[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Isiah Thomas - Extreme Knicks Makeover
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
10/8/2005  6:15 PM
i will use the pat riley example: he ran showtime with LA then changed up his entire style for the knicks.

i think LB is good enough a coach to deal with the strengths of these players. with detroit, it was a team concept, with tough defense. with philly, it was to allow AI to go nuts combined with solid defense.

i think we have enough phsycial talents to have a decent team defense. but it's not about this year to me. i mean, we should win more games and get into the playoffs but now i'm starting to look at championships in the future. i'm hoping for this team to develop and make a serious championship run in 07/08.

yes, if we stink, then we can't use the draft the next two years which would stink. but it's tough for us to have types of options open while still getting a good young talented squad like we have right now. we were handcuffed and it was not an ideal situation to do it. so there's a tradeoff. we have a pretty good nucleus of 6-7 players < 25 but we had to give up some future picks to get there. i'm ok with that.

as for rose...a year with jalen could end up hurting us MORE than not having a pick next year. his presence could be a corruptive influence and that's something we really don't need. that's why steph should be walking on eggshells this year.
AUTOADVERT
misterearl
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #799
USA
10/8/2005  8:12 PM
>>I said he lacked fundamental skill and right now has a low basketball IQ

Briggs - From todays comments it certainly sounds like Curry's basketball "IQ" displays measurable qualitative comprehension of situational awareness

>> Curry is also looking forward to playing before his new fans.

>>"New York fans love basketball," he said. "Anytime you don't give 100 percent, the fans will let you know and I just want to live up to expectations."

As far a lacking "fundamental skill" is that anything like "lacking the neccesities"?

Here is his NBADraft.net review from 2001

Just for the record:

Strengths: Has more strength and polish than Shaq at the same age. The only thing that can stop Eddy Curry from becoming the next dominant force in the NBA is Eddy Curry. Has off the charts strength. athleticism is very good for a player his size. Has learned to score despite constant double and triple teams. Has a nifty turn around, can even knock down the occaisional 18 footer. Unlike Shaq and Wilt, does not have the achilles freethrow curse.

Weaknesses: Weight has become a concern. Consistency. Has had his ups and downs over the course of his senior season. In a much hyped matchup with Tyson Chandler, Curry left the 30+ scouts who came to see the matchup scratching their heads. Must continue to "want it" and develop to ever become the player that Shaq is.

Enter Larry Brown

Enjoy The Ride

once a knick always a knick
codeunknown
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #704
10/8/2005  9:19 PM
Posted by misterearl:

Briggs - From todays comments it certainly sounds like Curry's basketball "IQ" displays measurable qualitative comprehension of situational awareness

If its so measurable it would be quantitative. Whatever Curry says here and there means close to nothing - If he said NY fans expect 50% from the players, his career here would be over before it started.

Here are some qualitative measurements - 2.6 turnovers in 28 mpg from the center position. And .6 assists to go along with that. That should give you a rough estimate of Curry's basketball IQ.
Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
codeunknown
10/8/2005  9:30 PM
Add to that 5.4 rpg and .9 blocks for a guy 7ft, 290lbs and its frighteningly obvious that the guy does not know where to be on a basketball court.

Sh-t in the popcorn to go with sh-t on the court. Its a theme show like Medieval times.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/8/2005  9:44 PM
[quote]
Posted by misterearl:

>>I said he lacked fundamental skill and right now has a low basketball IQ

>> Curry is also looking forward to playing before his new fans.

>>"New York fans love basketball," he said. "Anytime you don't give 100 percent, the fans will let you know and I just want to live up to expectations."

As far a lacking "fundamental skill" is that anything like "lacking the neccesities"?

Here is his NBADraft.net review from 2001

Just for the record:

Strengths: Has more strength and polish than Shaq at the same age. The only thing that can stop Eddy Curry from becoming the next dominant force in the NBA is Eddy Curry. Has off the charts strength. athleticism is very good for a player his size. Has learned to score despite constant double and triple teams. Has a nifty turn around, can even knock down the occaisional 18 footer. Unlike Shaq and Wilt, does not have the achilles freethrow curse.

Weaknesses: Weight has become a concern. Consistency. Has had his ups and downs over the course of his senior season. In a much hyped matchup with Tyson Chandler, Curry left the 30+ scouts who came to see the matchup scratching their heads. Must continue to "want it" and develop to ever become the player that Shaq is.

Enter Larry Brown

Enjoy The Ride

Talk is crp. Go get me 20-10-2 and be an impact player for 10mm a year to help the Knicks win games. He's a grown up boy now, no need to use the age excuse with him. He does need to learn to certain basic fundamentals on both ends and play with more heart ans desire and he should walk out in the next month a little more polished. he needs to impose his will, he needs to play mean. We made a HIGh draft pick and spent a lot of money on two guys who--in my book dont play mean. So if they dont have that innate will/intensity in them, they have to make it up with solid fundamentals and effort.

You know I felt that we would ramp up over a 2-3 year process--getting back to .500 this year, thats why I ws in favor of Bynum, because at the end of the day I felt he was the better long term prospect. So Frye, to me, is also immediately on the spot to produce as a 22 going on 23 yO with 4 years of college and final four experience.

I like the curry trade, I dont like what we gave up in draft picks, I *know* David lee isnt the second coming of Tommy Chambers, he could be good, but never in that class--and what we did essentially by giving up basically 4 picks instead of Lee is we took away OUR ability to be in position to trade for a big time player who may come available--like a Brand--where we could have offered a premium package

So there is NO psy footing here--this trade is good if Curry and frye play well NOW and the Knicks WIN games. If they win 35 games again with an ever increasing payroll, I dont know what I would say. The pressure is on these guys to produce without excuse.
RIP Crushalot&#128542;
misterearl
USA
10/8/2005  10:45 PM
>>The pressure is on these guys to produce without excuse.

No one is suggesting any excuses. I'm just wondering who died and made you boss to set the bar at 20 and 10 to make Curry legit?

So, now Frye MUST play well immediately as well?

Why not expect Rookie of The Year from him, just to make it fair?

>>We made a HIGh draft pick and spent a lot of money on two guys who--in my book dont play mean. So if they dont have that innate will/intensity in them, they have to make it up with solid fundamentals and effort.

You talk as if YOU are the person signing his checks

My point is simple and fundamental - Can't you chill until Curry has played ONE freakin' game as Knick before you set him up to fail under the weight of your arbitrary bleatings about his immediate performance?

I'm certain you will derive your share of pleasure in booing Curry the moment he has a sub-par performance or does not play "mean", whatever that means.

The Knicks are a work in progress and so far I could not be more satisfied with the EFFORT and FUNDAMENTALS described by the President in balancing the composition of the roster.

Where there were NO centers ( or players over 6.9) there are suddenly three. There are athletic yoots where there were aging role players.

There is no Bruno Sundov, Eric Chenowith or Travis Knight.

I find the possibilities positively exhilirating and choose NOT to hurl veiled threats and stereotypes of intelligence at Curry, or anyone else who wears the orange and blue, before the season even starts

I trust Larry Brown will find the right buttons to push

I trust Isiah will KEEP working "hard" to make the team better right up to the trading deadline... and beyond.

(Bynum is in LA, get over it)

It's about T E A M

It ain't that deep.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/8/2005  11:09 PM
we did essentially by giving up basically 4 picks instead of Lee
You think you know the details of all the possible deals that were on the table? That's impressive!
BRIGGS
10/8/2005  11:12 PM
[quote]
Posted by misterearl:

>>The pressure is on these guys to produce without excuse.

No one is suggesting any excuses. I'm just wondering who died and made you boss to set the bar at 20 and 10 to make Curry legit?

So, now Frye MUST play well immediately as well?

Why not expect Rookie of The Year from him, just to make it fair?

>>We made a HIGh draft pick and spent a lot of money on two guys who--in my book dont play mean. So if they dont have that innate will/intensity in them, they have to make it up with solid fundamentals and effort.

You talk as if YOU are the person signing his checks

My point is simple and fundamental - Can't you chill until Curry has played ONE freakin' game as Knick before you set him up to fail under the weight of your arbitrary bleatings about his immediate performance?

I'm certain you will derive your share of pleasure in booing Curry the moment he has a sub-par performance or does not play "mean", whatever that means.

The Knicks are a work in progress and so far I could not be more satisfied with the EFFORT and FUNDAMENTALS described by the President in balancing the composition of the roster.

Where there were NO centers ( or players over 6.9) there are suddenly three. There are athletic yoots where there were aging role players.

There is no Bruno Sundov, Eric Chenowith or Travis Knight.

I find the possibilities positively exhilirating and choose NOT to hurl veiled threats and stereotypes of intelligence at Curry, or anyone else who wears the orange and blue, before the season even starts

I trust Larry Brown will find the right buttons to push

I trust Isiah will KEEP working "hard" to make the team better right up to the trading deadline... and beyond.

(Bynum is in LA, get over it)

It's about T E A M

It ain't that deep.

Remember it's the FANS who ultimately flip the bill, kabeesh? without fans, there are no players or owners.

I like putting reasonable expectations and challenges on players--why is something like 20-8 out of Curry and 12-7 out of Frye unreasonable? Do the math on Curry, with 35 minutes of play he can do it, in fact with more determination, he can be 20-10-2 in 36-37 minutes. Frye to me should be a 12-13-7 player. I want the players to succeed. The way you are reading my posts are all wrong. Im much more of an analytical fan who has an in depth serious knowledge of the game. Im not a rah-rah fan, I like to tell it like it is. Saying stuff like its not my money relly is an insult, especially since I have supported the team as a long term ticket holder and now because of health problems, my patronage is from the TV, dedicated 31-32 years of my 37 year old life as a serious fan who barely if ever misses a game, who playee the game through college, who played and grew up in Brooklyn--there isnt a bigger Knick fan than me--its just that I dont watch with rose-colored glasses. I think you can respect that.
RIP Crushalot&#128542;
PhilinLA
Member: #696
10/8/2005  11:21 PM
Briggs, you're only 37?
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
BRIGGS
10/8/2005  11:35 PM
Posted by PhilinLA:

Briggs, you're only 37?

Only 37? man isnt that old enough?
RIP Crushalot&#128542;
tomverve
Member: #878
10/9/2005  4:41 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

I didnt say anything cruel about Eddye curry, I said he lacked fundamental skill and right now has a low basketball IQ--Im just telling the truth!

"He's got a high basketball IQ," Brown said of Curry

http://www.newsday.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-spcurry094462625oct09,0,5612122.story?coll=ny-knicks-print
help treat disease with your spare computing power : http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
misterearl
USA
10/9/2005  8:04 AM
Who You Gonna Believe, Me Or Your Lyin' Eyes?

Briggs - I said (Curry) lacked fundamental skill and right now has a low basketball IQ

"He's got a high basketball IQ," Brown said of Curry

Thank you tomverve

Now, let's see.... well Briggs MUST know more than Larry Brown

I vote for what "I like to tell it like it is" Briggs sez

Yeah right
HARDCOREKNICKSFAN
Alba Posts: 28
Member: #263
USA
10/9/2005  11:27 AM
Larry Brown really set the record straight here.
Another season, and more adversity to persevere through. We will get the job done, even BETTER than last year. GO KNICKS!
PhilinLA
10/9/2005  12:00 PM
Curry's bright, he just hasn't been coached. People thought Brett Favre was an idiot till he got traded to the Pack and got some proper coaching. People thought Moses Malone was a bust, till he got coached up. You see it over and over again.
codeunknown
10/9/2005  1:40 PM
If Larry Brown says Curry has a high B-ball IQ, thats encouraging. Every stat in the book and every game I've seen him play indicate otherwise. If Larry thinks he can learn, thats definitely a good sign.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
10/9/2005  1:50 PM
When you are 6 11 285 and have all the offensive skill a center can have, you don't have to have that high of a bball IQ or any IQ for that matter lol.

Your job is not that hard, establish post position, wave hand, catch ball, do move, if doubled, and here is a hard part, make a good pass, and you can def teach that.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
PhilinLA
10/9/2005  1:59 PM
Posted by codeunknown:

If Larry Brown says Curry has a high B-ball IQ, thats encouraging. Every stat in the book and every game I've seen him play indicate otherwise. If Larry thinks he can learn, thats definitely a good sign.
do you think Cartwright and Floyd gave him proper coaching?

rvhoss
Member: #777
Switzerland
10/9/2005  2:17 PM
who is the guy that turned sweetney into a beast in the post? isn't he still on the team? What was his name...Oh, AGUIRE!!!

Trust me, Curry is going to be Sweets with more height and strength.

Snap out of it.
all kool aid all the time.
misterearl
USA
10/9/2005  2:56 PM
Snap out of it

>>When you are 6 11 285 and have all the offensive skill a center can have, you don't have to have that high of a bball IQ or any IQ for that matter lol.

Simrud - What makes you think that Offensive skills are endowed to all players over 6'10? Do these skills grow on trees. ?

Curry had to WORK to get to the point of being valued as a previere center.

Otherwise, we should be talking about Travis Knight, Eric Chenowith or Chris Dudley's basketball IQ

[Edited by - MisterEarl on 10-09-2005 3:03 PM]
simrud
Member: #474
USA
10/9/2005  2:56 PM
You know this might be of topic, but this whole Aguirre turning post players into beasts is really getin out of hand. Sweetney had plenty of moves coming out of college. So does Curry. What Sweetney and Curry both need to learn is defense. Aguirre did not teach Sweetney any of that. He is also 6 6 small forward who used to post up, not even a big. This obcession with Aguirre is a just gettin weird.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Isiah Thomas - Extreme Knicks Makeover

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy