[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

i have no idea what position frye plays
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/5/2005  10:44 AM
in fact i have no idea what player he even remotely reminds me of. kt was a jumpshooter but he also was a great rebounder. frye barely misses a shot--shows a three point shot that looks like he is shooting a free throw, but like college-and the soft moniker--sems to glide through the game without grabbing boards or making a defensive presence for his length. he stands to go down as one of the greatest if not the greatest jump shooting big man of all time--i mean look how good he is now, BUt how do you configure your team with him? Do we need a SF who can get 7 rebounds to compensate? Q-rich and ariza did a great job getting those boards, but ideally you want your PF grabbing 8-10 boards. He had no rebounds until one popped to where he was standing with like 8 minutes left in the game.
What he does, he does great, but he HAS to get a LOT better at other facets
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

12/5/2005  10:47 AM
yea but he has also had games where he rebounds fairly well, drives hard to the basket, and is really agressive... so i see a lot of hope for channing in all areas
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/5/2005  10:57 AM
i wonder what the team rebound efficientcy is when Frye is on the floor. Frye hasn't been putting up lots of numbers but it's not like the team is getting out-rebounded.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
12/5/2005  11:06 AM
frye spotting up for steph is a great play but he should follow steph to the rim too. that charging 6'11" body could be a great cutting target for a dish or clean up a miss. the guy's just too good an all-around player to be standing out there and popping exclusively. he should be posting up and he should be all over the offensive boards becsuse he is absolutey moeny from the free throw line. there's easily another 10 points a game for him if he goes after the rim.

and this isn't even mentioning what he could be doing on the defensive glass.
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
12/5/2005  11:18 AM
I'd just like to remind everyone that we outrebounded the Celtics 48 to 36 yesterday. Channing boxes out. He doesn't rebound particularly well, but he IS a pressence, had a huge block late and created space for Q to suck up 12 rebs.

The reason we lost is the reason we've lost at least 5 other games this year: this team can't keep digging itself out of the holes Antonio Davis creates. He is the worst offensive player I have ever seen. He is solid at defensive positioning, but he's not a particularly good defender. The Celtics were up 11-3 with him in the game in the first quarter, AD shoots 1 for 6 in that quarter. AD went out and we went on a 17-3 run. To start the third, AD comes out and picks up two fouls and a turnover. The Celtics go on a 9-0 run and set the tone as the more aggressive team for the second half. AD sits, but the damage is done. Obviously, that isn't the WHOLE reason we lost, but the team probably would have had a 20pt lead before the Celts made their run if AD hadn't been doing his thing so well. He sucks sucks sucks sucks. I almost had a heart attack when they announced Frye and Curry would start and then AD came out to start anyway. He sucks sucks sucks.
¿ △ ?
bobs3304
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #948
12/5/2005  11:20 AM
^ A loss is never 1 persons fault....

Unless that person is Jay Fealy...
DLee is the best thing to happen to NY in Isiah's 4 year tenure. And that alone, though a positive on the radar, is sad as hell.
McK1
Member: #964
12/5/2005  11:21 AM
Interior passing isn't Steph's strongsuit. Every alley-oop play and most of the dunks off penetration NY has are due to Crawford's passing skill.

If Steph is going to control the ball, Frye spotting up plays best to Steph's ability.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/5/2005  11:22 AM
Posted by martin:

i wonder what the team rebound efficientcy is when Frye is on the floor. Frye hasn't been putting up lots of numbers but it's not like the team is getting out-rebounded.

he does pull the other team's PF away from the basket, which leavues guys like ariza and Q to get some of those bounds. It almost sems like blastamy to say something critical of Frye, because hes been so good. Hopefully they can show him some positional techniques to get him into a consistent 7 a game.
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
USA
12/5/2005  11:23 AM
Posted by bobs3304:

^ A loss is never 1 persons fault....

Unless that person is Jay Fealy...

watch AD more closely in the next game. He destroys anything this team is trying to do. Steph can't even drive effectively with him out there, because he clogs the paint. he is awful.
¿ △ ?
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
12/5/2005  11:24 AM
No one will certainly mistake Frye for a good rebounder. However, the thing about yesterday's game was I noticed he was guarding the perimeter often, making it hard for him to be in position for defensive rebounds. When he was there for a defensive rebound, Richardson would rip it down first (notice how many rebounds Richardson had in the game).

I wouldn't go as far as saying he doesn't make a defensive presence. He doesn't block a lot of shots, but he certainly alters them. Plus, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the huge block Frye had in the last minute of the game.

He still has a ton of work to do, but I think people are overreacting a bit.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
crzymdups
USA
12/5/2005  11:32 AM
Frye was on Lafrenz, Lafrenz is SOLELY an outside shooter at this point.

Briggs, as for a comparison point for Frye, he may actually turn out to be the player people THOUGHT Lafrenz could be. He can take it inside pretty well and he's practically automatic from anywhere outside. He's a solid defender, but sort of a tweener between center and power forward. Not a prototypical PF/C, but one that you can win with. Heck, the Mavs figured out how to win with Dirk and Channing defends much better than Dirk.
¿ △ ?
Pete99
Member: #1047

12/5/2005  11:34 AM
It's not even been a whole season, he has plenty of time to learn new things.
McK1
12/5/2005  11:38 AM
Along with the all-world shooting from anywhere, Dirk can take the ball off the defensive board and push full court. Not hard to figure out how to win with him when your big man brings all that to the table.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/5/2005  11:39 AM
Dirk is a 7'0 shooting guard and moves like one

nothing similar
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
s3231
Member: #544
USA
12/5/2005  11:39 AM
Posted by crzymdups:

Frye was on Lafrenz, Lafrenz is SOLELY an outside shooter at this point.

Briggs, as for a comparison point for Frye, he may actually turn out to be the player people THOUGHT Lafrenz could be. He can take it inside pretty well and he's practically automatic from anywhere outside. He's a solid defender, but sort of a tweener between center and power forward. Not a prototypical PF/C, but one that you can win with. Heck, the Mavs figured out how to win with Dirk and Channing defends much better than Dirk.

Yep, I also noticed Frye switching to contest a couple of Pierce's shots so I'm surprised people are making such a big deal about this.

[Edited by - s3231 on 12-05-2005 11:42 AM]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
Pete99
Member: #1047

12/5/2005  11:49 AM
Posted by s3231:

I agree, give Frye a whole season before judging.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
12/5/2005  11:51 AM
i think this is constructive criticism. people are noticing just how incredible this kid can be and want him to make the most of all his gifts.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
12/5/2005  11:56 AM
I do remember that big block late in the game, but I also saw him boxing out a lot while other guys got boards, I think he will be a better rebounder than he has shown.... I would like him to use that jump hook more often..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
McK1
12/5/2005  11:56 AM
Posted by Marv:

i think this is constructive criticism. people are noticing just how incredible this kid can be and want him to make the most of all his gifts.

yep cause there's a thin line between Rasheed Wallace and Mark Blount
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
12/5/2005  11:58 AM
Posted by s3231:

No one will certainly mistake Frye for a good rebounder. However, the thing about yesterday's game was I noticed he was guarding the perimeter often, making it hard for him to be in position for defensive rebounds. When he was there for a defensive rebound, Richardson would rip it down first (notice how many rebounds Richardson had in the game).

I wouldn't go as far as saying he doesn't make a defensive presence. He doesn't block a lot of shots, but he certainly alters them. Plus, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the huge block Frye had in the last minute of the game.

I think he blocks more shots than he gets credit for actually. I watched and TIVO some of these games where you can see that he made contact with the ball but it was scored a block. I actually noticed that alot this season in other NBA games. I am not sure about this "he got a piece of it" thing is going but I guess you no longer get credit unless you smack it into the crowd and make a menacing grin. As far as his rebounding I think Frye biggest problem is that he double in the post. Funny so far in these games, Frye has been guarding guys who aren't really looking to score so much. Frye has to worry about scoring, and positioning himself. Also, the Knicks have been a perimeter team, so I would expect long rebounds.
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
i have no idea what position frye plays

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy