[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Steve Kerr's Atlantic preview (updated w/ Curry)
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/13/2005  12:41 PM
NBA preview: Atlantic

By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
October 13, 2005

More Atlantic Division: Matt Buser's fantasy sleepers

Last season, the Atlantic Division was the equivalent of baseball's National League West. Boston was like the Padres – a mediocre team that won the division by process of elimination – and, like San Diego, the Celtics were bounced from the playoffs in the first round.

While the offseason brought a couple of home-run hitters to New York – Larry Brown and Eddy Curry – there wasn't a whole lot of personnel improvement in the division. Still, the Atlantic will be improved because the impact of Vince Carter and Chris Webber will become more apparent with full seasons under their belts in New Jersey and Philadelphia, respectively.

The Nets in particular could be very good, health permitting, and Curry and the Knicks are very intriguing. Here's how I see the Atlantic shaking out.

1. New Jersey Nets
Best-case scenario: The Jason Kidd-Carter-Richard Jefferson trio creates an offensive explosion that transforms the Nets into "Phoenix East." Nenad Kristic continues to develop, Marc Jackson is the enforcer and the front line holds up. New Jersey runs away (literally) with the division.

Worst-case scenario: Injuries hit again. Kidd's knee is a problem, Carter goes down and the Nets never find a groove. They slide down the division standings and the playoffs slip away.

Outlook: Rod Thorn has done a terrific job rebuilding this team since the Kenyon Martin departure, and the pieces should fit together. New Jersey – with a full training camp from the perimeter trio – is the best team in the Atlantic.

2. Philadelphia 76ers
Best-case scenario: Chris Webber and Allen Iverson figure out how to play together, Maurice Cheeks returns as the hometown hero and the Sixers defend, compete and win the division.

Worst-case scenario: Webber's knee doesn't allow him to play the up-tempo, defensive-minded style that made the 76ers a good team last season. C-Webb's unhappiness brings the team down and Philly misses the playoffs altogether.

Outlook: Webber and Iverson are not a match made in heaven – they play at two different speeds. The bigger issue is on defense. A year ago, the Sixers played the passing lanes, forced turnovers and created points in transition. Webber is not the man to anchor a defense like that. But Cheeks will keep this team together. The 76ers will learn how to make it work, and they will make the playoffs.

3. New York Knicks
Best-case scenario: Eddy Curry dominates the low block, Stephon Marbury becomes a pass-first point guard, and the Knicks learn how to play defense under Larry Brown. They surprise everyone and win the division.

Worst-case scenario: Marbury, Jamal Crawford and Quentin Richardson cast enough errant three-point bricks to renovate Madison Square Garden and the Knicks continue to play poor defense. Curry is unable to play for health reasons and Brown can't connect with his new team. New York misses the playoffs.

Outlook: Brown will get through to this team – he always does – and the Knicks will defend better. The key is Curry, and there's no telling what will happen with him. This team can make the playoffs whether Curry plays or not, but if he's in the lineup and effective, things could get very interesting at the Garden.

4. Boston Celtics
Best-case scenario: The Celtics' youth develops quickly and Al Jefferson becomes a low-post force. Boston's speed translates to great pressure defense and Doc Rivers' club sneaks into the postseason.

Worst-case scenario: Boston misses the scoring of Antoine Walker, and the Celtics become a one-dimensional team that's too dependent on Paul Pierce. They fall out of the playoff picture and look to the future.

Outlook: The Celtics are too green – pun intended. Their future depends on players like Jefferson, Kendrick Perkins, Tony Allen and Gerald Green. They're talented guys but just not experienced enough to help the team reach the postseason. Pierce will score a lot, but he can't do it by himself – even though he often tries.

5. Toronto Raptors
Best-case scenario: Chris Bosh becomes an All-Star and gets help on the front line from the two rookies, Charlie Villanueva and Joey Graham. The Raptors return to – well, not exactly glory – but respectability.

Worst-case scenario: The team struggles out of the gate, the fans forget about basketball since the Maple Leafs are playing again, and the Raptors drift into obscurity.

Outlook: Mike James was a nice pickup for Toronto, but the Raptors are still very thin in the backcourt. Bosh is terrific, but he doesn't have a whole lot of help. Toronto will struggle to make it out of the Atlantic cellar.

Steve Kerr is Yahoo! Sports' NBA analyst. Send him a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
USA
10/13/2005  12:43 PM
I thought this was pretty fair... I certainly think we are capable of winning the division, and so does Kerr. Whether or not it happens remains to be seen.

I just hope our guys buy into the system and continue to get better as the year goes on. I would like to see us get into the playoffs on a roll and really make someone sweat
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
10/13/2005  12:48 PM
I just can't wait to see what these so called experts will say after we play half of our games...I am very confident that this Knicks team will be an elite team by then..
The true Knickabocker..........
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/13/2005  12:53 PM
The thing i'm most excited by is the fact that we'll finally get back to playing real basketball again. Inside out style basketball. Attacking teams in the post is so much better than having to always try and break teams down on the outside. Now we can get those high % shots. Even out jump shots should be more open. More slashing, due to the defenders having to dig down on Curry. I can't wait to get a look at how this team plays now.
diderotn
USA
10/13/2005  1:06 PM
How do you all think that we will look Vs the Nets? I am hoping to see a true rivalry. Marb finally has the secret weapons in his corner to truly outshine Kidd. Marb will play like a true PG instead of the dominator that he always is.
boomann
Alba Posts: 26
Member: #938
USA
10/13/2005  1:09 PM
Marc Jackson is the enforcer and the front line holds up

Marc Jackson playing enforcer? The only enforcer in the Atlantic is Big Game James

2. Philadelphia 76ers

I think we are heads and tails above Philly. Their centers are too skinny for Eddy and James and we have a deeper bench.
"We need another shot blocker and we need more girth in the middle, once that happens we have a chance to be a pretty decent team" Isiah on draft night
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
10/13/2005  1:10 PM
Kerr seems to be pretty well on point. He was always quite the marksman. I hope Curry unleases the beast and dominates the "tiny" Atlantic div. I hope Qrich displays that low post game he was bragging about. AND Defense. I would love to see what that looks like. I've forgotten.
This is the Randle.
fishmike
USA
10/13/2005  1:12 PM
Posted by diderotn:

I just can't wait to see what these so called experts will say after we play half of our games...I am very confident that this Knicks team will be an elite team by then..
now based on your confidence last year when you predicted 50+ wins, how does this year's confidence measure up?

Nix... I agree 100%. There's balance and Curry is a landmine waiting explode. The minute he steps in the paint BOOM! There's a good shot your getting dunked on. People that havent seen him much dont realize what an off the charts athlete he is

boomann
USA
10/13/2005  1:18 PM
Stephon Marbury becomes a pass-first point guard

People keep saying he needs to become a pass first point guard and I tell people hey he was #3 in assists last year. And that was when he had no three point threat and no legit big man in the post (Kurt and Nazr don't count as legit post players). So with this expect him to jump to the top of the league in assists. Please believe it!
"We need another shot blocker and we need more girth in the middle, once that happens we have a chance to be a pretty decent team" Isiah on draft night
fishmike
USA
10/13/2005  1:21 PM
Posted by diderotn:

How do you all think that we will look Vs the Nets? I am hoping to see a true rivalry. Marb finally has the secret weapons in his corner to truly outshine Kidd. Marb will play like a true PG instead of the dominator that he always is.
it will come down to perimeter D. I think Curry/Frye/JJ/Rose/Mo T will really push around the Nets thin frontcourt guys. We can really attack them there and change the game. Once you do that it just comes down to keeping Kidd out of the paint.

Kidd/RJ/Carter is a brutal matchup for Marbs/Craw/Q

overall I think its pretty even. What I like for us because we win up front we can survive a game where we dont shoot well. If the Nets Kidd/RJ/Carter combine for 40% shooting or worse I think they are sunk because they arent big enough or good enough on D to beat us other ways.

fishmike
USA
10/13/2005  1:22 PM
Posted by boomann:
Stephon Marbury becomes a pass-first point guard

People keep saying he needs to become a pass first point guard and I tell people hey he was #3 in assists last year. And that was when he had no three point threat and no legit big man in the post (Kurt and Nazr don't count as legit post players). So with this expect him to jump to the top of the league in assists. Please believe it!
I think the thought it Marbury scores first and gets others involved based on his success there. What LB and Kerr are talking about is getting him to involve other first then take the opportunities as they present themselves.

tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
10/13/2005  1:23 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by diderotn:

now based on your confidence last year when you predicted 50+ wins, how does this year's confidence measure up?

Nix... I agree 100%. There's balance and Curry is a landmine waiting explode. The minute he steps in the paint BOOM! There's a good shot your getting dunked on. People that havent seen him much dont realize what an off the charts athlete he is

I agree fish and this is a fair analysis from kerr. As far as curry goes, if LB gets the most out of curry this year, He will dominate, and this can only be good news for our perimeter players and if frye is even decent in his first year, the knicks will have a very capable front court...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
10/13/2005  1:23 PM
This is pretty decent. I think this team can make the playoffs without Curry. I think Larry Brown is that good of a coach. I hope he plays but this team should make the playoffs.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
diderotn
USA
10/13/2005  1:25 PM
Fish! I will not predict how many games we will win, but for sure we will be an elite squad.

Posted by fishmike:
Posted by diderotn:

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/13/2005  1:31 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Fish! I will not predict how many games we will win, but for sure we will be an elite squad.

Posted by fishmike:
Posted by diderotn:

Define elite?
Knight
Member: #968
10/13/2005  1:35 PM
Define define?
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
boomann
USA
10/13/2005  1:38 PM
I think the thought it Marbury scores first and gets others involved based on his success there. What LB and Kerr are talking about is getting him to involve other first then take the opportunities as they present themselves.

I understand what u saying fish but um...Steph didn't have that many options to pass the ball too last year. Jamal would shoot before Marbury could set him up, Kurt well Kurt is Kurt and Mohammed couldn't get the ball up fast enough for Steph to get his right amount of assists. I just feel he's always tried to be a point but, he never had the best weapons now he does.
Knight
Member: #968
10/13/2005  1:40 PM
Our bigs couldn't finish--watch this year, Marbs will look like a new man just because we have players who can dunk. Easy baskets--that will be the difference this year.
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
nyk4ever
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #848
USA
10/13/2005  3:45 PM
Thats a very fair assesment of our beloved Knicks right now. For the first time in years the Knicks have a center that can make or break the season and thats very reassuring to know. I honestly think this team can FIGHT for a 4th seed at highest but I think they'll end up around the 5 or 6 range and they WILL contend for the Atlantic title. Good writeup by Kerr, he's getting good at doing his thing off the court, especially the commentating with Marv.
"OMG - did we just go on a two-trade-wining-streak?" -SupremeCommander
fishmike
USA
10/13/2005  4:04 PM
I like Steve also... best part is he's not a dick. Sounds lame but its nice to have a real hoops man tell you what he sees rather than further some agenda
Steve Kerr's Atlantic preview (updated w/ Curry)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy