[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

OT-Nash and the Suns
Author Thread
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
12/11/2005  1:01 PM
Steve Nash dribbles around the court running around screens, penetrating and than dishing out to the person who makes the shot. Please explain how this is so incredible when Nash does it? Isn't that dominating the ball? Nash is good but what really makes that team run is the system + his skills, not him alone. Everyone forgets that. They push it up after every shot, make or miss and generaly try to score points in transition because they do not have guys who can create their own shots. If the team gets back Nash runs around screens to get open, gets to the lane, the defense doubels down and he passes to guys who are spotted up behind the 3 point line. How ingenius, he's incredbile [sarcasm] He's obviously a really good player, but I think guys go so overboard on his incredibleness. Not a big deal though, they have played far better than I expected I must admit that. That system that they play really caters to their players' strengths. No D, run, shoot it whenever you touch the rock, don't think about the shot clock. Its very unstructured, which makes it very easy to teach guys how to play, theres not much to learn. Its a system that works well, but it is geared for the regular season and they will never win a chip like that with or without Amare. They were easily swept by the Spurs last year, all while Amare was the most dominant player in the game by a ****ing mile in that series.
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/11/2005  1:39 PM
the return of killa!!!

there are some difference and they are huge. steve nash passes the ball out almost to a fault. he WILL pass the ball and his teammates know it. he can get to within 2 feet from the basket in the lane and STILL kick it back out. if marbury is within 5 feet of the basket in the lane, he will shoot it. i'm not saying he shouldn't, but that's just another example of how nash gets more people involved.

last night vs. the clippers, kurt thomas made an "and 1". steve nash ran up to him and jumped on him like a little kid. this was in the first quarter. when people miss shots from him, he runs right over and gives them 5 and a tap on their chest. some may think that's insignificant...but to me, it's not. this guy is constantly pumping up his teammates, make or miss. even kurt, as recent as friday said sometimes steph would give him some dirty looks on the court. if we say it, it may come off as stupid, but this is from kurt thomas.

it is a good system to promote that - up and down, push the ball, and more importantly, doesn't matter who shoots the ball. it's also the system marbury did not want to run. i think that says alot. you can implement a system that can hide some players weaknesses but this is a system that relies 100% on the pg and he's running it to perfection. so i think that nash is "incredible".

as for winning a title...only a select few are in the run for it...and then alot has to break your way to win it. do the pistons win it in 04 if malone doesn't get hurt? i don't know but all you can ask for is to be in it. the suns were a final 4 team going up against the champs. they saw that they weren't good enough to beat the spurs so they went and got raja bell and kurt. how do you know that wouldn't be good enough to get it done? they probably lost to the ONLY team in the league that could beat them in a 7 game series last year. it's tough to say it's a system geared for regular season when they got within 3 games of the finals.

but back to nash and steph...i'm not the only one saying this. ALOT of players say the same thing. mike d'antoni said marbury is not a good playmaker for that system. why would he say that? remember, this was a team one victory away from upsetting the spurs the season before marbury got traded. why abandon ship so soon on steph?

[Edited by - djsunyc on 12-11-2005 1:47 PM]
djsunyc
12/11/2005  1:55 PM
some quick stats:

suns fg attempts per game: 87.3
nash fg attempts per game: 13.7
% of nash's fg vs. team: 15%

knicks fg attempts per game: 77.5
steph's fg attempts per game: 14.5
% of steph's fg v.s team: 19%

so despite all the dribbling or ball domination steve nash does like marbury, he still takes a less % of shots of the team's offense than steph.
Killa4luv
USA
12/11/2005  2:20 PM
I am not making an argument of Nash vs. Steph. I am simply describing the kind of offense they run and why it works and why it will fail, imo.

Everyone saw the looks Steph gave Kurt so theres no need to qualify that.

The system they play has never won a title and I see no reason for me to assume that it will. I'mnot a big Cliche' man but defense wins championships. Suns still have very very weak D from Nash on down.

Why D'antoni would say that about Steph when they almost beat the champions in the first round I do not know, but I honestly wouldn't want to play in a system that has no proven track record of championship success. Whats the point, to be the best team in the regular season and get bumped?

Also we all know that Phoenix scores more points than us, but do you think our team should run that kind of offense? Are we that kind of team? Obviously not. We are built like a half court team who can run if Curry isn't in. Who on our squad should be taking more shots? The only ones I can think of is Frye and Crawford. Frye will no longer be left open outside so something has to be done. All of that stuff is mainly up to LB calling their numbers because its not like Steph is leaving Frye and Crawford open and taking his own shot. He's picking his spots very well. Make the argument that Steph isn't getting players involved, because I can't see who or how he isn't, or how it isn't LB's fault.

We also know that Steph shoots more than Nash, we also know that Nash has a better supporting cast, he doesn't need to score as much.

Dallas could have beaten them last year, and Memphis played them very tough as well. this year Dallas, Memphis, and Denver will all be very tough challenges for them, without even counting the Spurs who I am sure will beat them. I would bet my car that the suns don't evem make it to the finals, much less win it all. That being said they are obviously a much better team than us right now. I think that will change as the season progresses, I see something I think many of you dont.
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
12/11/2005  2:26 PM
Soapbox Sam
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/11/2005  2:28 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

some quick stats:

so despite all the dribbling or ball domination steve nash does like marbury, he still takes a less % of shots of the team's offense than steph.
Why are you comparing Nash and Marbury? Why is Nash even remotely relevant to the Knicks?

McK1
Member: #964
12/11/2005  2:38 PM
yep the comparison is pretty pointless.

Nash is an all-world player. Steph isn't even an all Atlantic.

AI Pierce C-Webb Bosh Carter
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
djsunyc
12/11/2005  2:40 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:

some quick stats:

Why are you comparing Nash and Marbury? Why is Nash even remotely relevant to the Knicks?

ummm bonn, did you read the first post in this thread? killa's talking about why is it nash so heralded compared to steph when he thinks they do the same things on the court. so i made my case and gave some #'s saying that there are differences.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/11/2005  4:08 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:

some quick stats:

ummm bonn, did you read the first post in this thread? killa's talking about why is it nash so heralded compared to steph when he thinks they do the same things on the court. so i made my case and gave some #'s saying that there are differences.

I quoted you but was asking everyone on the thread not just you. I guess for the rest of their careers we'll see Marbury/Nash comparisons.
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
12/11/2005  4:33 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by djsunyc:

some quick stats:

I quoted you but was asking everyone on the thread not just you. I guess for the rest of their careers we'll see Marbury/Nash comparisons.

then why quote dj instead of killa?
Killa4luv
USA
12/11/2005  11:37 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

I am not making an argument of Nash vs. Steph. I am simply describing the kind of offense they run and why it works and why it will fail, imo.
DJ, I specifically said that is not why I started this thread. I think Nash is a great player who is given too much credit and I think their system is an effective regular season strategy that will never yield a championship. Thats why I started this thread to discuss that, we already have a billion Marbury threads I wasn't trying to create another.

[Edited by - Killa4luv on 12-11-2005 11:38 PM]
Travla
Member: #723
USA
12/16/2005  4:46 PM
I agree totally with ya Killa, I'm a few days late cause I don't usually check this area. Nash is a good, maybe great point guard but it's the system that makes his stats possible. If the Suns played half court ball, Nash would look ordinary. The Suns simply push the ball and shoot, shoot, shoot. They average 20 3 point attempts as a regular part of their offense.
https://www.youtube.com/user/RPreston01/videos
OT-Nash and the Suns

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy