[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

LIVE from section 406...your su york knicks and MARV!!!!
Author Thread
BlueSeats
Alba Posts: 41
Member: #1024

12/5/2005  1:20 AM
Posted by eViL:
Posted by BlueSeats:

Now here, with sufficient time, Brown might be able to cause a transformation in Steph; but clearly the Olympics did not allow sufficient time for that.

That's all you had to say. Now you're making sense.

What did I say elsewhere that "didn't make sense"?
The rest of it is soap-opera BS. If I want stories intermingled with athletics, I'll watch wrestling. If you want to belive what you read in print - suit yourself. As much as Brown lobbied to have Marbury cut, he played the guy plenty of minutes. Who would Brown had played if Marbury was cut? And why didn't he play that person ahead of Steph anyway?

Dunno. My guess is they would have brought in a replacement to keep the roster full rather than just sending someone home with no one coming back.
As far as what I see on the court - Steph is changing before our very eyes. I'm not using each game as a barometer. I'm judging what I saw pre-LB and what I see now. There's a difference. You can't say Steph hasn't changed. And by adjusting his game, Steph is demonstrating that he's willing to try; he's demonstrating that he's coachable. Seeing a change in Steph is enough for me to be optimistic. Would a 10-Year vet that has severe clashes with his coach try so hard to adjust his game?

Great. And I don't know your history but I can tell you from other boards I've been on, my criticisms were always met with resistance and denial, and pretty much until LB was named coach and Steph admitted that Brown told him he saw him as a SG, i was told Steph didn't need to change squat in his game.

Meanwhile Brown assiduously tries to address most of my criticisms in Steph's game, and even his most ardent supports seem to approve of those changes, yet my criticisms are still addressed as some sort of quackery. It's pretty funny.
AUTOADVERT
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
12/5/2005  1:46 AM
Everyone's knock on Steph is that his dominance of the ball stagnates the teams offense. He's not a PG because he doesn't get everyone involved. He doesn't pass until late in the clock and this prevents the team from running a play with any sort of fluidity. He doesn't play defense. He's a stat whore. He's not a good teammate. He'd be better as a SG because another point guard would do a better job running the offense.

I believe that there's some truth to all of those criticisms.

I remember having a PG that didn't dominate the ball. He was a guy that passed early in the clock, played hard-nosed ball, played defense and was a great teammate. His name was Charlie Ward and everyone hated him. People dogged Ward to no end. People were begging for a PG who could break a defense down and get his teammates easy baskets.

Sometimes you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

For all the knocks on Marbs, he does a lot of things really well. He shoots a great percentage. He gets to the rim consistently. He draws fouls on opposing players. He plays a great pick and roll. He's capable of pushing the ball. He's durable. He breaks teams down and gets his teammates wide open looks.

And while I think the criticisms I listed above are all based on some degree of truth - I don't think it makes Marbury a dud. He's been running the team way better all season. He's getting the ball to his teammates earlier in the clock. I see him playing hard on D. I see him rebounding. I see him diving on the floor for loose balls. All of these things are uncharacteristic. I think he has it in him to change and take the next step.

My biggest problem with Marbury is his composure. He doesn't handle adversity well. This is where LB can help him the most. Brown isn't gonna help Marbury or the team by trying to turn the guy into something he is not (ie. Bob Cousy). Brown's job is to turn Marbury into a leader and if there's anyone that's up to the task it's LB. Once Marbury learns how to lead the team, he'll be composed and the team will be composed.

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me, is your reliance on all the media garbage in your judgment of Marbury. This is about basketball. We both watch the same games. Save the "he said, she said" crap for women (no offense ladies).

I'm not a stat guy, I'm not a rumor mill guy - I'm a basketball fan; specifically - a Knicks fan. Last season, when I would get done watching a Knicks loss, I'd be dissappointed. This year, when the team loses, there's something about the way that they play that makes me think that they are gonna put it all together eventually. I can sense their improvement. And Marbury's adjustments have been a part of that.

Read my quote - that's what it's all about.
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
BlueSeats
Alba Posts: 41
Member: #1024

12/5/2005  2:38 AM
Posted by eViL:

Everyone's knock on Steph is that his dominance of the ball stagnates the teams offense. He's not a PG because he doesn't get everyone involved. He doesn't pass until late in the clock and this prevents the team from running a play with any sort of fluidity. He doesn't play defense. He's a stat whore. He's not a good teammate. He'd be better as a SG because another point guard would do a better job running the offense.

I believe that there's some truth to all of those criticisms.

I remember having a PG that didn't dominate the ball. He was a guy that passed early in the clock, played hard-nosed ball, played defense and was a great teammate. His name was Charlie Ward and everyone hated him. People dogged Ward to no end. People were begging for a PG who could break a defense down and get his teammates easy baskets.

Sometimes you're damned if you do, damned if you don't.

For all the knocks on Marbs, he does a lot of things really well. He shoots a great percentage. He gets to the rim consistently. He draws fouls on opposing players. He plays a great pick and roll. He's capable of pushing the ball. He's durable. He breaks teams down and gets his teammates wide open looks.

And while I think the criticisms I listed above are all based on some degree of truth - I don't think it makes Marbury a dud. He's been running the team way better all season. He's getting the ball to his teammates earlier in the clock. I see him playing hard on D. I see him rebounding. I see him diving on the floor for loose balls. All of these things are uncharacteristic. I think he has it in him to change and take the next step.

My biggest problem with Marbury is his composure. He doesn't handle adversity well. This is where LB can help him the most. Brown isn't gonna help Marbury or the team by trying to turn the guy into something he is not (ie. Bob Cousy). Brown's job is to turn Marbury into a leader and if there's anyone that's up to the task it's LB. Once Marbury learns how to lead the team, he'll be composed and the team will be composed.

The only thing that doesn't make sense to me, is your reliance on all the media garbage in your judgment of Marbury. This is about basketball. We both watch the same games. Save the "he said, she said" crap for women (no offense ladies).

I'm not a stat guy, I'm not a rumor mill guy - I'm a basketball fan; specifically - a Knicks fan. Last season, when I would get done watching a Knicks loss, I'd be dissappointed. This year, when the team loses, there's something about the way that they play that makes me think that they are gonna put it all together eventually. I can sense their improvement. And Marbury's adjustments have been a part of that.

Read my quote - that's what it's all about.

Good post.

I believe our differences boil down to two things.

1) You don't appreciate that I backup my assertions with news reports. Sorry but I've been called a "liar" enough that I come prepared to backup my claims. I also don't just talk out my butt - or when i do I'll let you know that it's just my opinion.

But in no way should the historical record on Steph from coaches, teammates and GMs be considered soap opera or drama. It's merely the historical record, if it seems petty or overly dramatic that is the result of his own doings. He seems to have a knack for creating drama.

2) You seem convinced it will all work out with a happy ending. I'm not convinced it will or wont. I don't do a whole lot of future speculation, mostly I like to break down what I see. But the Steph supporters will take anything one has to say if it's followed with some sort of blue sky ending about how he's getting it, and it's all gonna come together and we'll be contenders sooner rather than later, and we'll all be thankful for Steph and Isiah.

Sorry, that's just not my style. I've been around too long to think that everything always works out like we want it to; that all potentials are fulfilled; and the Knicks we have some predetermined destiny for greatness on our side. I see us as a young team trying to shortcut a rebuild, built of high risk and unconventional talent, trying to improve, but also trying to keep pace with other improving teams in the league.

Anyway, it's late, I wont get into an extended ramble. Lets just accept that we're all entitled to like different types of players. I like Steph's penetrations, but little else. I think he's a better one-on-one player than team player. And he's disappointed me with his intensity level last year, his telling coaches to stuff their criticisms, his reputation for slacking in practice, and his always finding himself in the center of turmoil. he's got some degree of talent, but it's not worth it if it comes at the expense of chemistry and teamwork.

Maybe it will all turn out for the best. Time will tell...
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/5/2005  8:20 AM
Posted by Killa4luv:

I've just come to gruips that some posters here enjoy rooting against players on the team that they claim to like.

i can only speak for myself but it has NOTHING to do with rooting against certain players as it does about trying to do something with certain types of players. i'm 100% convinced that we CAN NOT try to build a winning team with our best scorer also be the guy depended upon to get everyone involved. i've said this many times, i think steph should be our SG b/c he can score on anybody and that's his main strength. but if we need a guy to get everyone involved, i'd rather have a more pass-first minded guard. this is not a knock on steph NOR am i rooting against him. he's played so hard and so tough this year and really has made strides but despite all that, i just don't think he's the right "FIT" for what our pg needs to do with this team. how can you root against him when he's leaving it all on the court, practically exhuasted?

i have ZERO problems moving him to the fulltime SG and let him go for his b/c that's what he does best. give me a pg that will look to always pass and be content with being the FIFTH option offensively and i think we can really start cooking on the offensive end. and this isn't about craw either b/c we don't know if he can run the offense better but we might as well give him a shot since we don't have another true/pure pg on our roster.

again, i can only speak for myself, but it's more a philosophical issue than anything else. iverson got to the finals b/c the team was built around his ability to score. and detroit, despite having a marbury-type player at the point, still moved the ball around b/c chauncy is not as good as marbury offensively so he HAD to give it up sooner. the rest of the teams had centers or jordan. if lb is trying to build a detroit type team, we need a less talented offensive player at PG b/c we'd be wasting him there. and that's what i think is going on with steph, we're not MAXIMIZING his strengths of scoring and that should be coming off the ball.
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
12/5/2005  8:31 AM
if lb is trying to build a detroit type team,

then Steve Mills & Dolan better find a way to pry Joe Dumars.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/5/2005  9:06 AM
Blue is right imho, there was not enought time to convert Marbs in the olympics. Was kinda silly to even try!

I think the team gets better almost weekly and in pockets does things very nice. Marbs is a part of it.

Yesterday was not his fault! The only thing I can fault him was he got tired and soft on defense. Not as soft a Pierce! BUt marbs got tired. Our need for a backup point is apparent. Marbs should not have to go 40 plus min! Craw kissing Marbs head was the cause for his minutes. Marbs knot was kinda tripping. Looked like he was trying to grow a 3rd eye. Maybe his queer eye? Imagine Sam I am (ugly) witha a third eye!

Hate to say it, but While I love nate, we don't need him. I'll take Q over nate short term. Im sure Nate will improve, but for now I think Craw is better. Im not sure I like the idea of a 5-9 shooting guard.

Isiah was right on trying to get James Jones from INdy. He is doing very well in PHX, but then if you can shoot, who does not do well!

I said a few days ago getting Curry and James in the flow would be disruptive. This does not mean we need to make 10 trades.

Frye rules!

My take on him not starting is we try to keep close with the vets. When they faulter, its alreayd well into the period. Now if frye were to start and pick up a few big fouls, we have to go the vet way anyway. Also the young legs are easier off the bench.

Was it me, or did MO. T. not get off the bench?

Yesterday sucked! ON the road again!

[Edited by - nalod on 12-05-2005 09:24 AM]
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
12/5/2005  9:22 AM
you guys are right tho. steph was really shorthanded yesterday as we didn't have craw and nate can't run the point. i think it's very easy for me to go at steph b/c it wasn't just about this one game but about using him as pg in general. yesterday's game was lost b/c of roster imbalance and our players not being as good as we think they are.
McK1
12/5/2005  11:02 AM
trying to prove he can score on Delonte West for the entire first-half is what tired Steph out so. When he really had no choice but to pass due to low energy, plays were ther to be made. If he passes more in the first half (which is what a point is supposed to be looking to do) instead of come down dribble then put his head down and barrell thru the lane, perhaps he has the energy to finish the game. Meanwhile the great Paul Pierce goes for 28 9 rebs 7 assts 5 stls and only 2 TO's and has the necessary energy to make plays for his team in the 2nd half as well as the first.

Frye is the future. He's also a self-starter and gets hot quick . Butler plods but is effective and keeps coming at folks. After NY went up 8, Steph kept gunning instead of heat checking any of his teammates. Looking to be the hero and win the game in 2 quarters is th kind of dumb soft play Steph has treated basket-ball fans to over the last 7-8 years of his career
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Knight
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #968
12/5/2005  11:06 AM
And if you want guys to move, make cuts, get open etc., you have to reward them for it by getting them the ball. If they feel out of the offense or that they won't get the ball, they won't do it. Same goes for defense--get guys touches on offense and their defense will pick up, they will start feeling good about themselves...common sense stuff here.
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
12/5/2005  11:08 AM
Posted by Knight:

And if you want guys to move, make cuts, get open etc., you have to reward them for it by getting them the ball. If they feel out of the offense or that they won't get the ball, they won't do it. Same goes for defense--get guys touches on offense and their defense will pick up, they will start feeling good about themselves...common sense stuff here.

but where's larry brown when it comes to this? why isn;'t he designing plays for them with movement and then making sure they run them during the games and making sure steph delivers to them?
McK1
12/5/2005  11:10 AM
prolly because movement aka reads comes off that first pass. but if steph doesn't come down and begin the play, the rest of the action is shot to ****.

[Edited by - McK1 on 12-05-2005 11:11 AM]
Knight
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #968
12/5/2005  11:13 AM
Posted by McK1:

prolly because movement aka reads comes off that first pass. but if steph doesn't come down and begin the play, the rest of the action is shot to ****.

That was Doc's analysis, he said Steph was clever to push the ball so he didn't have to set up the offense and play a way he is not comfortable with.
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
McK1
12/5/2005  11:17 AM
people want to ignore the point guards role in how everybody else plays. Oh nobody wasn't doing anything. Curiously in the 2nd half the ball moved and other people came alive.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/5/2005  12:06 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Knight:

but where's larry brown when it comes to this? why isn;'t he designing plays for them with movement and then making sure they run them during the games and making sure steph delivers to them?

injuries, rookies, new teammates, new system for everyone. I think Brown wanted to establish Curry early in the year and he was making good progress... and then he got hurt. Just remember the first half of the Detroit game. It was there and other guys were also making plays.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
12/5/2005  12:10 PM
Posted by martin:
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Knight:

injuries, rookies, new teammates, new system for everyone. I think Brown wanted to establish Curry early in the year and he was making good progress... and then he got hurt. Just remember the first half of the Detroit game. It was there and other guys were also making plays.

it absolutely was. and i also get a lousy feeling that it was there because curry wasn't playing. trying to establish him hasn't been such a boon to offensive flow.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/5/2005  12:15 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by martin:
Posted by Marv:
Posted by Knight:

it absolutely was. and i also get a lousy feeling that it was there because curry wasn't playing. trying to establish him hasn't been such a boon to offensive flow.

we all know that Curry was sitting for most of the Boston game cause he is out of shape but I wonder also if Brown pulled him cause he was trying to do too much by himself and not passing at all. He and Big Game are 2 of the biggest black holes this side of Pluto.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
LIVE from section 406...your su york knicks and MARV!!!!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy