lb: "let the young kids play" (article)
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/13/2005  11:27 PM
Brown Stops Juggling and Settles on a Lineup
By HOWARD BECK

GREENBURGH, N.Y., Dec. 13 - Larry Brown has tinkered and tweaked, pushed and prodded and given 16 players a chance to make the Knicks something better than substandard. The result has been six victories in 20 games, so Brown is preparing a new template.

Starting Wednesday night against the Orlando Magic, the lineup will be stable, the rotation shorter and the commitment almost entirely to youth. At least, that is what Brown declared Tuesday. He has changed his mind before.

A 20-point rout by the Milwaukee Bucks on Monday at Madison Square Garden has put the Knicks in soul-searching mode and prompted Brown, who has used 14 starting lineups, to rethink his methodology.

There will probably be a 15th lineup Wednesday, but this one should stick. The guards will be Stephon Marbury and Quentin Richardson, joining Channing Frye at power forward and Eddy Curry at center. Brown did not specify who will be his small forward, but he indicated it would probably be Trevor Ariza.

"I just think now I'm going to try to settle on a lineup a little bit more, settle on a rotation a little bit more and then hope by doing that, we see a little better continuity on both ends," Brown said.

Continuity has eluded the Knicks since opening night. Three of their off-season acquisitions - Curry, Richardson and Jerome James - have been injured and out of shape. Two veterans, Antonio Davis and Penny Hardaway, are breaking down. Brown used the openings to give playing time to the rookies Frye and Nate Robinson and to experiment with roles.

"I've got a better feel of who should play together after watching," Brown said.

He intends to cut the rotation to 9 or 10 players - four guards, two small forwards and three to four big men - nearly all of whom will be under age 30.

The biggest change will come at small forward, where it appears Brown is committing to his youngest options, Ariza and the newly signed Qyntel Woods.

"Right now, it'd be Trevor and Qyntel," Brown said. "Let the young kids play."

Matt Barnes opened the season at small forward but was injured. He was cut last week to make room for Woods. Brown has also used Richardson, Malik Rose and David Lee, none of whom are natural small forwards.

Brown sounded enthusiastic about Woods, a 24-year-old former first-round pick, who was unemployed until last week. Woods played six minutes in his debut Monday, scoring on a dunk and a 3-pointer.

"I don't think he's in real good shape, and I think he doesn't know exactly what we're trying to do, but I love his athleticism," said Brown, who later added, "But I don't think it's going to happen overnight for him.

Brown said that he loved Ariza's heart, but "it's hard, he's not ready, in my mind, to be a starter in this league, but he comes to practice every day, he's getting better every day."

Brown also concluded that Richardson should not be a full-time small forward, and that Robinson and Jamal Crawford are best coming off the bench.

But the overriding, if unstated message, was this: The Knicks are fully committed to their youth movement, even at the expense of short-term success. On Monday, they sent Hardaway and Davis to the inactive list and dropped Rose from the rotation. Two other veterans, Maurice Taylor and James, each played only seven minutes, while 20-year-old Jackie Butler played 10 minutes.

It would not be surprising if the Knicks' next move was to activate Lee, the only rookie who has yet to make an impact.

Everything would change, however, if the Knicks can make a deal for Ron Artest, Indiana's disgruntled star forward, but that appears unlikely. The Knicks have quietly made it known that they will not part with Frye, their best prospect, and they have yet to make the Pacers an offer.

After the rout by the Bucks, Brown was hard on nearly everyone. He criticized Robinson's defense on T. J. Ford and called out all of his point guards for poor decision-making. He ripped his entire team for being lackadaisical and soft. He wondered why no one seemed to grasp how to make an entry pass to the post. He bemoaned the inexperience of Curry, Frye and Robinson.

So with a quarter of the season gone, and the Knicks looking like a long shot for the playoffs, Brown is changing his role, too - a little less mad professor, a little more remedial basketball teacher.

"Today was like training camp," Brown said. "We are trying to teach them how to screen, how to block out, how to pass the game. We called it a passing game, but still, the first thing guys want to do is dribble the ball instead of hitting the first open man. We've got to drill it and drill it and drill it."

REBOUNDS

While the Indiana Pacers field trade offers for Ron Artest, the Knicks continue to monitor the situation from a distance. "I've heard from 15 or 16 teams, but the Knicks were not one of them," said Donnie Walsh, the Pacers' chief executive. "There were some offers that were interesting." ...Penny Hardaway was scheduled to have tests on his right knee, which has tendinitis, and his left quadriceps Tuesday. ...Orlando's Grant Hill will make his season debut Wednesday, six weeks after having surgery for a sports hernia. The Magic has gone 8-11 without Hill.

Liz Robbins contributed reporting for this article.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 12-13-2005 11:32 PM]
AUTOADVERT
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/13/2005  11:46 PM
praise the lord, we are going with the young guys, I say let it roll, who knows, we gel, get better and the 8th seed is within our grasp. I love this move..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Knight
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #968
12/13/2005  11:57 PM
I'm glad LB and IT see that our vets aren't capable of leading us to the playoffs and are now fully committed developing our young guys. I wonder where this leaves our star point guard.
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
12/14/2005  12:00 AM
So activate Lee too. Let him get out there and contribute, so long as the youth movement is on.
https:// It's not so hard.
PhilinLA
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #696
12/14/2005  12:08 AM
The season's about to get fun.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
tkf
Member: #87
12/14/2005  12:09 AM
Posted by Knight:

I'm glad LB and IT see that our vets aren't capable of leading us to the playoffs and are now fully committed developing our young guys. I wonder where this leaves our star point guard.

without any more excuses... honestly I like steph a lot, but I think LB wants him gone, I don't know when, but there will be a DNP coaches decision for marbury and all hell will break lose, LB gave steph 20games to try and adapt to his style, steph reluctantly tried it seemed, you can just tell he isn't buying into being a team first player. LB demands that he is... Lb will get his way, and steph will be somewhere else I assume...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Knight
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #968
12/14/2005  12:12 AM
Posted by tkf:
Posted by Knight:

without any more excuses... honestly I like steph a lot, but I think LB wants him gone, I don't know when, but there will be a DNP coaches decision for marbury and all hell will break lose, LB gave steph 20games to try and adapt to his style, steph reluctantly tried it seemed, you can just tell he isn't buying into being a team first player. LB demands that he is... Lb will get his way, and steph will be somewhere else I assume...

It's best for Steph to move on anyway, why would he even want to be part of this new "training camp" Larry is giving to the young guys--yes, he could benefit from it but let's be real, Steph has to hate it.

[Edited by - Knight on 12-14-2005 12:13 AM]
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
12/14/2005  12:14 AM
Free David Lee! and also I wonder if this means that zeke will try to reduce salary around here. i doubt it .
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
12/14/2005  12:16 AM
FINALLY!
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
12/14/2005  12:25 AM
Posted by SlimPack:

Free David Lee! and also I wonder if this means that zeke will try to reduce salary around here. i doubt it .

I hope if Zeke can't get a clear cut starter at SG/SF with the expiring deals, he lets them just walk away.

¿ △ ?
Rich
Member: #511
USA
12/14/2005  12:27 AM
Next step: trade the expiring contracts.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
12/14/2005  12:33 AM
I think Bip said it best:

It will be fun, but it will be even MORE frustrating, b/c you're going to be seeing more rookie mistakes and maybe even poorer defense. Maybe they should keep Malik in the rotation or something, just so the guys can have an eye on how they should be playing, but other than that, lets see what Brown wants to do.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Rich
USA
12/14/2005  12:39 AM
If Rose is in the rotation, he has to promise not to shoot the ball.
TymeLessKnicks
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1050
Sweden
12/14/2005  12:41 AM
i feel bad for steph...how is he gonna feel when an nterviewer asks him 'why did the ny knicks trade you?'....so sad
Had enough Melo?
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
12/14/2005  12:42 AM
I don't mind if he shoots sometimes. He can put the ball in the hoop at certain moments. It depends on who is guarding him though. He can hit the open baseline J, rebound the ball, play some hard D and occasionally drive to the hoop. But maybe he's good for ohhhh, 5 shots a game or so.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TymeLessKnicks
Sweden
12/14/2005  12:52 AM
I don't mind if he shoots sometimes. He can put the ball in the hoop at certain moments. It depends on who is guarding him though. He can hit the open baseline J, rebound the ball, play some hard D and occasionally drive to the hoop. But maybe he's good for ohhhh, 5 shots a game or so.

marbury is playing for the foul when he drives to the lane. he look slike he doesnt relly try to actually finish the shot, like he used to do. he no longer gets the calls so he gets mad and wilds out even more. if he looks at iverson and wade...they look to finish every drive to the hole...seems like he forgets that if u make a few then they will try harder to not let him get in anymore and more than likely foul him.
Had enough Melo?
TymeLessKnicks
Sweden
12/14/2005  12:53 AM
BASKETBALL IS SIMPLE!!!!!
Had enough Melo?
NotFrye
Member: #935
12/14/2005  1:01 AM
the funniest would be if we traded Marbury for his friend Keith Van Horn . I want the guy to have a shot at contention on a good team, so hopefully a trade works out for both parties, or just for the organization.
PhilinLA
Member: #696
12/14/2005  1:11 AM
I don't think we're trading Marbury.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
Rich
USA
12/14/2005  1:15 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1134538861136100.xml&coll=1&thispage=2

[...]

Trevor Ariza will also see minutes at the three-spot, but for now, will not break into the starting lineup.

"I love Trevor's heart," Brown said. "He's not ready, in my mind, to be a starter in this league. But he comes to practice every day, he gets better every day."
lb: "let the young kids play" (article)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy