[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

LIVE from section 406 (djsunyc's take on the game)
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/5/2005  9:30 AM
some thoughts from djsunyc LIVE at the game:

- the garden was buzzing and pretty pumped for the game tonight.

- i thought frye played a VERY good first game. he looked comfortable out there and grabbed boards. he took good shots, yes he missed them, but they'll go down in the future. he should be getting 25 mins a night MINIMUM and he should play with curry.

- boos galore for that first quarter but let me tell you, the crowd was JACKED for that 2nd unit in the 2nd quarter. the crowd was excited seeing those young guys out there...something they haven't seen in a long long time. the crowd is ready to watch that young unit. i don't know if that translated well on tv, but the crowd was juiced for them.

- the big game is already in the doghouse and will turn out to be the WORST signing in club history. this will make the signing of clarence weatherspoon look like a bargain. what a BUM.

- i don't know if Q is hurt or not but i don't like him on this team. he has been nothing but a jock so far. this should NOT be our starting SG. a player like raja bell would've been PERFECT for us.

- now this is a big one so here's another mini marbury rant, and i'm not sure how it translates on TV but when we get a rebound, and everyone runs up the court, pretty much everyone in our section is SCREAMING for marbury to push it, but he doesn't. he has players open on the wings but he doesn't get the ball up fast enough nor make that first pass quick enough. it's tough to explain when you can't see the full court on television. there were many times that we had wing men open even in our half court sets yet steph would take that one or two extra dribbles before moving it. it's glaringly apparent to me, that steph's best attribute is his scoring ability. i think trying to run the offense with steph at the point just won't work here. all of his assists, throughout his ENTIRE career has come off his offense - mostly when he gets doubled trying to score. but we need a pg that can pass within the flow of the offense and i don't think we're getting it from him. yes, it's early, but i'm talking about steph throughout his entire career, not just the 1st two games. he's trying hard but there's just something missing there. the best pass of the entire night was the back door cut assist from crawford to ariza. steph is better off playing off the ball and just scoring when he gets it. i know everyone has been over this 100 times and there will be guys that don't agree but this is not just coming from me but ALOT of people at the garden. someone i know was sitting behind the knicks bench last night and there were times when steph had the ball and you could hear not only LB but the players as well screaming "CRAWFORD CRAWFORD CRAWFORD" b/c he was open but steph didn't get him the ball. and that play with curry and barnes open under the basket when steph didn't pass it but drove and drew the foul instead was just a microcosm of his play. the guys were WIDE OPEN but he wouldn't pass it. he put his head down and drove instead. is he scared to? is he nervous with LB? or is he just not that type of pg?

when i see a team like pheonix and now new orleans and milwaukee, what do i see? i see a team that pushes the ball with a point guard that is quick and dribble penetrates at will and more importantly, gets rid of the ball early. first passes are made EARLY in the shot clock and to me, marbury just isn't that type of point guard. and that's what we need. it was our second unit that was our best unit last night and LB did not go back to it in the 2nd half. crawford has more potential to be that guy than marbury and really is wasting away on the bench b/c of it. can crawford be as good a player as steph individually? probably not but i think crawford running the point for us would be and needs to be explored sooner than later - even if that means to move steph PERMANENTLY to SG and have him come off screens like rip while craw becomes chauncy. (btw, i know craw hasn't looked great this season so far but in preseason, he ran the team pretty darn well and that was sort of taken away from him until that 2nd unit came on the floor yesterday. THAT unit is our future minus mo. craw, nate, ariza, frye, curry - that's who we should play AND that's what the fans at the garden want to see.)

[Edited by - djsunyc on 11-05-2005 10:15 AM]
AUTOADVERT
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/5/2005  9:49 AM
dj - great post. even being a hardcore marbury supporter i'm open to considering what you're saying and i'll keep more of an eye on missed opportunities to push or dish on his part.
djsunyc
11/5/2005  9:55 AM
Posted by Marv:

dj - great post. even being a hardcore marbury supporter i'm open to considering what you're saying and i'll keep more of an eye on missed opportunities to push or dish on his part.

marv - i'm a marbury supporter also b/c i realize he's a great talent. but i also see that he may not be the right guy to run the team. i mean, i think i saw him screaming at frye after that inbound play where arenas bounced it off steph's leg. is that his way of trying to lead? scream at the big game, but not frye.

McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
11/5/2005  10:17 AM
- now this is a big one so here's another mini marbury rant, and i'm not sure how it translates on TV but when we get a rebound, and everyone runs up the court, pretty much everyone in our section is SCREAMING for marbury to push it, but he doesn't. he has players open on the wings but he doesn't get the ball up fast enough nor make that first pass quick enough. it's tough to explain when you can't see the full court on television. there were many times that we had wing men open even in our half court sets yet steph would take that one or two extra dribbles before moving it

some of us can see it on television just as well.

someone i know was sitting behind the knicks bench last night and there were times when steph had the ball and you could hear not only LB but the players as well screaming "CRAWFORD CRAWFORD CRAWFORD" b/c he was open but steph didn't get him the ball.

Slight possibility Steph is feezing him out. All the talk of JC taking the pg spot surely can't sit well with the world's greatest point guard. That bounce pass to Ariza for the slam is what alot of fans wanna see, not pick and roll plays where Malik Rose ends up shooting 20 footers.

and that play with curry and barnes open under the basket when steph didn't pass it but drove and drew the foul instead was just a microcosm of his play. the guys were WIDE OPEN but he wouldn't pass it. he put his head down and drove instead.

Great hussle in saving it followed by a bad play made deflating by him clanking the first free throw. took the crowd right outta the game w/ that 1. This ain't a mentally strong group of players, they NEED every angle they can get. its just like not calling timeout in gm 1 after getting the steal. You're a supposed star: Make plays that will help your team win the game!

btw,

did anyone see LB's quote about the timeout.

Everyone knew we had a timeout. I guess its hard to catch a ball and then signal.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
OldFan
Member: #446
11/5/2005  10:35 AM
Very good point about not passing early in the shot clock. That is the type of thing I think Marbury does not do well. Most ot the time that early pass won't get the PG an assist so it won't show up in the stats - but it will often lead to movement that gets the team a bucket. That's why I think a player like Marbs can be one of the better assist guys without being as good as he could be at getting his team mates involved.

I think Marbs at the 2 is worth exploring - he does do a lot well - but I disagree about Craw. It's not just one game - craw thoughout his career has been a bad decision maker. I think LB wants to play Marbs at the 2 a lot but doesn't feel he has another 1 he can trust to run the team.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/5/2005  11:05 AM
DJ, these are the things that don't show up on the box score!

I think Larry wants to run, but the guys don't get back on Defense.

Plus imagine the offense going off without Marbs! Could it be the ewing syndrome again?

In the long run you can't have greyhounds like frye and Reezy and not push it at times.

This is why guys like Kidd and Nash are so valuable. They can not just push it, but see cross court and the play before it evolves. Ok, thats just not Marbs thing, but we need a point who can do this in stretches. Imagine Marbs being on the break RECIEVING the ball. The kid can finish strong.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/5/2005  11:10 AM
I know exactly what you mean about Marbury. I was there and I remember one instance where he had Curry and Barnes open on the wings but took forever to bring the ball up. I was furious!
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/5/2005  11:13 AM
Posted by OldFan:

Very good point about not passing early in the shot clock. That is the type of thing I think Marbury does not do well. Most ot the time that early pass won't get the PG an assist so it won't show up in the stats - but it will often lead to movement that gets the team a bucket. That's why I think a player like Marbs can be one of the better assist guys without being as good as he could be at getting his team mates involved.

I think Marbs at the 2 is worth exploring - he does do a lot well - but I disagree about Craw. It's not just one game - craw thoughout his career has been a bad decision maker. I think LB wants to play Marbs at the 2 a lot but doesn't feel he has another 1 he can trust to run the team.

great post. Backups up the fact that Marbury averages 8asts every year because the ball is in his hands 100% of the time. He should average 14asts if he had any PG vision
BigC
Member: #829
11/5/2005  11:23 AM
Posted by djsunyc:

some thoughts from djsunyc LIVE at the game:

- the garden was buzzing and pretty pumped for the game tonight.

- i thought frye played a VERY good first game. he looked comfortable out there and grabbed boards. he took good shots, yes he missed them, but they'll go down in the future. he should be getting 25 mins a night MINIMUM and he should play with curry.

- boos galore for that first quarter but let me tell you, the crowd was JACKED for that 2nd unit in the 2nd quarter. the crowd was excited seeing those young guys out there...something they haven't seen in a long long time. the crowd is ready to watch that young unit. i don't know if that translated well on tv, but the crowd was juiced for them.

- the big game is already in the doghouse and will turn out to be the WORST signing in club history. this will make the signing of clarence weatherspoon look like a bargain. what a BUM.

- i don't know if Q is hurt or not but i don't like him on this team. he has been nothing but a jock so far. this should NOT be our starting SG. a player like raja bell would've been PERFECT for us.

- now this is a big one so here's another mini marbury rant, and i'm not sure how it translates on TV but when we get a rebound, and everyone runs up the court, pretty much everyone in our section is SCREAMING for marbury to push it, but he doesn't. he has players open on the wings but he doesn't get the ball up fast enough nor make that first pass quick enough. it's tough to explain when you can't see the full court on television. there were many times that we had wing men open even in our half court sets yet steph would take that one or two extra dribbles before moving it. it's glaringly apparent to me, that steph's best attribute is his scoring ability. i think trying to run the offense with steph at the point just won't work here. all of his assists, throughout his ENTIRE career has come off his offense - mostly when he gets doubled trying to score. but we need a pg that can pass within the flow of the offense and i don't think we're getting it from him. yes, it's early, but i'm talking about steph throughout his entire career, not just the 1st two games. he's trying hard but there's just something missing there. the best pass of the entire night was the back door cut assist from crawford to ariza. steph is better off playing off the ball and just scoring when he gets it. i know everyone has been over this 100 times and there will be guys that don't agree but this is not just coming from me but ALOT of people at the garden. someone i know was sitting behind the knicks bench last night and there were times when steph had the ball and you could hear not only LB but the players as well screaming "CRAWFORD CRAWFORD CRAWFORD" b/c he was open but steph didn't get him the ball. and that play with curry and barnes open under the basket when steph didn't pass it but drove and drew the foul instead was just a microcosm of his play. the guys were WIDE OPEN but he wouldn't pass it. he put his head down and drove instead. is he scared to? is he nervous with LB? or is he just not that type of pg?

when i see a team like pheonix and now new orleans and milwaukee, what do i see? i see a team that pushes the ball with a point guard that is quick and dribble penetrates at will and more importantly, gets rid of the ball early. first passes are made EARLY in the shot clock and to me, marbury just isn't that type of point guard. and that's what we need. it was our second unit that was our best unit last night and LB did not go back to it in the 2nd half. crawford has more potential to be that guy than marbury and really is wasting away on the bench b/c of it. can crawford be as good a player as steph individually? probably not but i think crawford running the point for us would be and needs to be explored sooner than later - even if that means to move steph PERMANENTLY to SG and have him come off screens like rip while craw becomes chauncy. (btw, i know craw hasn't looked great this season so far but in preseason, he ran the team pretty darn well and that was sort of taken away from him until that 2nd unit came on the floor yesterday. THAT unit is our future minus mo. craw, nate, ariza, frye, curry - that's who we should play AND that's what the fans at the garden want to see.)

[Edited by - djsunyc on 11-05-2005 10:15 AM]

Excellent post!

Marbury has a habit of not giving the ball up at the right time. I remember last year when sometimes Ariza would be on the break head of Marbury and Mrbury would not give it up the ball. Instead he would drive himself for the point. People can say what they want, but Marbury is not creative at the pg position. The sad thing is, many of the backdoor or easy lobs plays have been coming from Jamal not Marbury who is our main point guard.

[Edited by - BigC on 11-05-2005 11:38 AM]
BigC's Knick blogs and Knicks highlights after every Knicks game http://fromthebaseline.com/
djsunyc
11/5/2005  11:36 AM
Posted by OldFan:

i agree, crawford to this point has been a bit of a crackhead BUT he is a work in progress. i know he's 25, and he's got the big contract but for all intent and purposes (you see killa, i can read!!! ) he is really still a young undeveloped raw talent. that's why i would rather give him the shot there and see if he can do it. otherwise, we ship him out and get someone in here that can.

look at a player like tj ford. a little guy but someone that can dribble penetrate at will, cause defenses to go nuts and dishes out quickly. that's the type of team we have and that's the pg we need. get curry the ball quick in the 1/2 court sets and go inside out but more importantly, look to push first and foremost. with steph (at the SG), ariza, frye, etc. out in front, we can make easy baskets but that option doesn't seem to get explored if steph is the one bringing it up.
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
11/5/2005  11:37 AM
Didn't Larry Brown say that he didnt want the team to run until further notice and therefor Steph pushing the ball like that isn't allowed? I thought Larry said that, correct me if I'm wrong.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
djsunyc
11/5/2005  11:40 AM
i think LB said he doesn't want this team to run and gun and concentrate more on defense and rebounding and to not just run up and down with no rhyme or reason. yes he did say something like that BUT i'm talking about within the flow of the game. there were times we got the rebound, people were running off the missed shot yet he would still bring it up slowly and not give it up and just keep dribbling.

oh, and watch LB during the game (you may not see it on tv but only live at the garden), he's constantly waving his arms telling him to bring it up quicker.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 11-05-2005 11:42 AM]
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
11/5/2005  11:40 AM
Posted by nyk4ever:

Didn't Larry Brown say that he didnt want the team to run until further notice and therefor Steph pushing the ball like that isn't allowed? I thought Larry said that, correct me if I'm wrong.

he did say that but he's given forth with a pretty constant stream of drivel since camp. i take a yeah we'll see atttude about all his statements.
attaboy2005
Member: #992

11/5/2005  1:01 PM
I know is has been said alreday DJ, but thatw as an excellent post and very accurate read on Marbury, it looks like either he hasn't even learned the new system from LB or he is not comfortable with implementing the system, either way Steph is not getting it.
eViL
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #561
USA
11/5/2005  8:19 PM
Live from Section 411:

1) Marbury rarely threw the first pass of the play with conviction. The guy really showed little confidence in his teammates the way he begrudgingly entered the set offense when it didn't center around him breaking his man down.

2) Marbury is awesome at breaking his man down. If we could get away with relying on this all game, he'd score everytime. We'd also never win.

3) Marbury broke many plays and then passed to his teammates only when he got in trouble. This led to his teammates being in awkward positions. This led to turnovers, bad shots and choppy offense.

4) Marbury drew a charge. I've never seen him do that before. I can't expect him to change overnight, but I hope I see more stuff like this out of him. Maybe he'll end up correcting my observations on the first three points over the next few months.

Finally, I think Marbury gets dogged a lot. I think he deserves it sometimes and other times he doesn't. Last night was arguably an example of Marbury at his worst. I don't think he's gonna stink like that all year long. He's learning (as demonstrated by the charge he drew). I'm going to be patient and give the team time. It might be unfair to single Marbury out, but he's the guy the gets the team going. He starts out our offense. He's the first guy to blame when things go wrong. There's a reason LB is hard on his PGs. Marbury plays a HUGE role. Failure on his part could create failure on the part of the whole team. A guy like Charlie Ward didn't have a fraction of Marbury's skill, but maybe that worked to Ward's advantage. Ward was the type of player that had no problem running an offense without ego. Marbury has to let go. For us to be good he has to believe that our plays will work and that his teammates can be trusted. He's a jaded character. Over the years he's been dogged by everyone. Hopefully LB doesn't give up on the guy too soon. There is hope for Marbs. Not much hope, but hope exists...
check out my latest hip hop project: https://soundcloud.com/michaelcro http://youtu.be/scNXshrpyZo
djsunyc
11/5/2005  9:36 PM
it's going to be interesting to see how many assists marbs is going to average now that the pick and roll is not that prevalent in our offense. i would say that 80+% of steph's assists last year came off the pick and roll. i'm going to keep an eye on this over the next 20 games or so.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
11/5/2005  10:02 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

it's going to be interesting to see how many assists marbs is going to average now that the pick and roll is not that prevalent in our offense. i would say that 80+% of steph's assists last year came off the pick and roll. i'm going to keep an eye on this over the next 20 games or so.

With Frye and Curry the pick and roll stil should be a major part of our offense.

Curry for the rolling aspect and Frye for the poppinf and rolling aspect.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
11/6/2005  6:49 AM
Got to this really late, but had to give props to DJsu for the great post.

That's gotta be an official post- game thread:

DJSUNYC: Live From Section 406. Keep 'em coming, fella!

Interesting bit on Steph... I believe he's capable of passing the ball within this system as a PG, but it'll take a few more games at least for us to see the direction he's moving consistently towards.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
LIVE from section 406 (djsunyc's take on the game)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy