[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Sweets drops 17 in his first preseason game
Author Thread
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
10/12/2005  5:27 AM
I am glad Sweets came out swinging. I just hope guys don't try and make it sound like we traded our franchise away.
AUTOADVERT
joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
10/12/2005  5:31 AM
Sweets played good in S/L last year too...
~You can't run from who you are.~
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
10/12/2005  6:31 AM
He did. I doubt he will start in Chicago. I am not sure why some here were so high on him. He hadnt lost any weight. He would've been the same from last year with a little improvement.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/12/2005  7:13 AM
true! 22 year old players never improve!
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/12/2005  7:33 AM
If he sucked, the Bulls wouldn't have wanted him, but it's all the more reason to play hardball with AD.
fishmike
USA
10/12/2005  7:46 AM
simple fact is if you give Sweetney touches he will produce scoring. When we gave him those he produced. When we didnt give him the ball it was because he was too fat. Sweets is a beast and a beast must be fed.

Its a good trade for us but we gave away a solid player.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/12/2005  8:02 AM
Looks like he had a fairly good game. 6-13, 17 pts. Only 5 rbs in 32 mpg. With Sweetney the thing I'd be most concerned about is not how many points he scores but how many he gives up (same is true with Eddy but at least most Cs he'll be guarding aren't big scoring threats). This time Rasheed scored 15 in only 24 min. I do like Sweetney though and think he'll be a very solid role player.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 10-12-2005 08:07 AM]
lovespree
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #53
USA
10/12/2005  8:31 AM
Yeah Sweets is looking good. His numbers are there. I agree, we should not just let Davis go. We gave up 2 players that could score. Sweetney has a great upside - his best is probably yet to come. Yeah we have Curry but Davis was part of the package as well. He needs to suck it up, be professional and report to "work". No freebies. We gave up a lot and we should get it back.
NY KNICKS 4 EVER! Will we ever find players like Anthony Mason, Xavier McDaniels, Patrick Ewing again? I hope so.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/12/2005  8:37 AM
Sweets is a good player but you have to give up players to get players.....

Sweets is a power fwd....the Knicks currently have Frye who could fit that title for years to come.....aside from him the Knicks have like 3-4 other guys that can play that position too.

Curry deepens the front court. 6'11"? 285lbs? Center? With his quickness and scoring ability? We did alright....wait till you turn on ESPN or NBATV on saturday night.....

Be easy fellas!!! Every little thing is gonna be alright.

[Edited by - enyspree on 10-12-2005 08:37 AM]
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fishmike
USA
10/12/2005  8:41 AM
Posted by lovespree:

Yeah Sweets is looking good. His numbers are there. I agree, we should not just let Davis go. We gave up 2 players that could score. Sweetney has a great upside - his best is probably yet to come. Yeah we have Curry but Davis was part of the package as well. He needs to suck it up, be professional and report to "work". No freebies. We gave up a lot and we should get it back.
I dont anyone has regret here. I loved Sweetney but we needed to make this trade. That being said AD is an important part of it. I think Frye will be a good PF and I'm happy with that tandem, but AD's role as a stopgap tough guy is very important. I just hope he honors his contract and plays hard for us. I 100% understand what he's going through. To me the $$$ isnt as important as the family, but we are talking about 7 months here. Its part of the business.

curry32
Member: #1001

10/12/2005  8:51 AM
Posted by fishmike:

true! 22 year old players never improve!

yeah i know! Curry will never improve!
CrashDMB237
Member: #759
10/12/2005  9:26 AM
Uh, did any of you guys watch the game last night by any chance? I watched it on my Direct TV on Fox Sports Detroit. I watched halfway through the second all the way up to halfway through the 4th. Sweetney looked TERRIBLE. He was scoring by default. When you have Randy Holcomb, Eddie Basden, Jannero Pargo, and Jermaine Jackson on the floor with you going up against Mo Evans, Ronald Dupree, Darko Milicic, Carlos Delfino and Dice, you probably are going to score.

Now I stopped watching halfway through the fourth and at that point Sweetney had not scored in the 2nd half. So either I missed a spree in the 1st or one in the last 6 minutes of the game. Wasn't one of the knocks on Sweets his inconsistency? Well, there you go...

Also, he just LOOKED terrible physically. You can tell he hasn't done much this summer. He looked slow and sloppy. Maybe its because he's in a new system, but even streetballers know how to NOT get dunked on... Sweets got dunked on by Darko, Sheed, and Mo Evans with Sheed and Mo also drawing fouls. Same old Sweetney.

I'm not a hater, in fact I had high hopes for him before last season. But he just doesn't improve. Anyone who goes through 3 years of college then 2 years of the NBA and still can't play defense or get in shape won't succeed. Even Skiles says Sweetney isn't hanging:

After seeing new Bulls Tim Thomas and Michael Sweetney practice for a few days, Chicago coach Scott Skiles said: "The thing that's been very evident is how hard our guys play compared to guys from other programs. Sometimes when we pick up other guys or sign another guy in the middle of the season or something, they're caught a little off guard by how we do it."
http://homeoftheknicks.com
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
10/12/2005  9:34 AM
I am very happy for Sweetney, but I am also happy for the Knicks. We can now use our options fully. We have two ledgitimate Centers and 3 real PFs. We are much more balance.
The true Knickabocker..........
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
10/12/2005  9:35 AM
Posted by joec32033:

Sweets played good in S/L last year too...

this ain't summer league, it's presesason.

isiah and aguirre are still VERY high on sweets. they probably told him that he was the centerpiece in the deal and i wouldn't doubt it at all if isiah tried to bring him back in 07.

TRU
Member: #196
USA
10/12/2005  9:37 AM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by lovespree:

I dont anyone has regret here. I loved Sweetney but we needed to make this trade. That being said AD is an important part of it. I think Frye will be a good PF and I'm happy with that tandem, but AD's role as a stopgap tough guy is very important. I just hope he honors his contract and plays hard for us. I 100% understand what he's going through. To me the $$$ isnt as important as the family, but we are talking about 7 months here. Its part of the business.

Thank you.

Peaked, I say.

Good Riddings.

Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
boomann
Alba Posts: 26
Member: #938
USA
10/12/2005  12:55 PM
I just hope he honors his contract and plays hard for us

Just trade him back to Chi-town for my main man Sweets. Than we can nickname James, Curry and Sweets the Fat Boyz.
"We need another shot blocker and we need more girth in the middle, once that happens we have a chance to be a pretty decent team" Isiah on draft night
BrilliantTruth
Member: #622
10/14/2005  1:37 AM
Posted by CrashDMB237:

Uh, did any of you guys watch the game last night by any chance? I watched it on my Direct TV on Fox Sports Detroit. I watched halfway through the second all the way up to halfway through the 4th. Sweetney looked TERRIBLE. He was scoring by default. When you have Randy Holcomb, Eddie Basden, Jannero Pargo, and Jermaine Jackson on the floor with you going up against Mo Evans, Ronald Dupree, Darko Milicic, Carlos Delfino and Dice, you probably are going to score.

Now I stopped watching halfway through the fourth and at that point Sweetney had not scored in the 2nd half. So either I missed a spree in the 1st or one in the last 6 minutes of the game. Wasn't one of the knocks on Sweets his inconsistency? Well, there you go...

Also, he just LOOKED terrible physically. You can tell he hasn't done much this summer. He looked slow and sloppy. Maybe its because he's in a new system, but even streetballers know how to NOT get dunked on... Sweets got dunked on by Darko, Sheed, and Mo Evans with Sheed and Mo also drawing fouls. Same old Sweetney.

I'm not a hater, in fact I had high hopes for him before last season. But he just doesn't improve. Anyone who goes through 3 years of college then 2 years of the NBA and still can't play defense or get in shape won't succeed. Even Skiles says Sweetney isn't hanging:

After seeing new Bulls Tim Thomas and Michael Sweetney practice for a few days, Chicago coach Scott Skiles said: "The thing that's been very evident is how hard our guys play compared to guys from other programs. Sometimes when we pick up other guys or sign another guy in the middle of the season or something, they're caught a little off guard by how we do it."

I agree with your assessment completely.Looks like we're one of the few who watch film instead of just boxscore.

Wanted: Patience and Brilliance
Sweets drops 17 in his first preseason game

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy