i have no idea what position frye plays
Author Thread
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
12/5/2005  2:04 PM
Posted by Bippity10:

I actually never mentioned the game yesterday so keep me out of that argument. My point is that if Channing is going to play C/PF he needs to box out AND REBOUND. I think it's a fair criticism seeing as he says the same thing. Mabye he's just a hater as well.

Sorry, I didn't realize you meant the whole season.

Okay, how's this on the season: the Knicks are outrebounding their opponents by an average of 43.1rpg to 40.0rpg. Rebounding is not the problem. Turnovers are a major problem and AD is a black hole in that regard.

I swear, AD is the major part of what is wrong with this team. He sucks.
¿ △ ?
AUTOADVERT
PhilinLA
Member: #696
12/5/2005  2:16 PM
Aguirre said something interesting about Frye last week. He said they were developing his outside game before his inside game and that he would be a complete player eventually. I don't really know why there are "two phases" to the way they are going to work with him, but that's what the coach said.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
12/5/2005  2:17 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Bippity10:

I actually never mentioned the game yesterday so keep me out of that argument. My point is that if Channing is going to play C/PF he needs to box out AND REBOUND. I think it's a fair criticism seeing as he says the same thing. Mabye he's just a hater as well.

Sorry, I didn't realize you meant the whole season.

Okay, how's this on the season: the Knicks are outrebounding their opponents by an average of 43.1rpg to 40.0rpg. Rebounding is not the problem. Turnovers are a major problem and AD is a black hole in that regard.

I swear, AD is the major part of what is wrong with this team. He sucks.

But how do you reallyfeel about Antonio Davis
This is the Randle.
crzymdups
USA
12/5/2005  2:18 PM
I would change my sig to "AD sucks" but I'm trying to maintain some optimism here. If he keeps playing though, I may be forced to.
¿ △ ?
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/5/2005  2:22 PM
Posted by PhilinLA:

Aguirre said something interesting about Frye last week. He said they were developing his outside game before his inside game and that he would be a complete player eventually. I don't really know why there are "two phases" to the way they are going to work with him, but that's what the coach said.

inside moves probably take more work and his outside game is probably harder to take away and easier for him to get during the course of the game.
Bippity10
Member: #574
12/5/2005  2:25 PM
and that's exactly why I'm so optimistic about our team once Channing does start rebounding. We will kill people on the boards. To me the discussion is about whether Channing rebounds not whether the Knicks do. At this point he is an average rebounder that needs to improve. Seeing as he has admitted it 5 or 6 times this season(as have the coach's) not sure where I'm wrong but I guess we can disagree on this.
I just hope that people will like me
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
12/5/2005  2:26 PM
if Frye's numbers hold up, he would be averaging 9 boards in 36 minutes- not quite as great as kurt thomas, but respectable if he is giving us 18 or 20+ pts a night.
TLover
Member: #381
USA
12/5/2005  2:32 PM
I believe the best compliment to Frye at the 4 is Davis Lee at the 3.
This guy is a very good rebounder and a very good passer who can handle the ball.

Next game against Seattle I'd like to see Lee defend Rashard Lewis.

Line up:

Pg: Marbury, Nate
Sg: Q, Crawford
Sf: Lee, Ariza
Pf: Frye, Butler, Rose
C: Curry, JJ, Davis

Inactive: Penny, Mo T
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
12/5/2005  2:39 PM
Posted by franco12:

if Frye's numbers hold up, he would be averaging 9 boards in 36 minutes- not quite as great as kurt thomas, but respectable if he is giving us 18 or 20+ pts a night.

It's Frye, people (and I won't bother to name them) have this thing against him. I mean the guy was named the NBA rookie of the month, he is only behind Chris Paul who everyone projected to have the best impact. I mean the guy is the main reason why the Knicks are able to make a run in the 4th. If Frye gets you more rebounding he would be and should be considered an all-star for pete's sake. Q is giving the ball up to him because he is so scared to shoot. To be fair I been monitoring the NBA forum and I don't see criticism for some of these other guys who many on this forum projected to have higher ceilings.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
12/5/2005  2:49 PM
I've said over and over again how Frye is my new fav player along with Jamal, but Bip and Briggs are 100% correct when it comes to his rebounding. Yes, he's boxing out, but he has to also go up and get it. He totally has all the physicaly tools to be a very good rebounder. Heck, he grabbed 11 against Webber, Dalembert, Stephen Hunter and Andre Iguadala the other night and had 8 against the Bulls. He just needs to toughen up and act like he wants to bite someones head off when he grabs those boards, and I've seen him do it plenty. I LOVE when he rips down a rebound and has the look on his face like he's gonna go on a killing spree. And I loved that 4th quarter against the Bulls when he started manhandling all of them, going after those offensive boards with wreckless adandon. I'd rather see him start doing that and pick up some fouls then see him watching other guys grab boards, b/c he's smart enough to learn to get away from the fouls while playing aggresive at the same time.

As for his scoring: I kind of disagree with Briggs on one thing. I know you see him taking a ton of jumpshots (Rightfully so) but I think he has been mixing it up a lot. He cuts to the basket a heck of a lot and he's posting up a little. He's not doing it all the time, but he's still doing it. Should he do it more? Yes of course, that goes without saying. But I don't think he's anywhere near a 1 dimensional scorer. If that's not what you're implying, I apologize. But he is getting to the free throw line a heck of a lot lately, and that counts for something, and he's hitting them.

I think you're underrating his defense too, but of course it needs some work!

But note to Channing: REBOUND THE F**KING Orange Pumpkin!!! Squash the mother F**KER!!!!!!
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
12/5/2005  3:02 PM
Frye's NOT a bad rebounder. 9 rbs per 40 min is NOT bad. He IS an inconsistent rebounder who has some bad rebounding games (which are fresh in our memories right now). I'd love to see him be more consistent, but the idea that you need a 7' SF to compensate for Frye's 9 rb per 40 is puzzling. Most PFs by that standard would need 7' SFs.
Bippity10
12/5/2005  3:03 PM
What I like about him is that he has the build where he can put on some muscle and you know with his work ethic he probably will. He has acknowledged that he needs to get tougher and that's what I like about him.
crzymdups
USA
12/5/2005  3:07 PM
Posted by Bippity10:

and that's exactly why I'm so optimistic about our team once Channing does start rebounding. We will kill people on the boards. To me the discussion is about whether Channing rebounds not whether the Knicks do. At this point he is an average rebounder that needs to improve. Seeing as he has admitted it 5 or 6 times this season(as have the coach's) not sure where I'm wrong but I guess we can disagree on this.

Well, the thing I love about Frye is he has this arrogance/pride in him that most of the great superstars have. When people questioned him about Nate dunking on him in college (after a whistle was blown by the way, how many times have we seen Nate dunk after the whistle?), he got very pissed. Same with when people asked him about Zo swatting his own dunk attempt. He has a healthy pride in how he plays. I'm sure he WANTS to go out and get 15 rebs, but to intimate that that's the problem with team is off base. AD is the problem. I'm not sure if it would make a difference if Frye got 20 rebs a game with the way AD is playing.

¿ △ ?
Bonn1997
USA
12/5/2005  3:09 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by Bippity10:

Well, the thing I love about Frye is he has this arrogance/pride in him that most of the great superstars have. When people questioned him about Nate dunking on him in college (after a whistle was blown by the way, how many times have we seen Nate dunk after the whistle?), he got very pissed. Same with when people asked him about Zo swatting his own dunk attempt. He has a healthy pride in how he plays. I'm sure he WANTS to go out and get 15 rebs, but to intimate that that's the problem with team is off base. AD is the problem. I'm not sure if it would make a difference if Frye got 20 rebs a game with the way AD is playing.
AD is NOT the problem; Larry is the problem for playing AD. The only thing I can think of is that they're trying to push up the trade value of his expiring contract by showing that he can still be a servicable 5/5 player. Either that or Brown is clueless.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 12-05-2005 3:10 PM]
Bippity10
12/5/2005  3:20 PM
I agree with you Brown is clueless....Bring in a new coach.

I think Brown is not concerned with wins and losses at this point. He doesn't care about being the 8th seed. He cares about improving and winning a title in the long run. Until guys show consistency he is going to stick with guys that show consistency of effort. As bad as AD is, you can't deny that he plays hard. The message is, if you want AD to go to the bench TAKE HIS JOB. This can be proven by the increase in minutes that Frye/Butler have gotten over the past few games. You will see this continue to evolve as the season goes on. Now it's someone else's turn to step up. Curry???? James??????Anyone???? This early season is more about lessons than winning. As we can see.
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
12/5/2005  3:27 PM
Posted by Bippity10:

I agree with you Brown is clueless....Bring in a new coach.

I think Brown is not concerned with wins and losses at this point. He doesn't care about being the 8th seed. He cares about improving and winning a title in the long run. Until guys show consistency he is going to stick with guys that show consistency of effort. As bad as AD is, you can't deny that he plays hard. The message is, if you want AD to go to the bench TAKE HIS JOB. This can be proven by the increase in minutes that Frye/Butler have gotten over the past few games. You will see this continue to evolve as the season goes on. Now it's someone else's turn to step up. Curry???? James??????Anyone???? This early season is more about lessons than winning. As we can see.

But I can deny that AD is playing hard. I watch times when he is glued to floor. For all the gripe everyone gives James. I give him this, he whacks people. AD watches as guys blow by him. James is foul prone and still out of shape but he will whack you to let you know he is on the opposition. AD takes minutes off. Maybe he is timing but that is where the Knicks get it handed to them.

[Edited by - pharzeone on 12-05-2005 3:28 PM]
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
Bonn1997
USA
12/5/2005  3:28 PM
I agree with you Brown is clueless
You're certainly NOT agreeing with me; I never said that was my position.
Your theory makes some sense but I'd certainly expect David Lee to get more playing time (at least one 8 min stretch per game) if Larry were so concerned about rewarding players who play hard.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
12/5/2005  3:31 PM
If I am the Knicks I dont push Frye's buttons too much. Hey.. he's essentially giving us 20 points off the bench and shooting > 50%

Grow on that. Keep finding new and inventive ways to get him more shots. There's something he does exceptionally well. Better than veterans. So build on that and take it to new levels. Then when he's got a role work on rebounding and shotblocking, etc.

I think a big part of the problem this year so far is LB has us so focused on what we dont do well we arent doing enough of what we DO do well.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
crzymdups
USA
12/5/2005  3:52 PM
I think a big part of the problem this year so far is LB has us so focused on what we dont do well we arent doing enough of what we DO do well

Well, AD certainly plays like doo doo.
¿ △ ?
Bippity10
12/5/2005  3:53 PM
Fish I agree with you to a point. But when I look at a team like this we have absolutely no concept of how to play basketball. We are learning but at this point the idiocy on the court is spellbinding. I think he's just trying to tear it down and then build it up.

Bonn: If James and Curry step it up you will see less and less of AD. For the time being you will continue to see AD and spurts of Malik. You will be frustrated by their play but the young guys won't get significant minutes until they clearly earn it. At this point Ad has not earned it based on this year. But based on his career body of work he has earned it over the others in the front court. Hopefully time will move him out, but in the short run you will have to continue to deal with it.

David Lee: I like his effort on the court and I wish I could see him more. But unfortunately there are too many players ahead of him right now. I'm sure if he keeps playing hard you will see him slowly work his way into the rotation just like Sweetney did. Patience. We are rebuilding.
i have no idea what position frye plays

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy