Topic LOCKED
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/5/2005  3:35 PM
Another Q for Knicks?
posted: Monday, December 5, 2005

Qyntel Woods is in line to become Larry Brown's newest reclamation project.

The New York Knicks were trying to bring Woods into Seattle for a workout Monday, and if all went well they were expected to sign him as their newest small forward, three sources told ESPN.com.

A roster spot opened over the weekend when Matt Barnes, the opening night starter at small forward, was waived unexpectedly at the conclusion of practice Saturday.

The Knicks discussed free agents George Lynch and Darvin Ham before ultimately deciding to take a closer look at Woods, a 24-year-old who spent 2 1-2 seasons in Portland before being waived and then signed by Miami. He played in only three games for the Heat last season, then was traded to Boston as part of the largest trade in NBA history, a five-team, 13-player deal in which Jason Williams, James Posey and Antoine Walker joined the Heat.

Woods was released on the first day of training camp by the Celtics, who never had any interest in keeping the 6-8 forward on the active roster. Woods, who was included in the five-team deal in order for the salaries to match under NBA trade guidelines, is earning a guaranteed $745,000 this season from Boston.

Brown did not give a detailed explanation Sunday when questioned by reporters regarding the sudden departure of Barnes, who started in five of his six appearances for New York and averaged 4.3 points on 37 percent shooting with 4.0 rebounds. One source said Barnes was somewhat of a loner in a locker room where camaraderie is one of the intangibles Brown is trying to develop.

The open roster spot also would allow the Knicks to make a 2-for-1 trade, but any such deal is unlikely prior to Dec. 15 _ the date players who signed over the summer become trade-eligible.

In the meantime, the Knicks will have a chance to take a closer look at an athletic player chosen 21st overall in the 2002 draft. New York president Isiah Thomas has made signed somewhat similar players during his tenure with the Knicks, signing DerMarr Johnson in 2003-04 and Jermaine Jackson last season.

Woods was released by the Trail Blazers after he was investigated in a dog-fighting case. He had reportedly been working out in Cleveland during the first month of the season waiting for a team to call.
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
12/5/2005  3:42 PM
if we sign him, that makes nate, lee, frye, curry, jackie, craw, ariza, q, and qyntel as the 25 and under squad. that's NINE players on the roster. WOW. we got two dogs left in penny and AD. one guy that can help in malik and possibly james. trade fodder in mo. and one guy in his prime in marbury.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/5/2005  3:44 PM
Probably a better use of the final roster spot than Barnes was.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/5/2005  3:44 PM
Q Woods? Two dogs?

Q: Who left the dogs out?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
12/5/2005  3:53 PM
I wonder if the Knicks would give him a 10-day contract or a guaranteed contract for the league min for the rest of the season or use the LLE on him. It would obviously be preferable to save the LLE to extend Butler or Ariza. Can 10-day contracts be given this early in the season? It might take more to get Qyntel anyway.
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
12/5/2005  3:53 PM
this COULD help give us a bigger wing to guard the Pierces and Davises of the world, but I doubt he'll ever reach his potential. Kid has all sorts of screws loose.

Also, I would never trust anyone who would hurt a dog.
¿ △ ?
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
12/5/2005  3:54 PM
Ya wtf.

What a thug bastard.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
JayNYC
Member: #682
USA
12/5/2005  3:57 PM
Not for nothing, I kinda like this move... When he was in the draft, the Tracy McGrady comparisons were drawn. We obviously know that those comparisons were off a bit. Nonetheless, he can fill it up.. this guy is young and is fearless. I dunno why he hasn't been successful thus far in the league... could be because he hasn't had the opportunity to really play? I hope he is not a head case tho.. I heard about the "Dro" incident, but a lil bit of bud ain't hurt nobody Anyway, what's to lose? If he doesn't work here under LB then cut him!

[Edited by - JayNYC on 12-05-2005 3:59 PM]
Inhale deep like the words of my breath/ I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death-- Circa 1994 Nasty Nas: NY State of Mind
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
12/5/2005  4:00 PM
Im not too enthuses, the heat and the celtics both rejected this guy, I hope zeke knows what hes doing
Silverfuel
Member: #268
USA
12/5/2005  4:02 PM
Posted by SlimPack:

Im not too enthuses, the heat and the celtics both rejected this guy, I hope zeke knows what hes doing
same..not surpised (in a good way) at all.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Pete99
Member: #1047

12/5/2005  4:05 PM
Q has had time to recollect himself and "grow up" so perhaps Zeke is finding him at a good time.
boomann
Alba Posts: 26
Member: #938
USA
hmmmm....for some reason I don't beleve espn
"We need another shot blocker and we need more girth in the middle, once that happens we have a chance to be a pretty decent team" Isiah on draft night
djsunyc
NBA Comparison: Tracy McGrady

Strengths: (Based on hearsay) Possibly the most talented prospect in the entire 2002 NBA Draft if he declares. Has skills that are unteachable. Part of the new breed of NBA players, of the Tracy McGrady, multi-skilled, ultra athletic types. A do it all player. One NBA insider I spoke to said he will be a top 3 pick and may end up the best player in the entire draft class.Comparing him to McGrady, he probably isn't the run jump athlete but his handle and shot are better. More importantly, "He's a good kid. I've met him and talked with his family, and he may not have taken the usual course to the NBA, but he's a good kid." Very versatile, extremely skilled wing player, with great size and quickness. Can handle the basketball extremely well at 6-9, scores with a variety of moves to the basket, and has a nice shooting stroke. Explosive player with very good scoring ability.

Weaknesses: The Juco stigma. Kedrick Brown paved the way, jumping from a Juco player to being a lottery pick. However, he has had a slow start in Boston struggling for minutes. There will be no shortage of NBA scouts following Woods development this season.

Recruiting analyst Bob Gibbons says that some pro scouts are calling him another Tracy McGrady.

Here's what Gibbons had to say about Woods:
A team that may surprise a lot of people is Memphis. They've got the best juco player in the country in this Qyntel Woods (6-8, NE Mississippi JC). Talking to NBA scouts that have been to see him, they think he's Tracy McGrady. He can play point guard, second guard, small forward. I've talked to three NBA scouts that have been down there and they say if he comes out he would be taken among the top two or three picks. Of course, for (John) Calipari -- who's already lost Amare Stoudemire (6-10, Orlando), who will definitely go pro -- the challenge is to keep Woods by saying, "I can get you better prepared to go to NBA."
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
12/5/2005  4:11 PM
Went and looked at his pre-draft scouting report:

http://nbadraft.net/profiles/qyntelwoods.htm

Strengths: (Based on hearsay) Possibly the most talented prospect in the entire 2002 NBA Draft if he declares. Has skills that are unteachable. Part of the new breed of NBA players, of the Tracy McGrady, multi-skilled, ultra athletic types. A do it all player. One NBA insider I spoke to said he will be a top 3 pick and may end up the best player in the entire draft class.Comparing him to McGrady, he probably isn't the run jump athlete but his handle and shot are better. More importantly, "He's a good kid. I've met him and talked with his family, and he may not have taken the usual course to the NBA, but he's a good kid." Very versatile, extremely skilled wing player, with great size and quickness. Can handle the basketball extremely well at 6-9, scores with a variety of moves to the basket, and has a nice shooting stroke. Explosive player with very good scoring ability.

Weaknesses: The Juco stigma. Kedrick Brown paved the way, jumping from a Juco player to being a lottery pick. However, he has had a slow start in Boston struggling for minutes. There will be no shortage of NBA scouts following Woods development this season.

HoopsHype had this to say about him after his trade to the Celtics:

Very talented...Outstanding athleticism...Very versatile...Can handle the ball and shoot it well...Can play some point...Defense still needs work...Has some baggage.
DarkKnicks
Member: #882
Spain
I would be very happy if Woods is the surprise!
NotFrye
Member: #935
Why was he cut?
bobs3304
Member: #948
12/5/2005  4:22 PM
B/c he beats dogs.
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
12/5/2005  4:23 PM
Is this definite news?
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
NYKniCksFan87
Member: #700
12/5/2005  4:24 PM
You guys i predicted this last night and look i was right..before anyone said anything i was the 1st one to say it was him

i would definately look at Rodney white...u know who elsecomes to mind

Qyntel Woods..he never got a chance to play anywhere...

^^ i said that in the LB got a suprise thread

[Edited by - nyknicksfan87 on 12-05-2005 4:26 PM]
''We don't have the luxury to take anybody lightly,'' New York's Quentin Richardson said. ''We're not that good.''
Pete99
Member: #1047

12/5/2005  4:27 PM
NYKnicks, congrats, you won the lottery. Now don't start pretending you've got an inside source, hehe.

I am curious to see what that dog-fighting case was all about. Did he really fight a dog or let his dog fight another dog? It could be he was released due to the Blazers trying to clean up their image.
Page 1 of 8  1  2  3 NextLast »
Topic LOCKED
surprise could be qyntel

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy