Author Thread
ClydeDaGlide
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #275
USA
7/18/2002  10:16 AM
Posted by knicksbb10:
Posted by Andrew:

I thought that Detroit was happy with Stack and his progress this year...less shots and selfish behavior. Why would Detroit want to remesh players after a successfull season?

Agreed knicksbabyyeah, it sounds like a Vescey rumor.
No it wasn't vescey, it was David Aldridge from espn. He said Ny and Detroit has agreed on the deal but waiting for Minnesota's response. The trade would involve other players for it to happen. Wally shot over 50% this year and made the all-star team. He is a natural small forward 6'7 244pds and only 24yrs of age..

Too bad he mad the All-star team as a SG rather than a SF...Just what we need, another 6'6"+ guy who plays the perimeter...
I came here to drink beer and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer...
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
7/18/2002  10:30 AM
To top it all, Wally made the ALLSTAR as a coach's vote, in a conference where there aren't many top notch SG's.

The more I look at it, how about a straight up trade between Detroit and New York?

Stack + Clifford Robinson for Spree + Othella?

(didn't Cliffy get busted for doing a spliffy?)

Stack + Rodney White + Clifford Robinson for Spree + KT?

Hell I'd do that in a ny minute.

sidenote: Pleasing to read that the NYK reached out to Jarron Collins, would be great if the Knicks got a promising young fc.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
7/18/2002  10:47 AM
smokescreen or the truth, latest found on hoopsworld...
NOT TRUE

Several outlets picked up a story floating around which suggested the Pistons - Knicks – Wolves were pondering a three way deal involving Latrell Sprewell, Wally Szczerbiak and Jerry Stackhouse. Pistons’ president Joe Dumars told reporters there was zero truth to the deal, and he was NOT moving Jerry Stackhouse saying to media "That deal there, that three-way deal they are talking about, that's not going to happen... It's not like Minnesota and New York called me and made that offer. It's like Ernie Grunfeld said the other day, if you have a guy like Stack or Sprewell, people are going to call on them and you may get to talking about them and then stuff gets out... If I wanted to make a deal, I could make a deal. But I haven't. If there was a deal to be done, I would have done it already... I tell you, if Stackhouse thought any of these things were legitimate, he would have called me… And I haven't heard a word from him. I have had many more calls about Jon Barry and Ben Wallace, but their names never get out there. It's always Stack. And this won't be the end of it. It's just his name is so big."
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/18/2002  11:41 AM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

smokescreen or the truth, latest found on hoopsworld...
NOT TRUE

Several outlets picked up a story floating around which suggested the Pistons - Knicks – Wolves were pondering a three way deal involving Latrell Sprewell, Wally Szczerbiak and Jerry Stackhouse. Pistons’ president Joe Dumars told reporters there was zero truth to the deal, and he was NOT moving Jerry Stackhouse saying to media "That deal there, that three-way deal they are talking about, that's not going to happen... It's not like Minnesota and New York called me and made that offer. It's like Ernie Grunfeld said the other day, if you have a guy like Stack or Sprewell, people are going to call on them and you may get to talking about them and then stuff gets out... If I wanted to make a deal, I could make a deal. But I haven't. If there was a deal to be done, I would have done it already... I tell you, if Stackhouse thought any of these things were legitimate, he would have called me… And I haven't heard a word from him. I have had many more calls about Jon Barry and Ben Wallace, but their names never get out there. It's always Stack. And this won't be the end of it. It's just his name is so big."

I am thinking that this whole 3-way is a big smoke screen. Why would Detroit trade Stack after he did such a good job last year? Stack was much better than Spree was and he is a lot younger.

And the salaries don't match. Minnaesota would have to give up Wally and another significant salary - it would be too much.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
ClydeDaGlide
Member: #275
USA
7/18/2002  11:54 AM
Yeah, this is definitely not true. Stack was far better than either Spree or Szczerbiak last year...btw, whats the deal with the sixers and drafting top guards? Stack, Iverson, Hughes...they do a really good job of scouting talent...
I came here to drink beer and kick some ass, and we're almost out of beer...
NYKNICKS34
Member: #292
7/18/2002  11:56 AM
The trade rumor isn't true go to hoopsworld.com and go to today's rumor mill and the article "not true" is about the rumor. And it says that Joe Dumars isn't trading Stack and didn't hear of the trade.

[Edited by - NYKNICKS34 on 07/18/2002 12:31:51]
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
7/18/2002  12:58 PM
So the real question is - What's the smokescreen for? Are they trying to boost Spree's value by suggesting the Stack trade in order to facilitate another one next? Now that we know Scotty's tactics, we should expect a Marbury trade out of left field...
"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
7/18/2002  1:14 PM
Posted by knixphan:

Are they trying to boost Spree's value by suggesting the Stack trade in order to facilitate another one next?

I wouldn't be surprised it this were true.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
7/18/2002  1:33 PM
No (the trade is not gonna happen), and THANK GOD it's not. Too many people got caught up in that rumor. You're a smart one for asking before believing. Here's a link that should kill the hooplah:

http://www.detroitnews.com/2002/pistons/0207/18/f06-540287.htm

Can we move on now???
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
nwny
Member: #284
7/18/2002  6:43 PM
Wally is a good jump shooter, that’s as good as he’s going to get (which is not as good as Spree is now). We don’t need two guys roaming the perimeter that can’t defend (Wally and Houston). At the SF spot we need a penetrater. Oh wait, we already have that. His name is Latrell Sprewell. The only way I do this deal is if we get Stack, and Detroit would never go for that.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
7/20/2002  1:09 AM
Posted by nwny:

Wally is a good jump shooter, that’s as good as he’s going to get (which is not as good as Spree is now). We don’t need two guys roaming the perimeter that can’t defend (Wally and Houston). At the SF spot we need a penetrater. Oh wait, we already have that. His name is Latrell Sprewell.

Absolutely right. I said the same thing in another thread. This needs to be repeated as often as the need arises, to remind the quick forgetters...

Better yet, put him in his natural position...
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
3-way rumor

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy