Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
12/12/2005  3:39 PM
Posted by Knight:
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by Knight:
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by Knight:

^What makes you think Artest will stay on good behavior? He's going to be in NY around all his buddies and all the distractions, no way.

cant people mature? LB already has experience in dealing with malcontents.

You would think someone might mature after igniting the most frightening and embarrassing incident in NBA history and being suspended an entire season for it.

but i dont think what he is doing right now is that bad.. he wants to play somewhere else, hes a star player, he has leverage. its not like hes the first star player that has demanded to be traded midseason.

He just took a huge dump on this team and the Pacers organization out of the blue. This is the same team that supported him through everything last year.

i'm sure he appreciates it, but he said it himself. He wants a fresh start. You cant fault a guy for wanting to get away from bad memories.
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/12/2005  3:47 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by BRIGGS:

if i was isiah, i would drop everything that may be agreed to on the 15th - IF thats anything and really go after this artest thingee

oh hell yeah. I am drooling over the prospect of Artest in NY. Man, that would be the Tipping Point for the Knicks.

You're not at all worried about the fact that he said he'd retire if he won a championship? I know you can say "That's great; all I wanted was a championship" but it's scary if a guy in his prime at around 25 is contemplating retirement. I'd be tempted to give up anyone but Marbury, Frye, and Crawford for Artest, but that wouldn't leave much for any other deals. That would mean that that would be our one big deal of the year.
sisqo8
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1034

12/12/2005  3:47 PM
ok... this is what im gunna come with the man loves nyc its evident i think that will be enough for him to stay on good behavior and not be a distraction this is a case like rasheed i respect artest and think playing in his home city in front of fans that will tell him if he is doing the right or wrong thing makes a huge difference he wants to be hear if we get him hear i feel he will cherish the oppeirtunity to play here and try his hardest not to f*** it up i wouldent trade any of our youngs except ariza and/or lee for him also keep marbs outta the deal maybe a draft pick c what we can do tell me what you think
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
12/12/2005  3:52 PM
Posted by Knight:

^What makes you think Artest will stay on good behavior? He's going to be in NY around all his buddies and all the distractions, no way.

I think Ron will stay on good behavior becuase of $$$$. For a guy as good as he is and since he is just coming into his talent level, he can still make alot of money in the NBA but the only way he's going to get it is if he stays on good behavior and doesn't cause any major distractions. I think obviously with Ron there is always going to be a question of will the guy go off and I think every now and then something small might come up, like him getting suspended by the team for a game or two BUT you have to live with that.

I think Ron knows he hasn't made THAT much money(in NBA terms) and that if he wants his next contract to be good in 2008, then he HAS TO stay on his best behavior and I think if he's in NY he will also be surrounded by family who will be able to kind of keep him in check. I remember him and Isiah had a pretty good relationship as well, so I think Isiah will take him in and be the mentor.

[Edited by - nyk4ever on 12-12-2005 3:53 PM]
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
BasketballJones
Alba Posts: 19
Member: #290
USA
12/12/2005  4:03 PM
Some of the things he's reported to have said and done make me question his sanity. I don't know if those things have been blown out of proportion by the media, but they are cause for concern.

So It's not about Artest being on good behavior. It's about him being able to control himself enough to contribute to the team.

On the other hand, the history of basketball is filled with examples of eccentrics. Dennis Rodman comes to mind.
https:// It's not so hard.
tomverve
Member: #878
12/12/2005  4:32 PM
What I'm wondering is, if Artest is telling the truth that he doesn't like playing for Carlisle, how much would be like playing for Brown? His beef with Carlisle seems to be that he isn't featured enough in the offense; would that be any different in Larry's system where ball movement and team play is emphasized?
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Knight
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #968
12/12/2005  4:34 PM
Posted by tomverve:

What I'm wondering is, if Artest is telling the truth that he doesn't like playing for Carlisle, how much would be like playing for Brown? His beef with Carlisle seems to be that he isn't featured enough in the offense; would that be any different in Larry's system where ball movement and team play is emphasized?

It would be even worse for Artest. Marbury will be taking alot of shots along with Eddy and Frye.
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/12/2005  4:48 PM
Posted by Knight:
Posted by tomverve:

It would be even worse for Artest. Marbury will be taking alot of shots along with Eddy and Frye.

i don't know about that. Could be, but I doubt it. I don't watch Indiana too much but here goes: They have JO and I assume MUCH of the offense flows through him. And everyone else is option #2, #3 and down. IF Artest is on the Knicks, the offense would start with Curry, but believe me you, the #1 option would be with Artest getting the ball after the post touch. You notice how on the Knicks Rose and Ariza and Q always get the open shot? It's because: #1 well they suck, and #2 the ball is moving enough to the open player, and the 3's are it.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
12/12/2005  5:21 PM
Artest will kill on this squad on both sides of the ball.

There are some serious questions about his behavior though. I have friends who know him and said he is really is missing a screw. Not that we didn't know that, but they said he's really crazy. I would be concerned about getting him especially because he is from NY and because he'll want to go back to his hood and try to reap the rewards of his street cred. Some of that is gonna be an issue. Having said that, I'd still do the deal, its a high risk-high reward scenario.

We need a 3 and he is one of the best in the game on both sides of the ball. Zeke, get it done.
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
12/12/2005  6:26 PM
Maybe I'm looking at a different Artest...

Excellent strength, heady defensive player, better rebounder than his stats... Slow offensive footwork, not too fluid with the ball, so-so shot.

Still a great player and would fit in will with the gaping hole at SF and perimeter defense.

I still don't see how a trade that sends Artest to NY doesn't involve Frye...
TemujinKnick
Member: #1022

12/12/2005  6:40 PM
We have all of the leverage here. He isn't wanted in most of the league. Most teams will consider him a loose cannon without someone like Isiah hopefully helping steady him. Now if he doesn't want to be wherever he is traded, just how crazy do those teams think he might get?

We either trade for him on terms favorable to us, Indiana keeps him and it harms the team, or he gets traded somewhere else and is a FA in what, two and a half years? When do those huge contracts of ours come off the books again? This year, next year, and the year after. He will be all of 28/29 by then.

No. We need to sit still and keep the best of what we have. We have plenty of value to trade that doesn't harm us to give away. We have HUGE expiring contracts that teams not owned by someone named DOLAN would be happy to have. Money still talks in this game more than just about anything else. We have a real shot here, and if Indiana insists on Frye then we just walk away and wait either to temp the next team he is on, or until he is a free agent.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/12/2005  7:04 PM
Posted by Knight:
Posted by jaydh:
Posted by Knight:

cant people mature? LB already has experience in dealing with malcontents.

You would think someone might mature after igniting the most frightening and embarrassing incident in NBA history and being suspended an entire season for it.

that is true, but you know what, I respect what he is doing now moreso than what guys like vince and T-mac did, the both admitting to basically quitting on their team by slacking their play, that to me is disgusting. I can at least respect artest for comming out and being upfrong, although he may look like a ungrateful idiot for doing so.... but yea, you are right, you would think he would at least have been on his best behavior this year, at least this year...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
jo says if artest wants out...then trade him

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy