Thanks erniecat...

[Edited by - rvhoss on 10-11-2005 14:13]
all kool aid all the time.
AUTOADVERT
Erniecat
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #851
10/11/2005  8:04 AM
This article heartened the hell out of me. What a pleasure to once again have a coach who really coaches and truly takes pride in his work.

Here is the whole article:

October 11, 2005 -- CHARLESTON — The basketball class known as "Larry Brown 101" took on its harshest tone during Day 7 of Knicks training camp at the College of Charleston yesterday.
Perhaps sensing the exhibition opener nearing (the tip-off is Saturday against the Nets in Bridgeport), Brown gave the Knicks a verbal butt-kicking yesterday during their first extended 5-on-5 scrimmage.

All week, it has been evident how often Brown stops play to point out the tiniest mistake. But yesterday, Brown used his strongest language.

After three straight botched possessions, Brown ranted: "We're not doing anything we've talked about for six days. Not one guy made a cut. We're shooting [bleepy] shots every time down the court."

Later on, Brown got angry at rookie point guard Nate Robinson for gambling on a steal after he bricked a shot.

"You compounded a bad shot by making a dumb play out here," Brown railed.

And when Stephon Marbury passed to center Jackie Butler on the left wing, Brown stopped action, asking him pointedly why he passed when he had a clear path to drive. Marbury tried to explain, but Brown cut him off.

It's exactly what the Knicks, who haven't been coached properly since Jeff Van Gundy resigned four years ago, need.

"You make a mistake, he tries to correct it to get you to do it the right way," Marbury said. "I don't think anyone's taking it personally."

Malik Rose, who's familiar with Brown's schtick after playing for Gregg Popovich for seven seasons in San Antonio, said: "You can't really argue back with him. You can't say, "Well I was doing this." You just have to take it."

Rose had wild arguments with Popovich, a Brown disciple and close friend.

"It's real hard [to adjust]," said Rose. "You're working real hard. It's not like anyone's slacking out there. We're out there trying. All of a sudden he's out there yelling at you, 'You didn't do this right. You didn't do that right.' It's real frustrating.

"You got to be real patient," Rose added. "You want to tell him what you were trying to do. He says what were you doing? Then you try to say something, and he says, 'No you didn't do this.' "

Brown feels the players are taking his aggressive style well.

"They know," he said. "It's coaching, it's not criticism. I tell them you got to worry when the coach stops talking to you. I remind them all the time, don't listen to the tone, listen to the message."

Brown admits he has been more vocal in this camp than when he joined the Pistons in 2003. The young Knicks have registered four straight losing seasons.

"It's like a college team, with so many of them," Brown said. "It's not the same situation I walked into in Detroit. They all knew how to play. There weren't a lot of things I told them they hadn't heard or done before."

Before practice, Brown gave a speech, praising their effort in Charleston.

"He's hard on me and I love it," Robinson said. "He gets on every player. He even gets on his coaches for interrupting him."
rvhoss
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #777
Switzerland
10/11/2005  8:12 AM
Like I said, I'm a marbury fan, and I'm sure he is harder on this team than he was the olympic team...hopefully marbs learns to just shut up and listen to coach. sounds like he is:

"You make a mistake, he tries to correct it to get you to do it the right way," Marbury said. "I don't think anyone's taking it personally."

Obviously, he's not...not many quotes from Crawford yet, and no articles on him being corrected by coach. maybe he is buying into it after all.

On another note:
Allan Houston (expected), Quentin Richardson (oh my), Maurice Taylor (still manning up, but it's getting harder day by day), Penny Hardaway (adios at the deadline fella) and Channing Frye (we know, and with a rookie campaign [sp?] ahead, could work out in our favore) all sat out the scrimmage.
all kool aid all the time.
BROWN BERATES KNICKS (nypost)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy