[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Those Rockets want a Pick now too!?
Author Thread
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
8/16/2001  9:17 AM
Damn those rockets are greedy - they want a pick too for Rice when they only gave up Shandon Anderson!?
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/16/2001  9:28 AM
Greedy indeed. It was my understanding that the Knicks were going to pay for around $6M of Glen's contract and now this! Houston may be trying to turn a PR disaster around, well, Laydon and the rest should stop answering any phone calls from Houston.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
8/16/2001  9:34 AM
Posted by martin:

Greedy indeed. It was my understanding that the Knicks were going to pay for around $6M of Glen's contract and now this!

It is greedy. Rice got a $7M signing bonus when he signed his contract...that's why the Knicks end up paying alot of his contract.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Andrew
USA
8/16/2001  9:36 AM
I say that the Knicks tell Houston no deal if that is what they want. Rice played 70 something games for us last year. He can't have gotten that much worse.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Caseloads
8/16/2001  10:08 AM
Posted by Andrew:

I say that the Knicks tell Houston no deal if that is what they want. Rice played 70 something games for us last year. He can't have gotten that much worse.
Agreed, or in the rockets' case, A Greed!
nyknyg
Member: #77
USA
8/16/2001  11:32 AM
no way are they going to get a draft pick. the knicks don't really need the players, it'll just be akward for them to get rice back. besides, HOUSTON is the one that is lacking outside shooting (rice). Dallas wants to sign Tim Hardaway, so Dallas isn't going to let the deal fall apart. Dallas and Houston are the one that needs it (dumb Texans), so Dallas should give a pick or a player to houston damn it.
NyC, LeS NyG, NyK
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/16/2001  11:33 AM
I agree with you all too, but the fact is Rice can't come back to new york. After what he said about Spree and the knicks, a lot of feeling could have been hurt and both teams are ready to move on. Draft pick or no draft pick we still got a steal and got younger and more athletic. I say just give them a pick and we can figure out how to get one back later. Harrington, being the odd man out, could be sent somewhere for a future pick. Problem solved.
Andrew
USA
8/16/2001  12:43 PM
From Insider:

Now, the Rockets are just stalling. Or is it negotiating? After canceling a news conference Tuesday called to announce the arrival of Glen Rice, the Rockets finally got in touch with the Knicks again Wednesday night.

A source close to the Rockets told ESPN Insider that Houston is seeking more compensation for sending an overpaid Shandon Anderson to New York. According to the source, the Rockets are seeking a first-round draft pick as well as Rice to hedge their bets should he remain injured.

The request is an odd one, considering the Rockets knew of Rice's foot problems before the trade. But after a bit of public backlash in Houston, and with owner Les Alexander concerned that he's sending out healthy players in return for damaged goods, the Rockets have decided to play hard ball.

They may have the upper hand. The Rockets have until noon Friday to accept the trade. The Knicks don't want Rice back and the Mavericks definitely don't want Howard Eisley back. Should Houston fail Rice on his physical the deal would be dead, the Mavs would likely fail in their quest to add Tim Hardaway and the Knicks would find Rice virtually untradable. In other words, expect someone to bend in order keep this trade alive.

The New York Post is reporting today that the Knicks may be willing to send a conditional first-round pick to Houston. The pick would be conditioned on Rice missing a certain number of games this upcoming season.

There may be an even more nefarious reason for the delay. Alexander, according to a league source who wished to remain anonymous, is upset with Anderson's agent, Dan Fegan.

Fegan also represents Hakeem Olajuwon and another Rockets free agent, Moochie Norris. Fegan has played hard ball with the Rockets on both the Olajuwon and Anderson negotiations. According to the source, he's trying to high ball the Rockets on Norris as well, which may have prompted Alexander to use his best weapon available. If the Rockets nix the trade, Anderson loses out on his big payday.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
8/16/2001  1:02 PM
good posts and info, andrew, but the Rockets don't really have the upper hand. first they need a shooter since Bullard signed with charlotte, and they don't want to give anderson all of that money, so they could come away with nothing, which is fine with me. I would ive a 2nd round pick, but not a first. rice played in 70 plus games last year, thats a good indication that he can and is willing to play through pain, and with the operation and rest there is no reason why he shouldn't play a majority of the games.. 2nd round pick aor lets walk. i like the idea of NY not answering any phone calls from the Rockets..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Andrew
USA
8/16/2001  1:18 PM
Posted by tkf:

good posts and info, andrew, but the Rockets don't really have the upper hand. first they need a shooter since Bullard signed with charlotte, and they don't want to give anderson all of that money, so they could come away with nothing, which is fine with me. I would ive a 2nd round pick, but not a first. rice played in 70 plus games last year, thats a good indication that he can and is willing to play through pain, and with the operation and rest there is no reason why he shouldn't play a majority of the games.. 2nd round pick aor lets walk. i like the idea of NY not answering any phone calls from the Rockets..

I agree with you tkf. The Rockets made a huge mistake by renounceing Bullard before completing the Rice deal, or at least fully checking out Rice. They had 15 days in which to wait and see how things played out. Walt Williams (their other SF) isn't really usefull to them, and rumor had it he was going to Washington for White. It really leaves them with no one at the SF position. Layden has to stand tough and at most give them a second round pick.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/16/2001  1:22 PM
Posted by Andrew:

Layden has to stand tough and at most give them a second round pick.

Man, I hate it when we give up our second round picks. Gems like Chenowith just slip through our hands.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
vysions
Member: #39
USA
8/16/2001  1:38 PM
hmmm now there you have it. Give the Rockets Chenowith instead of a first rounder. Wow. They get a valid "Center" to play instead of
Hakeem and we solve the problem. hehe.
NYFAN4LIFE
Member: #65
USA
8/16/2001  2:26 PM
Posted by vysions:

hmmm now there you have it. Give the Rockets Chenowith instead of a first rounder. Wow. They get a valid "Center" to play instead of

hell no we sent them a 3 time all-star for anderson thats good enough.
Caseloads
8/16/2001  3:54 PM
Posted by NYFAN4LIFE:
Posted by vysions:

hell no we sent them a 3 time all-star for anderson thats good enough.
if Layden bends on this one, I'm going to be miffed. I think dallas should give up a first rounder to houston if anything.
Knixkik
USA
8/16/2001  9:10 PM
I don't care if we trade a pick i just want to get the deal done. We can't have Rice back in new york. Anderson and Eisley will help us much more and we can always find a way to get our future pick back. I'm getting kinda sick of this so just do the deal and call it a day.
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
8/16/2001  9:20 PM
Maybe we could throw in the much sought after "rights to Fredrick Weis"

Andrew
USA
8/16/2001  10:13 PM
Frederick Weis...you might as well throw in the rights to me.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Knixkik
USA
8/17/2001  11:14 AM
I wouldn't take Weis if i had to. I say just trade him to someone for a future second round pick. Thats sounds reasonable right? Then again...
Those Rockets want a Pick now too!?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy