[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

God I hate those Knick TV Promotions...
Author Thread
oohah
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #887
12/13/2005  5:57 PM
If you are like me, you cannot stand the cutesy promotions with cardboard cutouts of the Knicks players. They are annoying beyond belief. I think I would rather watch the Bob's furniture store commercials, at least Bob's isn't owned by a multi-billion dollar media organization who should know better!

If I hear Papito scream NATE ROBINSON again I might lose it. The promos aren't funny ("But your moms' like Seven foot yo.") And the music is monotonous, tedious, and unexciting. What the hell does a quiet snippet of a horn have to do with the pulse pounding action of the NBA? Why not be on the mark instead of trying to be cool? Why not show basketball being played in a basketball team promo?

I don't know if Spike Lee did the promos, but they sure look like he did. Spike hasn't learned a new trick since "Do the Right Thing", and honestly, the only movie he ever did that I liked was "She's Gotta Have it". What a douche, He has made a career out of being an egotistical, pompous, faux-intellectual, with absolutely no message.

Why not go to the old standby of uptempo music and a logo over some highlights? That I could watch.

That's my rant.

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 12-13-2005 6:01 PM]
Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
12/13/2005  6:00 PM
I agree. They were cute at first, but they're so annoying now. Funny thing is, I know like 5 different girls who think those ads are adorable. I'm guessing the ads are for casual fans and girlfriends of hardcore fans.
¿ △ ?
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
12/13/2005  6:01 PM
Actually I think they're funny.

Get a sense of humor pops.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
12/13/2005  6:03 PM
Yeah, at first I was just happy to see anything Knicks on TV when they first started, but now it's getting old
oohah
12/13/2005  6:06 PM
Actually I think they're funny.

Get a sense of humor pops.

I got a hell of a sense of humor, and I don't see anything funny about them at all.

You probably loved Biodome.

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 12-13-2005 6:13 PM]
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
12/13/2005  6:15 PM
^ Actually never seen it.

But now I'm gonna rent it just b/c you hate it.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
oohah
12/13/2005  6:19 PM
^ Actually never seen it.

Sure you haven't. Just look on the Pauly Shore shelf of your personal video collection.

oohah

islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
12/13/2005  6:29 PM
Those ads are stupid. There's nothing even remotely funny about them.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/13/2005  6:37 PM
I agree 100%. They're boring, send no message and looks like they put .05 into the production.

The problem is there is no Knick player they can market as well as the team in general. There is just nothing exciting to put up there, but they can do a he ll of a lot better than cut outs of Nate Robinson larry brown and a few un-employed stooges from the park walking around with tape measures.

And please do not show me that add with the two older gentlemen. Im sure they are nice guys and good fans, but vomit enters my mouth mid way through the spot.
RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
12/13/2005  6:58 PM
I hated every single one of them since the moment they aired. so boring and pointless!!
oohah
12/13/2005  7:14 PM
Those ads are stupid. There's nothing even remotely funny about them.

Exactamundo!

I agree 100%. They're boring, send no message and looks like they put .05 into the production.
The problem is there is no Knick player they can market as well as the team in general. There is just nothing exciting to put up there, but they can do a he ll of a lot better than cut outs of Nate Robinson larry brown and a few un-employed stooges from the park walking around with tape measures.

And please do not show me that add with the two older gentlemen. Im sure they are nice guys and good fans, but vomit enters my mouth mid way through the spot.

Right on!

Wow, I find myself in agreement with Islesfan, Briggs, and several other posters simultaneously! This is a first! C'mon everybody, let's go to hell and skate! (By the way, Hell is anywhere a Knicks fan was while watching the Knicks play last night.)

oohah

PresIke
Member: #33
USA
12/13/2005  7:35 PM
I'm in complete agreement about the promos. They are extrodinarily annoying, as is that "faux jazz" music that accompanies it.

As for your take on Spike Lee, oohah, can't say I am in agreement with you there by any stretch.
Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
McK1
Member: #964
12/13/2005  7:37 PM
don't think they're Spike's doing.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
MinsHeartsReezy
Member: #872
USA
12/13/2005  10:23 PM
But the one with the little kid with the backwards cap on dribbling the ball is just too too cute. The others...I can live without
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/13/2005  10:26 PM
Posted by MinsHeartsReezy:

But the one with the little kid with the backwards cap on dribbling the ball is just too too cute. The others...I can live without

you're right, that kid is cute.
RIP Crushalot😞
oohah
12/13/2005  11:16 PM
As for your take on Spike Lee, oohah, can't say I am in agreement with you there by any stretch.

Everybody is entitled to their opinion. Maybe he's done something interesting lately, I stopped watching after he butchered Malcom X.

don't think they're Spike's doing.

It sure looks like his style though...

oohah

[Edited by - oohah on 12-13-2005 11:29 PM]
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/13/2005  11:18 PM
spike lee has not made a good movie in over 15 years. yet he continues to direct movies, get his movies produced, and can afford 2 court-side seats. how?
oohah
12/13/2005  11:24 PM
spike lee has not made a good movie in over 15 years. yet he continues to direct movies, get his movies produced, and can afford 2 court-side seats. how?

Are you stating or asking?

oohah

joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
12/14/2005  7:26 AM
best line of the romos...

Spike talkin' to CardboardLarry "no more of this okie doke rooty toot...."
~You can't run from who you are.~
PresIke
Member: #33
USA
12/14/2005  9:36 AM
Posted by oohah:

Are you stating or asking?

oohah

If you are suggesting that 'Do the Right Thing' was his last "good" movie than I think you are in the minority. However, his films have not made a splash at the box office in some time so he has actually had some problems getting his movies produced (i.e. She Hate Me). I suspect that may be why he's going with a somewhat more "Hollywood" (mainstream) film for his next picture, 'Inside Man' about a bank robbery gone awry:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0454848/

which has a few big stars in it, like Clive Owen, Jodie Foster and includes the return of Denzel Washington to a Spike Lee movie. Spike was actually set to direct a movie called 'The Night Watchman' starring Keaneu Reeves, but dropped out as director to make 'Inside Man' instead.

I happen to think nearly all of his films are interesting in some way, but don't fit the typical Hollywood format of pure 'entertainment.' Spike takes a more artistic approach to film making, clearly believes sending a message in his work is important, and often his highly stylized direction does not work for the average film goer who likes Hollywood blockbusters.

His movies are more similar to foriegn film that does not appeal to most mainstream American film goers. 'She Hate Me,' while flawed, had some interesting ideas within it and kept my interest througout, '25th Hour' was a strong drama, where I liked the way he tied in some post-9/11 NYC issues into the story. 'Bamboozled' was one of the most ambitious, in-your-face, approaches to the kind of racism that exists in America today that we've seen in contemporary film. 'Summer of Sam,' which I didn't love upon first viewing, is one that grows on you (this was also the film which gave Adrian Brody serious attention, and a chance at other bigger roles) and 'He Got Game' was a very poignent take on the realities of the High School/College/NBA recruitment process.

I could go on forever, but his other films like, '4 Little Girls' (the documentary about 4 young black girls killed in the 1960's by racists who blew up a Birmingham, Alabama church) and 'Get on the Bus' are very worthwhile movies, and I'm surprised some of you don't like his 3 more mainstream films from before that, 'Clockers,' 'Crooklyn' and the long but powerful 'Malcom X' which I don't quite understand why oohah, thinks was "butchered" since it's pretty darn close to what was written in his Autobiography.

Of course, film taste is subjective, but there still are fans out there, like me, who check for Spike's work, and I frankly admire him for not pulling any punches when making movies, when most of Hollywood is not interested in really confronting contemporary issues without giving us a "happy ending." (Fortunately this year we saw a much stronger group of somewhat independent Hollywood films get made and do pretty well, i.e. 'The Constant Gardener,' 'Goodnight & Goodluck,' 'Syriana' & 'Brokeback Mountain' and to a lesser extent 'North Country' all of which focus on or relate to issues that we face in our world today with some grit). In terms of box office draw, Woody Allen's very recent films also have not done well in the U.S. (although I like most of them less, with some exceptions) but they sell in Europe (although his 2 new films with Scarlett Johansen may do better...'Match Point' was just nominated a Golden Globe for best drama, btw). America is not the only market in the world for movies, and some directors like Spike and Woody do better outside of the U.S.
Forum Po Po and #33 for a reason...
God I hate those Knick TV Promotions...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy