Although I <3 Ron Artest, He's Mentally ILL
Author Thread
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
10/13/2005  10:47 AM
Lesson learned? Artest vows to play 'out of control'

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Anyone expecting a kinder, gentler Ron Artest on the court this season is likely to come away disappointed.

"I'm going to continue playing hard and out of control, like a wild animal that needs to be caged in," Artest said Tuesday night before the Indiana Pacers faced the New Jersey Nets in the preseason opener for both teams. "I'll let the referees handle it."

(Mentally Ill)

Artest had eight points, three rebounds and three fouls in 12 minutes in the Nets' 105-103 victory.

Artest was greeted by a smattering of boos from the small crowd at Continental Airlines Arena, and his first points, on an 18-foot jumper a few minutes into the game brought the same response.

The game was Artest's first NBA action since a melee near the end of a game against the Detroit Pistons at The Palace at Auburn Hills last Nov. 19 led to one of the worst brawls in American sports history.

For his part in the altercation, Artest was given a 73-game suspension by the NBA and teammates Jermaine O'Neal, Stephen Jackson and Anthony Johnson were given shorter suspensions. Those four and Indiana's David Harrison were sentenced this fall in Michigan to a year's probation plus community service.

Television replays again and again showed Artest running into the stands and attacking a Pistons fan after he was hit with a cup of beer. When asked Tuesday if he could envision a similar incident occurring again, Artest was guardedly contrite.

"I don't think anybody's going to throw anything at me, and I don't see me reacting how I reacted," he said.

(He would do it again. Mentally ill.)

A tough defender who was the NBA's defensive player of the year in 2004 but also developed a reputation as a loose cannon, Artest played in the NBA's summer league and said he gained about 10 pounds and is up to 260.

"I wish I was 280," he said Tuesday.

(Mentally Ill)

Faced with a phalanx of reporters in the Pacers' locker room before the game, Artest answered questions patiently and seemed resigned to facing similar treatment as he goes around the league.

"It's cool," he said. "Things happen in life and you move on. That's the way you have to go about it. It'll be fun playing. Playing with your teammates, playing against the other All-Stars, that's going to be fun. I'm ready to go."

Although he is mentally ill, I think somehow, someway Ron Artest will be a Knick.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
AUTOADVERT
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
10/13/2005  10:58 AM
I hope so. We need someone like him!!!!!!!!
Knight
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #968
10/13/2005  1:38 PM
Yeah, we need somebody to disrupt any semblance of team chemistry.
"He only went to Georgia Tech for one year, and that's an engineering school." -LB
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
10/13/2005  1:42 PM
I dont think there is any chance Ron Artest will be a Knick. Larry Bird would never deal with Isiah.

In case he does become a Knick, every single newspaper will say, Isiah messed up in getting him because he will get suspended again. I wouldnt care if we can get Artest.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
boomann
Alba Posts: 26
Member: #938
USA
10/13/2005  1:47 PM
I like Ron Ron a lot. Anyone with the testicular fortitude to try to fight a whole crowd of Pistons fans gets my respect but, he would eventually find a way to get his self suspended and then where would we be?
"We need another shot blocker and we need more girth in the middle, once that happens we have a chance to be a pretty decent team" Isiah on draft night
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
10/13/2005  2:04 PM
Under the right tutlage, he can become a great player. I'd love for us to get him. He should have been drafted by us to begin with, but now is an even better time to get him, after he's matured a bit.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
10/13/2005  2:12 PM
Posted by HARDCOREKNICKSFAN:

after he's matured a bit.
I am guessing you mean his GAME matured a bit.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
mythfaze
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #106
10/13/2005  6:51 PM
I don't think this article shows that he's "mentally ill" at all. Why? Because he vows not to let the time off from the brawl last year turn him into a tame player? Because he wishes he was bigger and heavier? "...and I don't see me reacting how I reacted" I don't think that suggests he would do it again.

All that said, Artest is an amazing player. If only there was a chance we could have ever gotten our hands on him... Some sort of a situation where we could have taken a risk on him without really giving up much of anything in return... Oh well, maybe one day
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/13/2005  7:08 PM

Mess up the teams chemistry? We don't have any yet. Im worried about his chemistry!

Seems we have this discussion every few weeks with the same response.

Look for any angle that we can take Ron and a bad contract.

Ron is a great player and would be fun to have him here. Maybe if david lee turns into a monster, we can use him as the bait.

Indy is making a run this year, I doubt it would be anytime soon.
Although I <3 Ron Artest, He's Mentally ILL

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy