Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
7/2/2002  1:59 PM
From ESPN Insider:

Will Baron rob the Hornets?

The Hornets, notorious for running the other way when their players become free agents, stepped up to the plate Monday and offered Baron Davis a six-ear, maximum-contract extension.

"The money speaks for itself," Bob Bass, Hornets executive vice president of basketball operations, told the New Orleans Times Picayune. "It shows the kind of commitment this team is making to New Orleans, trying to keep the players together and this team together.

"We offered the maximum contract, a six-year extension, at the maximum numbers that's available under the collective bargaining agreement."

But Davis' agent, Jerome Staley, says that Davis no longer wants to play for the Hornets. He's pushing for a trade to the Clippers or Knicks.

Right now the Hornets are taking a hard-line stance, saying they won't trade Davis, but evidence suggets otherwise. Clippers sources told Insider that they had a deal for Davis on the night of the draft, but Clipps owner Donald Sterling, not the Hornets, nixed the deal.

There has also been talk, over the last few days, of the Hornets, Clippers and Cavs doing a three-way deal that would send Andre Miller to New Orleans, Baron Davis to the Clippers and Darius Miles and Chris Wilcox to the Cavs.

If the Hornets and Davis don't come to an agreement, he'll become a restricted free agent next summer. That could pave the way for Davis to join the team of his choice. The Magic, Spurs, Wizards, Sonics, Nuggets, Heat, and Cavs will all have significant cap room next summer.
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
7/2/2002  2:15 PM
If there is a hoopsgod, and he likes the Knicks...

Please pretty please with sugar on top get us Bdiddy or 'Dre.
prowler
Member: #135
USA
7/2/2002  4:03 PM
I will join you in that prayer thus giving us a better chance of at least having it heard. Please bring us Baron 'Too Easy' Davis please. Stevie Franchise did cmon Baron come on over were waiting to go all the way.
knicker for life
prowler
Member: #135
USA
7/2/2002  4:06 PM
To clear up a mistake i was referring to the dilema Steve Francis put the the Grizzlies in. He sqeezed there n-ts for that trade.
knicker for life
VG
Member: #68
Australia
7/2/2002  8:19 PM
If he gets traded it'll be before the end of next season IMO. I don't think New Orleans would be stupid enough to let him walk for nothing. I could see them try to go after Elton Brand (since the Clips said they weren't going to pay him the max for some reason).
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
7/2/2002  8:43 PM
Sadly I think NY is his second choice....and a very slight possibilty. He attended UCLA if I'm not mistaken, and I would imagine he wants to go back to California.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
sandiegoknick
Member: #57
USA
7/2/2002  9:51 PM
Baron did go to UCLA and was great. I think he wants to go to the LA Clippers. Let's face it, they have much more to offer than we do. It's funny, every year at this time, we hear that everyone wants to go to NY and no one ever comes. We are capped out for years. We will never be able to get a big time free agent and we really don't have the players to do a sign and trade. In order to get Baron Davis or Andre Miller we will have to give up alot (and most teams don't want what we have to offer). Let's hope we get can get Clark (and we probably won't) or James. The bottom line is I would be shocked, but pleased, if we were able to get Davis or Miller, but the reality is that we will not.
Marvin "The Human Eraser" Webster
nyballer
Member: #108
USA
7/2/2002  10:38 PM
Posted by sandiegoknick:

Baron did go to UCLA and was great. I think he wants to go to the LA Clippers. Let's face it, they have much more to offer than we do. It's funny, every year at this time, we hear that everyone wants to go to NY and no one ever comes. We are capped out for years. We will never be able to get a big time free agent and we really don't have the players to do a sign and trade. In order to get Baron Davis or Andre Miller we will have to give up alot (and most teams don't want what we have to offer). Let's hope we get can get Clark (and we probably won't) or James. The bottom line is I would be shocked, but pleased, if we were able to get Davis or Miller, but the reality is that we will not.
Baron is using New York just like everybody else. The reason? This way the Hornets don't seem completely desperate in their efforts to move him and a trade is more likely. But you never know, he might be sincere, though it's not likely.
"easy like sunday morning..." - walt clyde
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
7/2/2002  10:51 PM
I think the best scenario is the Knicks signing two centers with the exception (James and Nesterovic), then signing Gatling with the veteran minimum. Therefore Thomas is expendable, Knicks package him with Ward, get Van Exel. When Van Exel's contract expires in a few yeras, then Williams takes over. Getting Davis or Miller I think would hurt them because of what they'd give up.
#Knickstaps
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
7/2/2002  11:52 PM
Posted by BigSm00th:

I think the best scenario is the Knicks signing two centers with the exception (James and Nesterovic), then signing Gatling with the veteran minimum. Therefore Thomas is expendable, Knicks package him with Ward, get Van Exel. When Van Exel's contract expires in a few yeras, then Williams takes over. Getting Davis or Miller I think would hurt them because of what they'd give up.

Thats the smartest thing I have read in a while, Baron is an awesome player but he isnt what NY needs - we need size, and with it we can eventually get a pg like van x who would be a fine fit to get this team rolling again. Baron would cost us way too much and wouldnt add what we NEED.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
ATLKnick
Member: #273
USA
7/3/2002  6:51 AM
I totally agree with the last 2 posts. We should concentrate on getting two big men and then try to unload as many bad contracts(i.e. Spoon, Anderson, Eisley, Knight) as we can for whatever we can get. It won't be easy, but hey, crazier things have happend. Also, if the Mavs really want KT then maybe we can force them to take a bad contract with him. Let's see what Williams can do before we rush to sign a high priced PG.
Old School Knick Fan
Offedge
Member: #280
7/3/2002  12:49 PM
Dont get me wrong, I love Spree, but for Baron, I'd trade Spree and KT in a heartbeat. Baron is a 24 yr old Superstar PG, where as, Spree is an aging SG (I rather trade Houston, but everybody knows why we can't) who plays out of position and KT is way over rated. PGs like Baron are rare, if the Knicks have a chance to get him and get younger , you do it, with out a doubt. Its always easier to replace a SF or PF.
Baron Wants NY or LAC

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy