[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Layden Column
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
7/9/2002  7:54 PM
An article about Dolan/Layden written by yours truly.

http://www.allsports.com/nba/knicks/070902.html

TKel116@aol.com, hit me up, tell me what you think.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
Dan1078
Member: #283
7/10/2002  9:40 AM
Who wants to rebuild? Do you really think that Wilcox will ever
be as good as Mcdyess?

What are the Knicks going to do, tank the season and trade all their
good players for expiring contracts.

Then youre just tanking the season for guys that you might sign in the future.
BigSm00th
USA
7/10/2002  1:10 PM
I doubt Wilcox will be as good as McDyess, but did the Knicks draft Wilcox? No, they drafted Hilario, who does have the potential to be as good as McDyess.
#Knickstaps
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/10/2002  2:16 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I doubt Wilcox will be as good as McDyess, but did the Knicks draft Wilcox? No, they drafted Hilario, who does have the potential to be as good as McDyess.

These are some pretty strong statements. Care to back them up as to why you think so?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
7/10/2002  2:17 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by BigSm00th:

These are some pretty strong statements. Care to back them up as to why you think so?

Oh wait.... Or did you do so in the article.
<going to read article>
thomasdice
Member: #256
USA
7/10/2002  2:41 PM
yeah, and you know how many people thought eric montross was going to be a premiere center. there are no sure things with draft picks.

burnin down the house
talking heads
Jerome from Manhattan is my dad. Doris from Regal Park is my mother.
Dan1078
7/10/2002  2:42 PM
I was just thinking of a stud out of the draft that was attainable by the Knicks. Wilcox is going to be alot better than Hilario, but the chance that either will be as good as Mcdyess is slim.

All this 'win now' vs 'rebuild' talk doesn't really make any sense.

Regardless of which way the franchise could go, Layden made the better
decision of trading Nene (an unproven, very raw athlete) for Antonio.

Throw in that they got Frank Williams and another draft pick next year and it's a great trade.

The Knicks havent had as dominant of a big man since Bernard King.

You are over valuing Nene/Wilcox way too much. You are also using
the beaten to death cliche that the Knicks make all moves to win now.
martin
USA
7/10/2002  2:45 PM
Posted by Dan1078:

The Knicks havent had as dominant of a big man since Bernard King.

Patrick Ewing? Dang, is it *that* distant a memory?
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
7/10/2002  2:55 PM
I agree with Dan on this one...The 'Win Now' stigma has gone far enough - There's a certain burden that accompanies being the largest market on the planet - We're a terrorist's first option...that's bad...but we're also expected to win (even by rivals).

We don't have the cultural luxury that an Indiana or Sacramento has...We also have the money to spend...And we ALL like watching the Knicks in the Playoffs, win or lose...Spree vs. Carter in the first series was just Classic...As was Ewing/Mourning, as was Starks/Jordan, King/Bird, etc...

Only in the playoffs do we get our most precious memories, That's with or without a ring...

"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
alex4germany
Member: #282
7/10/2002  3:03 PM
Just imagine the team we have right now and a Patrick Ewing in his prime..... Wooooha! Dreamtime`s over.... I don`t think that we need an all star caliber point guard. A Center is what we need. A PG isn`t that important. Think about the Lakers.. where`s the all star point guard?? Think about the Spurs... where`s the all star point guard.... what about Sacramento.. where`s the all star point guard??? All we need is a PG who`s quick and has some defense. You don`t need someone who can dribble the ball through 5 players. My old coach always told me... passing is the quickest way to move the ball down the court.
"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)
Dan1078
7/10/2002  3:27 PM
Ok three things;

Yeah I didnt include Ewing. I was thinking forwards, so I mentioned King.

What the hell is cultural luxury and why do you say that Indiana and Sacramento have it?

The Lakers havent needed a great pt guard because they have the two best players in the game.

The Spurs have Tony Parker, who had a great year last year.

Sacramento?! They have a pg who is emerging as one of the best in the league.

I think that the Knicks have enough scoring with the big three.
They need a quick, smart pt guard who distributes the ball effectively. Any ideas who?
BigSm00th
USA
7/10/2002  5:58 PM
"These are some pretty strong statements. Care to back them up as to why you think so?"-Just a gut feeling, I think Hilario has greater potential.

"You are over valuing Nene/Wilcox way too much. You are also using
the beaten to death cliche that the Knicks make all moves to win now."-True, my bad.

"They need a quick, smart pt guard who distributes the ball effectively. Any ideas who?"-I would say Andre Miller but chances of acquiring him are pretty low. Williams was playing well, but that's against the lowest end of talent the NBA has to offer. I think Van Exel should be who the Knicks aim for because when his contract ends Williams might have developed in the smart, quick point who distributes the ball. Maybe if the Knicks traded for Nesterovic, they could use the exception on McInnis? I'm not sure, I think the VE tutoring Frankie would work best in the long run.

[Edited by - bigsm00th on 07/10/2002 18:05:32]
#Knickstaps
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
7/10/2002  11:16 PM
Great post DAN!!
I agree the win now cliche is overblown!! How do you call acquiring a 27 year old stud who isn't even in his prime, trying to win now, the knicks got a sleeper PG in the draft who still is very young and they got Denvers 2nd round pick next year which could be as high as #30.... When a young vet like Deyse comes along, you throw all else out the window and get him!! Period!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
7/11/2002  12:30 AM
To rebuild or not to rebuild - that is the question. It can be kind of interesting to watch young players develop. Then again, it can be very exciting to be in the playoffs with a chance to make it to the finals and get whipped by the Lakers.
Dan1078
7/11/2002  10:31 AM
It can be interesting watching young players develope, but that
should not be the focal point of the team.

I like where the Knicks are. They can watch Frank Williams improve,
but the franchise isnt depending on him.

As far as what Big Smooth is saying about pt guards, I don't know
who fit the mold of a pass-first, true pt.

I think, realistically, that the Knicks can get Van Exel via a trade
or could offer McInnis their exception, but they both have the shoot first mentality.

Some names I can think of are Brevin Knight, Eric Snow and Alvin Williams.

What about Damnon Stoudamire?
knixphan
Member: #258
Switzerland
7/11/2002  2:51 PM

Re: "What the hell is cultural luxury and why do you say that Indiana and Sacramento have it?"

I just meant that there is always going to be a modicum of patience during losing seasons that those fans are willing to exhibit...Include Utah as well. they don't have the 'center of the world' consciousness that New Yorkers have... How many other arenas boo their team during a loss as consistently as MSG? Our collective patience is practically nonexistent. I'll venture to say it's the FANS who propagate the 'win now' attitude as much as the Dolans...
"I will dress in bright and cheery colors, and so throw my enemies into confusion."
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
7/11/2002  3:18 PM
Okay Bigsmooth, you make a strong and valid case for Scott LayDown (glad you left that one out of the list! ), and all he needs to do is make 1 or 2 more good moves to actually gain the respect of those fans (myself included) who clearly remember his blunders of the recent past (most notably that $100 Million Capicide he committed re-signing Allan Houston)...

Oh, and Dan,
If Mighty Mouse's contract wasn't so fat, I'd be more willing to consider that option...
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Dan1078
7/11/2002  3:23 PM
Yeah, I understand what was meant by "cultural luxury" now.

I didnt realize Stoudamire's contract was so bloated.

McInnins does chuck the rock up alot, but I read that his assist to turnover ratio was one of the best in the league last year.

I think he can be had for part of the Knicks exception.

HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
7/11/2002  3:31 PM
BTW, I think we're gonna get Jerome James...
How much of the exception can Scott get him for?
Could we still get McInnis?

Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
BigSm00th
USA
7/11/2002  3:38 PM
That's what I was hoping, signing James and someone else with the exception. In Insider today they said the Knicks are still pursuing the VE deal, so obviously McInnis wouldn't be brought in if they did that. If they can only get one big man, and then get McInnis, they'd keep Thomas. Either way I'd be happy.
#Knickstaps
Layden Column

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy