Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/12/2005  11:50 AM
Point well taken
By Greg Anthony
ESPN Insider

You've heard it before. Everything runs through the point.

OK, there's a built-in bias for me as a former NBA point guard to talk about the importance of that position.

But there's been some phenomenal play at that position this year that few saw coming at season's start. This demonstrates just how vital a good point guard is to a team's success.

Sam Cassell, injured last year in Minnesota, is having a huge impact on a Clippers team that now has third-best record in the Western Conference. At Golden State, Baron Davis came in last year and changed how the Warriors play. His teaming with Jason Richardson gives the Warriors one of the NBA's top three backcourts.

Some teams have had success through great individual players at the point -- others do it by committee. T.J. Ford and Mo Williams have become a great point tandem in Milwaukee. The Bucks have had as many big wins as anyone. They've beaten Cleveland, Philly (three times), Dallas and, among others, Minnesota, which has been playing good basketball. Williams is the second-leading scorer on the team and he's got an almost 3-1 assist-turnover ratio. You see a pattern among teams playing good basketball; the point guard position has had a big impact.

Memphis has gotten very good play from Damon Stoudamire and Bobby Jackson. New Orleans has done well with Chris Paul and Speedy Claxton.

Among the known quantities at the point, here's how I rank five who have had the biggest impact on their respective teams this season. These are the guys who are what I call the "usual suspects" -- point guards who are always among the elite:

1. Steve Nash, Suns -- MVP last year, having another MVP like season. He just makes people better. Great shooter, scorer and decision maker.

2. Allen Iverson, Sixers -- The guy has made transition to the point holding together a young team, including Kyle Korver and Andre Iguodala, and a hobbled veteran in Chris Webber. The only reason he wouldn't be my MVP because his team isn't that good.

3. Chauncey Billups, Pistons -- I went with Chauncey over Tony Parker for the three spot because his Pistons have the better record. He's versitile, can play the 1 or the 2, and he can guard a 1 or a 2. And he is money with free-throw shooting down the stretch.

4. Tony Parker, Spurs -- Tony's having his best season. He leads the entire league points in the paint. His type of relentless attack puts pressure on a defense and gives the Spurs a winning formula. (Unless they're playing the Hawks!)

5. (tie) Davis and Cassell. Davis is physically the best all-around talent at the point. But he has not played as consistently as his talent dictates. There isn't anything Baron can't do. Sam's like a fine wine, better with time. When he has the ball in his hands, everyone knows he's capable of making a play to win.

There's some teams that could benefit greatly from improved point guard play.

Boston doesn't have a point guard at 8-12 -- the departed Gary Payton gave them stability. They could end being the worst team in the Eastern Conference. It's easier making a point guard into a shooting guard, than what Boston's done with Delonte West, turning a SG into a PG.

Cleveland gets good perimeter shooting from Damon Jones, but he can be a liability defensively. When T-Mac was out, Houston could have benefited from solid play from its point guards, but they weren't defending or penetrating well.

Even a team that's winning like the Indiana, at 12-7, could get better direction from Sarunas Jasikevicius.

Having a great point allows other guys to prosper. Pau Gasol and Elton Brand are having great seasons. Both teams have had changes, but certain additions stick out that have made a difference. Hmm, wonder what position that might be?

I think you get my point.

AUTOADVERT
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
12/12/2005  11:56 AM
Greg is dead on in his assessment.

Jasikevicius will get continue to get better with floor time.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
attaboy2005
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #992

12/12/2005  12:35 PM
Funny, Nothing about Marbs!

I wonder why?. HMMMMMM
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
12/12/2005  3:52 PM
Posted by McK1:

Greg is dead on in his assessment.

Jasikevicius will get continue to get better with floor time.

Too bad, he never took his own advice. Maybe the KNicks wouldn't had to get overage point guards to start in front of him.

[Edited by - pharzeone on 12-12-2005 3:52 PM]
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
point well taken (greg anthony)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy