[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Is Home Court Really an Advantage for Us?
Author Thread
tomverve
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #878
12/12/2005  12:07 AM
Posted by Knight:

Teams do play better at home, but if you're a crappy team, it won't make you that much better.

What's a crappy team? .400 winning percentage and below? .350? That's an interesting claim you're making, but you need to back it up. It could just as well be that the relative benefit for crappy teams playing at home as opposed to the road is even more pronounced than it is for good teams-- that makes sense to me as well. The only way to get a better idea of how this shakes out is to look at how crappy teams have done historically at home vs. on the road, and compare that to how non-crappy teams have done at home vs. on the road.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
AUTOADVERT
Knight
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #968
12/12/2005  12:10 AM
Posted by tomverve:
Posted by Knight:

Teams do play better at home, but if you're a crappy team, it won't make you that much better.

What's a crappy team? .400 winning percentage and below? .350? That's an interesting claim you're making, but you need to back it up. It could just as well be that the relative benefit for crappy teams playing at home as opposed to the road is even more pronounced than it is for good teams-- that makes sense to me as well. The only way to get a better idea of how this shakes out is to look at how crappy teams have done historically at home vs. on the road, and compare that to how non-crappy teams have done at home vs. on the road.

You don't know what a crappy team is? You're full of it. Next time you say that the Knicks will be a good team I will ask you to define what a good team is.
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
tomverve
12/12/2005  12:12 AM
I'm not full of it, I'm just asking you to back up what you say.
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
Knight
12/12/2005  12:14 AM
Posted by tomverve:

I'm not full of it, I'm just asking you to back up what you say.

You can't back up everything you say, it's impossible, but teams who suck do not become a great team through some kind of home court magic.
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
tomverve
12/12/2005  12:18 AM
You can back something up when someone asks you to. Maybe not completely perfectly, but it can be done. I even laid out some parameters for you, all you have to do is look up the numbers.

Anyway, the Knicks are probably not going to set the world on fire on their homestand, no, but it's certainly reasonable to expect them to be much better at home and to begin to lift up the W/L record.
Knight
12/12/2005  12:19 AM
Posted by tomverve:

You can back something up when someone asks you to. Maybe not completely perfectly, but it can be done. I even laid out some parameters for you, all you have to do is look up the numbers.

Thanks for the parameters. I owe you one.

[Edited by - Knight on 12-12-2005 12:19 AM]
tomverve
12/12/2005  12:22 AM
OK. I say you're wrong. Crappy teams actually benefit more than good team from playing at home. Who's right? Well, I guess if we don't bother putting any thought and effort into the conversation, we'll never know.
Knight
12/12/2005  12:25 AM
Posted by tomverve:

OK. I say you're wrong. Crappy teams actually benefit more than good team from playing at home. Who's right? Well, I guess if we don't bother putting any thought and effort into the conversation, we'll never know.

I'll savor the mystery.
tomverve
12/12/2005  12:37 AM
If you want to savor the mystery, God knows why you started a thread asking "Is homecourt really an advantage for us?" Sounds more like you want to peddle your viewpoint rather than having a thoughtful conversation.
Knight
12/12/2005  12:42 AM
Posted by tomverve:

If you want to savor the mystery, God knows why you started a thread asking "Is homecourt really an advantage for us?" Sounds more like you want to peddle your viewpoint rather than having a thoughtful conversation.

I'm sorry I'm not doing the kind of research required to post on an internet fan forum.
tomverve
12/12/2005  12:43 AM
Research isn't required in order to post on an internet forum. However, sometimes it is required in order to have an intelligent and productive conversation.
Knight
12/12/2005  12:46 AM
Posted by tomverve:

Research isn't required in order to post on an internet forum. However, sometimes it is required in order to have an intelligent and productive conversation.

Well, I'm not intelligent or productive, but I still like to post here.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
12/12/2005  4:01 AM
Homecourt is always an advantage. Thats why every team in the history of the NBA has had a better home record.

Now do the Knicks face more pressure at home then other teams? You could say they do, but they also recieve more support. People boo cause they care.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/12/2005  9:34 AM
A lot of the game is mental. The Knicks being home gives them a bit more confidence and teams tend to fight a little harder when they're in front of their home fans. I don't really count the 1st 2 losses that heavily. We were lightyears from where the team is now. The players are much more familiar with the scheme and each other. The teams is much more confident now. I don't think we'll win every game, but over the longhaul, this home stretch will prove to be a net positive for this team and that's all we want. .500 is a bit too pessimistic. I mean come on. They will face enough beatable competition to make sure the home record is a good deal better than that.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/12/2005  9:49 AM
Posted by Knight:
Posted by tomverve:

lol!!! me too! I can thank Tom for making it more educational though. Word of the day is now parameter. Anyone know how many parameters in a yard?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
12/12/2005  9:50 AM
Posted by Knight:

No argument from me on that one.
Is Home Court Really an Advantage for Us?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy