[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks hopes for the future?
Author Thread
scylla
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #97
8/17/2001  1:42 PM
Can anyone see a reason for Knicks fans to be optimistic about the forseeable future? Really, IÕm not trying to be glib; IÕd love to hear reasons to believe (not including the classic knee-jerk "because THEY ROOL, BABY, YEAH!!!"). ItÕs just that management seems to be stuck in this cycle of trying to rebuild while simultaneously putting on just enough of a show to placate the casual fan, keeping us somewhere between the lottery and the second round. This is not to say it isnt a good team; fans in places like Golden State, NJ, and soon, Memphis, will have little sympathy for us, and rightfully so. ItÕs just that thereÕs not much possibility of the Knicks getting out of the East at present, and absolutely no chance of them competing with LA in a seven-game series (I know, who does?). At the same time, this philosophy rules out drafting and developing young talent, the last significant example of which being Ewing. Granted, that involved some luck and/or shenanigans with the ping-pong balls, but still. The Knicks are stifling the natural ebb-and-flow of any given sports franchise: load up, develop, compete, and then go back to the beginning. The current free-agent climate makes it obvious that all the pre-Salary Cap rhetoric about dreaming of playing in ÔThe Mecca of BasketballÕ was just that; now that the playing field is somewhat level, big-name free agents seem to see NY as high-pressure, low-class (EwingÕs ugly departure didnÕt go unnoticed, IÕm sure), and, well, no Orlando. Soon weÕll be another Chicago, with players using us to scare their real first choice into ponying up. ItÕll work, too, because everyone knows by now that weÕre more than happy to lavish starting moneyÑplus luxury tax, mind youÑon players that may not even make the rotation, let alone be a back-up (Clarence Weatherspoon, IÕm looking at youÉ). There are no trade scenarios that amount to anything more than idle shuffling, at least not without another freakish Sprewell-for-Starks type situation falling into our laps. This is borne out by the humiliating man-handling weÕre enduring by Les AlexanderÑyou have to worry about the kind of precedent this sets at a time weÕre trying to unload our arthritic, mediocre-on-his-best-day, Jew-baiting PG. Anyway, IÕm rambling. I would honestly love to hear an argument for why we, as Knicks fans, might realistically expect to be in contention for a title anytime soon. Again, itÕs a good team on the right night, but as far as I can see, thatÕs the best we can hope for the next 4 or 5 years. By the way, this site has gone further than any other to fill the post-Sportstalk vacuumÑwhoever puts it together, nice job.
AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
Member: #41
8/17/2001  3:44 PM
Posted by scylla:

Can anyone see a reason for Knicks fans to be optimistic about the forseeable future? Really, IÕm not trying to be glib; IÕd love to hear reasons to believe (not including the classic knee-jerk "because THEY ROOL, BABY, YEAH!!!"). ItÕs just that management seems to be stuck in this cycle of trying to rebuild while simultaneously putting on just enough of a show to placate the casual fan, keeping us somewhere between the lottery and the second round. This is not to say it isnt a good team; fans in places like Golden State, NJ, and soon, Memphis, will have little sympathy for us, and rightfully so. ItÕs just that thereÕs not much possibility of the Knicks getting out of the East at present, and absolutely no chance of them competing with LA in a seven-game series (I know, who does?). At the same time, this philosophy rules out drafting and developing young talent, the last significant example of which being Ewing. Granted, that involved some luck and/or shenanigans with the ping-pong balls, but still. The Knicks are stifling the natural ebb-and-flow of any given sports franchise: load up, develop, compete, and then go back to the beginning. The current free-agent climate makes it obvious that all the pre-Salary Cap rhetoric about dreaming of playing in ÔThe Mecca of BasketballÕ was just that; now that the playing field is somewhat level, big-name free agents seem to see NY as high-pressure, low-class (EwingÕs ugly departure didnÕt go unnoticed, IÕm sure), and, well, no Orlando. Soon weÕll be another Chicago, with players using us to scare their real first choice into ponying up. ItÕll work, too, because everyone knows by now that weÕre more than happy to lavish starting moneyÑplus luxury tax, mind youÑon players that may not even make the rotation, let alone be a back-up (Clarence Weatherspoon, IÕm looking at youÉ). There are no trade scenarios that amount to anything more than idle shuffling, at least not without another freakish Sprewell-for-Starks type situation falling into our laps. This is borne out by the humiliating man-handling weÕre enduring by Les AlexanderÑyou have to worry about the kind of precedent this sets at a time weÕre trying to unload our arthritic, mediocre-on-his-best-day, Jew-baiting PG. Anyway, IÕm rambling. I would honestly love to hear an argument for why we, as Knicks fans, might realistically expect to be in contention for a title anytime soon. Again, itÕs a good team on the right night, but as far as I can see, thatÕs the best we can hope for the next 4 or 5 years. By the way, this site has gone further than any other to fill the post-Sportstalk vacuumÑwhoever puts it together, nice job.
The force is strong with you, my son.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/22/2001  10:19 AM
scylla, The Force may be with you, but so is a whole lot of pessimism. Too much.
It's just that management seems to be stuck in this cycle of trying to rebuild while simultaneously putting on just enough of a show to placate the casual fan, keeping us somewhere between the lottery and the second round.

I can't believe you really believe the Knicks are bouncing from lottery to the second round. Outside of last years' off-court distractions, when was the team last not into the second round, no less in the lottery? Didn't JVG have one of the longest runs into at least the second round of the playoffs?

NYC is the Mecca of Basketball and the Garden a hub of that action. To charge ticket prices as they do - hey, this is a business after all - you must put on a show, or at least put out enough smoke and mirrors to seem like it's a show. Maybe if you are in Boston or New Jersey you can get away with a few years of less-than-mediocre play, but in LA and NY, you gotta try to reload as fast as possible; that means just-above-average players getting signed to longer-than-deserved contracts and almost no nurturing of young players (see Doug Christie, etc. - I just hope the best for Postel). This also means that the NYKs will almost always pay the luxury tax. Get used to it. I don't think it really hurts the team directly, just the bottom line of the Garden (but at $5M a playoff game - wait, is that the number or is it $1M? - 7 games into the second round cleans the slate).
I would honestly love to hear an argument for why we, as Knicks fans, might realistically expect to be in contention for a title anytime soon.

The East is weak. Very weak. Toronto taking the 76ers to seven games? The Sixers without their starting power forward? I keep thinking back to '98, and with a healthy team going into the playoffs and no outside distractions, the Knicks have a good a chance as anyone. Miami, Orlando, Milwalkee, Charlotte? They are all about equal. The Knicks have a chance, oh yes they do.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
boxout
Member: #18
8/22/2001  10:53 AM
Of all the teams that follow your suggested model, which ones have realistic chance of competing with the Lakers in a 7 game series? The Knicks have done a good remaining consistently competitive for several years. The teams who have made it to the lottery and have decided to rebuild have not. Only San Antonio was able to pull of the Duncan miracle which netted them one title. Only one team can win a title each year. At least the Knicks are always in contention while other teams are always in the lottery.
Knicks hopes for the future?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy