[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Artest: Trade me to Knicks
Author Thread
mattshaw78
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #915
12/12/2005  6:04 AM
Let's see. the Knicks need a small forward ... Ron Artest is a small forward ... and Artest just said he wants to be traded. And that he wants to come home to New York.
Does Isiah Thomas still have Larry Bird's phone number?

Artest, the temperamental but talented Pacers star, made news Saturday by publicly suggesting a trade. The Pacers have stood by him since the infamous brawl at Detroit last year, but the former St.John's star said it would be best for both him and the team if he were dealt.

"I think I cause a lot of problems here," he told the Indianapolis Star. "If the trade rumors, if there's any truth - maybe it won't be a bad thing. They probably could win more games without me."

Needless to say, the 6-13 Knicks could win more with him. So is there a match to be made here?

According to a Pacers source, the team fully expects Thomas to make a run at Artest. Whether the Knicks president can make a deal is another matter. Quentin Richardson's salary roughly matches Artest's $6.5 million, but Indiana would surely prefer Sacramento's Peja Stojakovic, whose name has come up in Artest rumors. Cleveland and Miami are other possibilities; Artest said he "wouldn't mind" coming off of the bench behind LeBron James.

There has been trade talk regarding Artest ever since the brawl. Last season, a source close to Thomas said he was exploring the idea of acquiring Artest after the league suspended him.

Baggage notwithstanding, Artest-to-New York is obviously an intriguing scenario for both sides.

The Knicks are looking for a true small forward. It's the one position - probably more than point guard - that they would most like to upgrade.

Artest would not come without issues. Besides his penchant for losing his cool, Artest openly acknowledged that he wants to go someplace where he can score more. The former Defensive Player of the Year is averaging 19.4 points this season (he has missed the last two games with a wrist injury). One also wonders whether playing at home would bring additional distractions for Artest.

In the 1999 draft, the Knicks passed on the Queensbridge product, instead taking noted bust Frederic Weis.

"If it was a perfect world, I'd be going to New York," said Artest, whom Thomas coached with the Pacers. He also said that if he gets dealt to the West Coast, he would come to New York after his contract expires, which is two years after this season.

BlueSeats "I like anyone who can make Lebron cry. Melo seems to do it a lot."
AUTOADVERT
DarkKnicks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #882
Spain
12/12/2005  7:58 AM
"If it was a perfect world" we would get Artest for Rose, Ariza, Lee and SA pick. That way, BRIGGS and I could finally accept that is wasn't bad to keep Lee in the Curry trade.

Now seriously, if we get Artest, Larry will get absolutely everything he might want from the Knicks.
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
12/12/2005  8:17 AM
Who does this???

In a recent interview, Ron Artest said that he wanted to be traded and prefers to land in New York. If he isn’t moved directly to New York, the Indiana Pacers ’ star indicated that he could wind up signing with the Knicks when he eventually becomes a free-agent.

This should raise the antenna over at Madison Square Garden where the Knicks are in search of a small forward and where the team’s new nucleus is starting to take shape in a way that could make the organization’s most prominent player expendable. The question then seems to be whether a complex deal can be struck to exchange the two New York City products, Artest and Stephon Marbury. The trade would need to be structured to include other pieces because the two are not a salary cap match.

Despite a poor 6-13 record, the Knicks’ fan base has good reason to feel optimistic about the development of its young talent. A front line of Eddy Curry, Channing Frye, Trevor Ariza and David Lee offers an impressive foundation for the future. Adding Artest to the rotation would make the Knicks’ bigs a formidable group.

Brown is likely to throw his considerable weight behind a trade that brings in a rugged defender like Artest and parts ways with a point guard like Marbury, who despite possessing superior tools is an odd fit for the system Brown has begun to install. The upside of fortifying the frontcourt is obvious but there are other reasons to try to ship Marbury. So far, amid a challenging schedule, a young roster and a new and demanding coach, there are both encouraging signs and some troubling vestiges of the team’s recent past. Removing Marbury from the backcourt will accelerate the progress of the Knicks’ backcourt and could have even deeper benefits for the club’s efficiency on the offensive end.

Same as last season, what Marbury is not delivering to the team is not detectable in his own numbers which remain solid and would be valuable to any fantasy league player. But the Knicks lead the league in turnovers and this one statistic more than any other is crippling their chances of getting over the hump. As the point guard and the apparent leader of the team, Marbury doesn’t have to turn the ball over himself to take a large share of the burden for the team’s failure to keep game mistakes to a reasonable number. It is true that a good amount of the Knick turnovers can be imputed to mindless offensive fouls where Curry barrels over the defender, and an abundance of silly plays in which Malik Rose is apparently trying to fulfill his dream to become the next Karl Malone. But it is also true that Marbury does little to make the game easier for his teammates or give the Knicks’ a definite direction on the offensive end.

It is probably unfair to heap too much blame on Marbury who appears to be playing up to his capabilities at present. He should be applauded for embracing the promise of a new era under Brown and for wanting nothing more than to make the Knicks a winner again back in his hometown. His deficiencies are not the result of a lack of effort, nor should they be categorized under the ball-hog theory that commonly follows point guards who can score. If anything, Marbury’s case may be one of dwindling lift or lost swagger, and in the end, the problem may lie in the simple fact that Marbury is not able to “play the right way.” Or he’s simply not now as good as the Starbury tag that has been attached to the man since his Brooklyn high school days.

Let’s consider a few other basketball observations to fairly examine the Marbury issue. In some ways, he is certainly the most consistent performer for New York and offers reliable productivity, most notably the ability to draw fouls in the pre-crunch time of the game. Nobody is better at getting into the scoring lanes or can match his blow-by speed, especially when he takes off from the top of the arc. However, while he puts pressure on the defense by driving the ball repeatedly, Marbury plays without the elusiveness and offbeat tempo of not only many less offensive-minded guards, but also those who are considered “score-first” point men (see Baron Davis).

In the last game of the recent road trip in Phoenix, with the Knicks down 3 and less than one full shot clock remaining in regulation, Marbury was given plenty of space between him and the defender. Instead of raising up and trying to tie the game by letting fly from the 3-point line, he put his head down and took the ball to the goal. His flip from close-range hit back rim and the game was effectively over.

Marbury seems to have lost confidence in his outside shot and is growingly reluctant to mix in his jumper to keep defenders honest, even from inside the arc or on the pull-up after his first steps to the basket. As witnessed in Phoenix, the word on this hesitancy to take an outside shot is now clearly out to all the teams via advance scouting reports. So other than his patented hard drives all the way to the hoop, most all of which he takes from the top and a sizable amount of which he no longer finishes, we’re talking about a point guard who has extremely limited and predictable ways of keeping defenses honest, bailing his team out with a key bucket, etc. More importantly, without much innovation in running the offense, his late-game scoring and playmaking is highly problematic (and therefore the Knicks’ chances of pulling out close games, which now make up the majority of contests in the NBA, suffer accordingly). On the defensive end, he is at best nothing special and can more accurately be termed a liability.

It’s advisable to put Marbury on the market now, while his value remains significant, but also because the Knicks will be able to distribute his minutes effectively without skipping a beat. Dumping Marbury would seem to be another major step in the rebuilding process – and it would be – but not one for years down the road: The Knicks could see a net gain starting this season. On the recent road trip, Nate Robinson played with both energy and poise in his new starting assignment, figuring out how to get his shot off in the paint, taking his jumper fearlessly, and applying ball pressure by hounding the opposing point guard. He could also be coming along as a playmaker more rapidly than Brown had expected.

On the first game of the trip in Seattle, Jamal Crawford won his second game of the season with a scoring outburst (he did the same a week earlier versus the Bulls at the Garden). With multiple ways to score going to the hole and unlimited range on a streaky jumpshot, Crawford needs to play heavy minutes and continue feeling the confidence of his coach. If some of the recent performances are any indication, Crawford may be getting closer to finding that all-important balance between a controlled talent keeping his game harnessed until the optimal moment and a frenetic scorer who is always looking for a chance to stick the dagger. As far as the latter, there are not that many wing players in the NBA who have the natural ability to wreak more havoc than Crawford, as long as he comes to compete each night and always looks to be a threat when he’s on the court.

Dealing Marbury has the potential to unleash both Robinson’s and Crawford’s immense upside and both have the skill level to become pillars of an exciting backcourt for years to come. The Knicks would then seek to deal a spare part for a pure point guard who can orchestrate Brown’s complex offensive schemes, keep the offense flowing smoothly, and get the ball into the right people’s hands. A straight deal of Jerome James to Denver for Earl Watson is currently floating on the trade talk circuit. James would also be a salary cap match in a deal for Eric Snow who, though 32, brings the advantage of being able to implement Brown’s system from day one. Snow thrived running the show for Brown in Philadelphia.

Bringing back Artest would be an ideal development for New York. But there may be a few clubs on the market who would take a look at Marbury and the Knicks should explore each avenue. We know that Knicks’ basketball operations president Isiah Thomas likes Antoine Walker and Miami may be intrigued by the prospect of pairing Marbury with the phenomenal wing talents of Dwyane Wade. The Knicks may be willing to put Quentin Richardson in any of these discussions, as well as Rose and Mo Taylor, and as always, it wouldn’t be surprising to see the Knicks eat a large long-term contract as part of a major deal.

From RealGM.com, written by Louis Roxin.
~You can't run from who you are.~
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
12/12/2005  8:22 AM
Marbury and Ariza for Artest and the contract of Bender....Trade Jerome James for Watson....

Curry
Frye
Artest
Crawford
Nate

Q, Butler, Lee, AD, Rose, Penny, Mo, Woods....STILL have the expiring contracts of AD and Penny to work with...Artest would be able to score here also, like he wants.

Indy would have

Foster
JO
Granger
Jackson
Marbury

Tinsley, Ariza, Pollard, JOnes, Croshere....

[Edited by - joec32033 on 12-12-2005 08:23 AM]
~You can't run from who you are.~
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/12/2005  9:12 AM
Indy doesnt and wouldnt want Marbury. I cant see the appeal or the fit. Something like AD + Lee and Ariza or the Spurs pick instead of one of those guys for Bender and Artest is the best both parties can get.

They arent getting Peja
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/12/2005  10:22 AM
I wonder if they would take a package of Q Lee ending contract for salary Artest. I thinjk its more realsitic today than before. I wouldnt go crazy with trying to get him, but if a guy like that is available, you try to get him. Id be willing to give up a good amount for him, but NOT Frye.
RIP Crushalot😞
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
12/12/2005  10:29 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

I wonder if they would take a package of Q Lee ending contract for salary Artest. I thinjk its more realsitic today than before. I wouldnt go crazy with trying to get him, but if a guy like that is available, you try to get him. Id be willing to give up a good amount for him, but NOT Frye.

I made the same exact post the other night when the story first broke. I think thats a satisfactory deal both ways considering Artest's value at this point.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
Ira
Member: #91
12/12/2005  10:36 AM
"I think I cause a lot of problems here," he told the Indianapolis Star. "If the trade rumors, if there's any truth - maybe it won't be a bad thing. They probably could win more games without me."

It sounds like he's threatening the Pacers - not a nice thing. I have mixed feelings about going for Artest. I love his game, and appreciate his New York roots. But the guy has very serious personal issures which could end up haunting us.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
12/12/2005  11:00 AM
I still don't think Bird would ever trade with Isiah, but Ron may be enough of a headache that Indy wants to lose him AND will have trouble finding another team that will take him.

In that case: if you can get Artest, you do it.
¿ △ ?
BRIGGS
12/12/2005  11:15 AM
Taylor to Por

Patterson Lee Ariza SA 1 06 to Ind

Artest and Blake to NY
RIP Crushalot😞
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/12/2005  11:16 AM
i don't think we can trade the spurs #1 b/c of all the conditional crap attached to it.
BRIGGS
12/12/2005  11:21 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

i don't think we can trade the spurs #1 b/c of all the conditional crap attached to it.

oh well, patterson lee and ariza isnt a bad package for a team that will have few suitors---ron will be a pain in the arse to handle for most teams--inclusing the knicks, but im willing to give up this to get it done i think its a very reasonable package if we can get portalnd to go along
RIP Crushalot😞
efw
Member: #1002

12/12/2005  11:33 AM
My guess is it would have to be a 3-way because Ron makes so litte. And it would lessen the blow to Larry for having to deal with Isiah.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/12/2005  11:38 AM
In addition to taking back a bloated contract, I think for this to work indiana would need to want to get Jamal- if they do a deal, they do need to get some kind of scoring back- having jamal off the bench might work for them to mitigate the loss of artest's firepower
efw
Member: #1002

12/12/2005  11:46 AM
How about:

Antonio Davis + 1st round pick (NY) to Orlando
Stevie Franchise to Indiana
Ron Artest + Scott Pollard to NY

Orlando get cap relief plus draft pick (and maybe some cash) and get rid of their headache. Indiana gets an all star bona fide 2 guard. We get a headcase and yet another bad contract (which I think comes off after this year)!
BRIGGS
12/12/2005  12:08 PM
lakers could dangle odom, im not a big odom guy, i think patterson wouyld actually be a better fit and you get the nice extra pieces and less $$$, but they might take the stronger talent.
RIP Crushalot😞
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
12/12/2005  12:12 PM
How come you don't like him? I think Odom is actually the type of player that would flourish under Larry wing where everyone of his physical gift would NOT be going to waste.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BRIGGS
12/12/2005  12:24 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

How come you don't like him? I think Odom is actually the type of player that would flourish under Larry wing where everyone of his physical gift would NOT be going to waste.

Id much rather have Artest than Odom. Artest is mean, players are intimidated by Artest and he is a premiere two way player. Odom is to carefree, not enough D and to many soft 4-14 nights.
RIP Crushalot😞
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
12/12/2005  12:26 PM
I agree with you on that, but I just see Odom as a guy that wont have that happening anymore under our system. Or eventually he wont. Maybe I'm wrong. Artest would still be a good PLAYER to have on the team though. I just don't know if he's much of a good influence though.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
BRIGGS
12/12/2005  12:34 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:

I agree with you on that, but I just see Odom as a guy that wont have that happening anymore under our system. Or eventually he wont. Maybe I'm wrong. Artest would still be a good PLAYER to have on the team though. I just don't know if he's much of a good influence though.

ah, Ill take my chances with artest. there is reasonable risk with artest, but its a worthy risk. that post i laid out yesterday--now if you start getting guys like artest--then you are talking a different avenue. we have a lot of softies, ron is not

we would still need changes but ron is a sure-fire impact player--id give up a LOT to get him here but not Frye:>)
RIP Crushalot😞
Artest: Trade me to Knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy