[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

MARBURY OFF THE BENCH????
Author Thread
SkyWalker
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #814
11/7/2005  3:58 PM
FROM REAL GM -
After sitting through the first two games of the Larry Brown era at Madison Square Garden, one thing has become clear about this Knicks club; standard rotations will not result in anything but the boos that were being spit down towards the bench and grazing the trinity of Donald Trump, Chris Rock, Howard Stern and their wives/girl friends/trophies on the way during their first quarter embarrassment on opening night.

Without question, things are different under LB than they were last year with Lenny Wilkens/Herb Williams. When players on the bench look over at him to see when he will call their number, there is a look in their eyes that you will see on any high school varsity team when a rookie junior or sophomore still feels lucky to get into the game.

Well, there are three rookies on the Knicks and though none should be starting, all will play big minutes this season. Anytime you have three rookies playing big minutes, standard practices of coaching need to be tossed aside. The luxury of the Detroit line-up and rotation that he Sharpee’d during his two seasons there is non-existent above Penn Station.

This will be LB’s biggest challenge of his career on purely a setting the line-up and rotations level.

Here is the one bold move that would get the Knicks an Atlantic Crown:

Bring Starbury off the bench.

Stephon Marbury is a terribly talented player, but he has become a terrible point guard. The underlying flaw of the Knicks is their ability to get easy shots, so the blame must be placed squarely on Marbury for this. On Sunday afternoon, Baron Davis played a very average game, but the difference between their worth as pure point guards was staggering. Sure, Davis only out-assisted Marbury 9-6, but I can attest to at least seven of the nine Davis assists as being easy buckets, whereas Marbury threw just two.

Starting Jamal Crawford in his stead will give real responsibility to a talented player that could use it and would surely cherish it. The bode of confidence would spark his play that needs a spark as he has become the lost man during the initial LB days.

The most important reason to bring Marbury off the bench is that it would make him a Ben Gordon super-sub and resuscitate his career from the brink. Before devising this scenario, I attempted to deal Marbury. I then looked at Trade Checker for all 29 other clubs and there isn’t a single team that would trade for him. Atlanta might have back in July, but they have Joe Johnson now. Mark Cuban is suddenly a little more fiscally conservative and the Heat are trying to do the 2003-2004 Lakers’ experiment.

With the deal Marbury option not an option, bringing him off the bench for Quentin Richardson would let him play the off-guard against a tired first unit and part of the second unit. His shooting percentage would undoubtedly increase and his overall feel for the game would come back.

His minutes per game wouldn’t decrease whatsoever and he would still be finishing games for the Knicks. It could become the equivalent of when Dennis Eckersley was converted into a closer after he became a totally useless starter, a shadow of his former self. The change in role, the change in mental outlook could be just what Marbury needs.

6-16 performances as he displayed on Sunday, which was actually a better game than Friday, won’t get the Knicks anywhere. We know that Marbury won't be going anywhere, so it is time for a big idea to salvage his career and maximize his talents.
Kenny SkyWalker
AUTOADVERT
NotFrye
Member: #935
11/7/2005  4:01 PM
You'd think Marbs was bangaranging this guy's girlfriend or something...

[Edited by - notfrye on 11-07-2005 4:10 PM]
CrashDMB237
Member: #759
11/7/2005  4:07 PM
I said this over on K4L too but... this article is awful. You'd think a "quality" site like RealGM would have someone at least copy edit their articles. I don't know who this guy is, but he can't be in college and if he is, he major obviously has nothing to do with media.
http://homeoftheknicks.com
SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
11/7/2005  5:30 PM
bringing marbury off the bench might be a good idea. but I dont think it is becuase marbury isnt as good a scorer as ben gordon.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
11/7/2005  5:37 PM
This is stupid. Marbury is NOT coming off the bench. There is no analogy between basketball players and closers in baseball. Baseball players cannot come back into the game once taken out. Anyway, you don't relegate your best hitter to the bench to bring him in pinch hitting situations at the end of games.

Anyway, the whole thing is ridiculous. If you don't think Marbury is starting quality (which he definitely is) then trade him to a team that does. He's worth a lot to a team that needs a point guard.

BTW, his endorsement of starting Crawford is sad: "a talented player that could use it and would surely cherish it. The bode of confidence would spark his play that needs a spark as he has become the lost man during the initial LB days." Give me a break. Players need to EARN starting. Not to be used as a confidence builder!

[Edited by - panos on 11-07-2005 7:36 PM]
mythfaze
Member: #106
11/7/2005  6:15 PM
Posted by CrashDMB237:

I said this over on K4L too but... this article is awful. You'd think a "quality" site like RealGM would have someone at least copy edit their articles. I don't know who this guy is, but he can't be in college and if he is, he major obviously has nothing to do with media.

Kinda harsh, don't you think? What is it about the article that makes you say all that?
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/7/2005  6:57 PM
dumb article....
The true Knickabocker..........
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/7/2005  7:09 PM
I'd bring Marbury off the bench if we had Kidd and Kobe on our team!
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/7/2005  8:09 PM
Whenever Marb speaks, the media tends to magnify what he says,,,,I wonder why.
The true Knickabocker..........
CrashDMB237
11/7/2005  8:36 PM
Posted by mythfaze:
Posted by CrashDMB237:

Kinda harsh, don't you think? What is it about the article that makes you say all that?

Maybe its just because I'm an editor of a newspaper and rip articles like this apart weekly, but I don't think its harsh. The dude obviously has never taken a writing for media course. Terrible comma usage, long sentences and just an overall bad format for a column. It's almost like he's trying too hard to come up with something clever in every paragraph (ie: trinity of Donald Trump, Chris Rock, Howard Stern... talking about high school players in the second, "Sharpee'd" and "above Penn Station" instead of "coached" and "MSG"). I don't want to turn this into a critique, but stuff like this drives me insane.
NotFrye
11/7/2005  8:38 PM
Posted by CrashDMB237:
Posted by mythfaze:
Posted by CrashDMB237:

Maybe its just because I'm an editor of a newspaper and rip articles like this apart weekly, but I don't think its harsh. The dude obviously has never taken a writing for media course. Terrible comma usage, long sentences and just an overall bad format for a column. It's almost like he's trying too hard to come up with something clever in every paragraph (ie: trinity of Donald Trump, Chris Rock, Howard Stern... talking about high school players in the second, "Sharpee'd" and "above Penn Station" instead of "coached" and "MSG"). I don't want to turn this into a critique, but stuff like this drives me insane.

Well hello mr. fancy pants
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
11/7/2005  8:54 PM
This thread is effin' hilarious.

Marbury will start.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Knight
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #968
11/7/2005  8:56 PM
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:

This thread is effin' hilarious.

Marbury will start.

I don't know, that article was pretty damn compelling.
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
CrashDMB237
11/7/2005  9:01 PM
Posted by NotFrye:
Posted by CrashDMB237:
Posted by mythfaze:
Posted by CrashDMB237:

I know, sorry, but he asked. Like I said I don't want to turn it into a critique, I was just responding to a post.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
11/7/2005  9:10 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I'd bring Marbury off the bench if we had Kidd and Kobe on our team!

Didn't you read the article? Marbury is a "terrible point guard". It's nice to have that clarified for us.
NotFrye
11/7/2005  9:21 PM
Posted by CrashDMB237:
Posted by NotFrye:
Posted by CrashDMB237:
Posted by mythfaze:
Posted by CrashDMB237:

I know, sorry, but he asked. Like I said I don't want to turn it into a critique, I was just responding to a post.

Sorry, I was just kidding ya . You make completely valid points in criticizing the article.

[Edited by - notfrye on 11-07-2005 9:24 PM]
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
11/7/2005  9:42 PM
"ludicris"
-- Mike Tyson, Brooklyn, NY
all kool aid all the time.
MARBURY OFF THE BENCH????

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy