Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
10/10/2005  11:07 AM
Sources: Pierce-for-Maggette deal in works
By Sam Amico

Oct. 10, 2005

The Boston Celtics and Los Angeles Clippers have been discussing a trade that would send Celtics swingman Paul Pierce to the Clippers for swingman Corey Maggette, sources told ProBasketballNews.com late Sunday.

Other players are also said to be involved.

“They have been working on a deal for the majority of the summer, and it appears the talk is heating up,” a high-ranking Eastern Conference official said. “There’s no doubt the Clippers have been dangling Maggette, and Boston seems pretty tempted.”

Later, a Western Conference general manager responded to an e-mail from PBN.com that asked if he was aware of the possible deal.

“I don’t know specifics, but I do know the Celtics are listening to offers for Pierce,” the GM wrote. “I know it because they hinted about (trading Pierce) to us in July. .. (Other GMs) I’ve spoken with in recent weeks have told me the Celtics really like Maggette.”

Members of the Celtics and Clippers front offices did not respond to e-mails and phone calls seeking comment as of Sunday at midnight Eastern.

This is the second time in the past two months at least one source has told PBN.com that Boston was trying to deal Pierce to the Clippers. In August, an Eastern Conference scout said Celtics coach Doc Rivers “desperately wants Pierce out, but he and (Celtics GM Danny) Ainge seem to be at odds” over the matter. The source added that the Celtics were talking to the Clippers, but did not mention Maggette.

Meanwhile, the New York Post reported Sunday that the Clippers are entertaining offers for Maggette and forward Chris Wilcox.

When the Eastern Conference source was asked if he knew any more details of the discussions between Boston and L.A., he told PBN.com, “No. All I know is a couple of guys I trust around the league have told me about it, and that Pierce and Maggette are the main pieces.”

The Western Conference GM added, “… Obviously it is something that would have to involve more than Pierce and Maggette. I don’t usually read the Post, and from what I understand, it has a questionable reputation when it comes to NBA trades. But it would not surprise me if Wilcox was involved in the deal.”

Both sources said they felt a trade between the teams was “probable” -- although the Eastern Conference source said, “Don’t expect either team to admit it, and these things can indeed fall through. But they have been talking. Otherwise, it would mean a lot of people who I have never known to lie to me are suddenly lying.”

Pierce, 27, played in all 82 games last season and averaged 21.6 points, 6.6 rebounds and 4.2 assists for the Celtics -- who won the Atlantic Division before losing in the first round of the playoffs to Indiana. Pierce is entering his eighth year in the league, all in Boston.

Maggette, 25, averaged 22.2 points, 6.0 rebounds and 3.4 assists in 66 games last season. The Clippers finished 37-45 and failed to make the playoffs.

AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/10/2005  11:56 AM
Magette's a lot younger than Pierce and a little better than Pierce IMO. Magette averaged TEN free throw attempts a game last year.
McK1
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #964
10/10/2005  12:05 PM
Pierce gets to the line just as many times a game as well. He also shoots it better from the field, scores more points, grabs more rebounds, gets more assists, has a higher bball IQ and better court presence, puts teams on his back and is 10 x's better in the clutch...but I can see why based off 1 year with Pierce playing for Doc you might mistake Magette for the better player.

I'm with you Ainge should definitely make this deal

[Edited by - mck1 on 10-10-2005 12:05 PM]
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
10/10/2005  12:15 PM
I'm surprised the clippers would want pierce
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/10/2005  12:17 PM
ONe bone head for another. Good swap!

And they still have ricky davis!

Should not keep more than one bone head per team.
McK1
10/10/2005  12:57 PM
Clips see the play-offs in sight finally.

btw,
those boneheads beat NY senseless and then added another bonehead Walker and ran away with the division

is like the Rasheed Wallace debate. from pretenders to back to back finals appearances and 1 world championship.

the right coach and bone-heads become champs.
the stop underrating David Lee movement 1. FIRE MIKE 2. HIRE MULLIN 3. PAY AVERY 4. FREE NATE!!!
Nalod
USA
10/10/2005  1:02 PM
Last year, their bone heads were better than our bone heads.

Paul Pierce smacking down Tinsley for trying to foul him and getting an offensive foul was the funniest bone head move in some time!

Of course, I was watching the game cuz we were not playing any more is besides the point.

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/10/2005  1:30 PM
Pierce is on different class than the stat whore Maggette
Nalod
USA
10/10/2005  1:34 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Pierce is on different class than the stat whore Maggette

Pierce is a proven big game choker. Maggette has yet to prove himself "less" at the higher level.
McK1
10/10/2005  3:25 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Paul Pierce smacking down Tinsley for trying to foul him and getting an offensive foul was the funniest bone head move in some time!

Of course, I was watching the game cuz we were not playing any more is besides the point.

yeah that was pretty dumb. Mistakes happen. Its how you rebound from it. The pass IT thru to Bird with Detroit in a position to clinch was prior to 3 Finals appearances and back to back titles.

As for your Pierce being a biggame choker comment, we must watch two totally different Paul Pierces. I've been watching him carry teams since his KU days. For a chok artist, the year they made it to the ECF's he led the league in 4th qtr points and I would say the Celtics played in some big games that season.

Matter of tastes.

Paul's one of my favorites, obviously he is not one of yours.
gunsnewing
USA
10/10/2005  3:33 PM
Posted by McK1:
Posted by Nalod:

yeah that was pretty dumb. Mistakes happen. Its how you rebound from it. The pass IT thru to Bird with Detroit in a position to clinch was prior to 3 Finals appearances and back to back titles.

As for your Pierce being a biggame choker comment, we must watch two totally different Paul Pierces. I've been watching him carry teams since his KU days. For a chok artist, the year they made it to the ECF's he led the league in 4th qtr points and I would say the Celtics played in some big games that season.

Matter of tastes.

when I hear his name thats the Paul Pierce I think of! How can anyone say Maggette who puts up inflated stats on the clippers and has absolutely no basketball IQ and can't handle simple plays that doesn't involve him finishing them, very similar to Marbury actually, how can anyone say he's better than Paul Pierce, one of the clutchest performers in the league. So what if he's struggling under Rivers. The guy is deadly! he's not going to win games by himself but If I had a good team I would love to have him and his big play ability

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 10-10-2005 3:34 PM]
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/10/2005  3:45 PM
The Clippers are trying to give Dunlevy a legit chance to win. If they get Pierce they definately do that.....that is tons of fire power around Brand with Cuttino, Kaman, Cassell, and possibly Pierce?

Pierce and Maggette post up similiar numbers but Pierce is a killer. right now Mags is just a stats guy. Pierce puts you in position to win every game because he is cold as ice and he can take over games.

Danny Ainge better get someone else that can play to tag along with Mags if they decide to make the trade.He can hate Pierce all he wants but Pierce is stone cold assassin.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
MS
Member: #724
10/10/2005  4:05 PM
How anyone in la has a job is unbelievable, they never make good decisions, I would take anyone off this site and put them in charge and they would have done a better job the elgin baylor......

They could have had McGrady had they put together the right package last summer, could have had Vince last year, and they have let Odom, Miller, and half their other free agents leave without compensation....

Terrible deal for LA, granted Magette and Wilcox are two of the dumber players in the NBA, why you would want pierce with mobley and cassel is beyond me. The guy can score yes but are they ever really committed to winning anything
gunsnewing
USA
10/10/2005  4:08 PM
yeah LA would have to throw in Wilcox or Kaman to make it a fair trade for Boston. Maybe then I'd do it if I was Boston
Nalod
USA
10/10/2005  4:14 PM
Posted by McK1:
Posted by Nalod:

Matter of tastes.

He slapped Tinsley down for his vanity! It was one of the single most selfish acts I have ever seen on a basketball court.
McK1
10/10/2005  4:35 PM
Celtics still won the game but I'm quite sure the proper authorities were informed

Shit happens!

C's were facing elimination and yeah it was an extremely dumb thing to do. Pierce however doesn't have a history of such meltdowns.

btw,
took a look at his #'s for that game.

44 min 20 pts (7-12 fg 6-6 ft) 11 rebs 6assts 4 stls 1 blk 1 TO.

Not bad for a biggame choker.

and anyone who can lead that no coach no talent team he was handed by Ainge at the very start of the 03-04 season to the play-offs definitely cares about winning.

[Edited by - McK1 on 10-10-2005 4:36 PM]
Pharzeone
Alba Posts: 14
Member: #871
10/10/2005  4:50 PM
Posted by McK1:

Clips see the play-offs in sight finally.

btw,
those boneheads beat NY senseless and then added another bonehead Walker and ran away with the division

is like the Rasheed Wallace debate. from pretenders to back to back finals appearances and 1 world championship.

the right coach and bone-heads become champs.

Didn't the Knicks beat them senseless and that was with Walker and when Boston really needed to win for their playoff push?
I don't like to play bad rookies , I like to play good rookies - Mike D'Antoni
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
10/10/2005  4:54 PM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by McK1:
Posted by Nalod:

Matter of tastes.

He slapped Tinsley down for his vanity! It was one of the single most selfish acts I have ever seen on a basketball court.

I agree nalod.. just plain stupid..

Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
McK1
10/10/2005  5:01 PM
C's won the division by 5 or 6 games we didn't almost prevent or spoil anything.

C's won the season series 3-1 putting up 331 points (110.3 ppg) in the 3 victories .

the home opening massacre began the slow painful excrutiating death of the knicks last seasons .

but if concessions mean that much to you, yeah we had a blowout victory last March while we jockeyed for lottery position .

[Edited by - McK1 on 10-10-2005 5:02 PM]
Bippity10
Member: #574
10/10/2005  5:34 PM
Yeah from what I remember the year they made it to the ECF Pierce was pretty unstoppable in a couple of those games in the fourth quarter. I'm pretty sure he has led the league in 4th quarter pts 2 or 3 times in his career. Not sure if choker is one of his flaws.

And that's coming from somone that hates the guy.
I just hope that people will like me
OT - sources say pierce for magette deal being discussed

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy