[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

just an observation but to me, marbury sticks out on this team
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
10/9/2005  1:47 PM
he's not one of the older veterans who are now role players (penny, h20, ad, rose)
he's not one of the young bucks who make up our "rebuilding/developing" core (jamal, q, ariza, lee, nate, frye, curry, butler)
and he's not one of our expensive backups (mo, big game)

i mean, it's debateable that the the young guys we have may not be good enough to win now nor are the older veterans good enough to carry the young guys through the process.

he's in the prime of his career but with the direction the team is going, do you guys feel that marbury fits with this team?

will he be around past the 06/07 season?

i ask b/c i don't know...

[Edited by - djsunyc on 10-09-2005 1:49 PM]
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/9/2005  2:00 PM
honestly I don't think he will be because it'll get to the point where in order for the Knicks to reach that next level the 30 something yr old Marbury is going to have to be traded
PhilinLA
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #696
10/9/2005  2:02 PM
I think he's gonna surprise a lot of people now that he has teammates who can finish.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
10/9/2005  2:09 PM
yep...I think marbs is here forever.
all kool aid all the time.
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

10/9/2005  2:23 PM
i really hope he stays here forever but this goes back to my post saying i wish he was like 3 years younger ... that way he could be a part of our young core haha.. but maybe its good that we have a PG that is a lil more experienced... we just need our young players to grow up in a hurry b4 marbs starts breakin down
rvhoss
Switzerland
10/9/2005  2:31 PM
nobody wins without a vet...marbs is that vet. He's pretty much seen every scenario, he's clutch in big games (for some reason he wasn't last year, but maybe being from new york, he knows when to stay out of the downward spiral)

I remember marbs setting the record for points scored in the olympics and Larry brown was his coach...what was that, 1 year ago?

I remember marbury having no supporting cast and still going out like a champ.

Marbury finally gets a summer off and is mentally ready to lead this team, if he isn't, nobody cares if he's gone, but I think he will...hell, he did last year (16 - 13 with those scrubs...yep, i call nazr and kurt scrubs compared to Curry and Frye and Rose and MoT and James).

If Aquire can make sweets a beast, he'll do wonders for curry.

Now is not the time to start doubting your best player, or wishing he was somebody else, this team is constructed for marbury's current maturity level.

I'll be you nobody in miami is saying, "if shaq was 3 years younger"

Snap out of it elite...marbs is young as hell. How old was jordan his second go round of championship winning (after the first retirement?)

gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/9/2005  2:33 PM
I'm hoping we can do what the isiah thomas pistons did but very rarely do you win with your best scorer at the PG position. Marbury may still put up 20 & 8at 34 but will we be close to winning a championship?

[Edited by - gunsnewing on 10-09-2005 3:26 PM]
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
10/9/2005  2:37 PM
I'm kinda hoping that these nagging injuries that Marbury has doesn't lead to anything serious b/c I'm quite reminded of Allan Houston back in the '02- '03 season. He played all 82 games, but we always heard how he played through back, knee, ankle and wrist pains and then out of the blue, he had microfracture knee surgery, aka the beginning of the end for most NBA players. And last season, he had a lot of nagging injuries too, and the Knicks kinda just drove him into the ground, needlessly by giving him so many minutes in pointless games. Not smart. Hopefully, like I said, all these little things don't lead to something big.

However, barring injuries, I see Marbury here for about the same length as the remainder of Allan's contract (2 more years) and then I eventually see him being traded in maybe a sign and trade or something, b/c if you noticed, the free agent class at the end of that year is quite high in quality and by then, Marbury will maybe have another year or 2 of prime time years left, but that will be the best time to trade him too b/c his value will be so high and our other young guys will be ready to completely take over.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
10/9/2005  2:49 PM
Marbury finally gets a summer off and is mentally ready to lead this team, if he isn't, nobody cares if he's gone, but I think he will...hell, he did last year (16 - 13 with those scrubs...yep, i call nazr and kurt scrubs compared to Curry and Frye and Rose and MoT and James).

First off, Marbury was good, so I'm not bashing Marbury. But I give credit, for that record, to 2 other people. Nazr and Allan. When Allan came back and Nazr was playing at a high level, pre injury, it seemed like things were really clicking for the Knicks. Then Nazr hurt his groin, and Allan's knee pain really started to build and that's when we starting taking hard nose dive.

If Aquire can make sweets a beast, he'll do wonders for curry.

It depends on the person man. Aguire is known to be a tough son of a gun. If he's willing to put in the work, he will.

I'll be you nobody in miami is saying, "if shaq was 3 years younger"

You're damn right Miami is saying that. Shaq is turning old. Injuries and wear and tear effect the older guys a hell of a lot more.

Snap out of it elite...marbs is young as hell. How old was jordan his second go round of championship winning (after the first retirement?

Ummmmm, lets not compare Marbury for Jordan, but for the sake or arguement....

Jordan was fresh when he came back and free of injury. And oh yeah, he's Michael Jordan. Like I said, I am not knocking Marbury b/c I like him now. But he's headed towards 30, he has had nagging injuries, which isn't the greatest of signs, his leadership is still suspect. You're darn right we wish he could be 3 years younger (With the mentality he has now of course) He's not old, but by NBA standards, he's not that young anymore.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
nixluva
Member: #758
USA
10/9/2005  2:51 PM
HOLD ON A MINUTE. KIDD and NASH are in their 30's and playing some great ball. Why is it Steph can't also play well into his 30's. He's currently 28 and won't be 29 til Feb. Age is nothing but a number. I'm 40 and 20lbs overweight, I'm only 5'9" and I was just playing ball with my sons and playing around I went up and grabbed rim. I'm still fairly athletic. I think he's got the kind of body that can stay effective for a long time. Now that we have more help he can get more rest and we shouldn't lose anything. I'm actually very happy with things.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/9/2005  2:56 PM
Marbury's one of the best playmakers in the league. He's a great guard to have to elevate the play of our young guys.

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 10-09-2005 2:56 PM]
rvhoss
Switzerland
10/9/2005  3:06 PM
Hey Allanfan, we just replaced gimpy H20 and vertically challenged Nazr (who you credit with our 16 - 13 record) with Curry and Q richardson.

So, are you saying you wish marbury was 3 years younger, or are you saying we are better now than we were then...or are you saying neither?

I'm confused.
misterearl
Member: #799
USA
10/9/2005  3:07 PM
Well said nixluva- Age ain't nothing but a number

If Marbury doesn't fit, then he will sit
once a knick always a knick
rvhoss
Switzerland
10/9/2005  3:08 PM
ROFL.
Posted by misterearl:

If Marbury doesn't fit, then he will sit

Elite

10/9/2005  3:11 PM
Posted by rvhoss:

Snap out of it elite...marbs is young as hell. How old was jordan his second go round of championship winning (after the first retirement?)

look, he is still young... but our core is way younger than him.. thats my point... i hope he can lead them to be winners.. and i think hes ready to do it.. but my point is that if he were younger.. maybe he wouldent start to break down when curry/frye/jamal start entering their prime.. but its all good... hopefully we can make this work.. .i think we are one big rebounder/defender away from competing with the elite nba teams... but who knows.. maybe one of our young guys has a break out year

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/9/2005  3:14 PM
Posted by nixluva:

Age is nothing but a number. I'm 40 and 20lbs overweight, I'm only 5'9" and I was just playing ball with my sons and playing around I went up and grabbed rim.

i hear ya man. those fisher-price 7-foot baskets ROCK!!

rvhoss
Switzerland
10/9/2005  3:14 PM
I think if he were younger, we'd be in trouble, he needed all these years of failure to finally realize that being a gifted playmaker isn't the entire equation.

When Kidd or Nash (and for that matter Iverson) win a title, then we can start wondering what if.

But I think if LB get's marbs to the championship game...he's winning more games than Kidd and Iverson did combined (which I believe is 3 [1 win per year average]).

[Edited by - rvhoss on 10-09-2005 3:17 PM]
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/9/2005  3:19 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I'm hoping with can do what the isiah thomas pistons did but very rarely do you win with your best scorer at the PG position. Marbury may still put up 20 & 8at 34 but will we be close to winning a championship?

but guns what to you think of this - i say jordan and kobe both played scoring point on their teams. even tho they were "sg's, weren't harper, paxson, kerr, fisher et al really the off-ball guys who got set up for open shots? didn't kobe and mj handle the rock, initiate the offense, drive and feed teammates? couldn't marbs do that, without saying he's their equal by any means?

rvhoss
Switzerland
10/9/2005  3:20 PM
OK OK...You win, marbury is almost done. He has to go because he's not an overpaid underachiever or a green rookie.

Trade the bumb.
Elite

10/9/2005  3:20 PM
how many teams ever won a championship with the best player being a point gaurd??? Magics lakers?? Isiahs Pistons?? i cant think of too many.. its usually a big man leading the way
just an observation but to me, marbury sticks out on this team

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy