Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/30/2005  9:42 AM
SWEETNEY 'HURT' BY TRADE

By MARC BERMAN
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Email Archives
Print Reprint

November 30, 2005 -- Michael Sweetney said he was "hurt" when the Knicks traded him to the Bulls, but understood Isiah Thomas' thinking.
Chicago's new starting power forward is a grinder, a ferocious offensive rebounder. But he'll never be able to make up for his lack of size for a big man.

"Eddy Curry is a 7-footer and the Knicks have been wanting a center for a long time," Sweetney told The Post in a phone interview from Chicago. "It's obvious I'm not a center. He's a heckuva player. His size will help the team a lot. I'm only 6-7, 6-8. You can't pass on that."

To date, Sweetney is having the better season than the main player he was traded for, averaging 11.5 points and 7.4 rebounds in 23 minutes. Just as Curry (12.6, 6.5) injured his strained calf last week, Sweetney was promoted. He's been starting the past four games heading into tonight's Garden return.

"Eighty percent of the games, he's been phenomenal," Larry Brown said. "He's a post presence, rebounds the ball."

Sweetney's doggedness under the boards made him popular at the Garden.

"It's crossed my mind when they call my name in the starting lineup if I'll be booed or cheered," Sweetney said.

The former Georgetown star, selected ninth in the 2003 NBA Draft by former GM Scott Layden, is not out to prove tonight that Thomas blew it.

"If you go in and do that, playing for personal reasons, then you're not trying to win the game," Sweetney said. "I'm just going to play basketball."

Weight was an issue when Sweetney arrived to Bulls training camp. Coach Scott Skiles said Sweetney had "ways to go" to get in shape, and the player took a subtle shot at the Knicks' conditioning program.

"It wasn't a serious weight issue," Sweetney said. "They wanted me to be in shape to play 30 minutes. I was in shape to play 15, 20."

After the charter plane landed at the Knicks' training camp home in Charleston, S.C., on Oct. 3, the eve of camp, Sweetney got a call from his agent that Thomas was finalizing the Curry trade. It became official that night.

"I was hurt," Sweetney said. "Nobody likes change. I was comfortable in New York. It was a big adjustment."

Before leaving Charleston, Thomas visited Sweetney's hotel room.

"He sat down and we had a talk, told me to go out and play hard," Sweetney said. "It was a nice conversation. It made me feel a lot better. He could've just sent me on my way."

------------------

I'm glad about that last part. Sweets was my favorite player for many of the same reasons Frye and Crawford are. They just go out and play and have a humble approach. Good to see Isiah showing he cares. We wont get Sweets back but if we ever could I would jump at the chance.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
SlimPack
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1009
USA
11/30/2005  9:50 AM
I think david lee can be sweetney's replacement.
fishmike
USA
11/30/2005  9:53 AM
not even close. I saw Sweet was a true back to the basket player who could really push guys around. Sweets is a much more skilled player around the basket. Lee's a better athlete but he hasnt been able to finish and I dont think I have even seen him attempt a jumper.
SlimPack
USA
11/30/2005  10:07 AM
Posted by fishmike:

not even close. I saw Sweet was a true back to the basket player who could really push guys around. Sweets is a much more skilled player around the basket. Lee's a better athlete but he hasnt been able to finish and I dont think I have even seen him attempt a jumper.

he has attempted and MADE two jumpers thank you very much, (at the LA game) your're right lee isnt currently more polished but I think he will be as polished as sweetney was after just 1 season, I honestly thing david lee has more potential than sweetney and you can quote me on that .

[Edited by - slimpack on 11-30-2005 10:40 AM]
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

11/30/2005  10:23 AM
Sweets just has to get in shape....regardless of his size or whatever...if the dude can get in shape to play starters minutes for a full season he will be a monster....same could be said of Eddy Curry.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
11/30/2005  10:29 AM
I think measuring this trade is pretty simple....We needed a Center....Chicago had a enter and needed a PF because they just signed Chandler as a C...Sweets can't play C, and we drafted Frye as a PF...it was a trade where both teams got what the needed... We got a 6-11, Sweetney and Chicag0 got a 6-8 Curry ( I hope you guys get the names and heights mixed up was done on purpose.)
~You can't run from who you are.~
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
11/30/2005  10:54 AM
way to go joe...they are almost mirror images of each other with the exception that Curry will be WAAAAAAAAY BETTER.

Just ask shaq.

[Edited by - rvhoss on 11-30-2005 10:55 AM]
all kool aid all the time.
fishmike
USA
11/30/2005  11:11 AM
I remember someone justified the JJ signing because we NEEDED a center.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/30/2005  11:17 AM
i could see isiah telling sweetney to go bust his ass in chicago and if it's possible, we'd bring him back in 07. he's a good kid and a solid player. and he was my favorite as well the past 2 years. but he's in a better situation now as we probably wouldn't have used him the way he should be.
joec32033
USA
11/30/2005  11:18 AM
Posted by fishmike:

At the time we had no centers so it was a logical move (I would've like Hunter better, but oh well)....

Bulls-2 centers no PF-----Knicks-2 PF's, 0 Centers.....logical move
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
11/30/2005  11:22 AM
yep, when we had no center, it was a perfect move.

Are you only this way after losses? You seem cheery after wins.
Posted by fishmike:

[Edited by - rvhoss on 11-30-2005 11:37 AM]
all kool aid all the time.
fishmike
USA
11/30/2005  11:41 AM
Posted by joec32033:
Posted by fishmike:

At the time we had no centers so it was a logical move (I would've like Hunter better, but oh well)....

Bulls-2 centers no PF-----Knicks-2 PF's, 0 Centers.....logical move
overpaying for bad players is never logical. Your right... Hunter would have been great. I think I was with you on that one 100% Good athletic and cheap solution. If it doesnt work out your not stuck with a 30 year old guy that cant get on the floor thats got a 5 year deal.

We need to get something out of him either for our own benefit or to be able to move him. I would like to see big snacks have some kind of impact here. Clearly Thanksgiving was a setback. We have to get him some floor burn before the Christmas hams come into season :)
joec32033
USA
11/30/2005  12:08 PM
I think that anytime you have a 7 footer who is an actual center the queston isn't if you can trade him but when will you trade him, especially to a team that needs something like that badly (such as Memphis). Don't forget just last year, Adonal freakin' Foyle got $64 mil. James deal isn't that bad...true 7 footers are almost MLE players by default in this day and age.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
11/30/2005  12:14 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:
Posted by rvhoss:

Posted by fishmike:

LOL! What was the example I used as an analogy. Signing JJ b/c we had no center is to being real hungry for steak, going to the store only to see they ran out of steak, so you get Tofu (Yeah yeah, go ahead health freaks, but you and I both know it's nasty). It was a bad signing in all avenues. You don't get a crappy player b/c you need someone who plays his position. Tell me, if there were a high school footer who was fat and slow but has blocked a shot or 2 in his day, would you get him? Yeah, this is almost the same exact situation, except only Big Gay is Old fat and slow, not youthful, fat and slow.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
joec32033
USA
11/30/2005  12:18 PM
Posted by Allanfan20:
Posted by Allanfan20:
Posted by rvhoss:

Posted by fishmike:

LOL! What was the example I used as an analogy. Signing JJ b/c we had no center is to being real hungry for steak, going to the store only to see they ran out of steak, so you get Tofu (Yeah yeah, go ahead health freaks, but you and I both know it's nasty). It was a bad signing in all avenues. You don't get a crappy player b/c you need someone who plays his position. Tell me, if there were a high school footer who was fat and slow but has blocked a shot or 2 in his day, would you get him? Yeah, this is almost the same exact situation, except only Big Gay is Old fat and slow, not youthful, fat and slow.

Good analogy, but the whole point is if you are dying of starvation, and you may want a steak, eating tofu will get the job done just the same. Remember, We were starving..we needed a center, it's not like we were shopping out of luxury.
SlimPack
USA
11/30/2005  12:18 PM
steven hunter only signed for 2.8 mill even if jerome james turns around averages something like 8 points 9 rebounds and 2 blocks a game, signing him was still a stupid idea becuase of his age. zeke fell for the ole michael olowokandi play well in the last year of the contract and then slack off after you get the new one trick, the best thing the knicks can do is cut their losses and move on.
joec32033
USA
11/30/2005  12:19 PM
Steven Hunter flat out rejected us because he didn't want to be here. We tried for him we couldn't make him sign with us.
fishmike
USA
11/30/2005  12:26 PM
Posted by joec32033:

Steven Hunter flat out rejected us because he didn't want to be here. We tried for him we couldn't make him sign with us.
which is fine. If Curry proves anything the moral of the story is no deal is better than bad deal. So you try for Diop, or Magloire or nothing. Just throw out Butler and Frye. Whats the worst that could happen? You go 4-9?

On one hand a group of posters says JJ was good because we NEEDED a center at the time. But they are the same ones that preach patience despite the losing. Why couldnt we have been patient with getting a center? If we were would have had Curry and Butler and been fine.

joec32033
USA
11/30/2005  12:34 PM
Throwing out Buter and Frye would've been a mistake. Butler can't even crack the rotation now as a backup, even though I still think he can have a promising career ahead of him, and Frye-even Zeke said it-is a PF.

I also wanted Diop but if I recall he flat out rejected us too (I think I am not too sure).

You can preach patience and still be ok with the James signing because noone else was going to sign with us and we needed a center. And we knew what role James would play. I personally wanted him to be a shotblocker and intimidator. No need to score too much and we all knew he wasn't a post prescence. Would I pay the MLE for someone to have a game (NOT STATS) similiar to Theo Ratliff...guard the basket be a prescence, and don't mes up the offense.
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
11/30/2005  12:40 PM
I like sweets, class act, good player, I wish him well...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
SWEETNEY 'HURT' BY TRADE

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy