Alba Posts: 26
Member: #938
USA
10/14/2005  12:35 PM

Talk as Fast as he plays

BY GREG LOGAN
STAFF WRITER

October 14, 2005

It should come as no surprise that Nate Robinson's reputation precedes him. You hear the Knicks' 5-9 rookie point guard before you see him coming.

On a team that has added coaching giant Larry Brown and such towering frontcourt players as 7-1 Jerome James, 6-11 Eddy Curry and 6-11 rookie Channing Frye, the real curiosity this season is Robinson, who led the Knicks' summer league team with a 16.5 scoring average and is making a strong bid to force his way into the backcourt rotation.

During the nine-day training camp that ended Wednesday at the College of Charleston, Brown gave Robinson an earful when he fired up bad shots, committed turnovers or blew a play. Robinson isn't a true point guard in the pint-sized mold of Muggsy Bogues or Spud Webb, who made it in the NBA despite being even smaller than Robinson, who looks an inch or two shorter than his listed height.

But whether he plays Robinson at point guard or uses him as the league's smallest shooting guard, Brown likes what he sees.

"I'm pretty excited about him," Brown said when camp ended. "He's terrific, and he's going to be better and better. He can flat play. He's a rookie and he's got to learn, but he can play. He wants to learn."

Veteran Knicks were just as curious about Robinson as the fans will be when the Knicks open their preseason schedule against the Nets tomorrow night in Bridgeport, Conn.

"By far, the most talkative player in the league is Nate Robinson," forward Malik Rose said. "He's going 100 miles an hour all the time, and his mouth is even faster."

No Knick knows Robinson better than guard Jamal Crawford, who was a high school teammate of Robinson for a year in Seattle. "He never stops talking," Crawford said. "Everybody on the team is like, 'Does he ever get tired of bouncing around the room and talking?' "

Robinson's athletic ability is amazing. His father, Jacque, was a star running back at Washington in the early '80's, and Nate played one year for the football team as a cornerback before concentrating on basketball and leading the Huskies in scoring three straight seasons.

After a practice in Charleston, Robinson amused teammates by leaping and grabbing a rim with both hands and hanging there with his feet dangling more than three feet off the ground. Of course, Crawford and Stephon Marbury weren't quite so amused when they had to bring the ball up against Robinson, who pestered them relentlessly.

Robinson isn't afraid to take on anybody, and that makes him special in Brown's eyes. "I don't look at Nate as being small," he said. "He's so athletic and strong. This kid is a different kind of player right now. But he's got great feet and great energy. He should be a great defender."

Brown isn't the only one with "great" expectations for Robinson. Accepting Brown's criticism in practice, Robinson smiled and said, "He says you need a great point guard to be a great team. I take that into consideration that he wants me to be great. They don't call me 'Nate the Great' for nothing, so I've got to live up to the name."
"We need another shot blocker and we need more girth in the middle, once that happens we have a chance to be a pretty decent team" Isiah on draft night
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/14/2005  12:55 PM
its a good read. The scoring doesnt impress me. Hell, the NBDL is a league of scoring guards that do little else, but when I learned about what a good football player Nate was I started sipping the kool-aid. When I saw he was a Dback and gunner on special teams I started chugging it. Dont know if you remember but I posted some numbers awhile back. In 60ish games (2 college seasons) Nate had 5 rebounds or more many more times then Tim Thomas and in fewer games. Something like 18 for Nate and 12 for Timmy.

We know this about Nate:
He attacks the rim
He has a PG's handle
He can score from anywhere
He attack the glass and rebounds
He defends with passion
He's strong. 2 years ago we won the Chi pre draft combo as the best athlete

I guess the question will be what CANT Nate do. The NBA is a speed game now more than ever. The hand checking rules have really opened the door for guys like Nate to become big time players. Long gone are the days where guys like Derek Harper could constantly drill his elbows into you on the perimeter.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
10/14/2005  1:05 PM
I'm excited about Nate. I didn't see much from his perimeter shooting last season, but I'm pretty sure, with LB, that will change. The kid is mega talented and athletic so we'll see what he can do. Hopefully he's as strong as Earl Boykins too, so that PGs don't just post up on him whenever they feel. Or maybe that's a good thing, at least, b/c that takes them out of their game.

Long gone are the days where guys like Derek Harper could constantly drill his elbows into you on the perimeter.

That's Allanfan20 defense. :-)
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
oohah
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #887
10/14/2005  1:08 PM
Hell, the NBDL is a league of scoring guards that do little else, but when I learned about what a good football player Nate was I started sipping the kool-aid.

I understand NR had pro football potential, but he ain't no Heisman award winner....let's hope.

oohah

Good luck Mike D'Antoni, 'cause you ain't never seen nothing like this before!
rain
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #353
USA
10/14/2005  1:18 PM
Fish... on top of that ... he has heart, NY will love the blue collar work-ethic. He's the new John starks.
Posted by fishmike:

its a good read. The scoring doesnt impress me. Hell, the NBDL is a league of scoring guards that do little else, but when I learned about what a good football player Nate was I started sipping the kool-aid. When I saw he was a Dback and gunner on special teams I started chugging it. Dont know if you remember but I posted some numbers awhile back. In 60ish games (2 college seasons) Nate had 5 rebounds or more many more times then Tim Thomas and in fewer games. Something like 18 for Nate and 12 for Timmy.

We know this about Nate:
He attacks the rim
He has a PG's handle
He can score from anywhere
He attack the glass and rebounds
He defends with passion
He's strong. 2 years ago we won the Chi pre draft combo as the best athlete

I guess the question will be what CANT Nate do. The NBA is a speed game now more than ever. The hand checking rules have really opened the door for guys like Nate to become big time players. Long gone are the days where guys like Derek Harper could constantly drill his elbows into you on the perimeter.

boomann
Alba Posts: 26
Member: #938
USA
10/14/2005  5:54 PM

Letting Bogus know he shoulda been #1 pick
"We need another shot blocker and we need more girth in the middle, once that happens we have a chance to be a pretty decent team" Isiah on draft night
Nate Will Be Great

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy