Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/10/2005  10:56 PM
Artest to Pacers: Trade me
'I think they will be a better team without me'

By Mike Wells

Injured forward Ron Artest wants to return to the court, but not to the Indiana Pacers.
In a 20-minute interview Saturday, Artest for the first time publicly said he wants to be traded. He calmly described the issues he has with his role on the team, his head coach and his past, and said the team would be better off without him.

"I still think my past haunts me here," Artest said. "I think somewhere else I'm starting fresh. I'm coming in with baggage but people already know about it and how I'm going to be. Either they're going to be for me or they're not going to trade for me. Here I think my past haunts me.

"I think they will be a better team without me."

Coach Rick Carlisle called his forward "one of the elite talents in the league."

"You never want to lose someone like that," Carlisle said Saturday.

The Pacers lost Artest for 73 games after the Nov. 19 brawl last season. They stuck with him even though he said his suspension essentially ruined their season. Now the Pacers might be forced to trade him in order to salvage an already trying season.

"I think I cause a lot of problems here," said Artest, who has missed the past two games with a wrist injury. "If the trade rumors, if there is any truth -- maybe it won't be a bad thing. They probably could win more games without me."

Team President Larry Bird was scouting in Europe and could not be reached for comment. Pacers CEO Donnie Walsh was surprised by Artest's request and said the franchise would decide the next step.

"I've never heard him say anything before," said Walsh, who acquired Artest in a trade in 2002. "He hasn't talked to me, and I see him every day."

Walsh called this latest development a distraction and chided Artest's handling of the situation.

"He can always come up and talk to me or Larry Bird," Walsh said. "From here on out, I expect Ronnie to be a professional. . . . (This) isn't the best way to get a trade done."

Until Saturday, Artest's season had been relatively stress-free. He remains one of the team's hardest workers. He hasn't irritated game officials and has reached out more to teammates off the court.

It's on the court that he's had problems fitting in with Carlisle's system.

Artest is second on the team in shot attempts and scoring at 19.4 points, but he thinks his style disrupts the offense.
"I'm so demanding of the ball. It's not my fault," he said. "Every time somebody is on me it's a mismatch. It messes up the offense. I like Coach (Carlisle) as a person, but I don't like playing for Coach. I like my team, though."

The Pacers run a structured offense in which Carlisle calls out most plays. That frustrates Artest, who has complained about the system in the past. Artest also took issue with practices. He thinks they're too soft.

"Don't get it twisted. He's a very good coach," Artest said. "He knows what he's doing. I personally don't like playing for him. I would not want to see him get fired for me after all the immaturity I've been through with this organization."

Getting offers for Artest won't be difficult -- Artest is a former All-Star and Defensive Player of the Year. But getting equal value in return could be. Artest makes $6.5 million this season, paltry by All-Star standards. Because of the salary cap, NBA trades are as much about matching salaries as swapping talent. Most players of Artest's ability make much more money, meaning the Pacers won't get a player of his caliber unless they include other Pacers in the deal.

What teams interest Artest?

His hometown New York Knicks.

"If I go to the West Coast, I would come back to New York after my contract is up," Artest said. "I would go to Cleveland. I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind LeBron James. There's a lot of players I wouldn't mind coming off the bench behind. If it was a perfect world, I would be going to New York."

Artest seeks a system in which he can score more, which would lead to a bigger contract when his expires in 2008. He has a player option for $8.5 million for the 2008-09 season.

"Here I don't think I'm going to have a chance to maximize my opportunity for my potential," he said. "When I first got here, all I wanted to do was play defense. I never really cared about offense, but what I see is players like Kobe (Bryant), Tracy (McGrady), (Gilbert) Arenas and Jermaine (O'Neal) getting the opportunity to maximize their potential on the court and to get paid. I'm out of my character a little bit here.

"I don't think I'm going to maximize my opportunity just playing defense. I have to show I'm one of the premier players on offense on the wing. So when it's that time, there's no question what type of player I am."
Artest said he will take a few more days to decide when he is ready to return from his wrist injury.

But the question is: Will he be a Pacer when he returns?
AUTOADVERT
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
12/10/2005  10:58 PM
That's great, but I just can't see Isiah and Larry making a deal. I think it would have to involve some other team
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/10/2005  11:17 PM
it would be something like this...

New York Trade Breakdown
Outgoing : Trevor Ariza + Nate Robinson + Quentin Richardson
Incoming : Ron Artest

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing : Ron Artest
Incoming : Trevor Ariza + Peja Stojakovic

Sacramento Trade Breakdown
Outgoing : Peja Stojakovic
Incoming : Nate Robinson + Quentin Richardson

[Edited by - djsunyc on 12-10-2005 11:18 PM]
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/10/2005  11:24 PM
Artest is a great player IMO but when I hear him talk about getting paid and wanting more offensive opps. I get a little worried, I like the Artest that could fit into any situation, with a defense first mentality, this artest, I don't know, sounds a little different..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
attaboy2005
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #992

12/10/2005  11:38 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

it would be something like this...

New York Trade Breakdown
Outgoing : Trevor Ariza + Nate Robinson + Quentin Richardson
Incoming : Ron Artest

Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing : Ron Artest
Incoming : Trevor Ariza + Peja Stojakovic

Sacramento Trade Breakdown
Outgoing : Peja Stojakovic
Incoming : Nate Robinson + Quentin Richardson

[Edited by - djsunyc on 12-10-2005 11:18 PM]

Why involve Nate?.
Caseloads
Member: #41
12/10/2005  11:39 PM
Posted by tkf:

Artest is a great player IMO but when I hear him talk about getting paid and wanting more offensive opps. I get a little worried, I like the Artest that could fit into any situation, with a defense first mentality, this artest, I don't know, sounds a little different..
I hear you, but we need guaranteed scoring from somewhere, anywhere. Artest is right. Anyone you put on Ronnie is a mismatch offensively, in Ronnie's favor. You win games with Defense AND Offense. You have to score the ball to win. And you have to be able to defend. Ron Artest on the Knicks would add to a combustable mix, but, BUT, Artest WOULD be the best scorer, defender, PLAYER on the Knicks.
attaboy2005
Member: #992

12/10/2005  11:44 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by tkf:

I hear you, but we need guaranteed scoring from somewhere, anywhere. Artest is right. Anyone you put on Ronnie is a mismatch offensively, in Ronnie's favor. You win games with Defense AND Offense. You have to score the ball to win. And you have to be able to defend. Ron Artest on the Knicks would add to a combustable mix, but, BUT, Artest WOULD be the best scorer, defender, PLAYER on the Knicks.

Artest's offense would be most welcome sight at the SF postion, it could open up things inside for Curry and Frye, as well as take off pressure from Marbury and Crawford to do all the scoring, Artest's defense could open up our offense for a faster tempo than our boring half court offense.
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
12/10/2005  11:46 PM
hey I was just wondering. would you guys include frye in a trade for artest if need be? theres a thread similar to this on realgm and I actually think I might, afterall we do have butler and lee....
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
12/11/2005  12:04 AM
I wouldn't.
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
12/11/2005  12:11 AM
This is great news, but unfortunately I don't think we have enough to get it done and a 3-way would never work b/c most teams even with really good SF's would still want Ronnie.

Sad but true.

And Ronnie would be the missing piece too.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
12/11/2005  12:40 AM
Posted by Caseloads:

but, BUT, Artest WOULD be the best scorer, defender, PLAYER on the Knicks.

maybe for now, but definately not in the long run.

jaydh
12/11/2005  12:40 AM
Posted by SlimPack:

hey I was just wondering. would you guys include frye in a trade for artest if need be? theres a thread similar to this on realgm and I actually think I might, afterall we do have butler and lee....

not a chance
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/11/2005  12:52 AM
AD, Lee, and Ariza for Artest and Bender. That saves the Pacers about $60 mil after the luxury tax and gives them two nice young prospects.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 12-11-2005 12:54 AM]
jaydh
12/11/2005  1:01 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

AD, Lee, and Ariza for Artest and Bender. That saves the Pacers about $60 mil after the luxury tax and gives them two nice young prospects.

i think they could get more for Artest.
Knight
Member: #968
12/11/2005  1:03 AM
Artest is truly a head case, I don't think the Pacers will get as much for him as everyone thinks they will.
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
12/11/2005  1:25 AM
Oh good good. Get him to NY asap. I don't care how, just do it.
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
12/11/2005  1:37 AM
if zeke could pull artest to ny, knick fans would go wild. why? with star, brown and now artest, zeke promotes ny. artest would be good for star's ego and vise versa.

btw, artest is just the enforcer brown needs. keep it city and watch what happens.

this is the kind of pandora's box you wanna release
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
EwingsGlass
Member: #893
USA
12/11/2005  1:41 AM
Artest decreased the likelihood of being traded to a Westcoast team. But the Pacers are in a win now mindset, so 'young talent' doesn't seem to apply, quite frankly. I can see the Cavs offering Hughes and Gooden for Artest, which is more than we could possibly give them which would help solidify their chances of winning now. Problem is that I do not want Artest and Marbury on the same team. If we could move Marbs to a third team and manage to get Artest, I would be happy.

This is the Randle.
jaydh
12/11/2005  1:43 AM
Posted by EwingsGlass:

Artest decreased the likelihood of being traded to a Westcoast team. But the Pacers are in a win now mindset, so 'young talent' doesn't seem to apply, quite frankly. I can see the Cavs offering Hughes and Gooden for Artest, which is more than we could possibly give them which would help solidify their chances of winning now. Problem is that I do not want Artest and Marbury on the same team. If we could move Marbs to a third team and manage to get Artest, I would be happy.

why wouldnt you want marbs and artest on the team at once?

NotFrye
Member: #935
12/11/2005  1:48 AM
Indiana Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's
19.4 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 2.2 apg in 37.8 minutes

Austin Croshere
6-10 PF from Providence
8.4 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.1 apg in 27.2 minutes
Incoming

Stephon Marbury
6-2 PG from Georgia Tech
18.5 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 6.5 apg in 39.6 minutes
Change in team outlook: -9.3 ppg, -7.8 rpg, and +3.2 apg.

New York Trade Breakdown
Outgoing

Stephon Marbury
6-2 PG from Georgia Tech
18.5 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 6.5 apg in 39.6 minutes
Incoming

Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's
19.4 ppg, 4.9 rpg, 2.2 apg in 37.8 minutes

Austin Croshere
6-10 PF from Providence
8.4 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.1 apg in 27.2 minutes
Change in team outlook: +9.3 ppg, +7.8 rpg, and -3.2 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to Indiana and New York being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Indiana and New York had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID
Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario. The Trade ID for this scenario is 2695828.

Do the right thing Zeke.

[Edited by - notfrye on 12-11-2005 01:50 AM]
artest demands trade...wants ny

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy