[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Only Four More Games
Author Thread
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
12/4/2005  7:19 PM
LB told us all that this team was gonna take 20 games to really get going. That might have been Larry covering his behind, or it might have been a real prediction, coming from an experienced head coach, who knows what to expect and knows when to expect it.

We're 5-11, and I'll be damned if this isn't the best 5-11 I could have possibly imagined. More often than not, even after a loss, this team has shown some sign that they are trying hard to win. I don't think I'm making this up. This team has given more effort this year than last year. That's a really good sign. So while I was disgusted by another loss today, I feel the need to express my optimism.

Positives so far:

- The team plays harder. They defend better. They run plays better. They make more to effort attack. They settle for perimeter shots less.

- Marbury is trying his hardest since he's been here: Say what you will about him, he's trying hard. I can see the difference. You'd have to be blind to say the guy isn't doing some new things out there. He's made more defensive plays in the first 16 games this year than he did his previous 1 1/2 seasons with us. Today he stopped a Celtics 3 on 1 fast break by himself. Last year, he would have been sulking instead of coming back. He's taking three less shots per game. He's improved on rebounding. His composure (which in my opinion is his biggest weakness) is improving.

- Channing Frye is a contributor. Having an impact rookie for the second straight season is beyond my expectations. I don't want to take that for granted. He's shown more toughness than expected. He has a reliable jump shot. He's as fundamental as they come. He seems like a great guy and if that's accurate - then I'm sure he's a great teammate and good guy to have in the locker room. He's shown he can rebound, but what he has to do now is pull the boards with consistency.

- Jamal Crawford is shooting 4 less threes per game. He's shooting one more free throw per game. He drives to the basket more frequently. He has been effective despite playing 8 less minutes per game than last season. He has improved his attitude since being relegated to the bench. He seems coachable. His actions are showing that he's a team player.

- Trevor Ariza and Jackie Butler are the kids of the team. They have both made major impacts during crucial moments in games for us. They are earning LB's trust.

- Nate Robinson is being forced to make himself a real NBA player. He seems up to the challenge. He's made some bafflingly bad plays this season. Despite that, I can honestly say that I've never seen the kid give anything but max effort.

Negatives so far:

- Turnovers, slow starts, 3rd quarter play, clutch free throw shooting, composure.

- The vets (AD, Rose, Taylor, Penny). Most of these guys seem like they are almost done. You can expect an occasional contribution, but you can't rely on any of these guys for anything consistent.

- Eddy Curry hasn't made the expected impact. I can't judge him by today's game though. But even earlier this year, his post moves were reminiscent of a young Shaq. He just hasn't mastered the touch. I remember thinking Shaq would never go beyond being a close range scorer who dunks on everyone. Eventually, he came up with some ugly yet effective post moves. He even has a nice touch off the glass. Eddy needs to develop a baby jumper and a short range hook. If he doesn't, he's gonna continue to be an offensive foul machine. When a team knows that all you do is bulldoze your way to the basket, they just set their feet, fall down and let the refs do the rest. Can Eddy adjust? I see no reason to say he can't.

- Jerome James is pretty terrible, huh? Will he ever figure it out? I'm gonna get killed for saying this, but as terrible as he is now - with a few tweaks he could be serviceable as a back up. I just want to see him develop some better decision making. Everyone says he's coachable. Is he? WWLBD?

- David Lee is stuck on the bench. This is really too bad. I think he'll stick eventually though (hopefully sooner than later).

- Q-Rich is just not comfortable in the offense. I don't know what else to say about him. I felt like he could make an impact before seeing him play with us this year.

All in all, I see a way better Knick team today than I did at any time last year (yes, even when we were 16-13). That's enough for me to be happy with the squad. All I can base my hopes on is the improvement they've shown. I'd be upset if I felt that players were regressing, but they aren't. Aside from Q-Rich and Eddy, everyone is giving us basically what we would expect from them or in some cases more. And with that said, I'm not sure that Eddy has regressed. I think he's still very raw and these bumps in the road should have been foreseen.

This is the first young team the Knicks have put on the floor in over a decade and I love it. I have a feeling we're gonna see something special happen soon. After this west coast trip, we play 17 out of 25 games at home. All this team needs is a little momentum to get them rolling. All this team needs is 20 games together. Was Larry right? I f’n hope so… LET’S GO KNICKS!!!

[Edited by - eViL on 12-05-2005 12:54 AM]
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
AUTOADVERT
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
12/5/2005  12:15 AM
I totaly agree
Only Four More Games

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy