[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

more from Malik
Author Thread
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
10/11/2005  9:28 AM
Verbal jabs get Brown's point across
New Knicks coach uses loud and grating style, but players know and respect him so his message is sinking in

BY GREG LOGAN
STAFF CORRESPONDENT

October 11, 2005

CHARLESTON, S.C. - However much the Knicks might admire Larry Brown's basketball mind, his vocal style is, shall we say, an acquired taste. The phrase "Hold up!" rang out again and again, interrupting the first real scrimmage of training camp during a three-hour practice yesterday afternoon at the College of Charleston.

It was Brown stopping the action to correct one mistake after another. He spared absolutely no one, questioning the defense played by Stephon Marbury and Jamal Crawford, criticizing Trevor Ariza's shot selection, blasting poor decision-making by rookie point guard Nate Robinson, jumping down Jerome James' throat for being out of position and forgetting to hustle downcourt on offense.

At one point, Brown stopped practice and railed about offensive execution, "You guys forgot everything we've been talking about for six days. Nobody set a screen. There wasn't one cut, and we end up with [Robinson] shooting a -- shot every time."

No wonder Allen Iverson dreaded practice so much when Brown coached Philadelphia. But just as the 76ers went from the lottery to the NBA Finals under Brown, the Knicks have to keep the faith that it's all worth it.

"I don't take it personally," insisted Ariza, who was one of several players who showed some frustration when they came under fire.

"That's how he gets what he needs to say across. I think everybody is pretty much used to it. He told us in the beginning this is how it was going to be like. It's either you're with us, or you're not. Everybody seems to be down with it."

Forward Malik Rose had a pretty good idea of what to expect because he previously played for San Antonio coach Gregg Popovich, who is one of Brown's closest associates and does things much the same way.

When it comes to demanding perfection, Rose said, "They're neck and neck, those two guys. They want it right; they want it done their way, and you've got to do it."

It's best for players not to attempt to argue with Brown or try to explain what they were thinking unless asked. "You just have to take it," Rose said.

For players used to doing things their way, it can be a major attitude adjustment.

"Yeah, it's real hard," Rose said. "It's not like anybody's slacking. We're out there trying, and then, all of a sudden, he's out there yelling at you: 'You didn't do this right! You didn't do that right!' It's frustrating. You've got to be real patient and learn how to take constructive criticism."

Rose whispered words of encouragement to teammates after Brown "coached" them, especially James, who was a frequent target. But the key is Marbury and Crawford, who were called upon last season to create the offense and now are being asked to operate in a more structured way.

"They're doing well," Rose said. "Jamal's having a great camp so far. Steph's been a little banged up, but when he's out there, he's learning. They have the toughest job. Coach is hardest on those guys. As they go, we're going to go, but they'll be OK."

Some say Brown's style wears on his players, but the Knicks are in the early stages of their relationship with the Hall of Fame coach, trying to absorb everything he has to teach them.

"We'd get tired of it if he didn't know what he was talking about, but he's so knowledgeable that guys are in awe more than anything," Crawford said. "He sees everybody on every possession. He's not just looking at one or two guys. That's what impresses guys the most."

After posting only three losing records in 33 seasons as a head coach in the NBA, ABA and college, Brown's credibility is unquestioned. Questions about his methods are greeted with a smile and a shrug.

"They understand," Brown said of his new team. "I remind them all the time: Don't listen to the tone, listen to the message."

It's worth hearing
http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spknix114465047oct11,0,4596852.story?coll=ny-knicks-print

Steph, Jerome tuck in your blouses. Ariza still can't shoot and Q's seeming more and more the slacker. IT needs to make a move for a 3.

[Edited by - McK1 on 10-11-2005 09:28 AM]
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
AUTOADVERT
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
10/11/2005  9:47 AM
Crawford is saying all the right things. I am not liking the whole "jumping down Jerome James' throat for being out of position and forgetting to hustle downcourt on offense." and the "especially James, who was a frequent target." Come on Jerome, bring back the Scaramento magic.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
boomann
Alba Posts: 26
Member: #938
USA
10/11/2005  11:01 AM
Malik looks as if he's going to be a co-captian or something. He's really trying to get the boyz used to a new style of coaching
"We need another shot blocker and we need more girth in the middle, once that happens we have a chance to be a pretty decent team" Isiah on draft night
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
10/11/2005  11:57 AM
Yeah, I think Malik is going to be a very valuable guy to have around to let guys like Trevor, Jamal and JJ know that Brown isn't picking on them, he's just out to make them better.
¿ △ ?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/11/2005  1:27 PM
this quote says it all to me!

Rose whispered words of encouragement to teammates after Brown "coached" them, especially James, who was a frequent target. But the key is Marbury and Crawford, who were called upon last season to create the offense and now are being asked to operate in a more structured way.

I was harping about Stephon ann Jamal's games having absolutely no structure and how during every play they wing it unless it was a pick and roll with KT. How are you going to get your teammates involved that way! Larry Brown is the man!
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
10/11/2005  2:24 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:

Crawford is saying all the right things. I am not liking the whole "jumping down Jerome James' throat for being out of position and forgetting to hustle downcourt on offense." and the "especially James, who was a frequent target." Come on Jerome, bring back the Scaramento magic.

You mean the same magic he brought against a team with barely frontcourt, and I am nice by saying barely b/c they had Brad Miller, but he was walking on one leg. Aside from that, their frontcourt was nonexistant. Othella Harrington and Spoon and Doleac would have had big seriess against that team last Spring.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
more from Malik

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy