[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT - it's showtime or shut up (broussard)
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/12/2005  6:26 PM
It's Showtime Or Shut Up!
posted: Monday, December 12, 2005 | Feedback

It's champagne and confetti in mid-June or bust. One for the thumb (for Riley) or shame. An A-plus or an F.

There is no middle ground anymore for the Miami Heat, specifically for Pat Riley and Shaquille O'Neal.

I don't care if Detroit wins 75 games this season; Miami has to win it all. I don't care if San Antonio adds Ron Artest; the Heat must take the title.

A Game 7 loss in the EC Finals at The Palace might as well be a 10th place finish in the conference. A Game 7 loss at the Spurs' SBC Center might as well be a first-round sweep.

Something smells fishier than the kitchen at Red Lobster, and only South Beach's first hoop bling -- hand-delivered by Showtime and Shaq -- can erase the stench. Anything less, as Shaq would say, would be uncivilized, or better yet, make what seems to have happened to Stan Van Gundy uncivilized.

I hate to question the sincerity of this morning's press conference -- and I'm sure Van Gundy will enjoy spending more time with his family -- but if Stan isn't back coaching in the NBA within three years, I'll moonwalk to Miami's American Airlines Arena and sing Anita Baker's "I Apologize" in an orange Speedo before the Heat's 2008 home opener.

Not really, but you catch my drift.

Why do I say Pat and Shaq must win it all?

Because whether true or not, the perception is that they forced, pushed or nudged Stan out the door. If they win it all, folks will say it was worth it. If they don't, it will look like they (especially Riley) moved out a loyal and very capable coach for petty, ego-driven reasons, and worse, have nothing to show for it.

It now appears Riley and Shaq have what they want. Riley, who told me less than two weeks ago that he had no intention of coaching this season, has a championship-caliber team to lead, and Shaq has the coach he has sung the praises of since joining the Heat.

That's cool. I'm not mad at them. But now there are no excuses.

Riley is one of the greatest coaches of all time, but he hasn't won a title without Magic, Kareem and a top-notch supporting cast. His track record in Miami was far from glorious.

He had great regular seasons, no doubt, but the last four times he took the Heat to the playoffs, they were upset by lower seeds.

The Heat, with an ailing Shaq, were a D-Wade rib-cage injury away from going to the Finals last year, yet Riley revamped much of the roster. It's much more talented, but also more combustible.

Many executives around the league believe Riley put that roster together because it would take a man with his credibility to handle all of the egos. Whatever the case, Riley must win it all this season to live up to his reputation. No blaming the roster or anyone/thing else if he doesn't.

Shaq now has a coach who will make him the undisputed focal point of the offense, as well as one of the top perimeter players in the league, as well as a rejuvenated Zo, as well as a talented supporting cast. No blaming Riley, D-Wade or anyone else if he doesn't win the crown.

Apparently, Van Gundy thought he was under fire. But now, the heat is really on in Miami.

AUTOADVERT
OT - it's showtime or shut up (broussard)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy