The advantage is to the offense especially when defensive players are backing up. Transition basketball is much stronger FGP-wise than half-court ball.

In fact, memorizing 20 half-court plays is much harder than understanding how to fill a lane, or how to attract a defensive player and passing off, or kicking it back out for an open jumper.

And when half-court plays break this group is left senseless.

Transition ball requires quicker decisions I've always found both playing and observing. I think you are correct it leads to more scoring opportunities but mistakes in transition lead to more opportunites for the opposition also.

Certain groups of players are more suited to different styles of play. Being that this team is not highly skilled in the front court, is not very good at shooting, but very athletic and quick with guards who can put defensive players on their heels, I think transition ball should be played when possible.

To me the key is to get this team playing cohesively on defense and offense, making good decisions with the ball and having good shot selection.

To me the key is to get this team playing cohesively on defense and offense, making good decisions with the ball and having good shot selection.

You seem to be under the impression that they are better suited to the half-court game. I don't see that. And I think the record is bearing out my view. Why not see if they can run, and then we will know for sure?

oohah

The record is bearing out that the team is not very good. To me it bears out also that the team needs to learn. I don't know how else they can improve - besides getting new players.

I see the better approach as concentrating on the basics of taking care of the ball, good shot selection and Team defense. I think our big disconnect is that I think it is easier to learn the basics first in the half-court game - then decide if you want or need to run.

Our second disagreement is perhaps that I place more trust in LB then you do. This maybe partially because I didn't expect this team to get off to a good start so perhaps am not as disappointed by their current play.

Either way I've enjoyed the interaction. And no matter what style works - I hope we agree we are both hoping they start improving soon.

[Edited by - oldfan on 01-02-2006 9:41 PM]
oohah
1/2/2006  10:42 PM
Passing ability, Decision making.

This is harming the half-court game just as much. Look at tonight's game. When they play half-court they are disoriented, inefficient, and end up with one broken play after another which deteriorates into one-on-one against the shot clock.

When playing a transition style, their play was much smoother, more inspired, etc. and the decision-making was much better during that time as well. The energy carried over into their half-court play during that time too.

The difference is the Knick's players have a much stronger ability to make plays on both offense and defense when they play a faster tempo.

So there is no reason they are bad. There is no possibility they can learn to play better?

That is not what I am saying at all. If they play more uptempo they WILL play much better, even when they do need to settle down and play half-court. Just like tonight against the Suns. They were much better when they played fast. More entertaining too. They seemed to enjoy it and come together more as a team as well.

So Woods, Frye, Lee, Curry, Nate etc - all know everything there is to know and know how the best ways to maximize each others skills. Yes they are very knowledgeable about basketball compared to you and me - but they are playing against players that have also played all their lives. Relative to other NBA players they are low on the learning curve.

I did not say that. My point is that this ain't rocket science. They most likely already know how to play a transition style, and they ain't strangers to half-court either. They are just better at transition basketball. Why? Because it suits their abilities.

I disagree that we have a clear indication of what style best suits them

Okay. I think looking at the players is evidence enough. I think it will become more clear as they play more transition.

We are losing like you say because we're not very good. My point is you can sometimes take short cuts that will make you a little better but limit your long-term growth. I think LBs style it to make the big changes even if it hurts in the short-term.

What short cut? I don't subscribe to the school of thought that half-court is "The Way to Play" and running is a gimmicky short cut. I think that is rhetoric. (I am not saying you are engaging in rhetoric, but I hear this stuff so often.) It is all decided by your personnel. The championship teams do both very well.

Most of these players have never been successful with any system and certainly not playing with each other. LB is trying to figure out what works.

I could have saved him about 25 games of dabbling. What works is playing a style that suits your player's abilities.

My observation and that of most posters on this board that I have read is that Marbs does not advance the ball quickly and slows the offense down by holding the ball too much.

Because the offense is too structured for his style of play and it restricts his abilities. I really don't worry about what other people say anyway.

These are not the qualities that suit a running point guard.

This is not nearly as much of a problem when he runs.

I do agree he has the physical ability and many of the skills to run - but I haven't seen the mind set.

You've seen the mind-set for him to be successful in the half-court? I haven't.

And what team that used the pressing defense as more then a seldomly used change of pace have you seen succeed? This is not meant to be sarcastic I just can't remember a team then has successfully usinh the press on a regular basis particularly in the post season. The press is also another "Team skill" to learn it is not a matter of people just covering people further up court. It needs to be coordinated and practiced - at this point the practice time could be better spent. THough I have no objection to implementing in the future when the team has learned the basics of defense.

The point is not to press all game a la the runnin' rebels. It is to pressure the ball a lot more, meaning when it is appropriate. The 80's Celtics pressed plenty, as did the Lakers, and the Bulls pressed quite well too. Not all the time, but when the time was right.

This point I agree with fully. The athletes are good finishers. My concern is that I don't think Craw, Nate, Lee, or Q the guards who will be controlling the ball will do a good job running the break

All I can say is that in my observation, they are far worse at running a half-court game. And when the pace is fast, the guards' ability to break down defensive players opens it up for the athletes and the shooters to do their thing.

Transition ball requires quicker decisions I've always found both playing and observing. I think you are correct it leads to more scoring opportunities but mistakes in transition lead to more opportunites for the opposition also.

In transition the play develops while you run downcourt and the right play is fairly obvious and instinctual. In half-court if you miss a cut/cutter etc. the whole thing dies and we have JC for a bad fallaway.

I believe they will do this better if they pick up the pace.

The record is bearing out that the team is not very good. To me it bears out also that the team needs to learn. I don't know how else they can improve - besides getting new players.

That is what will happen, we will add/drop some players. I think the whole LB is 'teaching' is overblown and more of an excuse than anything.

I see the better approach as concentrating on the basics of taking care of the ball, good shot selection and Team defense. I think our big disconnect is that I think it is easier to learn the basics first in the half-court game - then decide if you want or need to run.

I don't see how concentrating on the things you mentioned exclude playing transition ball. They should already know the basics, with maybe the exception of Ariza. Like I wrote above I find the whole teaching/learning bit to be an excuse for inexcusably poor play.

Our second disagreement is perhaps that I place more trust in LB then you do. This maybe partially because I didn't expect this team to get off to a good start so perhaps am not as disappointed by their current play.

I trusted him until I saw him doing stuff that was nuts (Starting Rose., etc.), and not doing things that are plain as day (Make proper use of athletic players, especially when they are not particularly skilled.) I think the "Larry has a Grand Plan" school of thought is slightly naive, he is searching for anything at this point. Maybe transition play will finally come up in the queu.

Either way I've enjoyed the interaction. And no matter what style works - I hope we agree we are both hoping they start improving soon.

I enjoyed it too and I do hope they improve as well.

oohah

Why running isn't the answer.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy