Author Thread
boomann
Alba Posts: 26
Member: #938
USA
10/14/2005  5:40 PM
A Three Hour Tour, The Larry Brown Way
by Tom Kertes

GREENBURGH, NY, October 14, 2005 -- As the saying goes, the devil is in the details. More often than not, so is winning.
If there was one immediately noticeable difference in Larry Brown’s first Knicks practice at the team’s Madison Square Garden Training Center, it’s the minute attention paid to the littlest things. What probably would have been an hour and half session went well over twice that due to the constant stoppage. As ran by Brown, a controlled scrimmage is REALLY controlled. “I don’t necessarily like to do that,” Brown smiled afterwards. “But right now, that’s what it takes.”

Still, if there is such a thing as a BRISK three-hour practice -- particularly when it follows right on the heel of Brown’s notoriously difficult training camp -- this was it. The attitude, the joyful noise, the players’ level of enthusiasm…it all just had a different feel somehow. “We are having fun, dude,” rookie forward Channing Frye, who went all out and then some despite just being cleared to practice due to sore right foot, smiled. “I mean, Larry Brown, the Knicks, the NBA…This is the LIFE!”

Taking advantage of Stephon Marbury (day-to-day with a skin infection) not working out, neophyte point guard Nate Robinson -- constantly airborne, constantly making plays -- was clearly the engine out there. “The kid can fly,” Brown smiled. (In more ways than one: the 5-9 Robinson dunked without any visible effort at the end of a breakaway.) Jamal Crawford, paid special attention by Brown and clearly relishing it, was another standout as was -- in something of a surprise -- a beyond-bouncy Penny Hardaway. “I’ve been in the league, what, twelve years now,” he said. “But I’m absorbing a lot. I swear Coach Brown is teaching me a brand new way to play both offense and defense. It’s awesome.”

And awesomely detailed as well. “Every day I learn something,” Frye practically shouts from excitement. “How to play a man over a screen, which is the right way to roll, keeping a proper base. Step up on the screen, step into the passing lane …Stuff I already knew but now it’s done differently, in the right fashion. And overall, it’s like there is a certain new way to think about the game. Dude, I’m telling you, this year we’ll probably have our bumps and bruises at first -- but we’re all getting miles better.”

“The team chemistry is great,” adds Frye. “Everybody is always hanging out, joking around together. People are out here busting each other’s butts but, at the same time, it ‘s like ‘dude, you’re doing a good job. That attitude will be a big plus when the chips are down.”

“This is crazy over here, man,” newly acquired center Eddy Curry nods toward Brown with a inscrutable smile. “I just came in -- I heard all about it but I had to see it for myself. I have never practiced this hard in my life, not even close. It’s constant up-and-down, constant movement, constant running, constant court-work. It’s real different. It’s crazy.”

“Even though I just came in, I’m feeling real good,” added Curry. “I’m surprised that able to go for such a long time without getting winded, but that’s mostly due to Coach Brown. The man’s so inspirational, I love being out there. So I just can’t stop.”

“My buddy Jamal (Crawford) told me I was going to love it in New York -- and especially that you guys (the writers) are great. We’re going to have a good time, I think.”

“A lot of guys have stood out for me so far -- it was a good camp,” said Brown. “The young kids have gotten better -- they’ve all been well-coached in college -- the veterans have tried hard. I’m going to play a lot of guys over the first few preseason games -- they deserve it. So don’t read too much into minutes or who starts. We are still in the ‘discovering what we have’ state.”

“I was just teasing Curry, telling him I look at him as if he was a college freshman,” smiled Brown. “And I don’t mean that in a bad way, not at all. He came into the NBA right out of high school, he’s only 22, and he wants to get better. He’s young and he’s playing a difficult position. He has to learn to play every shot like it’s a missed shot. I don’t want him to get cheap fouls on the offensive boards. But he’s so quick and he jumps so well. It’s always fun coaching a talented young kid like that.”

Whatever rebounding and defensive questions might follow the personable young center, he has the answers: “Just keep moving, keep getting in better shape, and keep listening to Coach Brown,” says Curry. “I feel that if I do that I will improve tremendously -- and the New York Knicks are going to have a great year.

"We need another shot blocker and we need more girth in the middle, once that happens we have a chance to be a pretty decent team" Isiah on draft night
AUTOADVERT
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
10/14/2005  5:52 PM
Good read! Its great to see that every player, even the veterans, are learning a lot and becoming better players. But what really stands out to me is how possitive Brown seems to be about the young players. It seems that some like Frye, Ariza and Nate are going to get a good quantity of minutes. Thats great!
Knicks_Fan
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
10/14/2005  5:52 PM
Posted by boomann:

“This is crazy over here, man,” newly acquired center Eddy Curry nods toward Brown with a inscrutable smile. “I just came in -- I heard all about it but I had to see it for myself. I have never practiced this hard in my life, not even close. It’s constant up-and-down, constant movement, constant running, constant court-work. It’s real different. It’s crazy.”
This part really stuck out to me, especially since I just finished reading Scott Skiles talk about how hard his guys practice. Curry has been in that system for 4 years and is saying he has never practiced this hard in his life!!

I Love it!!! Great article, Our Knicks will be something special this year, I expect us to do the exact opposite of last year and turn it up aroun January and really start busting some NBA ass!!!!

Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
10/14/2005  5:53 PM
For Penny to say what he is saying considering the amount of years and coaches he has played for is really astonishing.
boomann
USA
10/14/2005  5:55 PM
Yep it's gone be a good year for Knick basketball. I can't wait until tomorrow and it's only a preseason game!
"We need another shot blocker and we need more girth in the middle, once that happens we have a chance to be a pretty decent team" Isiah on draft night
PhilinLA
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #696
10/14/2005  5:57 PM
If that doesn't get you psyched...
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
NYKniCksFan87
Member: #700
10/14/2005  5:59 PM
lol...this article got me hyped
''We don't have the luxury to take anybody lightly,'' New York's Quentin Richardson said. ''We're not that good.''
boomann
USA
10/14/2005  6:11 PM

IT'S TIME FOR US TO GET BACK IN THE PLAOFFS!
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/14/2005  6:12 PM
Is Curry going to play in the 1st preseason game? I get the impression that he will
PhilinLA
Member: #696
10/14/2005  6:23 PM
I think Curry and Frye will both play.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
TRU
Member: #196
USA
10/14/2005  6:23 PM
Booman...

Where's Ewing in that picture?

I gotcha back.

This is his good side.

Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
boomann
USA
10/14/2005  6:32 PM
Booman...
Where's Ewing in that picture?

Appreciate that but if u want to see some pics go to the off topic forum. I got some for ya

SlimPack
Member: #1009
USA
10/14/2005  7:01 PM
its nice to see that the team is gelling so well with each other and larry brown despite what the media predicted. this also further proves my theory that the reason larry didnt play darko last year is becuase he sucked. also im glad frye wont miss much time with that sore foot, and that eddys health is hodling up. just one question what great new york writers? hollinger?

[Edited by - slimpack on 10-14-2005 7:03 PM]
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
10/14/2005  10:33 PM
It's like I said last season, good coaching is appreciated by everyone.
The true Knickabocker..........
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

10/14/2005  10:34 PM
This is the most encouraging artical I've read all camp... If this addotude continues after a few tough loses
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
10/14/2005  10:39 PM
That is why Brown is loved and respected around the league...His approach to the game is excellent. Our Knicks, especially all those who weren't properly coached, I.E., Crawff, Marb, James, Curry, etc, will be lucky to get exposed to Brown 101.
The true Knickabocker..........
Last Practice before we get the Nets

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy