[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

the best player we have is marbury
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/30/2005  1:20 AM
only an idiot would say otherwise. and anybody who doesn't want him to succeed here, especially being from nyc, would be an idiot also. but what would be a great story for him and our team doesn't mean it's going to actually happen. i think steph is starting to settle down into his role here but he does not really fit with our team nor does our team fit with him. why do i say this? b/c we're a team of young players. steph is in his prime right now and has played one way his entire career. can he change? sure, anybody can. but we're still a few years away with this young core, especially if we don't make a move for another "superstar"...which i don't think we will (or at least hope we don't). so, imho, steph is a good piece for the "now" but not the future. so i'd rather turn the page now and find our pg of the future. we can start by letting craw run it and see how he does. if he's not good for us, then we find one that is. it's not about craw vs. marbury, it's about finding out if craw can do the job.

steph, to me, should be playing sg alot more than he is. and craw, to me, should be playing pg alot more than he is. but they're not. why? i have no idea b/c when they do, the team plays alot better. and if we can see it, then lb can see it. so as my spidey sense starts tingling, i think something else is going on. what exactly that is, i don't know but q starting and abandoning the dual guard roles with steph and craw just seem a little weird.

i have nothing against steph as he is an awesome talent. but my frame of mind is to build a team for a nice 10 year run like we had with ewing. and when we have that team in place, i don't want it run by a 31 year old $20 mil player. i want our payroll to be pared down as well. we're really only going to go as far as frye and curry take us. and imho, they won't be ready for prime time for another 3 years at the earliest (if ever). it doesn't sound like that's so far way, nor does 31 years of age sound old, but with steph's physical play and his bulldog body, i have questions if his ankles can hold up then. so why not turn the page now?

i don't want to throw marbury under the bus...i just want to let him out of the bus a few stops earlier than you do.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 11-30-2005 01:22 AM]
AUTOADVERT
BlueSeats
Alba Posts: 41
Member: #1024

11/30/2005  1:40 AM
good post dj.

For me the point is threefold (I'm sure there are more if i really pressed myself):

a) I think it was you who said it, but so long as Steph is here it will be very hard for a true leader to emerge.

b) We're not going anywhere with Steph as our best player, so if by trading him we can situate ourselves better with regard to the draft or FA to give ourselves a shot at getting better than Steph, OR, if not 'better', a more complementary player for our team, then we should go for it.

c) I'm far from convinced that whatever Steph has done in his past to alienate teammates and hurt chemistry is fully in his past (in spite of purging the team of most, if not all, of his detractors; Kurt, Tim, KVH, Allan, JYD,,, who am I forgetting?). Fine, he's got tweener abilities, but is that worth the distraction?
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/30/2005  4:02 AM
In other words, the issues are:

1) Whether or not Steph can fully adapt to LB's system; and

2) Even if he can, will he still be their best player when and/or if the team becomes a legitimate championship contender.

fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/30/2005  7:39 AM
only because Tim Thomas hasnt come back yet
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
SlimPack
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1009
USA
11/30/2005  8:16 AM
I think steph COULD adjust to larry brown, but I just don't care if he can becuase I dont think he fits in with this team well either and his contract will just get harder to unload the more we keep him.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/30/2005  8:51 AM
I think Marbs can evolve and be a valuable piece of a TEAM. Not the focal point.

Sure he is set to make a mintful of money, but if he can just adjust we will be just fine!

it is proven under larry we need not have a superstar leader. Eddie might still grow into it, but my odds on favorite is Frye.

Lets not be so short sighted, this thing is gonna take 2 years at least to really gel.
SlimPack
USA
11/30/2005  9:42 AM
Posted by Nalod:

I think Marbs can evolve and be a valuable piece of a TEAM. Not the focal point.

Sure he is set to make a mintful of money, but if he can just adjust we will be just fine!

it is proven under larry we need not have a superstar leader. Eddie might still grow into it, but my odds on favorite is Frye.

Lets not be so short sighted, this thing is gonna take 2 years at least to really gel.

good point, only problem is by then stephon marbury will be making more money than shaq should we really be paying a "Valueable peice of a TEAM. not the vocal point." as you put it more money than the most dominant player ever. cuase i don't.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/30/2005  10:20 AM
Why do you care so much about how much players are paid? It's not like we're trying to get under the cap
djsunyc
11/30/2005  10:33 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Why do you care so much about how much players are paid? It's not like we're trying to get under the cap

why don't you?

SlimPack
USA
11/30/2005  10:53 AM
I care becuase it's insane to pay as much money as dolan pays for marbury, you may not see anything wrong with paying 240 million dollars for a .308 record will other teams like the memphis grizzles for example pay 134 million for a .643 record, but I do. I know its not my money but its a stupid thing to do and it hinders the teams ability to better itself.

[Edited by - slimpack on 11-30-2005 10:53 AM]
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
11/30/2005  10:58 AM
marbury's salary is paid with sell outs and merchandise.

Don't you worry your pretty little head about it.

Marbury gets shipped out of here and we aren't a championship contender, and it'll be back to the land of dolan.

Quick your bitchin and try to figure out ways to use marbury to our advantage.

Waxing poetic on ways he hurts the knicks is going to get very very old after the 40th game.

Someone let me know if I am out of line and that this is a bash the best player board and not the UltimateKnicks board.

Marbury has always been the ultimate knick and wherever he plays he will be paid too much.

But when he is head and shoulders the best and most complete player on his hometown team, it's more than worth the money.

have any of you been to a game at the garden?

Count the marbury jerseys and shut the phuck up.
all kool aid all the time.
rvhoss
Switzerland
11/30/2005  10:59 AM
btw..dj, nice long anti marb rant...it brought a tear to my ey..well, no, I stopped reading when I noticed you were gonna bash marbury.

maybe you should write a book. Oh, well, it'd only be long after losses.
SlimPack
USA
11/30/2005  11:09 AM
news flash, we arent a championship contendor WITH MARBURY. yes i know marbury is very popular in NY but I dont think he brings in an irreplaceable amount of revenue, look I'm not saying that marbury is the cancer thats ruining the team or anything or that he should even be traded before the season is out(but for the record I do beleive he should be traded after this season), but as of late I have been finding myself less and less convinced that he really makes the knicks a better team. like when brown said that he wanted to win( or something to that effect) when he was asked why he benched marbury in the 4th quarter of the denver game, and the lead was actually narrowed with him on the bench.also I remeber that game last season in cleveland when marbury was benched in the fourth quarter and we got an impressive road win without him(and at that time the cavs were in desperate need of a win becuase they were on the verge of being replaced by the nets as the 8th seed) also there were those rumors about his attitude, and the tiff with kurt(who last I checked is a pretty easy person to get along with) . I dont think the max payed players' impact on his team should be that ambiguous.

[Edited by - slimpack on 11-30-2005 11:12 AM]
djsunyc
11/30/2005  11:09 AM
Posted by rvhoss:

btw..dj, nice long anti marb rant...it brought a tear to my ey..well, no, I stopped reading when I noticed you were gonna bash marbury.

maybe you should write a book. Oh, well, it'd only be long after losses.

all i said is that i don't think marbury will be effective for us a few years from now so why not move him now when we can get something that can be a part of our long term future. it's not an anti-marb rant as i clearly said he's the best player on our team. and i understand the argument for keeping him as our pg now as well. it really is a wait and see but like i said before, i'm talking about 2007 and beyond. so it's a philosphical question for me. i'm a big "purge and delete" guy so, in my opinion, marbs isn't going to be the guy when we really are ready to conted and if that's the case, i don't want to be paying $20 mil a year for a player that's not going to be THE guy. how is that an anti-marbury rant? i probably would say the same thing about KG. he's getting alot of money and the franchise is crippled with awful contracts so they should move him also and try to replenish the talent base. will we or they ever get equal talent in return? probably not. but we do get some more flexibility by moving that big deal and may give us more chips down the road to use or move (i.e. draft picks/young players).
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/30/2005  11:12 AM
wow... you actually spent time and thought in a reply to that. Just so you know its not lost I read it
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
djsunyc
11/30/2005  11:13 AM
one thing i don't get is that allan houston was LAMBASTED for his $100 mil deal. people wanted that deal off our books as it was crippling - especially for a player that's really just a jumpshooter. but if you look at it, when h20 had to carry the franchise (02/03) - he carried them to a 37 win season. yet marbury, who gets similar dollars carried us to a 33 win season last year. what's the difference? i'm not trying to be malicious, just want to know what the difference is?
djsunyc
11/30/2005  11:14 AM
Posted by fishmike:

wow... you actually spent time and thought in a reply to that. Just so you know its not lost I read it

haha - just wanted to make sure that i didn't want to be labeled a marbury "hater" or anything like that. i have reasons for why i want to move him just like others have reasons to keep him. it's just that i know i'm right.

rvhoss
Switzerland
11/30/2005  11:29 AM

Sorry DJ, I'm usually into your posts, but I've had the flu and I was hoping to read a good pro marbs article, my disappointment led me to go nuts.

But there was no reason for Fish to attack me on two threads.

[Edited by - rvhoss on 11-30-2005 11:30 AM]
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/30/2005  11:32 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

one thing i don't get is that allan houston was LAMBASTED for his $100 mil deal. people wanted that deal off our books as it was crippling - especially for a player that's really just a jumpshooter. but if you look at it, when h20 had to carry the franchise (02/03) - he carried them to a 37 win season. yet marbury, who gets similar dollars carried us to a 33 win season last year. what's the difference? i'm not trying to be malicious, just want to know what the difference is?

Allan did not have Tatoos. They are cool.

Americans need to put a face on evil. once Layden was canned, we turned our affections on Allans contract.

Marbs was Isiahs doing, so he gets lots of love. We were so happy to have the best point in the game and the future was going to be so bright! Isiah was going to part the Hudson and lead us to the promise land!

Marbs is from Coney Island. Most NYers like Nathans hotdogs which are a staple of Coney Island!

Marbs is more NY. Allan was tall, handsome and had a pretty game. Marbs grinds it out, and has a funny big ole head! We take pity on him.

Marbs is not hurt and plays. God forbid a man get his contract honored while injured. If any of the posters here have disability insurance and got on Allan for not playing and getting paid you might want to cancel it.

Marbs is "cool" with a heavy streat cred. Allan is refined and smooth.
rvhoss
Switzerland
11/30/2005  11:34 AM
please knicks...WIN TONIGHT.

I need a good visit to UK.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy