[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

just an observation but to me, marbury sticks out on this team
Author Thread
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

10/9/2005  3:21 PM
Posted by rvhoss:

OK OK...You win, marbury is almost done. He has to go because he's not an overpaid underachiever or a green rookie.

Trade the bumb.

i dont want to trade him dont get me wrong i hope marbury retires a knick :)

AUTOADVERT
rvhoss
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #777
Switzerland
10/9/2005  3:21 PM
Last year Marbs played off guard alot...I think this year, they are going to say he is moving to the 2, in reality he will still be the same 20/8 guy but won't waste his energy any more bringing the ball across the timeline.
Posted by Marv:
Posted by gunsnewing:

I'm hoping with can do what the isiah thomas pistons did but very rarely do you win with your best scorer at the PG position. Marbury may still put up 20 & 8at 34 but will we be close to winning a championship?

but guns what to you think of this - i say jordan and kobe both played scoring point on their teams. even tho they were "sg's, weren't harper, paxson, kerr, fisher et al really the off-ball guys who got set up for open shots? didn't kobe and mj handle the rock, initiate the offense, drive and feed teammates? couldn't marbs do that, without saying he's their equal by any means?

all kool aid all the time.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/9/2005  3:22 PM
Posted by Elite:

how many teams ever won a championship with the best player being a point gaurd??? Magics lakers?? Isiahs Pistons?? i cant think of too many.. its usually a big man leading the way

how about detroit's chauncy billups winning the finals mvp and a championship and coming within one quarter of doing it again? for LB, no less!

rvhoss
Switzerland
10/9/2005  3:27 PM
I agree...and isn't it interesting that the GM is one of the players from the team that won with their best player being a point guard.

Curry is the big man you are referring to, and while he's no shaq (who really is) he will get us the production from the 5 expected of a championship contender...I mean, we had an EXTREMELY dominant big man and have nothing to show for it.

The big man by committee and the perimeter fire power...with a sprinkling of defensive minded role players is the right mix...it's like detroit back in the day (btw, the lakers had Lou Al Cinder [his momma call him Lou, I call him Low] patrolling the paint [and magic played a little 5 as well])

I'm depending on Rose, Ariza, Nate, James and Frye to provide the defense necessary to take us to the next level, let's marbs and company play zone.

I guess what I'm saying is that i agree with the subject of this thread big time and that's why I think this team is perfect for marbury to lead, there is no question who the leader is on the floor.

The one that sticks out the most.
Posted by Elite:

how many teams ever won a championship with the best player being a point gaurd??? Magics lakers?? Isiahs Pistons?? i cant think of too many.. its usually a big man leading the way

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/9/2005  3:29 PM
Posted by nixluva:

HOLD ON A MINUTE. KIDD and NASH are in their 30's and playing some great ball. Why is it Steph can't also play well into his 30's. He's currently 28 and won't be 29 til Feb. Age is nothing but a number. I'm 40 and 20lbs overweight, I'm only 5'9" and I was just playing ball with my sons and playing around I went up and grabbed rim. I'm still fairly athletic. I think he's got the kind of body that can stay effective for a long time. Now that we have more help he can get more rest and we shouldn't lose anything. I'm actually very happy with things.

thats an easy one. Marbury is not the leader Kidd & Nash are. Like I said Marbury could still average 20 & 8 at 34 but will we win championships with our offense centered around our 6-2 PG? I hope the Knicks do what Isiah's Piston's did 16yrs ago but it is very rare.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
10/9/2005  3:31 PM
i just wanted to say that i'm not advocating moving marbury nor saying anything negative about him at all. i just really don't know what his situation with this team will be for the long term. i guess we really don't know too much about alot of the players until we see how each one responds to LB.
gunsnewing
USA
10/9/2005  3:33 PM
Posted by Marv:
Posted by gunsnewing:

I'm hoping with can do what the isiah thomas pistons did but very rarely do you win with your best scorer at the PG position. Marbury may still put up 20 & 8at 34 but will we be close to winning a championship?

but guns what to you think of this - i say jordan and kobe both played scoring point on their teams. even tho they were "sg's, weren't harper, paxson, kerr, fisher et al really the off-ball guys who got set up for open shots? didn't kobe and mj handle the rock, initiate the offense, drive and feed teammates? couldn't marbs do that, without saying he's their equal by any means?

they're 6-6 marbury is diminitive, score from anywhere on the court and have deadly post moves and most important of all play great defense.
Killa4luv
Alba Posts: 51
Member: #261
USA
Marbs will fine, you guys are worry warts. We need a pg like him because if you think Naate or Craw will fill the role he fills you are mistaken.

Marbs will be 30 the 3nd half of next season. We have guys to back him up and give him breathers, and we also have enough talent around him to make his job much much easier. He'll be fine.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by nixluva:

HOLD ON A MINUTE. KIDD and NASH are in their 30's and playing some great ball. Why is it Steph can't also play well into his 30's. He's currently 28 and won't be 29 til Feb. Age is nothing but a number. I'm 40 and 20lbs overweight, I'm only 5'9" and I was just playing ball with my sons and playing around I went up and grabbed rim. I'm still fairly athletic. I think he's got the kind of body that can stay effective for a long time. Now that we have more help he can get more rest and we shouldn't lose anything. I'm actually very happy with things.

thats an easy one. Marbury is not the leader Kidd & Nash are. Like I said Marbury could still average 20 & 8 at 34 but will we win championships with our offense centered around our 6-2 PG? I hope the Knicks do what Isiah's Piston's did 16yrs ago but it is very rare.
Kidd and Nash weren't known as leaders when they were in their mid to late 20s either.

gunsnewing
USA
10/9/2005  3:35 PM
Posted by Elite:

again Magic was 6-9 not 6-2, scored from anywhere on the court, clutch, post moves ad great defense and leadership
Bonn1997
USA
Posted by Elite:

The best player can be at ANY position. Since 1985 there have been about 10 or 12 different championship teams. With 5 positions, you'd expect 2 or 3 of those teams to have the PG as their best player (and it is in fact 2--Magic's Lakers and Isiah's Pistons like you said).
Killa4luv
USA
Posted by Bonn1997:

Kidd and Nash weren't known as leaders when they were in their mid to late 20s either.
Great point.

Killa4luv
USA
Posted by Marv:
Posted by nixluva:

Age is nothing but a number. I'm 40 and 20lbs overweight, I'm only 5'9" and I was just playing ball with my sons and playing around I went up and grabbed rim.

i hear ya man. those fisher-price 7-foot baskets ROCK!!
LOL!

Bonn1997
USA
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by Elite:

again Magic was 6-9 not 6-2, scored from anywhere on the court, clutch, post moves ad great defense and leadership

You'd have a good point if you didn't notice that he also mentioned Isiah
rvhoss
Switzerland
10/9/2005  3:38 PM
I think long term, if we haven't come close to sniffing a championship, he's gone in his contract year and the team focuses on Crawford or nate as the point guard of the future...if he's not disruptive, he stays on the team...but I've never met anybody from Coney Island that wasn't disruptive.
gunsnewing
USA
10/9/2005  3:39 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by gunsnewing:
Posted by Elite:

You'd have a good point if you didn't notice that he also mentioned Isiah

which is why I acknowledged unless they do what Isish's Pistons did 16yrs ago which makes it an extremely rare occurence.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 10-09-2005 3:44 PM]
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
10/9/2005  3:41 PM
Posted by Killa4luv:
Posted by Bonn1997:

Great point.

yeah, but they're both white...somebody get me al sharpton's number
rvhoss
Switzerland
10/9/2005  3:41 PM
I think with Isiah running the team, there is a good chance that's what we will be doing. I think it's strange you can say Isiah's Pistons and not immediately relate it to Isiah's knicks.
Posted by gunsnewing:

which is why I acknowledged unless they do what Isish's Pistons did 16yrsago which makes it an extremely rare occurence.

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 10-09-2005 3:40 PM]

[Edited by - rvhoss on 10-09-2005 3:42 PM]
Ira
Member: #91
10/9/2005  3:52 PM
I think Marbury's an underrated player. We got him for McDyess, a couple of picks and a few pair of used socks. If we tried to trade him, we wouldn't get much value for him.
rvhoss
Switzerland
10/9/2005  3:59 PM
I agree...we put a high price on him because he's a native new yorker, but he didn't make the all star game and hasn't that been the measuring stick since we were kids?

Marbs makes it this year, but who goes with him? I'm thinking it's Q (squeezing out jamison) or Craw (though I have no idea how ).
Posted by Ira:

I think Marbury's an underrated player. We got him for McDyess, a couple of picks and a few pair of used socks. If we tried to trade him, we wouldn't get much value for him.

[Edited by - rvhoss on 10-09-2005 4:01 PM]
just an observation but to me, marbury sticks out on this team

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy