Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
12/5/2005  12:02 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by bobs3304:

^ A loss is never 1 persons fault....

Unless that person is Jay Fealy...

watch AD more closely in the next game. He destroys anything this team is trying to do. Steph can't even drive effectively with him out there, because he clogs the paint. he is awful.

I noticed that too. AD looks ancient out there. He is tripping over himself alot too.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
AUTOADVERT
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
12/5/2005  12:08 PM
Posted by McK1:
Posted by Marv:

i think this is constructive criticism. people are noticing just how incredible this kid can be and want him to make the most of all his gifts.

yep cause there's a thin line between Rasheed Wallace and Mark Blount

Frye is ten times the player Mark Blount is. If you can't see that and enjoy the best rookie we've had since Ewing, I feel sorry for you.

¿ △ ?
McK1
Member: #964
12/5/2005  12:14 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by McK1:
Posted by Marv:

i think this is constructive criticism. people are noticing just how incredible this kid can be and want him to make the most of all his gifts.

Frye is ten times the player Mark Blount is. If you can't see that and enjoy the best rookie we've had since Ewing, I feel sorry for you.

guys careers aren't made in the first 15 games. If Frye doesn't continue to improve especially when it comes to post defense and boxing out and guys like Bosh Jefferson Krstic and Dalembert do, Frye could end up being about as impactful as a Mark Blount.

forecasting 101

[Edited by - McK1 on 12-05-2005 12:14 PM]
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Pharzeone
12/5/2005  12:19 PM
Yeah, I can't believe it is an issue but I think it is still a remiscent of the draft. If he start to improve his rebounding then it would be another issue. I mean the guy is rank #2 in ROY stats which is a far cry from what many predicted. Comparing him to other guys who were mentioned on this forum during the draft days, then Frye looks like the 2nd coming. Personally I don't want him to go crazy worrying about rebounding. He is needed on the floor. And if your SF isn't going to score he better as hell rebound or do something to justify his presence.
crzymdups
USA
12/5/2005  12:24 PM
Posted by McK1:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by McK1:
Posted by Marv:

guys careers aren't made in the first 15 games. If Frye doesn't continue to improve especially when it comes to post defense and boxing out and guys like Bosh Jefferson Krstic and Dalembert do, Frye could end up being about as impactful as a Mark Blount.

forecasting 101

[Edited by - McK1 on 12-05-2005 12:14 PM]

Who has taken advantage of Frye? Did you notice that Sheed only had 3pts against primarily Frye in Detroit? The next night Sheed had 25pts. So where exactly are you getting this idea that Frye is bad on defense?

Maybe you should take Watching Basketball 101 next...
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
12/5/2005  12:26 PM

Player 48-Minute Production by Position
Position FGA eFG% FTA iFG Reb Ast T/O Blk PF Pts PER*
PG
SG
SF
PF 22.1 0.667 12.3 55% 2.5 0.0 0.0 0.0 4.9 41.7 35.5
C 20.8 0.509 6.8 28% 10.5 2.0 2.5 1.5 5.9 26.8 21.8

Opponent Counterpart 48-Minute Production
PG
SG
SF
PF 7.4 0.667 0.0 33% 4.9 4.9 0.0 4.9 4.9 9.8 16.4
C 8.9 0.500 4.6 53% 10.7 1.5 3.8 2.5 6.4 11.5 10.2

this doesn't code exactly right, but maybe you can get an idea of Frye's excellence on both offense and defense from his offensive/defensive PER. The league average PER is 15. If you scorer higher, you are above average, lower and you are below. Frye plays the majority of his minutes at C according to this and his offensive PER is 21.8 and his defensive PER is 10.2. That is excellent.

edit: by his defensive PER is 10.2, I mean his counterpoint only plays to a PER of 10.2, meaning his counterpoint is playing well below the league average.

http://www.82games.com/0506/05NYK14C.HTM

[Edited by - crzymdups on 12-05-2005 12:28 PM]

[Edited by - crzymdups on 12-05-2005 12:29 PM]
¿ △ ?
McK1
12/5/2005  12:33 PM
Sheed didn't and doesn't have to shoot for Detroit to win.

Frye's competition in the paint over the next 10 doesn't include Reasheed. Guys like Jefferson Bosh Krstic and Dalembert are. Those 4 who are all basically the same age as Frye bang in the paint. Frye doesn't. Last I checked, rodman does not play 3 nor does Ben Wallace play 4. Frye has AD now but his long-term sidekick is Eddy "Stay Puff" Curry. Frye's going to have to start banging.

basketball 457
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
McK1
12/5/2005  12:40 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

PG
SG
SF

PG
SG
SF

this doesn't code exactly right, but maybe you can get an idea of Frye's excellence on both offense and defense from his offensive/defensive PER. The league average PER is 15. If you scorer higher, you are above average, lower and you are below. Frye plays the majority of his minutes at C according to this and his offensive PER is 21.8 and his defensive PER is 10.2. That is excellent.

edit: by his defensive PER is 10.2, I mean his counterpoint only plays to a PER of 10.2, meaning his counterpoint is playing well below the league average.

what a slanted measure, there are how many guys who play a majority of the time at center who score. Camby, Shaq, Bosh, Gasol,Duncan , J O' Neal, Krstic 7 out of about 60 centers in the league are considered scorers and 1 has only played 2 games.

Frye's future is at the 4, thats the measure to observe.
crzymdups
USA
12/5/2005  12:40 PM
Posted by McK1:

Frye's competition in the paint over the next 10 doesn't include Reasheed. Guys like Jefferson Bosh Krstic and Dalembert are. Those 4 who are all basically the same age as Frye bang in the paint. Frye doesn't. Last I checked, rodman does not play 3 nor does Ben Wallace play 4. Frye has AD now but his long-term sidekick is Eddy "Stay Puff" Curry. Frye's going to have to start banging.

basketball 457

Yeah, yeah, great point, man. OH, wait, oops, too bad Dalembert tried guarding Frye and was ineffecitve and almost fouled out. OH wait, Sheed fouled out, too. Oh, hey, this is really strange, Tyson Chandler scored 0pts and fouled out against Frye too. Oh, WEIRD, Kendrick Perkins fouled out and Al Jefferson and Raef Lafrenz didn't do jack against Frye.

Dalembert does not bang in the paint. When Frye needed to take it inside against Chicago and Philly he backed his man down and scored.

And despite his horrid defense, I can't seem to find any big man who played well against him. And he has the best plus/minus on the team, and one of the best in the league.

You want to see poor interior defense? Check out Curry and AD. They both suck.

I think there still might be a seat left in Watching Basketball 101. You should check it out.
¿ △ ?
crzymdups
USA
12/5/2005  12:42 PM
Posted by McK1:

what a slanted measure, there are how many guys who play a majority of the time at center who score. Camby, Shaq, Bosh, Gasol,Duncan , J O' Neal, Krstic 7 out of about 60 centers in the league are considered scorers and 1 has only played 2 games.

Frye doesn't have to worry about matchup problems, teams have to figure out how to matchup with him. Per 48 minutes, he's outscored his man 27 to 10 this year. That figure includes your precious Dalembert and Sheed.

The problem with this team has nothing to do with Frye. Frye is part of the answer. PART. He's not the whole answer, but he's a damn good start.
¿ △ ?
Pharzeone
12/5/2005  12:47 PM
Posted by McK1:

basketball 457

In most cases he does have to shoot for that team to win. Another Brown weird rotation issues was in Game 7 when he got no output from the 4 spot without Sheed or McDyess in there and allowed Duncan to get himself in the game. Oh well that was debated. If you think AD is doing anything you are not clearly watching the game. Frye is doubled in the box area. If you notice last game, Frye actually played smart basketball, he tap the ball to his teammates when he was unable to grab the ball. He did that like 4 times, Breen mentioned it twice. That's when you know rebounding can be a faulty stat. I will say it again, if you go out and knock down your shot on the first attempt but another guy puts up a shot, he gets block, puts up another shot, he gets block again, and puts another shot and finally converts, please explain how he is more effective than the guy who converted is headed back up the court. Rebounding is a bad stat by itself. That's why I always check a player's FG% too.
Pharzeone
12/5/2005  12:55 PM
Posted by McK1:
Posted by crzymdups:

PG
SG
SF

PG
SG
SF

Duncan plays at the 4, Kristic now plays at the 4 spot with Jackson on the court, Gasol plays off the power center as well. I really don't understand your point. Most players now adays are asked to play a combo role except Shaq. Duncan hates when he plays the 5 spot because he is not as effective. Same with KG. Frye is more effective when he is playing the 5 without Curry or AD on the court because he is able to move in and out of the paint. With Curry and AD in there those guys stay in the paint. Don't even get me started on JJ. When he is at the 5 spot, he looks to bang alot more.
McK1
12/5/2005  1:09 PM
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by McK1:

basketball 457

Yeah, yeah, great point, man. OH, wait, oops, too bad Dalembert tried guarding Frye and was ineffecitve and almost fouled out. OH wait, Sheed fouled out, too. Oh, hey, this is really strange, Tyson Chandler scored 0pts and fouled out against Frye too. Oh, WEIRD, Kendrick Perkins fouled out and Al Jefferson and Raef Lafrenz didn't do jack against Frye.

Dalembert does not bang in the paint. When Frye needed to take it inside against Chicago and Philly he backed his man down and scored.

And despite his horrid defense, I can't seem to find any big man who played well against him. And he has the best plus/minus on the team, and one of the best in the league.

I think there still might be a seat left in Watching Basketball 101. You should check it out.

Dalembert was fresh off of an injury.

Don't recall what happened with Chandler, but I'll take your word for it. I do know 1 thing, Brown made sure he kept Frye off of Sweetney.

For all the hub-bub about Sheeds 3 points, the play that sticks out is how far Sheed pushed Channing under the rim when they were on the free-throw ine. Next time somebody from Detroit went, Larry Brown switchd the assignment.

As 4 the C's game:

Most of Perkins fouls were caused by switching on Marbury when NY ran pick and roll and bodying up Curry. Jefferson guarded the paint when C's went zone, also Butler and James in the post. They were rarely if ever guarding Frye.

I hope while you're in 101 they review several of your inaccuracies and don't let you pass until you clean them up.
Bippity10
Member: #574
12/5/2005  1:24 PM
Frye is going to be great for us, but the man needs to start rebounding. Even he admits it
I just hope that people will like me
crzymdups
USA
12/5/2005  1:26 PM
Bottom line, Frye is a unique talent and presents unique problems for the defense. He needs to work on rebounding, boxing out, and yes, I've noticed the free throw line situations, too. But he is an amazing offensive player and has been better than advertised on D. He alters a ton of shots, plays great man to man D and usually boxes his man out very well. It's no secret that our guards like Q, Nate and even Craw have helped a lot on the boards so far this year. Frye is creating those opportunities by taking his man out of the paint when he's on offense and by effectively boxing his man out when he's on D.

As far as man to man D, there hasn't been one big that's taken advantage of him yet. Sheed didn't do anything, and despite your claim that he doesn't need to score for them to win, he has been their third best scorer since he got there and has always been a go to guy for them. Chandler was taken out of the game by Frye. The Sixers big men could not matchup with him in any way shape or form. Joel Przybila couldn't matchup with Frye when he came to the Garden either (Frye didn't play much in Portland).

I really don't think you can say the reason we lost is Frye. Or that from what you've seen so far he doesn't bang in the paint. He takes it inside when he needs to and scores well. The only guy who has stopped him from scoring inside was Alonzo, who has clearly taken some sort of anti-aging drug. The Miami game was really the only game I was disappointed in Frye. He didn't have his outside game going, so he tried to take it inside and he got rejected by Zo a few times (he also got fouled a few times by Zo, but we didn't get any calls that game). Other than that, Frye has been superb.
¿ △ ?
Bippity10
12/5/2005  1:44 PM
It's not enough to just box out. Get the damn ball
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
12/5/2005  1:50 PM
Posted by Bippity10:

alot of times it is enough to just box out, its a big reason as to why q rich had such an abnormally high amount of rebounds. although in detroit is that ben wallace was not allowing frye to box him out. but usually his boxouts are effective. at this point i find Frye more similar to rachard lewis than tim duncan.

[Edited by - SlimPack on 12-05-2005 1:51 PM]
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/5/2005  1:51 PM
Posted by McK1:
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by McK1:

basketball 457

Dalembert was fresh off of an injury.

Don't recall what happened with Chandler, but I'll take your word for it. I do know 1 thing, Brown made sure he kept Frye off of Sweetney.

For all the hub-bub about Sheeds 3 points, the play that sticks out is how far Sheed pushed Channing under the rim when they were on the free-throw ine. Next time somebody from Detroit went, Larry Brown switchd the assignment.

As 4 the C's game:

Most of Perkins fouls were caused by switching on Marbury when NY ran pick and roll and bodying up Curry. Jefferson guarded the paint when C's went zone, also Butler and James in the post. They were rarely if ever guarding Frye.

I hope while you're in 101 they review several of your inaccuracies and don't let you pass until you clean them up.

actually it was ben wallace who pushed frye under the hoop. Rasheed didn't do anything vs frye, chandler was a wreck, and jefferson couldn't outplay jackie butler. But perkins got one foul on the perimeter against marbury, most of the big men from the celtics were getting foul trouble because they were getting beat on the boards, or couldn't guard the pick and roll, frye got fouled twice in a 1 minute span by the celts bigs...

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
crzymdups
USA
12/5/2005  1:53 PM
Posted by Bippity10:

Again: the Knicks outrebounded the Celtics 48 to 36. If you think rebounding is why we lost, you weren't watching AD closely enough.
¿ △ ?
Bippity10
12/5/2005  1:59 PM
I actually never mentioned the game yesterday so keep me out of that argument. My point is that if Channing is going to play C/PF he needs to box out AND REBOUND. I think it's a fair criticism seeing as he says the same thing. Mabye he's just a hater as well.
i have no idea what position frye plays

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy