[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

what is the status of our draft picks this season?
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/6/2005  7:50 PM
The Spurs and our own. Which (or both) did we give up in the Curry trade?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
s3231
Member: #544
USA
11/6/2005  8:11 PM
We gave up ours in the Bulls trade I believe while we still have the Spurs pick. We still also owe a pick to the Jazz from the Marbury trade.

[Edited by - s3231 on 11-06-2005 8:34 PM]
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
attaboy2005
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #992

11/6/2005  8:16 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/6/2005  8:24 PM
Posted by attaboy2005:

http://www.realgm.com/src_future_draftpicks.php
So we don't owe Chicago any draft picks? Or is that site just extremely behind?
s3231
Member: #544
USA
11/6/2005  8:34 PM
the site has to be behind
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/6/2005  8:54 PM
the chances of us having a pick in 2006 is ambiguous at best. it relies on spur failure to be a top 5 team. if we have the number 1 overall pick, chicago will be making that selection for themselves, same as 2007. The best case scenario is the Spurs come in as the worst 8th seed in the entire league which would leave us at 15. If the pick is between 25-30[spurs pick] it is conveyed to utah, which is probably the best thing. if not, we are open to give up a top lottery pick in each of 2006, 2007, 2008 depending on our record
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
11/6/2005  9:43 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

the chances of us having a pick in 2006 is ambiguous at best. it relies on spur failure to be a top 5 team. if we have the number 1 overall pick, chicago will be making that selection for themselves, same as 2007. The best case scenario is the Spurs come in as the worst 8th seed in the entire league which would leave us at 15. If the pick is between 25-30[spurs pick] it is conveyed to utah, which is probably the best thing. if not, we are open to give up a top lottery pick in each of 2006, 2007, 2008 depending on our record
You're forgetting that Isiah can buy picks (i.e., take back salary). We may not have a 1st rd pick line up right now, but Isiah decided to acquire three picks last year and had no difficulty. If he likes a few available players, I see no reason why he won't be able to do that again considering the financial flexibility he has.
I don't think drafting tons of young players this offseason is so crucial, though. What's really crucial is developing all the young players we have right now.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/6/2005  9:51 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by BRIGGS:

You're forgetting that Isiah can buy picks (i.e., take back salary). We may not have a 1st rd pick line up right now, but Isiah decided to acquire three picks last year and had no difficulty. If he likes a few available players, I see no reason why he won't be able to do that again considering the financial flexibility he has.
I don't think drafting tons of young players this offseason is so crucial, though. What's really crucial is developing all the young players we have right now.

hey Bonn, Marbury's contract will be an ending contract in 2009.
RIP Crushalot😞
Bonn1997
USA
11/6/2005  9:58 PM
With the way you degrade ending contracts, I assume you must have been devastated when ending contracts were used to get Eddy Curry and David Lee.
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
11/6/2005  10:03 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:

With the way you degrade ending contracts, I assume you must have been devastated when ending contracts were used to get Eddy Curry and David Lee.

Erm... didn't Nazr have a year left? Didn't we just swap TT and AD to make the dollars work, plus we wanted TT out that badly? I don't see either of those are ending contract uses.

If you had said that we used the enders to get Marbury or Crawford I would've agreed. :)
Bonn1997
USA
11/6/2005  10:12 PM
Posted by Solace:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Erm... didn't Nazr have a year left? Didn't we just swap TT and AD to make the dollars work, plus we wanted TT out that badly? I don't see either of those are ending contract uses.

If you had said that we used the enders to get Marbury or Crawford I would've agreed. :)
I guess it depends on the exact definition of "ending contracts"; Nazy's contract was ending a lot sooner than that of the player we acquired. The important thing is that it fits the general plan of getting nice talent by taking back salary. Whether you want to call Nazy's contract ending or still a few months away from the year in which it would be "ending" is a bit of a distinction without a difference (which I think you realized).

Didn't we just swap TT and AD to make the dollars work
"Ending" contracts give you a lot of flexibility. We obviously couldn't have pulled off this trade if we hadn't had TT (or maybe Penny's ending contract).

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 11-06-2005 10:12 PM]
Solace
Alba Posts: 20
Member: #479
USA
11/6/2005  10:16 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Solace:
Posted by Bonn1997:

I guess it depends on the exact definition of "ending contracts"; Nazy's contract was ending a lot sooner than that of the player we acquired. The important thing is that it fits the general plan of getting nice talent by taking back salary. Whether you want to call Nazy's contract ending or still a few months away from the year in which it would be "ending" is a bit of a distinction without a difference (which I think you realized).

Didn't we just swap TT and AD to make the dollars work
"Ending" contracts give you a lot of flexibility. We obviously couldn't have pulled off this trade if we hadn't had TT (or maybe Penny's ending contract).

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 11-06-2005 10:12 PM]

I agree with you on the second point. TT and AD both being ending gave us the flexiblity to do the deal in such a way that Curry got the money he wanted. Otherwise the Bulls would've had to take back one of our kids.

On the first however, I don't think "ending" is the term. Nazr is on his last year now. So the Spurs signed up 1 year and 3 months (as opposed to 3 months for an ending). So, that's distinction I'd use. (Sorry for being technical) But, your point is well taken. They do offer flexibility. The big issue with them is always how they become immoveable in the in between years (when they're overpaid not yet expiring). That's going to be JJ's (for example) situation for quite a while.
Bonn1997
USA
11/6/2005  10:59 PM
big issue with them is always how they become immoveable in the in between years (when they're overpaid not yet expiring). That's going to be JJ's (for example) situation for quite a while.
If there are only a few players on the team with immovable contracts, I don't view it as a big deal. Of course it would be ideal to have fifteen players that other teams were dying to have, but I don't think it's a huge concern if only 10 or 11 of our fifteen players are movable. Your top 8 or 10 players are the ones who make a difference in games anyway. The bottom 5 players aren't
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
11/6/2005  11:14 PM
Briggs keeps mentioning the 2007 swap as if we are giving up a pick and as if we will be a lottery team... Lets say both the knicks and bulls are lottery teams in 2007, it could happen, the worst that could happen is that we still have a lottery pick if the bulls swap with us, assuming our pick is higher.. You see, the sky is not falling briggs..... Stop making it seem as if we don't have a pick until year 2099!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
what is the status of our draft picks this season?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy