[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Thoughts on Frank Williams at PG...
Author Thread
IlliniKnick
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #269
USA
6/26/2002  11:04 PM
I'm an Illinois alum living in CT, so this is sweet for me. All bias aside, I do think NY got a great pick here. Frank has the potential to be a solid PG in the NBA- IMHO. What do all the loyal Knick fans think??
AUTOADVERT
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
6/26/2002  11:11 PM
I think we got a steal late in the draft. I didn't think he would around that late. I'm just hoping his outside game will mature and he will bring it every night....two of his reported knocks in his game.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
Caseloads
Member: #41
6/26/2002  11:16 PM
Posted by Andrew:

I think we got a steal late in the draft. I didn't think he would around that late. I'm just hoping his outside game will mature and he will bring it every night....two of his reported knocks in his game.
so true. you think we can trade KT and ward/ eisley still though for someone decent?
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
6/26/2002  11:17 PM
Posted by Caseloads:
Posted by Andrew:

so true. you think we can trade KT and ward/ eisley still though for someone decent?

who, Baker?
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
6/27/2002  12:56 AM
Williams isnt going to start off the bat. But he could be a decent player as long as he doesnt turn the ball over alot.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
VG
Member: #68
Australia
6/27/2002  12:58 AM
I heard Williams is a great defender and a good playmaker. Sounds like a good fit...
killacross
Member: #58
USA
6/27/2002  2:01 AM
in a few years this will either be a great pick or we will be kicking ourselves(layden) in the ass for not takin dickau. Both are gona be all-stars or bust type players. I just hope we made the right choice. The only good thing i like better about williams is that his D is far supperior over dickau's.
ya cant stop me, you can only hope to contain me
martin
USA
6/27/2002  8:50 AM
Posted by IlliniKnick:

I'm an Illinois alum living in CT, so this is sweet for me. All bias aside, I do think NY got a great pick here. Frank has the potential to be a solid PG in the NBA- IMHO. What do all the loyal Knick fans think??

So, Illinois, can you give us more of a low-down on the newest Knick point guard? How's his handle? Can he develop a consistent shot? Floor leader? Can he handle the NY pressure?
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
6/27/2002  9:30 AM
Frank Williams could be this draft's Jamal Tinsley. Thats my prediction.
IlliniKnick
Member: #269
USA
6/27/2002  10:27 AM
Per martin's request, here's a low-down on Frankie:

Huge wingspan and great instincts made him one of, if not the best defender in the Big Ten. Went head to head with Dickau- Illinois spanked Gonzaga and Williams was head and shoulders the PG of the game. Gave Dickau plenty of problems.

Frank has incredible handles-- that's his trademark. He's a Peoria, IL guy and has made a name for himself back home and throughout college as having unbelievalbe ball handling skills. Frank is very strong dishing to others for the easy two. Players at Illinois had to adjust to his lightning fast reactions and passes-- many making the crowd ooh and ahh over his behind the back, or over the shoulder no looks.

He lulls defenders asleep and has this eery way of slowing down his dribble and then blowing by guys. Must be his studder step or something.

He can drive and draw defenders effectively. Outside shot can get hot, but can also go cold. He will progress in this area.

Plays big with his wingspan-- bigger than 6'1.5".

I still think NY got a steal here at 25. Frank has the potential to help out a lot down the road.

knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
6/27/2002  10:34 AM
illiniknick,

If I read the article about Frank correctly he has alot of potential and can be unbelievable in one game and disappear in the next. Some even say that he should have stayed in the draft last year or at least not say that he would declare at the end of the season which he did.

Could you give some more inside info on all that rumored about Frank?
Knixkik
USA
6/27/2002  10:42 AM
he has alot of potential and can be unbelievable in one game and disappear in the next.
Typical rookie point guard, no question about it.
martin
USA
6/27/2002  11:40 AM
ah-ha, here is some info that I was looking for on the Frank-ster:

(from Insider, measurements taken at one of the pre-draft camps)

Frank Williams: 6' 2 3/4" | 212 lbs | 6' 8" wingspan.

So, almost a legit 6'3" with arms that stretch down to his knees. Seems to me to be a shorter version of a young Gary Paton.
martin
USA
6/27/2002  1:11 PM
Interesting, from one of today's articles:

"Williams, the 25th pick whose rights the Knicks obtained in yesterday's trade, cannot be blamed for the Illini's shortcomings in the postseason. In three NCAA Tournament games, he averaged 20 points, 5.7 assists and 4.3 rebounds and shot 51 percent from the field and 60 percent from three-point range."
Knixkik
USA
6/27/2002  4:57 PM
Posted by martin:

Interesting, from one of today's articles:

"Williams, the 25th pick whose rights the Knicks obtained in yesterday's trade, cannot be blamed for the Illini's shortcomings in the postseason. In three NCAA Tournament games, he averaged 20 points, 5.7 assists and 4.3 rebounds and shot 51 percent from the field and 60 percent from three-point range."
I was pretty impressed with him this year and remember hoping someone like him could land with the Knicks. I'm also very impressed with his exceptional 6-8 wingspan.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
6/28/2002  7:17 AM
Night of surprises for Illini

Minutes before heading to the airport for the flight Thursday that would take him to New York for his first news conference Friday as a member of the Knicks, Illinois' Frank Williams said he never had been to the Big Apple before.

For a media-shy young man who kept a typically low profile before and during Wednesday night's NBA draft, the trip figured to be quite an eye-opener, the second one for Williams in as many days.

Surprise proved to be the draft's operative word for Williams, the star point guard, and senior Robert Archibald, the rock-steady center—and new Memphis Grizzlie—who led Illinois to a share of two Big Ten championships and berths in the NCAA Elite Eight and Sweet 16 the last two seasons.

Surrounded by his family and 100 friends at a small night spot in Peoria, Williams had to wait until almost the end of the first round before the Denver Nuggets, who had the 25th pick, selected him. The Nuggets then shipped Williams to the Knicks as part of a multiplayer deal in which Denver received New York point guard Mark Jackson and Marcus Camby and the Knicks obtained forward Antonio McDyess in return.

Williams said he was thrilled to be a Knick and excited to have a chance to compete for the starting job left vacant by Jackson.

"I'm going to do all I can to make sure my mother [Mary] doesn't have to work anymore," Williams said.

But Williams had expected to be chosen earlier. Considered a potential lottery pick if he had entered last year's draft, Williams' stock dropped. He was criticized for his inconsistency last season and for what some saw as his uninspired leadership of the Illini. Scouts also had questioned his speed but not his abundant talent.

"I think I felt more relieved than anything," said Williams, who averaged 16.2 points and 4.4 assists. "It was a long wait. I thought I'd go sooner but at the same time a lot of it is political. I didn't even work out for the Knicks; that's how crazy the draft is. I talked to them at the predraft camp in Chicago but that was it."

After the Bulls picked Duke's Jay Williams, Frank Williams was the next point guard taken.

"We were surprised to see him on the board at 25," Knicks general manager Scott Layden told Newsday. "This is an overused statement on draft day but he was very high on our board. Our scouts had him rated very high and when he was available at 25 we really didn't hesitate."

Archibald didn't hesitate to celebrate after winding up with the Grizzlies. The 6-foot-11-inch native of Scotland, who averaged 10.5 points and 5.4 rebounds, wasn't surprised Memphis took him but he was stunned to be the third selection of the second round, 32nd overall.

"When I first saw my face on the TV screen I didn't even know what was going on," said Archibald, who watched the draft at his new Chicago apartment.

"I was really pleasantly surprised to go that high. I think it's a perfect situation for me to have a chance to help a team with a ton of potential. Obviously the need for them is size. They didn't have a true center on the roster last season."

Archibald thought he helped himself with his predraft workouts.

"I had a good idea what I needed to show I could do," he said. "I had to show I could compete, run, rebound the ball well and be a tough presence in the middle."

Williams has a much tougher job: to make his presence known in New York, which went 30-52 this past season.

"I know [the Knicks will] be a whole lot better now," Williams said. "I'm pretty sure they can use someone like me. I know they have confidence in me. I just have to stay focused and I'll be able to handle anything that comes my way."
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
6/29/2002  12:49 AM
Its funny all we really did was obtain a stud in deyse for Camby and swap Williams for Hilario and people are in a uproar. I watched Williams this year, he has the ability especially with his defense and long wingspan to be a payton type player. We hear about Jay Williams, and Gooden and Wagner, this kid could be the steal of the draft, what he did at illinois as Junior was quite impressive, and BTW he ate Dicau's lunch whent they played Gonzaga!!!
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
ATLKnick
Member: #273
USA
6/30/2002  12:08 PM
Let's face it we have three proven scorers in Spree, McD and Houston. All Williams has to do for us to be a force in the east is play tough defense, distribute the ball and minimize turnovers. If he does that the press will be comparing him to a young Gary Payton before he found his offensive game. I think that's all you can expect from him this year and we'll be fine. Whatever offense he brings is gravy. I watched him play his junior year and I thought he was better than Jamal Tinsley. I thought he would come out last year and been close to a lottery pick. We got a steal!
Old School Knick Fan
Knixkik
USA
6/30/2002  1:11 PM
Consistancy is going to be the key for Williams. We all know he can do all these things and he's got more potential than our other point guards combined, but if he can get the job done night after night, he will be a good player. Rookies have problems playing consistantly, but the ones that do are the ones who get their career off to a great start.
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
6/30/2002  3:20 PM
I have a feeling that Knicks brass see things similarly...
Both Scott LayDown and Coach Chaney are talking about needing a legit 5... If Williams pans out, we won't need a "top flight" PG to be aquired via trade. Then the trade resources (the whole roster besides Spree, Allan, McDyess, Williams and possibly Kurt if we can make a solid move without moving him) and our $4.5M exception can be put to full use broadening our front line and deepening our bench.

I hope he does end up starting, then we can throw in one of those costly backups in a package for a decent big man too.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Thoughts on Frank Williams at PG...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy