OT - bulls have big plans for sweetney
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/9/2005  9:29 AM
Bulls have big plans for Sweetney

[published on Wed, Nov 9, 2005]

DEERFIELD – In Michael Sweetney, the Bulls hope they have a player who more or less can resemble Eddy Curry.

One shared trait became apparent last month, after Sweetney came from the New York Knicks in a trade for Curry.

Sweetney had issues with his conditioning, just as Curry did during portions of his career with the Bulls.

"We're both big guys," Sweetney said. "When you're a big guy, [weight management] is something that takes a lot of work."

The 6-foot-8, 270-pound Sweetney is steadily rounding into shape, and the Bulls, who host Golden State tonight, would like him to become a force in the low post.

Sweetney had the best game of his brief tenure with the Bulls two nights ago, when he scored 10 points and pulled down 13 rebounds in an overtime loss against San Antonio.

"It was no surprise to us that he came here and had some catching up to do with his conditioning," Bulls coach Scott Skiles said. "Quite honestly, I don't know if he was used to working the way we work."

Sweetney certainly made an effort to stay in shape during his two seasons in New York, but he said the Bulls "take it to a different level [in practice]."

Sweetney often is the last player off the court after practice. He does not stay late to do drills, but rather he rides a stationary bike over in the far corner.

The goal is to stay at his current weight, which is about 10 pounds lighter than he was at with the Knicks.

"I want [to develop] a little more quickness to go with my big frame," Sweetney said.

Sweetney is 3 inches shorter than Curry, but he is the closest thing the Bulls have to Curry as a legitimate low-post scorer. Tyson Chandler and Darius Songaila are not comfortable playing with their backs to the basket.

Sweetney even has drawn comparisons to Charles Barkley, but not necessarily for his skills.

"It's because of his [posterior]," said Bulls forward Othella Harrington, a fellow Georgetown University alumnus who has become a mentor to Sweetney. "I don't know if he can use it to his advantage the same way. We'll have to see, but he can do a lot of good things. He's got a lot of potential."

The Bulls think Sweetney is a better rebounder and defender than Curry, and hope he can consistently score in double figures.

Such an output would make the trade a winning proposition for the Bulls.

"Nobody should think we just gave away Eddy," Skiles said. "We got something in return."

By NICK HUT
nhut@nwherald.com
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/9/2005  9:36 AM
No problem witht that article other than the bulls touting there own conditioning program as superior. Granted, Eddie took it easy as not to get hurt this summer.

Same old same old, teams get new players and spin it with hope of a brighter future. They gotta talk him up to deflect Eddie. Remember they sold eddie for 4 years to the fans and can take heat if they don't do well. They gotta bury Gazy.

Sweets is a 13-8 guy but going 35 min a game with his build is not gonna happen. If he can, he might really get much better. He is very skilled and will have a nice career.
jazz74
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #371
11/9/2005  10:59 AM
i notice a lot of subtle verbal grenades being thrown back and forth from the new york and chicago organization. like when brown said he had to get " the chicago out of him" when refering to curry or skiles saying that sweetney never worked as hard as their program demands, could mean an interesting rivalry reemerging.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
11/9/2005  11:12 AM
Skiles and those bums in Chi-town can hype their program all they want. They may have a better system than Lenny and Herb, but they are fools if they think they prepare better than Larry Brown.

That article reeks of Chicago's desperate attempt to justify the Curry deal. So they got something back for Curry. Whoopee.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
11/9/2005  12:20 PM
First off, Sweetney is a fat-ass. So, yes, it's fair to say he wasn't properly conditioned here. The Bulls may have a tough training regimine. Curry may have been out of shape as a result of his heart issues. I'm not going to buy that the Knicks had a very difficult training regimine prior to LB arriving. If they did, Sweetney wouldn't have been a fat ass. I think the Knicks have had a breeze up until LBs arrival, at least since JVG leaving the Knicks. It's about time we have a coach who forces intense training and makes the guys get in shape. I think the Bulls already had that.
OT - bulls have big plans for sweetney

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy