[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

djsunyc's take on jamal...
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/8/2005  1:57 PM
he's not getting moved and he is being groomed to be the point guard and leader of this team. i think lb sees that potential in him. he's a better fit at point guard for us than marbury...he is. 20 & 8 from marbs, i know. but he's not built to play uptempo as the point guard. he would be so much more effective RECEIVING the ball out in front in an uptempo system. crawford has the handle to play that style. he's our best post-passer.

a simple backdoor cut by ariza and crawford found him for the dunk. david lee cuts into the lane and crawford hits him coming across. it's these passes that tell me that he should be running point for us, not marbury.

his #'s have been pretty bad so far this season but i think it's based on him being suddenly demoted and getting to his head. lb is tough on point guards and it takes time for them to adjust...and that's what we're seeing with crawford.

we saw it in preseason. he was the one running the team...and he did it effectively. he's the one feeding curry in the post and most importantly, he's making that first pass EARLY in the shot clock. craw and curry have chemistry and should be playing together. we haven't seen it yet but i feel that when we do, they're both going to be feeding off each other.

we've seen the potential this season. with him LEADING that 2nd unit, we've come back in games. he's going through growing pains but i can see it in him. his demeanor is different.

do you think marbury comes here if h20 was done in 03? i don't think so. isiah was trying to get craw back in 03. lb tried to get craw in philly. this is isiah's golden child, not marbury.

basketballwise - craw is only has about two years on frye, lee, and nate. he played 1 year of college, followed by 3 years with the bulls where he played for 3 different coaches and was not developed as a point guard.

does he have some and 1 in him? yes he does. but he has the tools to really be this team's chauncy.

we should not trade crawford and we should make a concerted effort for him to run the point soon. and i think we're going to see it as soon as wednesday night. he has a long way to go but i am not giving up on a 25 year old just yet. and if you want to be honest, he's more like 21 in terms of bball years.

crawford for earl + najera? NO THANKS. give them Q. we can replace him easier.

i think crawford has a KEY role on this team, not only now, but for a long time to come.

some of you probably think i'm crazy. and some of you can see it also. time will tell...
AUTOADVERT
Knight
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #968
11/8/2005  1:59 PM
Yes I think you're crazy.
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
efw
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1002

11/8/2005  2:01 PM
good post.

I agree that Crawford can be the PG for this team, he just is going to have to go through some massive growing pains.

I like this quote by LB from the journal news,
"Jamal is trying really hard to do everything right," Brown said. "He can't do that. I told him, 'You just gotta relax and play.' I still believe if you defend, run the floor and play with unbelievable effort, things will work out."
Knight
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #968
11/8/2005  2:03 PM
I think he can be a solid contributor but never the guy who takes a team far into the playoffs.
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/8/2005  2:09 PM
DJ,

Good take. I don't care who says what to the press, Isiah has Larrys back and these kids are gonna get it right! Isiah and Larry can do good cop, bad cop and massage their fragile Diva egos unitl they get it!
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
11/8/2005  2:11 PM
I've been thinking about this and I agree that Jamal should be starting. Whether he or Marbury are the PG, they should both start. Marbury needs someone who can pass and create off the dribble with him out there. Q should come off the bench at the 2 or start at the 3. Right now, I would start/backup like this:

Marbury/Nate
Crawford/Q
Ariza/Q/Lee
Frye/Lee/MoT
Curry/Frye/JJ/Jackie

I don't know why this is taking Larry so long.
¿ △ ?
djsunyc
11/8/2005  2:14 PM
Posted by efw:

good post.

I agree that Crawford can be the PG for this team, he just is going to have to go through some massive growing pains.

I like this quote by LB from the journal news,
"Jamal is trying really hard to do everything right," Brown said. "He can't do that. I told him, 'You just gotta relax and play.' I still believe if you defend, run the floor and play with unbelievable effort, things will work out."

the most critical quotes by LB have been directed to crawford and curry...and that's b/c he SEES the potential in them and KNOWS they are the future of this team (along with the rooks).

steph should only really handle the ball for pick and rolls as that's his bread and butter. but for the rest of the offense, dumping to the post, and the ball movement, it should start with crawford.
djsunyc
11/8/2005  2:16 PM
another thing about crawford...he was VERY instrumental in getting curry here. if we didn't have crawford, i GUARANTEE we don't have curry.
djsunyc
11/8/2005  2:20 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

I've been thinking about this and I agree that Jamal should be starting. Whether he or Marbury are the PG, they should both start. Marbury needs someone who can pass and create off the dribble with him out there. Q should come off the bench at the 2 or start at the 3. Right now, I would start/backup like this:

Marbury/Nate
Crawford/Q
Ariza/Q/Lee
Frye/Lee/MoT
Curry/Frye/JJ/Jackie

I don't know why this is taking Larry so long.

i think larry was giving the vets a reason to PLAY them. and they aren't giving him one. he put Q out there for 3 games and what does he show us? he showed us that he can't handle the ball nor pass it effectively. he puts in the vets at the end of game 3, and they blew it. he really has no reason to not play the young guys anymore and i think that last 2 games have solidified that. i don't think it's gonna take too much longer for lb to figure it out. look for some changes as soon as wednesday.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
11/8/2005  2:22 PM
DJ, I agree 100%. Currently, Steph is clearly the better point guard, but if you really believe that it's natural for Steph to be the distributer, then you're in lala land. He's a scorer, and that's how he is most effective. Craw is going through some major struggles, but I think he's just learning now, and eventually, you'll see him flourish. Also, in terms of his scoring, he's not jacking up nearly as many 3s. Most of his shots have been pretty solid, and he's penetrating more. He has the skills, and he really seems to be an intelligent guy. He just needs to see the court a little better. Is he a star? Probably not, but I think that once Larry pushes the guy enough, you definitely will see Jamal flourish under this system and play a similar role as Chauncey Billups.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
11/8/2005  2:56 PM
I'm in complete agreement, of the few nuggets LB has given to the press, the most telling was that there are no point and shooting guards in his system, two guards each for different situations.

I think Q will be moved to the 3 and Ariza will continue to come off the bench on this west coast swing. I hope.

But if Q goes to the bench, no worries there either...One is instant offense, the other is instant defensive effort.
all kool aid all the time.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
11/8/2005  4:23 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

another thing about crawford...he was VERY instrumental in getting curry here. if we didn't have crawford, i GUARANTEE we don't have curry.

Yeah, I had been saying that for a while. Its pretty obvious that if your best friend is playing on a team and it happens to be thee biggest market in basketball, and you ask for a trade, you will ask to be traded to that team.

I don't totally agree on your assessment of Craw's passing ability based on 2 backdoor cuts. Steph has also not played many minutes with the lineup that brought us those backdoor cuts.

The best pass of the season so far was the alley-oop from Fry to David Lee. THAT, was a thing of beauty.

They can't move craw because of Eddy, and the problem of getting equal value because his value is super low right now. I didn't take too much from those pre-season games because, well, it was preseason, and Craw is not a rookie.

And from what I saw Q handles the ball pretty well, i don't know what I'm seeing that you're not and vice versa.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/8/2005  4:39 PM
DJ, complete agreement. I hope Marb can transition to the 2 so Craw can start at the 1.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
USA
11/8/2005  4:44 PM
Larry is breaking it down into small increments of playing time and intensity. Roles, indentity and chemistry is being created.

These guys are used to being taken off the leash and yelled at to do it, but the minutes and money still come. That time is over. Larry is successful and generally lasts 4 years cuz after a while they want to kill him. this is very intense training. Repetition in small doses. Get it right over and over again, learn, do it again. Steph-Marbs are athletic stars who care less about fundamentals cuz they were able to get by, and succeed on raw athletic talent! ANd get paid millions.

The message Larry sent about Allan being the best player is Allan was the best fundamental player we had! Im not talking about what he did not do, but what he excelled at and what kept him on the court (when healthy). Allan did not posess the tools of Jamal or steph, but was a coaches son who learned early the fundamantals and mastered them. JOrdan took his raw talent and became superior because he put the two together.

The great ones do this, and the opportunity exists for Craw and Steph to do this. They are young enough. It prolongs careers and leads to a winning environment.

Jerome James Needs to adopt this, he said all the right things, but its evident he did not put in the time.

Professoinal basketball players is not an easy job, and some are in it to cash in and don't have their hearts in it. But Larry is either going to break these kids or they are so gone!
djsunyc
11/8/2005  4:46 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:

And from what I saw Q handles the ball pretty well, i don't know what I'm seeing that you're not and vice versa.

it's like when Q dribbles, nothing is happening. it's very reminicent of eisley. dribble dribble dribble dribble. and when he does dribble, it's to go for his. lb wants ball movement and he has seriously handcuffed marbury by putting him out there without any other ball handlers. so i think he needs craw out there just as much as craw needs to be out there. problem is, lb said he doesn't like Q at the 3 so he's probably gonna be moved to 6th man. and if they don't use Q in the post on the offensive end, then we really don't need his 3 point chucking. i like his rebounding tho so his advantage is at SG. this is where not having tim's skillset at the SF hurts us b/c he can handle the ball and keep it moving.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 11-08-2005 4:49 PM]
djsunyc
11/8/2005  4:49 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Larry is breaking it down into small increments of playing time and intensity. Roles, indentity and chemistry is being created.

These guys are used to being taken off the leash and yelled at to do it, but the minutes and money still come. That time is over. Larry is successful and generally lasts 4 years cuz after a while they want to kill him. this is very intense training. Repetition in small doses. Get it right over and over again, learn, do it again. Steph-Marbs are athletic stars who care less about fundamentals cuz they were able to get by, and succeed on raw athletic talent! ANd get paid millions.

The message Larry sent about Allan being the best player is Allan was the best fundamental player we had! Im not talking about what he did not do, but what he excelled at and what kept him on the court (when healthy). Allan did not posess the tools of Jamal or steph, but was a coaches son who learned early the fundamantals and mastered them. JOrdan took his raw talent and became superior because he put the two together.

The great ones do this, and the opportunity exists for Craw and Steph to do this. They are young enough. It prolongs careers and leads to a winning environment.

Jerome James Needs to adopt this, he said all the right things, but its evident he did not put in the time.

Professoinal basketball players is not an easy job, and some are in it to cash in and don't have their hearts in it. But Larry is either going to break these kids or they are so gone!

nalod AKA the zen master.
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
11/8/2005  4:52 PM
You guys are LOST!!!! What makes you think that if JC had shown any real improvement in playing the point that he'd be doing it already and not Steph. Steph has been playing the point for the majority of the time each game. The scheme doesn't call for STeph to be making as many direct passes that lead to a score, since he's giving up the ball much sooner and the ball is meant to move to several players before a shot is taken. This is going to naturally lower Stephs assist numbers. Just remember that Billups has only avg'd like 6 assists in LB's system.

Lets just be patient before we start to make to harsh a judgement on JC. Before the season LB had nothing but glowing things to say about Steph, so don't think he now hates him just because of a few comments in the paper. Steph has done what he's been asked and has been the most consistent player we've had. JC is the one who's looked lost.
Nalod
USA
11/8/2005  4:55 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by Nalod:

nalod AKA the zen master.

GLass hoppah.

djsunyc
11/8/2005  5:00 PM
Posted by nixluva:

You guys are LOST!!!! What makes you think that if JC had shown any real improvement in playing the point that he'd be doing it already and not Steph. Steph has been playing the point for the majority of the time each game. The scheme doesn't call for STeph to be making as many direct passes that lead to a score, since he's giving up the ball much sooner and the ball is meant to move to several players before a shot is taken. This is going to naturally lower Stephs assist numbers. Just remember that Billups has only avg'd like 6 assists in LB's system.

Lets just be patient before we start to make to harsh a judgement on JC. Before the season LB had nothing but glowing things to say about Steph, so don't think he now hates him just because of a few comments in the paper. Steph has done what he's been asked and has been the most consistent player we've had. JC is the one who's looked lost.

not once did i make this out to be something negative towards steph. i think steph is awesome but would THRIVE as the SG with us. all i'm saying is that with everyone talking about moving craw recently, i had to put in my 2 cents and say that i don't think he's going anywhere and he should be our starting PG. this is not a knock on steph at all.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/8/2005  5:16 PM
Posted by djsunyc:
Posted by nixluva:

not once did i make this out to be something negative towards steph. i think steph is awesome but would THRIVE as the SG with us. all i'm saying is that with everyone talking about moving craw recently, i had to put in my 2 cents and say that i don't think he's going anywhere and he should be our starting PG. this is not a knock on steph at all.

I think the anology about Brown turning Marb into a better PG ala Billups is a bad analogy with the Knicks. Billups HAD to become a better PG because Hamilton IS the best shooting guard. The Knicks don't have a Hamilton on the team to force Marbury to become the Billups type of PG. Craw is not Hamilton. This is more the AI to SG situation.

- Crawford brings the ball up the court MUCH faster than Marb.
- Crawford is a better ball handler than Marb.
- Marb is a better scorer and picks up more fouls than Crawford.
- Crawford moves the ball better than Marb.
- Crawford sets up other people MUCH better than Marbury.
- Crawford sees the court better than Marbury (notice how many alley-oops Marbury misses?)

As with the rest of the Vets, I think Q is getting minutes and killing himself. At the same time Brown is bringing Crawford in to the PG spot slowly and excruciatingly painfully. It'll also take Marbury's acceptance to the SG spot for this whole thing to work.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
djsunyc's take on jamal...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy