[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

trade for artest, dangle marbury (article)
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/12/2005  11:04 AM
http://realgm.com/src_feature_article/73/20051211/dangle_marbury_pursue_artest/

In a recent interview, Ron Artest said that he wanted to be traded and prefers to land in New York. If he isn't moved directly to New York, the Indiana Pacers' star indicated that he could wind up signing with the Knicks when he eventually becomes a free-agent.

This should raise the antenna over at Madison Square Garden where the Knicks are in search of a small forward and where the team's new nucleus is starting to take shape in a way that could make the organization's most prominent player expendable. The question then seems to be whether a complex deal can be struck to exchange the two New York City products, Artest and Stephon Marbury . The trade would need to be structured to include other pieces because the two are not a salary cap match.

Despite a poor 6-13 record, the Knicks' fan base has good reason to feel optimistic about the development of its young talent. A front line of Eddy Curry, Channing Frye, Trevor Ariza offers an impressive foundation for thefuture. Adding Artest to the rotation would make the Knicks' bigs a formidable group.

Brown is likely to throw his considerable weight behind a trade that brings in a rugged defender like Artest and parts ways with a point guard like Marbury, who despite possessing superior tools is an odd fit for the system Brown has begun to install. The upside of fortifying the frontcourt is obvious but there are other reasons to try to ship Marbury. So far, amid a challenging schedule, a young roster and a new and demanding coach, there are both encouraging signs and some troubling vestiges of the team's recent
past. Removing Marbury from the backcourt will accelerate the progress of the Knicks' backcourt and could have even deeper benefits for the club's efficiency on the offensive end.

Same as last season, what Marbury is not delivering to the team is not detectable in his own numbers which remain solid and would be valuable to any fantasy league player. But the Knicks lead the league in turnovers and this one statistic more than any other is crippling their chances of getting over the hump. As the point guard and the apparent leader of the team, Marbury doesn't have to turn the ball over himself to take a large share of the burden for the team's failure to keep game mistakes to a reasonable number. It is true that a good amount of the Knick turnovers can be imputed to mindless offensive fouls where Curry barrels over the defender, and an abundance of silly plays in which Malik Rose is apparently trying to fulfill his dream to become the next Karl Malone. But it is also true that Marbury does little to make the game easier for his teammates or give the Knicks' a definite direction on the offensive end.

It is probably unfair to heap too much blame on Marbury who appears to be playing up to his capabilities at present. He should be applauded for embracing the promise of a new era under Brown and for wanting nothing more than to make the Knicks a winner again back in his hometown. His deficiencies are not the result of a lack of effort, nor should they be categorized under the ball-hog theory that commonly follows point guards who can score. If anything, Marbury's case may be one of dwindling lift or lost swagger, and in the end, the problem may lie in the simple fact that Marbury is not able to "play the right way." Or he's simply not now as good as the Starbury tag that has been attached to the man since his Brooklyn high school days.

Let's consider a few other basketball observations to fairly examine the Marbury issue. In some ways, he is certainly the most consistent performer for New York and offers reliable productivity, most notably the ability to draw fouls in the pre-crunch time of the game. Nobody is better at getting into the scoring lanes or can match his blow-by speed, especially when he takes off from the top of the arc. However, while he puts pressure on the defense by driving the ball repeatedly, Marbury plays without the
elusiveness and offbeat tempo of not only many less offensive-minded guards, but also those who are considered "score-first" point men (see Baron Davis. In the last game of the recent road trip in Phoenix, with the Knicks <http://knicks.realgm.com> down 3 and less than one full shot clock remaining in regulation, Marbury was given plenty of space between him and the defender. Instead of raising up and trying to tie the game by letting
fly from the 3-point line, he put his head down and took the ball to the goal. His flip from close-range hit back rim and the game was effectively over.

Marbury seems to have lost confidence in his outside shot and is growingly reluctant to mix in his jumper to keep defenders honest, even from inside the arc or on the pull-up after his first steps to the basket. As witnessed in Phoenix, the word on this hesitancy to take an outside shot is now clearly out to all the teams via advance scouting reports. So other than his patented hard drives all the way to the hoop, most all of which he takes
from the top and a sizable amount of which he no longer finishes, we're talking about a point guard who has extremely limited and predictable ways of keeping defenses honest, bailing his team out with a key bucket, etc. More importantly, without much innovation in running the offense, his late-game scoring and playmaking is highly problematic (and therefore the Knicks' chances of pulling out close games, which now make up the majority
of contests in the NBA, suffer accordingly). On the defensive end, he is at best nothing special and can more accurately be termed a liability.

It's advisable to put Marbury on the market now, while his value remains significant, but also because the Knicks will be able to distribute his minutes effectively without skipping a beat. Dumping Marbury would seem to be another major step in the rebuilding process - and it would be - but not one for years down the road: The Knicks could see a net gain starting this season. On the recent road trip, Nate played with both energy and poise in his new starting assignment, figuring out how to get his shot off in the
paint, taking his jumper fearlessly, and applying ball pressure by hounding the opposing point guard. He could also be coming along as a playmaker more rapidly than Brown had expected.

On the first game of the trip in Seattle, Jamal Crawford won his second game of the season with a scoring outburst (he did the same a week earlier versus the Bulls at the Garden). With multiple ways to score going to the hole and unlimited range on a streaky jumpshot, Crawford needs to play heavy minutes and continue feeling the confidence of his coach. If some of the recent performances are any indication, Crawford may be getting closer to finding that all-important balance between a controlled talent keeping his
game harnessed until the optimal moment and a frenetic scorer who is always looking for a chance to stick the dagger. As far as the latter, there are not that many wing players in the NBA who have the natural ability to wreak more havoc than Crawford, as long as he comes to compete each night and always looks to be a threat when he's on the court.

Dealing Marbury has the potential to unleash both Robinson's and Crawford's immense upside and both have the skill level to become pillars of an exciting backcourt for years to come. The Knicks would then seek to deal a spare part for a pure point guard who can orchestrate Brown's complex offensive schemes, keep the offense flowing smoothly, and get the ball into the right people's hands. A straight deal of Jerome James to Denver for
Earl Watson is currently floating on the trade talk circuit. James would also be a salary cap match in a deal for Eric Snow who, though 32, brings the advantage of being able to implement Brown's system from day one. Snow thrived running the show for Brown in Philadelphia .
AUTOADVERT
DarkKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #882
Spain
12/12/2005  11:08 AM
"It is true that a good amount of the Knick turnovers can be imputed to mindless offensive fouls where Curry barrels over the defender, and an abundance of silly plays in which Malik Rose is apparently trying to fulfill his dream to become the next Karl Malone"
LOL!! But so true.
attaboy2005
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #992

12/12/2005  11:18 AM
Yes, Rose has delusions of grandeur when he gets the ball in the paint, He does think he is 7 ft tall or something and tries to pull off a crazy move or he thinks he's a PG and makes a dumb pass, this guy is in over his head!.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
12/12/2005  11:49 AM
He makes some interesting observations like: lack of confidence in his mid-range shot. I actually said this before.

However, I'd say his midrange jumper was looking great against Phoenix and solid against Seattle. He defintiely needs to diversify his attack, but I think that is part of what LB wants from him, attack the lane and get to the line. We lead the league in ft's and it is a clear part of LB's strategy. That being said Steph must improve in scoring from different parts of the court.

And some totally fallacious statements like: "On the defensive end, he is at best nothing special and can more accurately be termed a liability."

Steph has been great on defense. He has played excellent defense on guards all season long. Furthermore, he is guarding bigger players, and is doing it because Crawford is a defensive liability who doesn't start because of it. I can't take him too seriously if he is saying this.

and
"But it is also true that Marbury does little to make the game easier for his teammates or give the Knicks' a definite direction on the offensive end."

Again, Steph is running LB's offense so I truly think that lies in LB's lap, unless Steph isn't following what LB is asking of him. Furthermore, I am also a little unclear on how exactly you give starters like AD and Rose a definite direction, when the only direction should be towards the end of the bench. I think he's been great with Frye and has fed Curry to a fault, again under LB's direction.

He has probably only seen a few games this season.

Like DJ, this guy thinks that by moving Marbury, J.Craw and Nate will develop into better players. I guess Steph is holding them back. I don't wanna move Steph so those 2 guys can be our starting backcourt thats just stupid.

[Edited by - killa4luv on 12-12-2005 11:50 AM]
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/12/2005  12:01 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

Like DJ, this guy thinks that by moving Marbury, J.Craw and Nate will develop into better players. I guess Steph is holding them back. I don't wanna move Steph so those 2 guys can be our starting backcourt thats just stupid.

never have i once said that.

i just want to see IF craw can run the point for an extended period. i don't know if he can but i would like to see it based on the few minutes he actually does get to with that 2nd unit. and if he can't, then trade him also. it's about opportunity with him and i'd like to see him get that as a PG b/c that's his TRUE calling in the nba. this 1/2 SG 1/2 PG is not good for him right now. he needs to play point where he has the advantage and score when the ball comes back to him as a 3rd/4th/5th option.

craw and nate as as starting backcourt? sure, if you want to win 25 games a year. nate is a 6th man and will always be a 6th man.

again, how many times do i have to say this, i don't hate stephon marbury. i think he's a tremendous talent. but i don't like the philosphy of having a marbury here when we should be clearly rebuilding around that young core. it's like this half-assed attempt. and when those young guys do "get it", then marbury will have 12 years of nba mileage on his ankles at 40 mins a night. that, more likely than not, does not bode well for him to keep up this type of play, especially where his game relies on his first step to the basket.

why is that so hard to accept? steph is not "holding" back any of our players but him being here does "hold" back what I THINK we should be doing as a franchise and that's TURNING THE PAGE already.

but if we're not going to trade steph, then go trade for KG and artest right now b/c that's the only way this team will LEGITIMATELY compete for titles with stephon as the pg. otherwise, he's just the place-holder b/c his game will not be what it is right now by the time frye and curry become legit (IF they ever do) and it's not fair to ask stephon to wait around for that in the meantime. it's a waste of his prime years and our money.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 12-12-2005 12:02 PM]
BlueSeats
Alba Posts: 41
Member: #1024

12/12/2005  12:36 PM
Ugh, Steph is running Browns offense but in a stilted mechanical way, like a klutz following the footprints on the floor of the Fred Astaire Dance Studio.

We need someone who can make the place swing...
trade for artest, dangle marbury (article)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy